College Hoops: Predict the 2013/2014 All-American Teams

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture

Things to consider:

- All players are evaluated by their college production. You will most likely not have all freshmen in your first team. NBA potential has zero impact.

- Generally, the All-American teams pick the fifteen best players, position doesn't matter a whole lot. You won't be picking the best PG, SG, SF, etc. in your first team. For example, the 2012 first team All-America included five forwards. Those being Thomas Robinson, Anthony Davis, Draymond Green, Doug McDermott and Jared Sullinger.

- There are so many combinations of players. It would really be silly to criticize someone too harshly on a list that no players are guaranteed to make. Just have fun with it.

First Team All-Americans:

Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State:
Smart's return for his sophomore season was the main reason that the Cowboys were the favorites to win the Big 12 prior to Andrew Wiggins making his decision to attend Kansas. He has a do-everything-it-takes kind of attitude on the court. I believe that he will dominate competition on a regular basis. Winning matters to him. He lost in the first round of the tournament and be wasn't going to go out like that.

Russ Smith, Louisville:
Russ doesn't even need to improve his production from last season very much to make the first team. With Peyton Siva and Dieng gone, I think this is a fairly easy decision by including him in the first team.

CJ Fair, Syracuse:
If he continues his upward improvement, I think CJ also makes the first team. He will need to be the man of this Syracuse team after losing many of their players at last season's end. Expect big numbers out of Fair. He is a traditional Syracuse 3-4 year guy that waits his turn to be the guy.

Doug McDermott, Creighton:
McDermott has made the first team two years in a row now, I believe. It's an obvious choice. Every year you have a guy like him, putting up huge numbers against mid major competition. This one is no surprise.

Mitch McGary, Michigan:
I'm convinced after McGary's tournament performance. It could have been a fluke. But after he dominated Jeff Withey, the best inside defender in the nation last year in my opinion, I became a believer. Now the load is on Mitch after Michigan loses its top scorers in Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Second Team All-Americans:

Semaj Christon, Xavier:
Next season's Damian Lillard/CJ McCollum perhaps. I really don't know a whole lot about Christon. But I know that he had a successful freshman campaign, he returned for his 2nd year, and should open a lot of eyes being the star of this Xavier team and looking great against mid major opponents.

Gary Harris, Michigan State:
Hard to not put this guy on the first team. Harris should be the main scorer for the Spartans, a team he will be surrounded by veterans. It kind of reminds me of Ben McLemore last season, being in a starting 5 of all seniors besides himself. I think Harris will have similar production as McLemore, he will probably even have a better season. Playing for a team expected to be one if he best helps him too.

Andrew Wiggins, Kansas:
I'm sure a lot of you will put him on your first team. I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to freshmen. As big of a KU fan as I am, I have a bit lower expectations for Wiggins as most people. It would be awesome in my eyes if Wiggins could at least make the third team. He is definitely the alpha dog that KU was missing last season.

Cleanthony Early, Wichita State:
Early was one of the most dominant players in the tournament last season. He has something to play for nationally next season as some people are projecting Wichita State as a top ten team in the country. It's Early's senior season, and big things are expected.

Georges Niang, Iowa State:
This is someone that really stood out to me in his freshman season. This is one of my bolder predictions, but big men that have a soft touch around the rim and can extend it out to the three point line really thrive in college basketball. Iowa State is going to need the production from Niang.

Third Team All-Americans:

Shabazz Napier, UConn:
UConn can play in the tourney again! That is actually a legitimate reason that Napier will make an All-American team. The Huskies were surprisingly good last year for a team that didn't have much to play for. They should be in for an even better year with Shabazz in the lead of things.

Yogi Ferrell, Indiana:
Indiana's team will be no where near as good as last year's team after losing Oladipo, Zeller and Watford. But I think we can expect them to be just a good team after the last few years. Yogi Ferrell was a great looking freshman last season and got some great experience with that team. Like many other players on my list, I believe he will step up and be "the guy".

Jabari Parker, Duke:
You can probably tell that I'm not sold on all of these freshmen. I could totally see Jabari having a college season more productive than Wiggins, but for now I am playing it safe and putting him on the third team. One things I am concerned is that Parker will get stuck playing out of position at Duke.

Perry Ellis, Kansas:
This one may be the Kansas homer in me, but Ellis is one of the most creative players down low in the country. He really showed a ton of improvement near the end of last season. He can step back and hit the three as well. Perry was a McDonald's All-American, and he is more athletic than given credit for.

Cory Jefferson, Baylor:
This man dominated the NIT(yes I know, it's the NIT). He averaged 20 PPG in his last 7 games of the season and was solid on the glass. Jefferson paired with Isaiah Austin down low will be a handful for teams. I remember watching a Baylor vs KU game a few years ago, thinking "who is that guy?" Jefferson's physical stature certainly stands out.

So what are your All-American teams?

Blazermann
I'm thinking Wayne sheldon is

I'm thinking Wayne sheldon is gonna be one of these list

Chilbert arenas
Chilbert arenas's picture
Does anyone really think CJ

Does anyone really think CJ Fair is going to have a bigger season than Wiggins? I'm not even sold that Wiggins is going to dominate off the bat or anything I just don't think Fair is much of a go-to kind of player, more of a glorified glue guy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
Wiggins definitely has better

Wiggins definitely has better pieces around him. Is Fair a better player than Wiggins? No. But I think statistically it is possible that he will seperate himself from Wiggins if he can take on the challenge of putting that Syracuse team on his back.

goldie92689
goldie92689's picture
Better Pieces?

No, not the case, Syracuse is stacked. Kansas may have just a little better top end talent, but man for man down the roster Cuse is at least equal if not better. Other than Ty Ennis, all of Cuse's important players are veterans.

CameronCrazy11
CameronCrazy11's picture
1st Team Marcus

1st Team
Marcus Smart-Oklahoma State
My preseason favorite for national player of the year, Smart will be leading a very good Oklahoma State squad. I wouldn't be surprised to see them end Kansas's streak of Big 12 titles and contend for a national championship. Smart is easily the most important player on that squad, and I'm expecting him to continue to be the leader that we saw him as this season.

Russ Smith-Louisville
One of the most perfectly fit players in the nation in terms of playing style. Smith is one of the fastest players in the nation and will be the leading scorer for one of the nation's elite teams.

Andrew Wiggins-Kansas
I was hesitant to put him on this team, but I have confidence in Wiggins's ability. I think he'll struggle initially but come Big 12 play, he'll be the superstar player that we expect him to be. Expect Kansas to be a popular Final Four pick once Wiggins starts to hit his stride.

Doug McDermott-Creighton
I don't expect to see McDermott's stats to drop. In fact, I could see them improving once again. Putting Doug McDermott as a first team All American almost seems like a reflex at this point in his career.

Adreian Payne-Michigan State
This is kind of a darkhorse pick, but I could definitely see it happening. Payne has improved throughout his career at Michigan State and will be one of the focal points for the Spartans this season. Considering MSU could be a number one seed come March, I could see Payne getting some national player of the consideration.

2nd Team
Jahii Carson-Arizona State
One of the most important players in the nation to his team's success. Expect Carson to put up some big time stats and help carry ASU back into the NCAA tourney.

Gary Harris-Michigan State
Most of the nation still hasn't seen Gary Harris play to his full potential due to his injuries this past season. I've seen him play in person, and he is a special player. I'm expecting him to be the leading scorer for Sparty this season and possibly could win Big Ten player of the year.

C.J. Fair-Syracuse
Another senior leader who will get his well-deserved recognition. Syracuse always seems to be in the mix every season, and Fair will be the biggest reason why with his versatile play this season.

Jabari Parker-Duke
I think Parker will live up to his expectations this season but might not have the stats needed to make the 1st team. He's on a very good Duke team that could have as many as 4 or 5 guys averaging 12 or more points a game. Duke's ACC title hopes are very much alive thanks to this young man's ability.

Mitch McGary-Michigan
We saw just how good McGary can be during the NCAA tournament. I think that an increase in minutes will result in even better play for him.

3rd Team
Semaj Christon-Xavier
I must admit, I haven't seen Semaj play very much but what I have seen has impressed me. Playing against mid-major opponents should help his stats. Very impressive athlete who is a consistent jump shot away from being a top 10 pick.

Andrew Harrison-Kentucky
Considering Kentucky will have the most talented roster in the nation, they are bound to have a few All-Americans. Harrison is yet another impressive freshman on this list who will thrive in John Calipari's system.

Rodney Hood-Duke
Another pick that most people probably won't make, but I have a lot of faith in Hood. He's a spectacular athlete who looks like has been toughened during his transfer year at Duke. I could see Hood becoming a lottery pick when it's all said and done. Hood could be the most important player for Duke's success this season.

Glenn Robinson III-Michigan
Another Big Ten player who I expect to break out this season. He and McGary will carry the Wolverines this season, and I expect them to do an excellent job of it.

Julius Randle-Kentucky
One more Wildcat on this list. Randle could end up on the first team when it's all said and done. A kid with a ton of talent playing on the most talented team in the nation. Randle is a special player who will create mismatches against nearly every team.

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
There is so much talent on

There is so much talent on that Kentucky team. I think it is going to be hard for one of them to stand out statistically, which is why I didn't include any of them. I was arguing with myself between Randle and Ellis on that third team.

CameronCrazy11
CameronCrazy11's picture
Yeah that's what is so hard

Yeah that's what is so hard to tell with Kentucky. There are so many guys who could be their leading scorer. They could seriously have 6 guys average double figures.

Chewy
Chewy's picture
I really like

that OP had Cory Jefferson and CameronCrazy had Rodney Hood. I don't see either of them making First Team AA, but I can see them fill a spot on the 2nd or 3rd team. With all the hype of the freshman (for good reason) and Marcus Smart staying, I think these two guys are flying under the radar because neither played in the tourney last year.

Ml_clippers
Kirk

Where is Alex Kirk?

providencefriars1
providencefriars1's picture
Look out for Alex Kirk, Jamil

Look out for Alex Kirk, Jamil Wilson, Geron Johnson, Przemek Karnowski, Joe Harris, Aaron Craft(going to be the face of a top 10 good OSU team), and Jahii Carson as sleepers

jmarg25
jmarg25's picture
If anybody makes an All

If anybody makes an All American team on Kentucky, I think its Willie Cauley Stein. He's just a monster. He put up good numbers after Noel got injured. I don't see Dakari Johnson taking too much playing time away from him. But maybe AirMclemore is right, nobody will put up huge numbers on this historically stacked team.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Love Perry, but he's a 3rd

Love Perry, but he's a 3rd option for KU next season. He came on strong in March and April, but I think he's about a 11 ppg 6 rpg player next season.

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
3rd option?

Perry is easily the 2nd option for KU. He is a traditional Bill Self Marcus Morris/Darrell Arthur inside offense guy. Also he is KU's best rebounder next season as he had the best rebound rate on the team last year. I expect 9 or even 10 boards a game from him. By the way who do you think is the 2nd option? Selden? Tharpe? Just curios.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
I think Selden will be the

I think Selden will be the 2nd option next season. He is going to have the ball in his hands, and has the ability to create his own shots. When Bill Self has back court players that can create their own shot, they do. They still use that inside outside game to create space and allow that KU perimeter ball movement, but Selden is going to have permission to get to the rim. Perry showed flashes last season, but I don't think he's any more than an 11 ppg scorer next year. I was very encouraged by his late season play, but I was by no means thinking that guy is going to be a 2nd option and 10 rpg player NEXT YEAR!

I think he'll be used plenty in the offense, but you cite Self's inside/outside combo Marcus Morris and Arthur, in particular, but Arthur was KU tied for KU's 2nd leading scorer as a sophomore with two guards in Chalmers and Rush running the show. Marcus Morris' sophomore year he played 3rd option to Sherron Collins and Xavier Henry.

Perry is going to be used as an inside threat and a post up player to allow KU's guards to move around the perimieter and score on occasion, but I certainly do not think he's going to be their 2nd leading scorer. Perry will be an excellent college player, but I think you're getting ahead of yourself. He showed some really nice things down the stretch last year, but next year is going to be his time to shine. ,He'll be a crucial part in this years team, but a 2nd option and 10 rpg? He would have been at 8 rpg per 30 minutes last year and he was playing against a lot of 2nd units. In his games where he did play big he was getting 6 or 7. Again, I could easily see Perry being a 15 ppg 8 rpg player as a junior, but I see his role on this team being a 3rd option player who operates a lot in the high post and drops about 11 ppg 6 rpg.

ph90702
Your first team list was

Your first team list was excellent. The second and third team were okay.

OaktownWarriors
OaktownWarriors's picture
Nice list but....

I'm not a fan of putting freshmen on the pre-season list. I know, I know, they were very good in high school, but they haven't played on second in college. Give it to someone that has played some college hoop. And I am very sure Wiggins will become a great freshman and become an All American....but after he proofs it on the college court.

terop
JJ

I think Joe Jackson from Memphis could be 2nd or 3rd team next year...I can't wait for the Jackson/Smart showdown early in the season...

Wahoo757
Wahoo757's picture
My inner homer in me is

My inner homer in me is saying Joe Harris should be at least a 3rd team All-American. I think it's very likely that he'll average 18-20 points and lead his team to a top 4 finish in the ACC.

bouncem24949
lotta sophmores

1st team
Jahi Carson, ASU
Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State
Glenn Robinson III, Michigan
Doug McDermott, Creighton
Isaiah Austin, Baylor

2nd Team
Russ Smith, Louisville
Joe Jackson, Memphis
Jabari Parker, Duke
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Adreian Payne, Michigan State

3rd Team
Semaj Christon-Xavier
Gary Harris, Michigan State
Aaron Gordon, Arizona
Patrick Young, Florida
Mitch McGary, Michigan

Look out for: Jordan McCrae - Tennesse, Kevin Pangos - zaga, Yogi Ferrell - indiana, Cj Fair - cuse, Jordan Adams - UCLA, Alex Kirk - New Mexico, Davante Gardner - Marquette, Julius Randle - Kentucky, Will Cauley Stein - Kentucky, Justin Cobbs - California, Aaron Craft - Ohio State, Montrezl Harrell - Louisville, Rodney Hood - Duke, James Michael McAdo - North Carolina.

finnegan
with the departure of deshaun

with the departure of deshaun thomas.... this coming college basketball season will be the breakout season for LAQUINTON ROSS

RSS: Syndicate content