Direction of the Brooklyn Nets in 2018 and Beyond

Lotto Stud
Direction of the Brooklyn Nets in 2018 and Beyond

There aren’t many Nets’ fans around, so from an outside perspective, which type of moves should the organization make, beginning with the draft, and heading into the free agency market?

Since Spencer Dinwiddie’s stock is on the up after this past season, should he be shopped along with other assets to move up and tab a “sure thing” from this draft class to build with the core in the making?

Just to put it out there, the Nets will be eligible to receive their own draft picks in 2019.

celtics1982
I wish them well

They helped turn Boston into a powerhouse!

They have done well recently. Just keep acquiring assets and developing young players.

220's picture
I think the Nets have done

I think the Nets have done well under Sean Marks considering how little they had to work with thanks to Billy King's future dooming deal with Boston. The Nets will undoubtedly go for the best players available in this draft and they'll be overjoyed to actually get their first round picks back starting in the 2019 draft.

I know Spencer Dinwiddie's stock is up, but I doubt he's worthy more than a late first round pick for any team. The Nets may not even get that much as teams tend to over value their first round picks.

2quick4u
i think they have the right

i think they have the right pieces to emulate the Rockets style:

1. Give D.Russell the ball to play like Harden in a similar system; if he doesn't explode after a couple of years then they would have to think about moving him.

2. Start J.Allen full time job at the center in a similar role like Capela; Allen is a freak of nature and is as capable as Capela.

3. Put Crabbe and Carroll in the wings as they can shoot triples without demanding the ball, plus Carroll can defend and play a role like Ariza-Tucker.

4. Let Hollis-Jefferson finally explode and be the heart of the team, he almost did last year and proved he can become the perfect glue guy type of player; he's shown he can shoot a little from 3 to open the floor.

5. Trade Dinwiddie as he is at his all time high and try to get a 1st round pick or one of the players mentioned in point 7.

6. Try to sign Mario Hezonja as he could really flourish there as a player; if you sign him then start him and bring Carroll from the bench.

7. Try to bring players that are at their all time low value and could be very interesting players that fit today's game like M.Chriss and M.Harkless.

8. If can't sign any of the above, throw a 15-16 mill. offer to Smart to see if he accepts, he's a guy that would bring a defensive culture to the franchise and is one of those guys that gives an identity to the team. He would come off the bench though.

9. Keep Levert, Lin and Mozgov (no option) to come off the bench.

RUDEBOY-
RUDEBOY-'s picture
Isn't Dinwiddle a free agent?

Isn't Dinwiddle a free agent?

2quick4u
UFA 2019

UFA 2019

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
To be fair, they more or less

To be fair, they more or less have tried to do so. They aren't good at it. They were more up tempo than Houston, but similarly focused on threes and at the rim shots. A style is not a cure.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Start Russell, Levert, Melo,

Start Russell, Levert, Melo, Hollis-Jefferson, and Allen

Levert is your 6th man

Dimwiddle is your insurance for Russell

Trade Lin and Carroll for Melo

Trade Mozgov if you can

draft best available player

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
They can finally start

They can finally start tanking. Nobody is untouchable on this team but Jarrett Allen. They were just stalling and showing ownership/fanbase that they are trying.

festar35
festar35's picture
Was a huge fan of the Carter,

Was a huge fan of the Carter, Kidd & Jefferson Nets, but nowadays want them to do well because Sean Marks is in charge of the team.

I think they have a few above average role players in D'angelo Russell, Caris Levert & Jarrett Allen, these are the guys that I would keep to build with. Russell seems like he could be a nice scoring combo guard like CJ McCollum although maybe not quite as good. Jarrett Allen looks like he could develop into a very nice defensive player and has shown signs of a jump shot, I think he can carve out a nice starting C career.
Caris Levert really intrigues me, he can do it all. He has the ability to be a starting PG, SG or SF given his size and skill set. In saying all of that I think his best spot could be as a 6th man who can come in and fill anyone of those spots and still get 24mpg+.

Outside of all of that they have a lot of work to do. They should take BPA with 29th pick and then look to next summer when they get their own pick which they'll be hoping they can get a franchise talent with. They will also have a tonne of cap space available to them with only $40mil guaranteed.

Jr. ROXAS
Jr. ROXAS's picture
As mentioned, DLo, Allen and

As mentioned, DLo, Allen and Levert are their main guys. All are starting caliber players in this league and grow a little more.as

RHJ seems lke a good fit in today's NBA as a starting 4. The Nets want him to be their Draymon Green, but I'm worried about his strength and rebounding as the Nets would get routinely crushed by bigger teams if he's playing the 5. His defense also isn't in the level of Draymond yet. I do love his finishing ability though.

Allen Crabbe is also a core piece in their team and they should keep him. His ability to shoot of off pindowns ala JJ Reddick puts a whole different dimension to their offense. Players like him who aren't specifically spot-up shooters are hard to come by. He'd be a nice 6th man, but I'd want to see him start with DLo as they've developed some nice chemistry on the court.

Lastly, players like Lin and Harris also have value. Lin is best suited a back-up score first guard, just like what he did when he was with the Hornets with Kemba. He actually was a leading 6th man candidate back then. If they can retain Joe Harris for like 6-7 mil, I'd say go for it. He is a decent defender and has the same traits as Crabbe as a shooter. Can really bring pump to that second unit.

kobyz
kobyz's picture
RHJ seems more of Thadd Young

RHJ seems more of Thadd Young type player, and why everyone undervalue and overlooking Spancer Dinwiddie, it's because he's not flashy?

Jr. ROXAS
Jr. ROXAS's picture
Yea, didnt mention Dinwiddie

Yea, didnt mention Dinwiddie because I think there is a high probability he'd get traded while his stock is high. Atkinson kinda tinkered with the Dinwiddie, Dlo combination but it didn't work out. I love him though. Poised, high IQ player with a good stroke. One problem with his game though is that when you run him off the three point line, he will be inefficient as hell.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Sean Marks was a journeyman

Sean Marks was a journeyman NBA player but he won a title as a player and was an assistant Coach when he won another both with the Spurs.

With what he had to work with he generated a few picks and managed to add Russell during a trade. He seems to have drafted fairly well so far with his limited picks he has had to use.

With 29th pick this year it will likely be BPA.

Doing the Russell trade and taking on Mosgov plus taking on Carroll's salary they won't have much cap space this summer. They had wanted to sign Allen Crabbe so when they took him on from the Blazers I wouldn't call this a salary dump.

It will be more of making do with what they have next season and hoping to land a good pick. This season just gone they seemed to pull together as a team and improved from 20 to 28 wins which was encouraging. Whilst it would be good to improve again they almost don't want to improve too much as it could cost them a high lottery pick!

What they do with D'Angelo Russell will be interesting, they could extend him this summer if they want but he only played 48 games last year so they will hopefully have some upside from him. But as they didn't draft him we don't know if Sean Marks sees him as a core piece of their future plans, if he could get a good pick or future pick for him, he could just decide to cash in on him.

Dazzling Dunks ...
I actually think things are

I actually think things are looking upward for the first time in a long time. They still have some bad contracts on their books, but those were kind of just the cost of doing business considering the predicament they were in. Guys like mozgov, Carroll, crabbe will become more tradable in the next few years and are almost out of the draft purgatory they put themselves in with the Pierce/Garnett trade. Atkinson is a grinder as a coach who has at least created a culture, even though they are still lacking an identity. I was hoping to see more from Russell last season, but injuries kind of slowed him down. Hopefully he has an injury free season this year and they put the ball in his hands and really see what he can do with the shackles off. They have some other young intriguing pieces on the roster but I think they need to determine if Russell is really a guy they can build around and start to develop a system that will maximize his talents.

I’d gauge the market on dinwiddie for sure, but I’m kind of skeptical he could net them a first rounder in return and I honestly wouldn’t mind keeping him around as a back up pg and insurance policy. I don’t think there is any way they could possibly move into this years lottery, as they just lack the assets at this time. The goal for them should just be to stay patient and build with the young players they currently have in place and through the draft next year.

zola
They should keep doing like

They should keep doing like this, collecting assets, developing their young players and not spending money on some averege free agents, especially since they finnally have their own first round pick next year.

Since they have cap space, it allows them to absorb some bad contract for some assets. For example:

Chandler Parsons and Dillon Brooks (maybe even 32nd pick) for DeMarre Carroll (who's not in their long term plans and have expiring contract)

It's hard to expect to get 1st round pick for Spencer Dinwiddie, but they could attach him to their own pick (29th) for some earlier selection (18-25 range)

cominup7
Now the Real Rebuild

So far the Nets have been active but not aggressive with their moves, basically taking on salary for low end picks and prospects...but this could be a draft they move up and select a more interesting prospect. They have solid young players in DLo, RHJ Allen and Levert but still need a major upgrade in talent

Next year IMO they'll be in complete tank mode, so they should be looking to draft the highest upside players available, even if they're projects.

Package Dinwiddie + #29 to the Spurs for #18 and hope Knox, Lonnie Walker or Rob Williams fall. Hami Diallo, Bonga, Duval or Melvin Frazier in the 2nd rd

timinator1
I like the idea

of them grabbing a guard in the first round...Aaron Holiday, Landry Shamet or Gary Trent Jr. Two 2nd round picks would be BPA, but hopefully add some size up front.

If they take GTJ, I think he's the best piece for them, can knock down shots and will get better off the dribble.

kobyz
kobyz's picture
Moritz Wagner at 29 could be

Moritz Wagner at 29 could be good value pick and to fill a tin position with Dario Saric type role player...

Lotto Stud
A trade has been made: Denver

A trade has been made: Denver sends Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a future second-round pick to Brooklyn for Isaiah Whiteside.

Finally, the tables have turned into being the one to capitalize on assets (draft picks).

Lotto Stud
The Brooklyn Nets have traded

The Brooklyn Nets have traded Jeremy Lin and a second-round pick to the Atlanta Hawks for a future second-round pick.

Lotto Stud
*Whitehead

*Whitehead

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Wonder if the Hawks have a

Wonder if the Hawks have a deal for Schroeder lined up as they wouldn't take on a salary dump from a lottery Conference rival I'd think.

The Nets will hold fort this year and see how their pieces fall into play. They can then decide who is a keeper and who is surplus when a number of guys become an FA next summer. If they get a decent draft pick next year and continue to progress I guess they hope they can add a decent FA or two with their cap space.

If Sean Marks has cap space he is win-win, he can either look to bag a good FA or take on salary dumps, be 3rd team in trade and build up assets that way to rebuild via draft.

Lotto Stud
More than likely a guard will

More than likely a guard will be the target, since both Lin and Whitehead were sent packing.

Lotto Stud
Shabazz Napier has agreed to

Shabazz Napier has agreed to a two-year deal with the Brooklyn Nets.

RSS: Syndicate content