This topic contains 46 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar European Basketballer 8 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Probably won’t be too popular of a post, because big stars wont be named, but based on Canada’s (I’m Canadian) *potential* roster below, how well do you think they will do (assuming they make the olympics. ) And/Or would you make any changes to it??

PG-Joseph, Ennis, J. Murray

SG Stauskas, Haislip  (over Rautins who is the leading scorer in a league overseas). 

SF Wiggins, Powell

PF- T. Thompson, Lyles, Bennet

C- Olynik, Sacre

**Sacre over Nicholson for size**

This would have all NBA players except for J. Muarry (Kentucky Freshmen, and Haislip)

OhCanada-
    Participant

Oddly enough Brady Heslip is Canada’s Head Coach Jay Triano’s nephew and Andy Rautins is Leo Rautins son. Leo is Team Canada’s former Head Coach.

It would have been difficult to mess this roster up. You could replace Heslip with Rautins, English, or Stauskas or replace Sacre with Nicholson, Bhullar, or Joel Anthony. The team is looking good.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Oddly enough Brady Heslip is Canada’s Head Coach Jay Triano’s nephew and Andy Rautins is Leo Rautins son. Leo is Team Canada’s former Head Coach.

It would have been difficult to mess this roster up. You could replace Heslip with Rautins, English, or Stauskas or replace Sacre with Nicholson, Bhullar, or Joel Anthony. The team is looking good.

Trilla
      Participant

As an SU fan, I’m so happy to see Rautins doing well

Trilla
      Participant

As an SU fan, I’m so happy to see Rautins doing well

Anton123
    Participant

As of 2016, I think Andrew Nicholson should get the nod over Trey Lyles, though Lyles should be on the team going forward.

Anton123
    Participant

As of 2016, I think Andrew Nicholson should get the nod over Trey Lyles, though Lyles should be on the team going forward.

TarHeelRaven
    Participant

The amount of talent coming out of Canada recently is absolutely insane. They are no longer an ice hickey country. It was always the Eastern European countries and Argentina that was the biggest threat to America in the Olympics. Now, it has to be Canada, assuming Canada’s best sign up to be in Rio in 2016.

TarHeelRaven
    Participant

The amount of talent coming out of Canada recently is absolutely insane. They are no longer an ice hickey country. It was always the Eastern European countries and Argentina that was the biggest threat to America in the Olympics. Now, it has to be Canada, assuming Canada’s best sign up to be in Rio in 2016.

bumbleb33
      Participant

dont overhype canada. they have potential but no way are they challenging USA next year. i doubt they even get a medal

bumbleb33
      Participant

dont overhype canada. they have potential but no way are they challenging USA next year. i doubt they even get a medal

XYRYX
      Participant

Don’t forget Spain and France and the Balkan area always came up with great talents and national teams here but yeah I agree.

XYRYX
      Participant

Don’t forget Spain and France and the Balkan area always came up with great talents and national teams here but yeah I agree.

European Basketballer
      Participant

I am not hating on possible rosters for Canada being listed here, or Canadian players – I am just stating truth. These suggested rosters people are listing, if you put them into EuroBasket tournament, they will be lucky to reach the quarterfinals. I would say maybe even very lucky to do that.

Saying they are biggest threat to USA, and so implies second best team after USA, is completely ridiculous. There are like 15 similar such teams in Europe.

European Basketballer
      Participant

I am not hating on possible rosters for Canada being listed here, or Canadian players – I am just stating truth. These suggested rosters people are listing, if you put them into EuroBasket tournament, they will be lucky to reach the quarterfinals. I would say maybe even very lucky to do that.

Saying they are biggest threat to USA, and so implies second best team after USA, is completely ridiculous. There are like 15 similar such teams in Europe.

CameronCrazy11
    Participant

It’ll be pretty hard for this young Canada team to compete with the big dogs in the 2016 Olympics, but when 2020 rolls around, they’ll most definitely be a medal contender.

CameronCrazy11
    Participant

It’ll be pretty hard for this young Canada team to compete with the big dogs in the 2016 Olympics, but when 2020 rolls around, they’ll most definitely be a medal contender.

Rip255

Euroballer – Who is the beat European team? Apart from Greece.

As much as Id love to see Sauce Castillo drop 35 on Team USA..that team would get abused physically by European teams.

That Canadian team has no Fire. Im not calling them soft but…

Oh wait I just did.

Rip255

Euroballer – Who is the beat European team? Apart from Greece.

As much as Id love to see Sauce Castillo drop 35 on Team USA..that team would get abused physically by European teams.

That Canadian team has no Fire. Im not calling them soft but…

Oh wait I just did.

sitlbito
      Participant

"That canadian team has no fire" they basically never played together at this point.

The best european teams are clearly France,Serbia and Spain.

sitlbito
      Participant

"That canadian team has no fire" they basically never played together at this point.

The best european teams are clearly France,Serbia and Spain.

OhCanada-
        Participant

Actually the core group of this team has been playing together since they were 14-16 years old. They have better chemistry then most teams nationally. A bunch of them even went to the same HS and colleges with Findlay Prep, Huntington Prep, Gonzaga, Kentucky, UNLV, Texas being the main schools just off the top of my head. Chemistry is not an issue. 

sitlbito
          Participant

You’re right but I was saying this answering to rip saying "they lack the fire". Where did that come from,we haven’t seen them play together at the senior level.

sitlbito
          Participant

You’re right but I was saying this answering to rip saying "they lack the fire". Where did that come from,we haven’t seen them play together at the senior level.

OhCanada-
        Participant

Actually the core group of this team has been playing together since they were 14-16 years old. They have better chemistry then most teams nationally. A bunch of them even went to the same HS and colleges with Findlay Prep, Huntington Prep, Gonzaga, Kentucky, UNLV, Texas being the main schools just off the top of my head. Chemistry is not an issue. 

European Basketballer
        Participant

Croatia and Greece are at the very highest of Europe and Lithuania is also if they have all their players. And truth is that both Spain and France will be on downside very soon. Spain already is declining very hard.

European Basketballer
        Participant

Croatia and Greece are at the very highest of Europe and Lithuania is also if they have all their players. And truth is that both Spain and France will be on downside very soon. Spain already is declining very hard.

bmac697
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think Canada qualified for the 2016 Olympics. I do agree this Canadian team has a lot of potential and there are a lot of up and coming young talent. But I don’t think they would be able to compete for a legit medal until the 2020 Olympics anyways. As a fellow Canadian I’m all about the hype, I’d like to see them compete in Olympics, but I’m almost positive they didn’t qualify will have to wait till the fiba to watch a team of legit Olympic caliber. 

bmac697
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I didn’t think Canada qualified for the 2016 Olympics. I do agree this Canadian team has a lot of potential and there are a lot of up and coming young talent. But I don’t think they would be able to compete for a legit medal until the 2020 Olympics anyways. As a fellow Canadian I’m all about the hype, I’d like to see them compete in Olympics, but I’m almost positive they didn’t qualify will have to wait till the fiba to watch a team of legit Olympic caliber. 

European Basketballer
      Participant

They still have two more chances to qualify.

European Basketballer
      Participant

They still have two more chances to qualify.

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Personally, if everyone plays i think they will have a good chance to make the bronze medal game, and compete for 3rd. But without even 1 or 2 players i doubt it. 

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Personally, if everyone plays i think they will have a good chance to make the bronze medal game, and compete for 3rd. But without even 1 or 2 players i doubt it. 

adum
    Participant

I think if Canada makes it to 2016 Rio they would benefit from a dual PG lineup. More playmakers the better you play in international tournaments.

PG – Joseph , Ennis

SG –  Murray , Stauskas , Heslip

SF – Wiggins , Ejim

PF – Thompson ,  Nicholson , Lyles

C – Olynyk , Bhullar

Honourable mentions : Cadogan, Pangos, Bennett, Powell, Brooks(Oregon), English and  Hanlan

adum
    Participant

I think if Canada makes it to 2016 Rio they would benefit from a dual PG lineup. More playmakers the better you play in international tournaments.

PG – Joseph , Ennis

SG –  Murray , Stauskas , Heslip

SF – Wiggins , Ejim

PF – Thompson ,  Nicholson , Lyles

C – Olynyk , Bhullar

Honourable mentions : Cadogan, Pangos, Bennett, Powell, Brooks(Oregon), English and  Hanlan

RUN TMC
    Participant

Powell definatly takes Bhullars spot.  I love murray’s potenial and would love to see him on this team but I’m not sure he is there yet over Cadogan, English and Pangos(internation experience).  Bennett will be on this team as well, most likely over Lyles.  The |future does look really good up in the great white north tho.

RUN TMC
    Participant

Powell definatly takes Bhullars spot.  I love murray’s potenial and would love to see him on this team but I’m not sure he is there yet over Cadogan, English and Pangos(internation experience).  Bennett will be on this team as well, most likely over Lyles.  The |future does look really good up in the great white north tho.

zaphod
    Participant

My 12-man roster:

PG – Joseph , Cadougan*

SG – Stauskas , Murray, Rautins

SF – Wiggins , Bennett

PF – Thompson , Nicholson, Powell

C – Olynyk , Sacre

next three:
    Carl English (if a guard is unavaible)
    Melvin Ejim (if a SF is unavailable)
    Jordan Bachynski (if a PF/C is unavailable)

*Tyler Ennis is injured and will not compete in FIBA Americas.

I take Cadougan over Hanlan and Pangos at the PG spot because of defense and experience.

I take Murray over Hanlan and Heslip at SG because of his performance at the Pan Ams, to give him a test at the next level

I take Rautins over Hanlan and Heslip because of size, international experience and defense (not that Rautins is a great defender). I would also take Carl English over Heslip for the same reason.

I have a feeling Heslip and Aaron Doornekamp will find their way on the team… Heslip partially because of nepotism, Doornekamp because they are so thin at SF (personally I’d rather see Bennett or Stauskas play out of position)

I can’t see Lyles making the team given that there are so many experienced PF’s.

Incidently…

Whatever happened to Kris Joseph? Not sure what his game is like these days, but this team could probably use him.

Whatever happened to Matt Bonnar? He became a naturalized Canadian citizen, I think for the sole purpose of competing for Canada, but then never did.

I wonder if Samuel Dalembert would consider competing again, now the Leo Rautins was fired? The team’s most glaring weakness is rebounding, so we could really use him.

zaphod
    Participant

My 12-man roster:

PG – Joseph , Cadougan*

SG – Stauskas , Murray, Rautins

SF – Wiggins , Bennett

PF – Thompson , Nicholson, Powell

C – Olynyk , Sacre

next three:
    Carl English (if a guard is unavaible)
    Melvin Ejim (if a SF is unavailable)
    Jordan Bachynski (if a PF/C is unavailable)

*Tyler Ennis is injured and will not compete in FIBA Americas.

I take Cadougan over Hanlan and Pangos at the PG spot because of defense and experience.

I take Murray over Hanlan and Heslip at SG because of his performance at the Pan Ams, to give him a test at the next level

I take Rautins over Hanlan and Heslip because of size, international experience and defense (not that Rautins is a great defender). I would also take Carl English over Heslip for the same reason.

I have a feeling Heslip and Aaron Doornekamp will find their way on the team… Heslip partially because of nepotism, Doornekamp because they are so thin at SF (personally I’d rather see Bennett or Stauskas play out of position)

I can’t see Lyles making the team given that there are so many experienced PF’s.

Incidently…

Whatever happened to Kris Joseph? Not sure what his game is like these days, but this team could probably use him.

Whatever happened to Matt Bonnar? He became a naturalized Canadian citizen, I think for the sole purpose of competing for Canada, but then never did.

I wonder if Samuel Dalembert would consider competing again, now the Leo Rautins was fired? The team’s most glaring weakness is rebounding, so we could really use him.

zaphod
    Participant

Looks like Thompson is out for the national team. Huge blow, since none of the other bigs can rebound.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/losing-tristan-thompson-a-blow-to-team-canada/

zaphod
    Participant

Looks like Thompson is out for the national team. Huge blow, since none of the other bigs can rebound.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/losing-tristan-thompson-a-blow-to-team-canada/

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Joesph is playing in a strong euro league (France i think) and averaging around 10 and 5 a game, as a starter.  I had checked about a month ago… I don’t think it’s a huge blow, because this is just for the qualifier in late August, and USA isnt even in it (only ameircan team to qulaify allready, from 2014); only Spain and Argentina should be competitive. If he was out for the olympics, then yes; but he will have a contract by then.  Does anyone know why Lyles isn’t playing the Fiba Americas championship (the tryout roster was just announced today)…. 

I know it won’t happen, and may not be popular,  but I would love to see Canada add one american as a "naturalized canadian" just like Spain did for Ibaka who has ZERO ties to Spain. Every team is allowed to do this once. Who would be the best player we could possibly get? A nba near allstar. who has very little chance to play for the USA…. (Ty Lawson level? Greg Munroe level??)… That would be the last straw to make Canada a silver favorite for a long time to come…

canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

Joesph is playing in a strong euro league (France i think) and averaging around 10 and 5 a game, as a starter.  I had checked about a month ago… I don’t think it’s a huge blow, because this is just for the qualifier in late August, and USA isnt even in it (only ameircan team to qulaify allready, from 2014); only Spain and Argentina should be competitive. If he was out for the olympics, then yes; but he will have a contract by then.  Does anyone know why Lyles isn’t playing the Fiba Americas championship (the tryout roster was just announced today)…. 

I know it won’t happen, and may not be popular,  but I would love to see Canada add one american as a "naturalized canadian" just like Spain did for Ibaka who has ZERO ties to Spain. Every team is allowed to do this once. Who would be the best player we could possibly get? A nba near allstar. who has very little chance to play for the USA…. (Ty Lawson level? Greg Munroe level??)… That would be the last straw to make Canada a silver favorite for a long time to come…

zaphod
      Participant

Do you mean Brazil and Argentina?

Talent-wise, Canada should still qualify without Thompson… I wouldn’t be surprised if they struggle though. They’re young, don’t have much international experience, most of the players haven’t played together, and they don’t have a decent rebounder. Talent-wise, they should have qualified for the 2014 WC but they didn’t.

As far as naturalized citizens, there are rules for that but I’m not exactly sure what they are. For example, Samuel Dalembert lived in Montreal, Serge Ibaka lived in Spain, Matt Bonner married a Canadian.

I think the best bets for adding a naturalized player would be to look at the Raptors; any of those players could probably do it pretty easily (Kyle Lowry?), otherwise you’d probably need to find a player with a Canadian parent. Down the road, the big catch would be Thon Maker who could probably be naturalized.

zaphod
      Participant

Do you mean Brazil and Argentina?

Talent-wise, Canada should still qualify without Thompson… I wouldn’t be surprised if they struggle though. They’re young, don’t have much international experience, most of the players haven’t played together, and they don’t have a decent rebounder. Talent-wise, they should have qualified for the 2014 WC but they didn’t.

As far as naturalized citizens, there are rules for that but I’m not exactly sure what they are. For example, Samuel Dalembert lived in Montreal, Serge Ibaka lived in Spain, Matt Bonner married a Canadian.

I think the best bets for adding a naturalized player would be to look at the Raptors; any of those players could probably do it pretty easily (Kyle Lowry?), otherwise you’d probably need to find a player with a Canadian parent. Down the road, the big catch would be Thon Maker who could probably be naturalized.

King Calucha
        Participant

If the player is naturalized and he hasn’t played for another national team, he’s able to join the other country’s team. How players acquire a new nationality varies from country to country.

King Calucha
        Participant

If the player is naturalized and he hasn’t played for another national team, he’s able to join the other country’s team. How players acquire a new nationality varies from country to country.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login