This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar kobyz 7 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    ravneetsingh07
    Participant

Hey everyone, I recently made a video scouting report on Deyonta Davis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4WQ7Cf0Ht0

StraightOuttaMyMine
    Participant

Another great scouting report! U should apply for a job at The Underground Basketball Mine!!!!!!!

StraightOuttaMyMine
    Participant

Another great scouting report! U should apply for a job at The Underground Basketball Mine!!!!!!!

tblazer_NZ
    Participant

Maybe a lazy comparison but I think he is a Derrick favors type.

tblazer_NZ
    Participant

Maybe a lazy comparison but I think he is a Derrick favors type.

StraightOuttaMyMine
    Participant

top 12 pick!!! I would take him over bender and brice Johnson!!!!!!!

StraightOuttaMyMine
    Participant

top 12 pick!!! I would take him over bender and brice Johnson!!!!!!!

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Reminds me a lot of Ed Davis, Long shot blockers who run the floor well.. Like Ed Davis he needs work on his offensive game,  I just dont see him developing one, his footwork is pretty bad.. Id pass on him.. 

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Reminds me a lot of Ed Davis, Long shot blockers who run the floor well.. Like Ed Davis he needs work on his offensive game,  I just dont see him developing one, his footwork is pretty bad.. Id pass on him.. 

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I’d pass on him if I’m picking in the top-10. But if I’ve got three good front court players who can gobble up minutes to start out, I’d take a flyer on Davis somewhere in the 12-18 range without knowing what specific players would be on the board at that time. 

Agree with Robb-C that his offensive game is incredibly undeveloped at this point. He averaged like 7 points per game playing on a Michigan State team that had so many other guys that other teams couldnt dedicate much attention to him. All he’d have to do is roam the baseline and roll to the rim and score off of duck ins, drop offs and put backs. He didnt do that. 

Plus he wasn’t a great defender. He’s okay…he’s long but he struggled to contain guys outside and if 75 percent of NBA PFs are guys who go outside a lot, he could have a hard time guarding right away. 

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

Ya, I agree.. I’d slot his value right around the 14th-18th range.. He’ll be good in transition, and will be somewhat disruptive on Defense.. Hes an Ed Davis Clone to me..

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

Ya, I agree.. I’d slot his value right around the 14th-18th range.. He’ll be good in transition, and will be somewhat disruptive on Defense.. Hes an Ed Davis Clone to me..

Biggysmalls
    Participant

I’d pass on him if I’m picking in the top-10. But if I’ve got three good front court players who can gobble up minutes to start out, I’d take a flyer on Davis somewhere in the 12-18 range without knowing what specific players would be on the board at that time. 

Agree with Robb-C that his offensive game is incredibly undeveloped at this point. He averaged like 7 points per game playing on a Michigan State team that had so many other guys that other teams couldnt dedicate much attention to him. All he’d have to do is roam the baseline and roll to the rim and score off of duck ins, drop offs and put backs. He didnt do that. 

Plus he wasn’t a great defender. He’s okay…he’s long but he struggled to contain guys outside and if 75 percent of NBA PFs are guys who go outside a lot, he could have a hard time guarding right away. 

mamadou
    Participant

Legit comp with Ed, same exact PT/stats/role as a frosh, but he’ll be a way better nba player my lord, i put my money on it.

Ed never improved on anything since his rookie season, he don’t give a shit, he’s pretty dumb and satisfied with himself as an nba back up(IMO the ceiling was higher with work ethic, IQ and desire), Deyonta ain’t in that mold, he’s more in the noah/favors mold(favors’s 24 YO, LOL, he improved his scoring every single year in his 6 nba seasons, now a 71% FT shooter, he never played with a top 25 PG in this league, props).

That kid will be a defensive anchor one day(in 2021),  real D, all D,  not only the weakside shot blocking bullshit.

He’ll guard the pick and roll, he’ll switch on D, he’ll be a good to great help defender, and he’ll improve as a post defender with added strength, his grown man body.

He’ll play the 4 of an offensive C or stretch 5, the 5 of a traditional 4, stretch 4 or another combo PF-C  more skilled or lazier than him, small ball 5 with tweeners , 4 or 5, 4 and 5, on O, on D.

Workhorse, underrated hands, shooting touch/range(like a 3rd Davis, Anthony as a freshmen) he’ll improve his on ball game, he’ll improve gradually every aspects of his game, he’s a very green "18 mins of PT, 5th option, blue collar" frosh.

He’s not flashy or showboater, but he’ll get the job done, team player in a winning team, a great 4th option is always better than a bad 2nd option.

Definitely a long term project in the 9-13 range, fitting team needs in that area…

If a team wants nba readyness, a contributor, yes….pass, he should have stayed one more year in college, he wouldn’t have been an impact rookie either in 2017, in my book he’s a "year 3" player in the nba, that’s when he’ll make his pesence felt, a year 5 stud.

I watched a lot of Tristan Thompson in texas with joseph and the skilled Jordan Hamilton, skill sets are very similar at tha point(PF-C, workhorse, offensive rebounder, limited skills and FGA).

But Davis is a way better long term prospect, taller, longer, better shot blocker(thompson is a terrible shot blocker in the nba), better true defender, more offensive upside as an on ball player, shoot, range, i think he’ll end as a better passer too, better FT shooter(so, more touches) almost a year younger than TT…the 4th pick.

The best Davis bigmen  in nba history after Anthony, better than Ed, his father, Glen, and the 2 former pacers  Dale/Antonio, 1 all star selection each.

Ed and Dale 13th pick, hopefully he’ll follow the path.

mamadou
    Participant

Legit comp with Ed, same exact PT/stats/role as a frosh, but he’ll be a way better nba player my lord, i put my money on it.

Ed never improved on anything since his rookie season, he don’t give a shit, he’s pretty dumb and satisfied with himself as an nba back up(IMO the ceiling was higher with work ethic, IQ and desire), Deyonta ain’t in that mold, he’s more in the noah/favors mold(favors’s 24 YO, LOL, he improved his scoring every single year in his 6 nba seasons, now a 71% FT shooter, he never played with a top 25 PG in this league, props).

That kid will be a defensive anchor one day(in 2021),  real D, all D,  not only the weakside shot blocking bullshit.

He’ll guard the pick and roll, he’ll switch on D, he’ll be a good to great help defender, and he’ll improve as a post defender with added strength, his grown man body.

He’ll play the 4 of an offensive C or stretch 5, the 5 of a traditional 4, stretch 4 or another combo PF-C  more skilled or lazier than him, small ball 5 with tweeners , 4 or 5, 4 and 5, on O, on D.

Workhorse, underrated hands, shooting touch/range(like a 3rd Davis, Anthony as a freshmen) he’ll improve his on ball game, he’ll improve gradually every aspects of his game, he’s a very green "18 mins of PT, 5th option, blue collar" frosh.

He’s not flashy or showboater, but he’ll get the job done, team player in a winning team, a great 4th option is always better than a bad 2nd option.

Definitely a long term project in the 9-13 range, fitting team needs in that area…

If a team wants nba readyness, a contributor, yes….pass, he should have stayed one more year in college, he wouldn’t have been an impact rookie either in 2017, in my book he’s a "year 3" player in the nba, that’s when he’ll make his pesence felt, a year 5 stud.

I watched a lot of Tristan Thompson in texas with joseph and the skilled Jordan Hamilton, skill sets are very similar at tha point(PF-C, workhorse, offensive rebounder, limited skills and FGA).

But Davis is a way better long term prospect, taller, longer, better shot blocker(thompson is a terrible shot blocker in the nba), better true defender, more offensive upside as an on ball player, shoot, range, i think he’ll end as a better passer too, better FT shooter(so, more touches) almost a year younger than TT…the 4th pick.

The best Davis bigmen  in nba history after Anthony, better than Ed, his father, Glen, and the 2 former pacers  Dale/Antonio, 1 all star selection each.

Ed and Dale 13th pick, hopefully he’ll follow the path.

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

I hear you! I just see Deyonta as a bit to Raw to contribute right away, Id have to watch this kid in person a few times to really gauge his work ethic and on court body language to actually say if he will actualize his potential.. Right now he has horrid footwork.. and will have trouble defending on the top of the perimeter cause of it.. Hes a project but if he can stay focused, he can have a nice career.. Hes certainly wont be with the same team after his Rookie Contract.. He will bounce around the league till he learns how to play coordinated.. He looked clunky on the college level so hea certainly going to have struggles in the league.. Its going to come down to him figuring out his role quickly to see success.. His Basketball IQ and footwork arent there for him to be a dual threat guy.

Robb_CRobb_C
      Robb_C
      Participant

I hear you! I just see Deyonta as a bit to Raw to contribute right away, Id have to watch this kid in person a few times to really gauge his work ethic and on court body language to actually say if he will actualize his potential.. Right now he has horrid footwork.. and will have trouble defending on the top of the perimeter cause of it.. Hes a project but if he can stay focused, he can have a nice career.. Hes certainly wont be with the same team after his Rookie Contract.. He will bounce around the league till he learns how to play coordinated.. He looked clunky on the college level so hea certainly going to have struggles in the league.. Its going to come down to him figuring out his role quickly to see success.. His Basketball IQ and footwork arent there for him to be a dual threat guy.

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Also the OPs Video points on Deyonta Davis "Lack of lower body strength" as the reason why opposing bigs score on him.. This is might be true but its not the complete reason.. Davis’s poor footwork is more of a cause of this, hes not postioning his feet in a direction which takes away the scorers strong option.. If Davis had better footwork, he would be able to close out his man on the baseline and use his long arms to kill the possession or offensive attempt.

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

Also the OPs Video points on Deyonta Davis "Lack of lower body strength" as the reason why opposing bigs score on him.. This is might be true but its not the complete reason.. Davis’s poor footwork is more of a cause of this, hes not postioning his feet in a direction which takes away the scorers strong option.. If Davis had better footwork, he would be able to close out his man on the baseline and use his long arms to kill the possession or offensive attempt.

Hitster
    Participant

I don’t see him being a top 10 but can see him going in late lottery down to lower first round. His offensive game does need work but a good PG can keep him interested by giving him tip ins/put backs etc. He may never have a real mid range game but if he is a paint playing big man that can often be the case. If he can develop a few post moves then he can be an offensive option in plays.

His main value will be defence and some guys get drafted and make a career of being a solid defensive player. He may never be a superstar but on the right team would be an ideal 3rd big man who can play 20mpg around the main bigs, can step in and start if needed and be used for defensive match ups.

Hitster
    Participant

I don’t see him being a top 10 but can see him going in late lottery down to lower first round. His offensive game does need work but a good PG can keep him interested by giving him tip ins/put backs etc. He may never have a real mid range game but if he is a paint playing big man that can often be the case. If he can develop a few post moves then he can be an offensive option in plays.

His main value will be defence and some guys get drafted and make a career of being a solid defensive player. He may never be a superstar but on the right team would be an ideal 3rd big man who can play 20mpg around the main bigs, can step in and start if needed and be used for defensive match ups.

kobyz
    Participant

Poor man Tristan Thompson…

kobyz
    Participant

Poor man Tristan Thompson…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login