Countdown to the Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days by JNixon (44&43)

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Countdown to the Draft: 60 Prospects in 30 Days by JNixon (44&43)

44: Richard Ledo, 6’6 197, SG/SF, 20 years old

A mystery prospect who may have unnecessarily risked his future by declaring for the draft, we have former Providence Friars guard Richard Ledo checking in. Really weird situation, as he declared to play in the Big East in 2012, but was academically ineligible and sat out. Instead of going somewhere to play organized basketball, he trained and prepared to impress in draft workouts. Was a very highly touted recruit, ahead of guys like Marcus Smart and Archie Goodwin. Physically, Ledo looks exactly how you’d like a young wing prospect to look for the most part. He’s a wiry 6’6 guy, and he has the frame to play at around 210 at best probably. His 6’7 wingspan is just middling, and he’s not very strong right now, but he really could look exactly how you want a SG to look in time. Athletically, Ledo is decent. He’s got more of a fluid kind of athleticism as opposed to explosive. Pretty quick and agile, and has decent leaping ability and explosiveness. Will have to prove he can be in good conditioning to maximnize himself after his long layoff from organized basketball

Its hard to give a real gauge of Ledo, he’s projected mostly off of how he looked at the HS level and in all-star events….From what I’ve seen, Ledo is a pretty creative scorer who can get buckets at all three levels…Looks to be a nice ball-handler, and has a few quick crossover moves he likes to utilize, and is a threat with either hand…One of the fairly rare scorers who likes to shoot the ball off the dribble more than spotting up, and has good raw ability to stick these type of shots…His shooting mechanics aren’t the best, but he is a natural shot maker…Has NBA range, but will need to adjust to those kinds of shots, especially since he seems to be more of an off the bounce shooter than a spot-up guy…Was a very talented scorer in HS, and showed high level skills…In-between game was decent, has a floater in his arsenal….Pretty shifty, and has a good 1st step…Plays at a bunch of different speeds, which makes him tougher to defend…Keeps his head up when he slashes the lane, and shows good awareness….Needs to develop a more consistent jumper though…One of the most intriguing talents in this draft on the wing though, because he is an all-around big time talent as a scorer….Has a rep for having a poor attitude….Will be interesting to see how he develops, as he clearly has the ability to be an NBA wing, and has a lot of upside, but will need time to mold his talent and sitting out a year with make the curve longer

Defensively, Ledo struggles a bit….Kind of nonchalant approach, and this is the aspect of his game that really needs the most work before he makes it to an NBA floor consistently…One of those players whose defensive effort feeds off of how things go offensively, which isn’t really ideal….Has the physical tools to be a good defender, and can get after it if motivated, but he should be motivated more...Should look to get tougher and stronger

Ledo is a guy with talent as a scoring wing, but he has a lot to prove. He really would’ve alleviated a lot of concerns had he played at Providence as a Soph, or even played organized ball elsewhere this season, but some team will have to gamble on him and hope he becomes as good a player as his potential says he will. Ledo could go late 1st round to undrafted, his range is pretty wide as of now.

43: Nate Wolters, 6’5 196, PG, South Dakota State, Sr.

Wolters is a mid major guy who has been on scouts radar since he was a Soph. Played for 2 South Dakota State squads that made it to the NCAA tournament, including this past year when they bowed out to national runner up Michigan. Wolters was a 3 year starter and was one of the most prolific players in the history of the program by the time he graduated. 3 Time All-Summit League 1st Team, Summit League Tourny MVP as a Jr and Sr., Summit League Player of the Year as a Sr., Honorable Mention All American as a Sr. Physically, Wolters has very good height for the PG spot and also has passable strength. His 6’3 wingspan is poor though, and he seems to play a little smaller than he actually is. Athletically, Wolters is below average. Not very quick and doesn’t show much of a second gear of speed, or a great 1st gear really either. Not jumping out of anyones gym. Is a bit deceptive as a lateral athlete though.

On offense, Wolters is a nice all-around player….His game sort of reminds me a bit of Nick Calathes, the tall PG who played at Florida a few years back, but Wolters seems to have more wiggle…A facilitator and scoring threat at 6’5….Plays a very controlled game, and can make things happen because he shifts speeds very well to offset a lack of quickness and explosiveness off the bounce…Likes to play in the pick and roll…Effective floater…Pretty patient….Good ballhandling skills…Will struggle getting past his man in the NBA, and figures to struggle finding his way to the rim…Some mid-range game…His shot is decent as well…Has had fluctuating 3 point % in his career, probably do to the fact that he gets most of his jumpers off the bounce and his mechanics are a little sporadic (doesn’t hold his form), but he has a naturally soft touch and should be able to adjust to deeper range…Probably will have his struggles finishing at the rim, but his floater really helps him a bit inside the arc when he goes up against athletic players…Pretty good PG, takes care of the ball and is a natural at finding the open man, especially off the bounce…Nothing extraordinary, but he gets the job done….Played good for the most part when he went up against quality teams (became more closely watched after his play against Baylor in the 2012 Tournament), which is important for a mid major prospect…Not going to be very good in transition…Makes few mistakes at the foul line….Plays a below the rim game, but is very creative with the ball in his hands...Has the size and ability to play spare minutes at SG in a small ball lineup

Defensively, Wolters projects to struggle…Lacks the quickness and strength necessary to lock down guys…Quick guards can get by him….Has enough size to defend bigger guards though….Competes on the glass ( 5 rpg as a Sr.)…Doesn’t project to get many steals or blocks at all…Wasn’t even a great defender in the Summit League

Overall, Wolters is a guy who will have success in the NBA or be so held back by his lack of athleticism and physical tools that he falls out of favor, as we’ve seen so many times….He has the creativity to play through his lack of athleticism at least adequately, but he is going to struggle defensively and he isn’t a knockdown spot-up shooter yet either…Wolters could be a late 1st round guy, but I believe he can expect to hear his name in the middle of the 2nd

Rafter
Rafter's picture
A highly wholesome

A highly wholesome read. How long do these take to put together, Nixon?

Mr. HookShot
Mr. HookShot's picture
Ricky Ledo only as high as

Ricky Ledo only as high as 44?

JNixon
JNixon's picture
it usually take me about 2

it usually take me about 2 hours to do them when im focused. I like to research and watch some game footage to have a fresh memory of how they play and stuff.

I have Ricky* Ledo at 44 because he hasnt played organized basketball in a year. Its really hard to be much higher than that for a guy with no footage since he was in high school

BO-Lieve
the draft is in 7 days....

the draft is in 7 days....

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
Ive read that Ledo's range is

Ive read that Ledo's range is from 15-30 so I don't know where you got the late first to undrafted

JNixon
JNixon's picture
sorry if i am wrong...cant

sorry if i am wrong...cant hit a homer every time

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Another Great Write Up

Another Great Write Up JNix......Ledo & Wolters are 2 guys that i feel in 3 yrs will be among the 10 best players from this draft....

I Agree with ProvidenceFriars...Ledo has been really impressive in workouts and his stock has rose...I heard that Memphis really loves him..But feel he'll be gone when they pick at 41..So they're talking about packaging 2 of their three 2nd round picks to Dallas to move into the 1st round....Becuz they think the Bucks,Celtics or Hawks will select him...

RSS: Syndicate content