Dennis Schroeder Best PG Prospect in 2013 Draft?

cominup7
Dennis Schroeder Best PG Prospect in 2013 Draft?

Excuse me if I'm a little late for the Schroeder bandwagon but I am just now watching his clips & I am very impressed. He was a relative unknown to most NBA fans (well me at least) until just recently, but he looks like he may actually be the best overall PG prospect in this yr's draft.

NBAdraft.net compares him to Darren Collison, which I think is a kind of lazy comparison. Schroeder is taller (and may still grow at only age 19), and looks to have a body type that can add more weight. I would actually compare Schroeder to a younger, more athletic Damian Lillard. He seems very composed and somewhat polished for a player his age (like Lillard), is unselfish and knows when to change gears. One of his knocks is turnovers, but again he is still a teenager.

With good workouts he could very well sneak into the lottery but if not, some team will be getting a steal of a PG with a great deal of potential.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
I must be the only person who

I must be the only person who finds it hillarious that a point guard can be in the midst of a 5-game run of 15-54 (4-13, 2-10, 4-13, 4-12, 1-6) shooting during which his assist to turnover ratio is 14:15 and have a huge jump in the perception of his NBA prospects.

Theguywithglasses
Trey Burke is better To me

Trey Burke is better
To me it's
Trey Burke
Myck Kabongo
Lorenzo Brown/MCW
Dennis Schroeder
Erick Green
Shane Larkin

I've only seen the hoop summit game and he looked great in PnR situation but he's also has trouble finishing due to his lack of strength(168lb). We have to wait and see until the combine and workouts to see who the best PG prospect is. The PG Prospects are solid this year.

cominup7
YEA BUT...

Trey Burke is definitely the most NBA ready and probably the safest PG prospect right now, but outside of Burke and MAYBE Kabongo who has more potential than Schroeder? I'm not sold on MCW at all

Theguywithglasses
To be honest almost every pg

To be honest almost every pg in this draft have potential
MCW has potential to become the player we thought Shaun Livingston would if he didn't have the injury
Trey Burke has potential to be a Ty Lawson type of player
Lorenzo Brown has potential to be a Vasquez type of player
Dennis can be a scary defender due to his wingspan and great pg
Myck Kabongo could be the steal of the draft

I like the pgs in this draft than the pgs in the 2012 class

Tyrober
Tyrober's picture
With Smart going back to

With Smart going back to school the best PG prospect is clearly Burke. I thought it was Burke when Smart was still in the draft, but it is 100% Burke now.

TheLastWord
Burke is safest, you're not

Burke is safest, you're not going to get burned on him. Schroeder's elite speed and wingspan gives him a higher potential ceiling though, from the eye test there's only about 5-10 guys with his quicks in the NBA.

arowsky205
Right now I'd put Schroeder

Right now I'd put Schroeder right after Burke and MCW. MCW has a lot of potential but I'm also not completely sold on him, and Schroeder is rising fast. I can see him being the second PG off the board. He won't get in front of Burke, Burke is a stud.

cuseflynn10
cuseflynn10's picture
Potential

In terms of potential, you could argue it. As of now, he is not. If I needed to win a game today, I'd choose any of Burke, MCW, and McCollum, and I may even take a few others over him. But his potential is still high and I really like his game. I think we're going to see a lot of overseas players get reached for this draft since it appears to be a weaker draft. Whatever the international drafted players in one draft record is, I think it could be broken this year.

DefenseWinsChamps
DefenseWinsChamps's picture
I love wild hype swings ...

I love wild hype swings ...

Terpsbball10
I don't get why Cj McCollum isn't mentioned

Cj McCollum is easily the best pg prospect in this draft. Why are people scared to admit that? He certainly isn't a sg.

He can shoot, defend, has legit handles and is very crafty.

McCollum is this years Lillard, and Schroeder is the 2nd best prospect behind him.

DefenseWinsChamps
I like McCullom, but he

I like McCullom, but he cannot run an offense consistently. He is a really good ball player who might be this year's late lotto value pick, but he simply does not create shots for teammates well. He is a really good scorer with deep NBA range, but he is not a great passer (less than 3 apg last year).

At best he is a combo guard who can spend some time at the point. That is why most scouts have him as a shooting guard.

flopdownD
He is a combo. At best he is

He is a combo. At best he is a PG.

Terpsbball10
actually

actually all the scouts are seeing him more as a pg. do some research son!

DefenseWinsChamps
By 'all the scouts' you must

By 'all the scouts' you must be including ESPN and CBSSports. Wait a minute, let me check what they say ... ;)

cominup7
Worst Case/Best Case

Worst-Reggie Jackson OKC
Best-More athletic Lillard

CavFanPR
I like what I've seen from

I like what I've seen from Schroeder but he's definetly a project and won't contribute right away, maybe in a couple of years just like Giannis Adetokuobo.

RSS: Syndicate content