Cyclo's Full Mock 4/16

cyclo
Cyclo's Full Mock 4/16

The team with the worst record rarely wins the lottery, so I've created a mock with Memphis winning the lottery.

First Round:

1. Memphis: Blake Griffin
2. Sacramento: Ricky Rubio
3. Clippers: Ty Lawson
4. Washington: Hasheem Thabeet
5. Oklahoma City: Demar DeRozan
6. Minnesota: Jordan Hill
7. Golden State: Jonny Flynn
8. Toronto: Earl Clark
9. New York: Brandon Jennings
10. New Jersey: James Johnson
11. Indiana: Gerald Henderson
12. Milwaukee: James Harden
13. Charlotte: Wayne Ellington
14. Phoenix: Stephen Curry
15. Chicago: Craig Brackins
16. Detroit: Patrick Patterson
17. Philadelphia: Jeff Teague
18. Minnesota: Sam Young
19. Atlanta: Tyreke Evans
20. Dallas: Jrue Holiday
21. New Orleans: Terrence Williams
22. Portland: Patrick Mills
23. Utah: Chase Budinger
24. Sacramento: Austin Daye
25. Chicago: Omri Casspi
26. Oklahoma City: BJ Mullens
27. Minnesota: Eric Maynor
28. Memphis: Tyler Smith
29. Lakers: Toney Douglas
30. Cleveland: Dejuan Blair

Second Round:

31. Sacramento: Gani Lawal
32. Clippers: Tyler Hansbrough
33. Washington: Dajuan Summers
34. Memphis: Marcus Thornton
35. Oklahoma City: Jeff Pendergraph
36. Minnesota: Jermaine Taylor
37. Golden State: Jeff Adrien
38. Toronto: Dionte Christmas
39. New York: Alade Aminu
40. New Jersey: Jerel McNeal
41. Indiana: Leo Lyons
42. Lakers: Robert Dozier
43. Milwaukee: Taj Gibson
44. Phoenix: Dante Cunningham
45. Chicago: Jack McClinton
46. Detroit: Josh Heytvelt
47. Philadelphia: Ahmad Nivins
48. Miami: Curtis Jerrells
49. Atlanta: AJ Price
50. Dallas: Vladimir Dasic
51. New Orleans: DeMarre Carroll
52. Portland: Jon Brockman
53. Utah: Brandon Ewing
54. Houston: Alex Ruoff
55. Denver: Darren Collison
56. San Antonio: Danny Green
57. Boston: Tyrese Rice
58. Orlando: Josh Akognon
59. Lakers: Daniel Hackett
60. Cleveland: Cedric Jackson

mbunner23
mbunner23's picture
Looks good except Flynn is a

Looks good except Flynn and Lawson are a little too high.

cyclo
Thanks

Yeah, I have them higher than most.

mbunner23
mbunner23's picture
Yea I hope Memphis gets the

Yea I hope Memphis gets the first pick too. They need a Power Forward pretty bad. That would be a great threesome of Blake, Rudy, and OJ. Im taking it your a memphis fan too?

Bradfoms
Bradfoms's picture
You get props simply for

You get props simply for taking the time to do that whole thing...

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I have to agree even though

I have to agree even though some of the picks were questionable to me, you did it and you did a great job. I would have to just total be like it's a wrap if you added some trades in there. Once I find out the order I will post a draft myself.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
dude how did you get your

dude how did you get your order like that just curious. how does New Jersey move up ahead of Milwaukee without getting top 3 picks.

cprizz15
that would be

a great draft for OKC.. i feel like Derozan would be a perferct complement to Durant. great mock

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I made a few changes and updated the standing for you

First Round:

1. Memphis: Blake Griffin (They need a power forward and this is a no brainer pick)

2. Sacramento: Ricky Rubio ( They are hurting for a point guard and he is NBA ready)

3. Clippers: Jonny Flynn (BD is on his way out and he is the future and should bring grit to this talenty softies)

4. Washington: Jordan Hill(They need to replace Antawn Jamison and he can help them soon)

5. Oklahoma City: Hasheem Thabeet They need an athletic defensive player and this fit him and they are young enough to allow him to grow)

6. Minnesota: Tyreke Evans( a 6'6" point guard to go with your 6'4" shooting guard)

7. Golden State: Earl Clark(They really don't need this positon but his versatility and shooting makes him a Nelson kind of player but he will be watch from the bench lol)

8. Toronto:Demar DeRozan(He is a young athletic swingman which they need and he does kinda remind you of Air Canada for a minute_

9. New York: Brandon Jennings (They need an athletic point and he should do well in MikeD's offensive schemes)

10. Miwaukee: James Harden( He may go higher but he will not go past here and kind of reminds of Redd a little bit)

11. New Jersey: James Johnson(He will shore up their sf position and he kind of reminds me of Granger)

12.Charlotte: Gerald Henderson(tough athletic and kind of reminds of JRich; also a good defender)

13. Indiana: Craig Brackins(younger version of Troy Murphy with a little bit more athleticism)

14. Phoenix: Ty Lawson(The perfect understudy to Steve Nash)

15. Chicago: BJ Mullens(The need a big guy and they hope he can learn from Noah and Miller and be a member of the future)

16. Detroit: Patrick Patterson( He is tough and can help replace Rasheed Wallace points and this guy actually likes to bang down low)

17. Philadelphia: Stephen Curry(a perimeter shooter that sixers crave for and has some point guard skills;coaches son who will soak up as much as he can from Andre Miller and if he learn well scary thought)

18. Minnesota: Sam Young(tough forward who can give them some stability at the position or be used in a trade for a Center)

19. Atlanta: Patrick Mills(super quick guard who should help out Hawks for years to come if he stays in draft)

20. Utah: Chase Budinger(give them another shooter plus has great athleticism)

21. New Orleans: Terrence Williams(all purpose swingman who could help New Orleans right away)

22. Dallas: Eric Maynor( Jason Kidd's Understudy if they are lucky enough for him to drop)

23. Sacramento: Austin Daye(Will probably trade this pick but if they keep it they believe Daye has the tools to be great if he can gain some more strength)

24. Portland: Wayne Ellington(They have a great front court and could use some more shooters)

25. Oklahoma City: Omri Casspi(They have multiple picks so why not grab a foreign player)

26. Oklahoma City: Dajuan Summers(another Georgetown product with Versatility)

27. Orlando: Dejuan Blair(they need toughness and front court help, there he is)

28. Minnesota: Tyler Harbrough(Gives them more toughness on the bench but they will probably trade this pick though)

29. Lakers: Toney Douglas(with Fisher getting old and Formar not progressing like he should, this is the pick)

30. Cleveland: Tyler Smith(With no bigs left for them to pick up they draft a good athlete or trade this pick and pick up a veteran)

Csharp3410
I actaully think Griffin

I actaully think Griffin will go to Memphis also. The worst team never wins the lottery and Can you imagine Gay,Mayo and Griffin...WOW! But anyways i like this last mock for the Bulls anyway. I see the Bulls going after a Mullens and DaJaun Summers to back up Luol Deng. Ty Lawson going top 3 would be a horrible mistake, the guy is tiny and once he gets to the NBA he will have to face much more talented guys, DRose,Devin Harris,CP3,Deron Williams exc... He wont stand a chance verse those guys. Jonny Flynn is to high also, i see late lottery for him.

Mr. Basketball
Mr. Basketball's picture
imagine griffin on the clippers

imagine griffin on the clippers:

young athletic core, not based on starters:

pg: mike taylor (have u seen this guy dunk or run - WOW athlete) - 2010 dunk contest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3VQZVXnrZM&feature=related

sg: Eric Gordon (built like a freight train, but extremely fast and can shoot, score, and dunk with the best of them). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htefheXxfnU&feature=related

sf: al thornton (crazy athlete) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IEJAcvhdo&feature=related

pf: Blake Griffin (enough said) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMlt3uG3Fs

C: Deandre Jordan (Dwight Howard athletic ability and build) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2RoJD3dx8)

and then if the clippers suck again...John Wall - WOW that would be a fun team to watch.

cyclo
Needs

I really focused on team needs. I thought long and hard about this. Every pick in the first and second round has a team need in mind. I have explanations for each. In a few days I'll post a new version with the reasoning behind each pick. Thanks Sheltwon, for your picks and comments.
I like what you said. Great stuff.

The8thDeadlySin
The8thDeadlySin's picture
You know Lebron has put his

You know Lebron has put his name in the hat for the 2010 dunk contest. So I think Taylor has no...wait, I know Taylor has no chance at winning that. Jordan is has the Dwight Howard build and athletic ability? Why is he not playing more? Why is he not producing with the playing time he gets? That is a very bad comparison in my opinion.

Mr. Basketball
Mr. Basketball's picture
it was not a comparison: i

it was not a comparison: i was saying he has the same build as him. both are 6 foot 11 and both are around 265 lbs. And he is producing. what r u talking about. have u watched a clipper game this year. he had a 20 rebound game. he had a 23 and 12 and 4 block game against the lakers. he had a 8 and 10 and 6 game against minnesota. he had a 21 and 8 and 2 block game against denver. he started 13 starts. wat r u talking about?

Csharp3410
Jordan to Howard is a

Jordan to Howard is a horrible comparison, i agree.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I am looking forward to team need post.

cyclo the order i have except for the changes up top that you put with Memphis going first is the most accurate with the standings. I found a page that had the updated order. Also I am glad you was not offended by what I did because what you did was challenge my skills and I appreciate you setting that standard. Also to the guy that says I put Johnny Flynn to high, I agree to some point but also it may happen that way because number one it is the clippers and also Flynn is moving up and may not stay in the draft unless he is top 5. I think Clippers may trade down and get more picks from a team with multiple picks that wants to move up. Also I can see Minnesota taking Harden who has point guard like passing skills but that is a stretch because they already have an undersize two but depends on workouts. Evans was taken high but I believe he will move his way with workouts. I had to put Lawson 14 instead of 3 because there is no way he gets drafted at 3. Flynn maybe able to do it because he reminds some of Chris Paul. Lawson actually could go higher because of how Felton's Stock has risen. Lawson is compared to Felton a lot and Felton has grown into a very good point guard this year. Also Lawson has just help his team win the tournament. Hey cyclo, I would love to discuss some of your picks in the future and maybe between the both of us we can come up with something very close to the final draft.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I am looking forward to team need post.

cyclo the order i have except for the changes up top that you put with Memphis going first is the most accurate with the standings. I found a page that had the updated order. Also I am glad you was not offended by what I did because what you did was challenge my skills and I appreciate you setting that standard. Also to the guy that says I put Johnny Flynn to high, I agree to some point but also it may happen that way because number one it is the clippers and also Flynn is moving up and may not stay in the draft unless he is top 5. I think Clippers may trade down and get more picks from a team with multiple picks that wants to move up. Also I can see Minnesota taking Harden who has point guard like passing skills but that is a stretch because they already have an undersize two but depends on workouts. Evans was taken high but I believe he will move his way with workouts. I had to put Lawson 14 instead of 3 because there is no way he gets drafted at 3. Flynn maybe able to do it because he reminds some of Chris Paul. Lawson actually could go higher because of how Felton's Stock has risen. Lawson is compared to Felton a lot and Felton has grown into a very good point guard this year. Also Lawson has just help his team win the tournament. Hey cyclo, I would love to discuss some of your picks in the future and maybe between the both of us we can come up with something very close to the final draft.

cyclo
People talk about Ty Lawson

People talk about Ty Lawson being too small, but 6'0" Chris Paul and 5'11" Jameer Nelson are small also. Those guys are NBA all-stars and Lawson has the same speed, strength and skills.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I also took some of the

I also took some of the players you had in the draft out because where I had them being drafted was too low for them to stay in the draft. I took Teague and Holiday out. Next year both will be top 10 and one will probably be top 5 so anything below that this year and they should go back to school

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
You are right about that but

You are right about that but Flynn has more upside than Lawson so he would go before Lawson. I do not believe his size is the only problem. This draft is heavy on point guards. Lawson as a prospect is just not ranked that high. I believe he could be lottery with the Suns. Not bad for someone who was late 1st round last year and beginning of this year.

cyclo
order

Sheltwon, thank you for adjusting the order. I would definitely love to discuss some of the picks in the future. I like the reasoning behind your picks as well. I'm sure we can come up with something close to the final draft or better. DeRozan would be a great fit on Toronto if he falls to #8 as they need a new SG considering Anthony Parker's age 34 and I think they'll be looking to get more athletic in the backcourt. We see eye to eye on James Johnson who I believe is the most underrated forward in this draft.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
I believe James Johnson will

I believe James Johnson will surprise some people. There are still some changes I would even make to the picks I made. I know most things about the NBA teams and who they have and who they will not have by next year so I kind of go of that as well as who is hype and who I like. I can see some things i could possibly change but it is hard until the actual measurements come out so you can look at stuff like size and make comparisons from there,

cyclo
I hadn't heard that Teague

I hadn't heard that Teague and Holiday might drop out if they aren't projected in the lottery. I definitely think Holiday should return to school and demonstrate that he's a full time PG without Collison.

Phoenix (old Steve Nash), Philadelphia (old Andre Miller), Dallas (old Jason Kidd), Atlanta (old Mike Bibby), Portland (journeyman Steve Blake) all need new PGs, so I think Teague is a lock to get drafted in the 1st round and it would be smart for him to come out this year.

cyclo
measurements

I can't wait for the measurements and athletic testing. That's one of the best parts. Players rise and fall on that information alone.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
They may get picked in the

They may get picked in the first round but it may be wise since they are sophmore and Freshmen to go back to school. I believe neither has signed with an agent meaning they are looking to see if they are lottery. Teague was already a lock to make it in the first round but the lottery is another story. he has a good height and game so he could move into top ten.

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Also the Jordan and Howard

Also the Jordan and Howard analogy is not far off accept Howard has a better work ethic as of now and may be stronger but they have similiar builts and athleticism. it is a matter of a maturity right now with Jordan and how better he gets.

ch15r36is
Ty Lawson/Jonny Flynn 3rd

Not gonna happen. Ever.

Citrusiswow
Lawson

Lawson would never go that high! He should go anywhere from 10-25

sheltwon3
sheltwon3's picture
Flynn could possibly jump up

Flynn could possibly jump up that high but that is stretch and I knew it when i put it there but I was working off someone else build and it would have taken longer to moved him down and make a little sense.

cyclo
This lottery looks no better

This lottery looks no better than last year's.

Last year, 5'10" DJ Augustin went #9 in the lottery.

I believe Ty Lawson and Jonny Flynn are better prospects than DJ Augustin who is shorter and weaker.

I believe Ty Lawson and Jonny Flynn at the PG spot could very well end up better NBA players than the likes of Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, Hasheem Thabeet and James Harden.

cyclo
JNixon-Iggy9

As you can see...

I loved Ty Lawson and, in fact, overrated him in my April '09 mock.

Yup. 3rd overall in the lotto!

Oh, and I had Tyrese Rice going #57 in the second round.

Yes. I knew Lawson was the better player and projected him as such.

This pretty much blows JNixon-Iggy9's argument out of the water.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
"Rice always destroys Lawson

"Rice always destroys Lawson in their head to head matchups, so I don't see how anyone can think Lawson is better.

I think Rice is better."

And even if you overrated him, you were still extremely wrong. Like you always are.....

cyclo
I just killed your Rice argument

Forget January 2009.

In April 2009, I had Lawson #3 overall and Rice #57.

"I believe Ty Lawson and Jonny Flynn are better prospects than DJ Augustin who is shorter and weaker.

I believe Ty Lawson and Jonny Flynn at the PG spot could very well end up better NBA players than the likes of Jordan Hill, Earl Clark, Hasheem Thabeet and James Harden."

I just whupped your azz, MF.

RSS: Syndicate content