Chris Mccullough may be Reclassing to 2013

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
Chris Mccullough may be Reclassing to 2013

Just when we thought all the reclassifying from 2014 up to 2013 was over here comes Mccullough.Right now he is rated number 8 in the nation by rivals.com and is commited to Syracuse. Also is in the same situation as Noah Vonleh and Wayne Selden as being original 2013 but reclassified to 2014 but now thinks he is ready for college and is an obvious NBA prospect and Mcdonalds AA candidate so he wants to go back to his original class. Where would you guys put him amoung 2013 prospects? I'd say top 20 and man this class is super loaded.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Still not official, yet

If it did happen, I think he would be top 15-20. He has some major potential, long arms, nice athlete and some decent touch. Definitely seems like a couple years at Cuse will do him quite a bit of good, though it would more than likely mean they would not get Jermaine Lawrence who I feel is a fairly comparable player. Posted this article yesterday that said the chances were about at 70%, as he has 13 credits and would need 16. The extra 3 would have to be acquired through summer school.

Syracuse would have a really nice 6 person class, couple guards, couple wings and a couple bigs. Think that Tyler Ennis is a McDonald's All-American level PG, but McCullough would be the highest rated NBA prospect with Tyler Roberson also probably being above Ennis as far as that is concerned. Have been looking for McCullough's birthdate, though as you put it he was originally 2013. This HS class is super loaded, love it. Think this is the deepest class since 2007, with some big time NBA prospects at the top and a great deal of potential.

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
I believe his bday is in Feb

I believe his bday is in Feb of 1995.And lets say he does join the 2013 for sure,how many one and done players do you think would be in that class?

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
A lot more than this year

Here are the guys I see as definite one-and-done's:

• Andrew Wiggins
  • Jabari Parker
  • Julius Randle
  • Andrew and Aaron Harrison
  • Julius Randle
  • Noah Vonleh
  • Aaron Gordon
  • Chris Walker (who has expressed his interest in being a one-and-done)
  • Kasey Hill

Some other possibilities include:

• James Young
  • Dakari Johnson
  • Wayne Selden

Since the "one-and-done" rule was put into place, here are the number of draftees (not entries, just draftees) who went to the NBA after their freshman year:

2007: 8 (Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Mike Conley Jr., Brandan Wright, Spencer Hawes, Thaddeus Young, Javarris Crittenton, Daequan Cook)

2008: 11 (Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Jerryd Bayless, Anthony Randolph, JJ Hickson, Kosta Koufos, Donte Greene, DeAndre Jordan)

2009: 4 (Tyreke Evans, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, BJ Mullens. Will not include Brandon Jennings, as he never played overseas)

2010: 7 (John Wall, Derrick Favors, DeMarcus Cousins, Xavier Henry, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Lance Stephenson. If you want to count Hassan Whiteside, who I believe redshirted, than 8)

2011: 7 (Kyrie Irving, Enes Kanter, Tristan Thompson, Brandon Knight, Tobias Harris, Cory Joseph, Josh Selby. Will include Kanter, as he technically was at a school. Jeremy Tyler is not included, but I believe he would have left after one year had he stayed the course)

2012: 9 (Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, Austin Rivers, Moe Harkless, Tony Wroten, Marquis Teague, Quincy Miller)

So, never more than 11 "one-and-done's" taken in any draft since 2007. Seeing that this is the best HS Class since 2007 (the 2008 Draft), I think it could get to double digits, likely not past that. If McCullough did reclassify, than I believe circumstances at Syracuse would likely keep him in college for a couple seasons. I see Rakeem Christmas returning for his junior season and I believe that McCullough may have to pay his dues. However, I believe that McCullough will be in an excellent situation to succeed on a team with a lot of depth and talent. If he reclassifies, think it might just further cement Cuse as being a likely favorite in their first season in the ACC.

Right now Aran has 9 in the 2014 Mock, only leaving out Walker. Really feel that while Walker might be in a situation where he gets a lot of time and he is definitely a freak athlete with some solid size. He stated that he would like to be a one-and-done, believe he might be though am not willing to say he will be a lottery lock just yet. Selden seems to have a want for the NBA and a strong frame which could see him jet and Dakari Johnson more than likely reclassified for a reason as well. Even so, going to the college level as opposed to dominating the high school level seems like a good idea in these players development. Am all for stepping back into ones original class if you are ready to take that next step.

Siggy
Sounds like a kid with rabbit

Sounds like a kid with rabbit ears. He's had a lot of buzz going on recently.
I'd have him barely in the top 20 for the class of 2013 and not a 1 and done candidate, or at least not a good one.
I still think he needs more time at the HS level to define his game. Reminds me a bit of Perry Jones, which depending how you feel about Perry, could be a good or bad thing.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
GoJOSH HUESTIS's picture
Walker will be in the draft.

Walker will be in the draft. Not because he will be ready but due to the fact teams will be so impressed with his athletic ability and potential. Ad he should put up solid numbers on a team with Hill and possibly P.Young or Randle

Siggy
It's possible, he they could

It's possible. They could also be as equally unimpressed by his skill level and bball IQ..,which could be an even bigger problem if Donovan is unimpressed as well. Walker is very raw and not as good as he thinks he is. He's currently being unchallenged at the lowest level of HS basketball in Florida.

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
I think walker is one and

I think walker is one and done due to his athleticism and size which leaves that potential sign stuck on him like glue. Same thing I say for McCullough especially if he remains in the 2014 class.I would say Walker has the better shot at being one and done since more PT is available but to me McCullough has more skill then walker because he can hit a few jump shots all the way out to 20 feet and he is not as raw as walker.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Seems like he might be stuck in 2014.....

Usually do not like posting insider stuff, but this states that he may very well have to stick it out in 2014.

Syracuse recruit likely stuck in 2014

December, 18, 2012
Dec 18
9:58
AM ET

Junior power forward Chris McCullough (Bronx, N.Y./Brewster Academy), ranked No. 17 in the ESPN 60, was back in the news this past weekend, claiming he was interested in reclassifying back to his original Class of 2013 and heading to Syracuse next fall instead of in 2014.

McCullough has been making similar statements since October. In fact, at the time of his commitment to Syracuse in November, we first reported rumors of his reclassification back to 2013 while also noting that both Brewster Academy (N.H.) head coach Jason Smith and Team Scan AAU head coach Terrence Williams indicated that such a move was highly unlikely.

[+] Enlarge
Chris McCullough
Courtesy of Andrew ShurtleffSyracuse recruit Chris McCullough may have a difficult time reclassifying from 2014 to 2013.

Little more than a month later, it’s clear McCullough still remains interested in such a move, although it may not be a viable option given his current academic situation.

“There was a purpose for why he reclassified [to 2014 when he was a student] at Salisbury, and nothing has changed,” Smith said on Monday.

While nothing has changed with McCullough’s academics, the one thing that has changed is a growing national pattern of high-profile 2014 prospects reclassifying to 2013 in order to head to college a year earlier than expected. Already this year McCullough has seen peers like Andrew Wiggins, Noah Vonleh and Dakari Johnson make such moves.

“I think it might be a case of, ‘Everyone is doing it and I can do it, too,’” Smith said.

This is hardly the first time Smith has dealt with a situation like this. In fact, it was just two years ago that Jakarr Sampson made a decision very similar to the one McCullough is now hoping to make -- and Sampson paid a price because of it.

Sampson, who originally committed to St. John’s in the fall of 2010, arrived at Brewster for his senior year in 2010-11 and graduated on schedule that spring. He completed three summer school courses in hopes of meeting the criteria set by the NCAA Eligibility Center, but he was later ruled a non-qualifier when the Eligibility Center did not accept those summer courses. Sampson then returned to Brewster for a post-graduate year before recommitting to St. John’s last spring.

If McCullough hopes to get to Syracuse next year, he’ll have to hope for better results while following an almost identical plan to the one that led Sampson astray.

“Oh, it’s the same thing,” Smith said when asked if McCullough’s situation was similar to Sampson’s. “And the NCAA didn’t allow any of [Sampson’s] summer work.”

In fact, the NCAA has a history of denying eligibility to students who first request a waiver that will allow them to add three core classes following their fourth year of high school (the normal allowance is one core class, and only if you have received a high school diploma) and then complete all three of those core classes in the summer months.

In McCullough’s case, the scenario is even more complicated because he has yet to take the SAT. Right now he has eight core classes under his belt, with five more expected by the end of this year. Even if the NCAA were to contradict past policy and allow him to earn three more cores next summer (16 core courses are required for NCAA eligibility), he would still need to earn a qualifying test score in accordance with the sliding scale.

What we know for sure is that McCullough plans to meet with his family and coaches this Thursday upon returning to New York for the holiday break. Ultimately, no matter what is decided at that meeting, this may not be a question of what he wants to do or even what he is capable of doing from a basketball standpoint.

It may simply be a question of what the NCAA Eligibility Center (which has enacted new, even tougher standards starting for the Class of 2016) will allow. And if history repeats itself, that will mean McCullough remaining in the Class of 2014.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/national/post/_/id/4791/cuse-recruit-likely-stuck-in-2014

RSS: Syndicate content