This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Puregreen5 9 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Dale Worthington
    Participant

Has anyone seen this young fellow?

6’10 PF, son of former Blazers great, Arvydas Sabonis.

Domantas has been one of the most impressive Diaper Dandies thus far. Showing nimble feet and an advanced offensive arsenal for a big. Dude is also tearing down the boards.

Would have probably been a McDonald’s All-American had he not been playing overseas.

I reckon he’ll be a Lottery pick.

qDizzle32
    Participant

I really like what I have seen from him so far. Definitely would have been a MDAA last year if he came to play at a prep school in the states. Surprised he wasn’t ranked higher on this website’s top freshmen list. 

qDizzle32
    Participant

I really like what I have seen from him so far. Definitely would have been a MDAA last year if he came to play at a prep school in the states. Surprised he wasn’t ranked higher on this website’s top freshmen list. 

CU.LIONS
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing him play. If he is anything like his father, I would take him.

CU.LIONS
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing him play. If he is anything like his father, I would take him.

King Calucha
      Participant

His father was from another planet. If you have seen his pre-injury highlights or games, you’ll agree he’d have been taken No 1 on most draft classes. Had Sabonis stayed healthy, he’d have been on the Mt. Rushmore of big men.

King Calucha
      Participant

His father was from another planet. If you have seen his pre-injury highlights or games, you’ll agree he’d have been taken No 1 on most draft classes. Had Sabonis stayed healthy, he’d have been on the Mt. Rushmore of big men.

rope
        Participant

Sabonis was amazing in his day.  This SI piece covers both the elder Sabonis and some on his son.  It would have been interesting to see what he could have done int he NBA in his prime.  I am guessing his son gets that chance.

http://www.si.com/longform/sabonis/

rope
        Participant

Sabonis was amazing in his day.  This SI piece covers both the elder Sabonis and some on his son.  It would have been interesting to see what he could have done int he NBA in his prime.  I am guessing his son gets that chance.

http://www.si.com/longform/sabonis/

Biggysmalls
    Participant

This is the best Gonzaga team possibly ever. The depth they have is unbelievable. They have all the components to be a Final 4/Natty champ contender. They may not have the individual talent to top Duke/Arizona/Carolina/Kansas, but they have crazy depth and all the pieces (shooters, bigs, defenders etc.)

Does Sabonis even play that much? I saw he looked pretty good against SMU, but Gonzaga has Wiltjer and their massive Center. Could Sabonis have the McAdoo kind of syndrome where he looks great because of what people project him to do in limited minutes. There have been a lot of Freshmen bigs who look great as backups and never progress like people expect when they expect more. So far he looks great, but these are questions I would have given the history of guys in his position.

Dale Worthington
      Participant

I couldn’t say it any better. They’re absolutely loaded. The one knock on Mark Few is how disappointing his teams have fared come Tourney Time. A lot of 1st/2nd round exits and no showings past the Savory Sixteen. Such a complete squad.

Sabonis is getting 20 MPG. McAdoo got pretty much zero burn as a freshman until late in the season. Also, DoSa has a defined position, so that works in his favor. The evolution of a big is always a mystery but it’s very encouraging to see a guy like Sabonis come in, relying on footwork and body positioning, that is to say technique rather than sheer athleticism.

20 rebounds/40 mins. Unreal for a freshman.

King Calucha
        Participant

He was already playing with pro players in Spain. He’ll be getting starter’s minutes come tourney time.

King Calucha
        Participant

He was already playing with pro players in Spain. He’ll be getting starter’s minutes come tourney time.

Dale Worthington
      Participant

I couldn’t say it any better. They’re absolutely loaded. The one knock on Mark Few is how disappointing his teams have fared come Tourney Time. A lot of 1st/2nd round exits and no showings past the Savory Sixteen. Such a complete squad.

Sabonis is getting 20 MPG. McAdoo got pretty much zero burn as a freshman until late in the season. Also, DoSa has a defined position, so that works in his favor. The evolution of a big is always a mystery but it’s very encouraging to see a guy like Sabonis come in, relying on footwork and body positioning, that is to say technique rather than sheer athleticism.

20 rebounds/40 mins. Unreal for a freshman.

Biggysmalls
    Participant

This is the best Gonzaga team possibly ever. The depth they have is unbelievable. They have all the components to be a Final 4/Natty champ contender. They may not have the individual talent to top Duke/Arizona/Carolina/Kansas, but they have crazy depth and all the pieces (shooters, bigs, defenders etc.)

Does Sabonis even play that much? I saw he looked pretty good against SMU, but Gonzaga has Wiltjer and their massive Center. Could Sabonis have the McAdoo kind of syndrome where he looks great because of what people project him to do in limited minutes. There have been a lot of Freshmen bigs who look great as backups and never progress like people expect when they expect more. So far he looks great, but these are questions I would have given the history of guys in his position.

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

I think he will tak over as the starting center at some point this year, possibly very soon

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

I think he will tak over as the starting center at some point this year, possibly very soon

Aderito
    Participant

He is a good player and for now he will be a top 5 pick in 2016 draft

Aderito
    Participant

He is a good player and for now he will be a top 5 pick in 2016 draft

Hitster
    Participant

If he is even half as good as his Dad, he’ll be a good NBA player. I need to check out some footage of this guy to see what he is really like, then I’ll give some feedback.

Hitster
    Participant

If he is even half as good as his Dad, he’ll be a good NBA player. I need to check out some footage of this guy to see what he is really like, then I’ll give some feedback.

Puregreen5
    Participant

He reminds me a lot of Steven Adams, with a better shot

Puregreen5
    Participant

He reminds me a lot of Steven Adams, with a better shot

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login