Dario Saric and TJ Waren have been the best players from the 2014 Draft so far..

UC1000
Dario Saric and TJ Waren have been the best players from the 2014 Draft so far..

against the level of talent they have faced so far. I've been high on Saric for a while and feel his skill set is at a Tom Chambers level. He scored double digits in 7 of the 9 exhibition games and those teams had higher level players than any Summer league. Warren is the skilled scorer all feel he can be. Unlike McDermott, Warren has enough length that can deal with elite athletes on a normal basis. The Sixers got a steal in Saric and would be the best offensive player on that team by far this year. Not learning how to lose like the rest of the Sixers this season will help his development. Warren is on a team deep at the wing but should at least get 20 minutes a game to start off. It is hard to see that much value after the tenth pick.

lalaila
lalaila's picture
it was nightmare for my

it was nightmare for my country to see our point guard down to shoulder injury (3-6months of recovery)

but that play almost made me smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwVJFeQUm5s

c'mon 6'10 around 235lbs at 20years of age, to have a skill set like that he must be successful

Ara Minats
Ara Minats's picture
That was a pretty play...

That was a pretty play...

Endlessknight
What do you think is his best

What do you think is his best position? From the highlights I've seen looks like he could play either forward spot. Will he be starting for Coatia at the WC?

bobbyb
Is it too late to call

Is it too late to call Jasikevicius?

TenSecondTom
People don't realize how

People don't realize how experienced Šarić really is. There should be no questioning whether he can handle the competition, because it you ask that question for Dario, you might as well ask that question for any player considering he was the most experienced player in the draft. The biggest thing is whether his game will translate. He's already played for his senior national team last season and has beaten some big European teams such as Red Star Belgrade and Partizan almost single handedly in a hostile Serbian playoff atmosphere. (Croatian-Serbian hostility in athletics often trumps any pressure or atmosphere he'll encounter anywhere else). I'll be expecting Šarić to turn many of his doubters into believers after they get to actually see him play a full competitive game rather than some mashed up highlights.

hofstrapride25
The only part of Saric's game

The only part of Saric's game that would allow people to question whether or not it will translate to the NBA level is his "athleticism." He does not jump out of the gym or possess blazing speed and many people have doubts about players lacking those athletic traits.

However, it seems that his game should be able to translate despite this lack of raw athleticism. He has very good handles and vision, especially in transition. He has the size to rebound and doesn't mind banging bodies in the paint on either end of the floor; he seems comfortable (and effective) posting up a smaller player. His shooting is improving and his shot selection is good, yet he also looks comfortable taking a slower player off the dribble and attacking.

Overall, Saric seems to have the skills and IQ to be a special player in the league when he arrives. I may have heard the comparison elsewhere but he reminds me of Lamar Odom during his days with the Lakers; a point-forward. Again, his athleticism may hamper him but I expect the early struggles to really be on the defensive end if anything. It'll be awesome watching him play during the FIBA World Cup.

Mopgrass
A serious lack if athleticism

A serious lack if athleticism is a concern for any player going into the NBA. Saying he doesn't jump out of the gym is an understatement. Him being 6'10" should help. My concern is that you couple that issue with the fact his jumpshot is subpar and it leaves me with concerns.

Ebown5
Athleticism

Lack of elite athleticism is a concern until he proves himself in the nba, but the players that he is most often compared to are kukoc and Odom and neither of them were elite athletes either.

Im a Sixers fan and obviously extremely interested in Saric, but he was taken with the 12th pick. If he did have eltite athleticism he would have been a top 5 pick most likely so his lack of athleticism is already baked in the cake a bit. He has incredible skill and guts/heart though. He has been tested time and time again and not only holds his own, but is a star.

It is very fair to question him until he does it in the nba, but he is not a raw 20 year old by any stretch. Playing with a couple of elite rim protectors in Noel and Embiid will certainly help to cover his lack of foot speed.

What really impresses me about him is not just that he is a 6'10 guy that can handle it and pass, but that he is an elite ball handler and passer that happens to be 6'10. If he was 6'4 he would still be a big time prospect.

vulture711
Come on

I've watched plenty of Dirk, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce and plenty of other guys who never wow you with their speed or hops - but they can shoot, find ways to score and flat out play. Saric is in that camp - so skilled at that size - will sinmply find ways to excel. There are plenty of super athletic guys around who simply don't know how to or can't play

Magic Jordan
There is a lot wrong with the

There is a lot wrong with the original post. Mostly about TJ Warren. He might be good, but to say what separates him from McDermot will be his ability to defend elite athletes is laughable. I would argue Doug is the better athlete between the 2. McDermott also has a skill that will certainly translate, while Warren does his damage in the mid range with awkward shots and angles. There is no telling how he will fare against NBA athletes. You are basing this off what? summer league? Where Dougie was the superior player. Basically nothing you said about Warren is accurate. He could be good, but to say he's been the best player from the draft so far? What the heck are you referring to?

ChuckPippen
ChuckPippen's picture
I really wish the Nuggets

I really wish the Nuggets would have taken Saric.

Endlessknight
Saric looked great in the

Saric looked great in the first half against the Phillipines, handle was amazing for guy his size. Played PF but I think he'll be a SF for the Sixers. Seemed willing to at least try hard on D but I think he'll have trouble gaurding anyone in the NBA.

RSS: Syndicate content