Could Sam Miniscalco (Illinois Guard) get drafted in the 2012 NBA Draft?

NCarmean18
NCarmean18's picture
Could Sam Miniscalco (Illinois Guard) get drafted in the 2012 NBA Draft?

Well, I am officially bored on the night before Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd post a new forum. As most of you know by now, I am a huge Illinois fan. And after watching these past couple of games I have really taken interest into starting point guard Sam Maniscalco.

Here's a little background information for those of you who don't know much about Sam:

He is a 6-foot, 180 lb. point guard. He is a 5th year senor, transfer student, from the University of Bradley. He transferred to Illinois over the offseason so the Fighting Illini could have some senior leadership on the court. So far, he has been nothing less.

Now over the first 2 games of the season I just kind of thought of him as a guy who can come in and lead the team with his experience, and maybe give us about 6-7 points per game. But, over these past 2 games, he has scored a total of 34 points, averaging 17 per game. He has also shot 11-20 from the floor (55%) and 10-11 from behind the free throw line (90.9%) during this span.

Now I understand that these stats were put up against teams that weren't the best of opponents. I mean sure, Richmond has some talent, but they can not match up with the pure power in the Big 10 with teams like Ohio State, Michigan, & Wisconsin. And maybe whenever Big 10 play starts later in the year, maybe Maniscalco will struggle a little bit and become just a primary leader on the court. It's bound to be possible that these were just two well-played games against slack oppenents, and whenever Illinois plays some of those better Big 10 teams, he will not put up similiar stats.

But I got to thinking, WHAT IF? What if he actually put up numbers he has now for the rest of the season? 11.8 PPG, 2.8 APG, 2.3 RPG, 0.5 SPG, wile shooting 53.6% from the floor, 33.3% from behind the 3-Point arc, & 85.7% from the free-throw line. Could these stats, if consistant and posted throughout the entire year be enough to get him drafted in the 2nd round of the 2012 NBA draft?

Just thought I'd have a little fun and see what kind of discussion this could stir up. Thanks for reading!

thricethefun
He seems to be Illini's best player

He has been great for the Illini so far and if he keeps playing the way he has been I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip into the second round.

QONQONSA
Do the Clippers have enough

Do the Clippers have enough to win it all? That’s not answerable in October but there’s a lot right on paper and after a little intrasquad scrimmage, it’s evident the Clippers will be very good this season.

QONQONSA
While his ability to block

While his ability to block shots and dunk the ball with ferocity is unquestioned, can he grow as a true defensive anchor for the Clippers?

QONQONSA
Now consider that when the

Now consider that when the two-time All-Star returned from nearly four months out with a torn pectoral muscle last May in the first round of the NBA Playoffs, Horford had to battle the behemoths in the post without having all of his strength back in his upper body.

QONQONSA
With the lockout-shortened

With the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season, the Hawks were constantly on the road and had few practices when they were at home. That at times left Horford to work out alone.

QONQONSA
Now, Howard is the Lakers’

Now, Howard is the Lakers’ big man with the big name (and big game), and a big reason they’re expected to compete for another title, maybe even to win it.

QONQONSA
Samuels looks like a

Samuels looks like a different person, having dropped weight, chiseled his frame and possessing a physique that now consists of around 6 percent body fat.

RSS: Syndicate content