A Cynic's Guide to the NBA Draft
I’ve been an NBA draft enthusiast for several years. During that time I’ve noticed several words that get thrown around in describing prospects. Being somewhat of a cynic, I like to look past what the buzz word is and see its true meaning. Based on the results of prospects I’ve seen described using certain terms, I’ve compiled a list to guide your draft experience.
I realize there are several exceptions. I’m not talking about the exceptions who become true stars or even solid role players. I’m talking about the other 90+ percent of the players coming out of college and the international and minor leagues.
• Athletic – If this is the first thing said about a player, it probably means he is not a good basketball player, but can run fast and jump high
• Big Man with Range – Probably European
• Big Man with Upside (seniors) – Career journeyman at best
• Can Play within a System – Future role player if he works really hard
• Clogs the Lane – Needs to lose weight
• Defensively Tenacious – Foul Prone
• Fundamentally Sound Big Man – Probably European
• Limited Upside – Made the huge mistake of proving himself in college. What was he thinking?
• Off-Court Issues – You will desperately try to trade him at some point
• Old School – Either not athletic and/or can actually score without dunking
• Raw – Not a good basketball player but has shown potential he will most likely waste
• Reminiscent of Larry Bird – White
• Streaky – Probably won’t be effective unless he gets a lot of shots
• Tough – Six fouls to throw at your opponents
• Will Add Depth (First Round Picks) - Probably trade bait
• Will Add Depth (Second Round Picks) – Will probably get cut in training camp
Why so negative ? lol
More like a pessimist
That was really funny, I hope it was intended to be or else I've got no bloody sense of humor lol
It's funny because it's true.
I agree with all of that. lol.