This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Platypus 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Andrew1984
    Participant

I’m a huge Cleveland Cavaliers fan (though the LeBron thing didn’t break my heart. I’m more of a fan of the game of basketball itself than one team or one player). Anyway, so far I love Chris Grant’s tank job; it’s the only way to rebuild when you can’t draw superstars as free agents.

I say the Cavs cut bait on: Mo, Jamison (though they’re our two best players, they’re better off going somewhere where they can win now), Varejao (totally overrated, there’s about 60 guys in the league who are career 7 points and 5 boards), Moon, Parker, Hollins, etc.

Draft Kyrie Irving. He’s a franchise changer. Even if he’s out this whole year. He’s got so much CP3 in him it makes me sick.

Bring in free agents who aren’t megastars but are solid NBA contributors. My favorite options are JR Smith, Mickael Pietrus, Carl Landry, Nick Collison:

Irving — Sessions

JR Smith — Gibson/Harris

Pietrus — Eyenga

Landry — Hickson

Collison — Hollins

This team would still be fairly bad enough to tank again while Irving is getting rookie lumps. This would allow us to get in the top 5 again next year to snag one of the many 3s that will be available: Barnes (if he goes back to school), Gilchrist, McAdoo.

Thoughts?

Tha_Prince
    Participant

I like this idea and it really is a way to cleanse the roster. Although they arent mega superstars it still would be hard to get them to cleveland in a losing environment, but money does speak pretty loudly so you never know.

Hopefully my Raps go with this plan too haha

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

Landry isn’t that good. He’s a little old and he kind of tends to concede to other players to much. If you are going to trade Jamison and Mo Williams, your two best players right now you need to go for someone else. JR Smith puts up too many 3’s He can slash well but his temper is really quite a challenge and that is not something you want especially when you are young and are trying to rebuild. You should trade Mo and Jamison for second and third options. (Maybe offer more players too like Moon, or Gibson) I agree with you on every point. Except for the people you want to bring in for Mo Williams and Jamison. I agree you should trade those two but ask for players that are willing to help more and are 2nd or 3rd options like maybe Jeff Green. (I mean the Cavs have no one to really go to, in my opinion, just a bunch of scraps)

You shouldn’t rebuild entirely through the draft. Sometimes when you go to the draft well (I mean "well" like a water well) you come up dry. You can’t always land a Lebron James every year. Sometimes you strike gold other times you come home empty handed. You have to account for that, that’s why you need an equal balance of trades, free agent signings and draft picks. Now I’m not saying that you are relying heavily on the draft but when your team tanks and you are suggesting they tank then its seems to me like you want pure draft picks. And then when you ask for players that really won’t help your team in exchange for Mo and Jamison, it just begs the question. 

Irving is good but he is no Lebron. He has alot of Chris Paul in him and he would be great with the Cavs but I have a bad feeling he’s going to stay at duke for one more year. So you might want a plan B. The bad thing is there might not be much else. I think you should try Perry Jones or Derrick Williams. Williams may seem a little soft to you but he can really play. His defense may not be that strong but besides Irving and Jones, he’s the most talented player in the draft. Don’t underestimate him, he’s better than you may think. And Jones may be a little raw but all that potential is there. He just needs to invest in it. He is Lebron either, but with this draft class he’s as close as you’re going to get. 

Just some things that I thought you might want to think about as you try to build your team.

dmo21
    Participant

What teams would fit and want Mo and Jamison right now?

For Mo, I’d say maybe Charlotte(to get some offense on that team), Chicago(backup pg so Rose can get some rest/help and can play some 2 guard), and maybe Sacramento(could be a shooter beside Tyreke).

For Jamison, I’d say Indiana(if they wanna try to push for the playoffs this year) and thats really the only team that makes sense to me lol.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

Great idea the only thing wrong with it is that Nick Collison just signed like a 5 year extension.

Although if I am the Cavs I would be extremely tempted to take Jared Sullinger another hometown hero without the ego.  He is a post player that the team could build around an I really think his upside is Kevin Love with a few less rebounds.

I think Mo Williams would be a perfect fit in Atlanta and would try to package him over there in a trade along with Anderson Varejauo for Marvin Williams and Jeff Teague.  Of course more players would needed to be added to balance it but this would benefit ATL because Mo’ is an instant upgrade over Bibby who can use his leadership off the bench and makes the Hawks bigger allowing Horford to play his more natural PF and Josh Smith to play his more natural SF.  Mo Williams, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Anderson V. is a better team IMO and has enough height, defense, and shooting to scare a lot of teams.

Marvin Williams is a natural fit in Cleveland and truly needs a change of scenario and while I don’t think Teague is the answer at PG he could be a Lou Will like combo off the bench which brings me to my next move.

Gibson is a natural fit with his shooting ability and lack of depth at PG in New York and Anthony Randolph is not.  I would also try to pawn off Anthony Parker for Bill Walker and another player to match salary’s.  Parker is a true shooting guard who also can shoot.  This gives the Knicks greater depth in the back court alongside with better shooting.  Parker would start over Fields too.

These two moves gives Byron Scott exactly what he wants more length and athleticism to get up and down the court to defend.

Having a core of Hickson who I would trade too while his value is high especially if they can get Sullinger.

Neways Hickson, Williams, Randolph, Walker, Teague, Eyanga, Hollins, is a lot of athleticism and that seems to be what Scott wants.

jjonz
    Participant

mo will should be the only one to go this year. A.Jamison has a 15mill price tag after this year. After the CBA this could be an attractive money saver for the team. AV has 3 years 8 mill per so you may have to play him until his contract is runs out. Here’s my deal Draft a stud in this draft (ping pong balls, so you can never be sure of the 1st pick)Draft T.Jones or J.Sullinger.  Keep Jamison, tank another Season get a top 5 pick M.Gilchrist/A.Rivers or Another Elite prospect. 2012 CP3 in Clevland back with B.Scott. They will have cap space. and they get a 2013 1st rnd from Heat/

CP3/M.Gilchrist/T.Jones/S.Samuels/AV with 2nd rnd picks from chep veterans filling out the roster..

or CP3/A.Rivers/C.Emanegina/J.Sullinger/AV

dmo21
    Participant

I’ll go off your trade proposals and I developed a 4 team trade that looks something like this:

Cleveland trades Mo Williams, Varejao, Parker, Hickson, and Gibson. Cleveland receives M.Williams, Teague, Randolph, Walker, Curry, draft pick from IND, and 1st round draft pick from ATL. Lineup: Sessions(Teague), Rush(Walker), M.Williams(Moon), Jamison(Powe), Randolph(Hollins).*It would be ideal for Cleveland to draft Sullinger as home grown star.

Atlanta trades M.Williams, Teague, Pachulia, and a 1st round pick. Atlanta receives Mo Williams and Varejao. Lineup: Williams(Bibby), Johnson(Crawford), Smith(Evans), Horford(Sy), Varejao(Powell).*This would only happen if Varejao is healthy(or whenever he is).

New York trades Randolph, Walker, and Curry. New York receives Gibson, Parker, and Pachulia. Lineup: Felton(Gibson), Fields(Parker), Chandler(S.Williams), Stoudemire(Gallinari), Turiaf(Pachulia).

Indiana trades Rush and a draft pick. Indiana receives Hickson. Lineup: Collison(Ford), Dunleavy(D.Jones), Granger(George), Hickson(McRoberts), Hibbert(Foster).

jjonz
      Participant

AV is out for the year can’t happen.

Platypus
    Participant

give them 2 years, they will have Mo Williams and Jamisons contract ending and 2 high draft picks, it all depends on who they can get

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login