Can Pat Riley Work His Magic In The 2011 Free Agency Also?

don042488
don042488's picture
Can Pat Riley Work His Magic In The 2011 Free Agency Also?

The Miami Heat could possibly make 2 big splashes in consecutive years, if Pat Riley could somehow get Tim Duncan and Chauncey Billups, to sign to the Heat, for the veteran's minimum, during the free agencey of 2011...This would be like how Jerry Buss got Gary Payton and Karl Malone, to come on board, to the Laker's, for a lil over the veteran's minimum, in the 2003 free agency period...Adding 2 all-stars, Finals MVP's, high character players, leaders, and unselfish players like Tim Duncan and Billups, could only assure the Heat, would be the next Dynasty in the NBA...To have a starting lineup of Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chauncey Billups, with a bench that features Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Mario Chalmers, Joel Anthony, Eddie House, and whoever else they pick up in the 2011 free agency, would be almost unstoppable to beat this team...And they could surpass the Bull's 72 wins record

tli232
.... Motivation?

um... Why would Duncan join Miami when he already has multiple championships? He has little to gain and everything to lose as he'll tarnish his reputation as a Spur great.

td8118
Duncans not playing for vets

Duncans not playing for vets minimum....PIPE DREAMS

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Lol this is way worse then a

Lol this is way worse then a D-NYCE Lakers thread why doesnt he get -50 for this.

don042488
don042488's picture
U Just Don't Know

Pat Riley is the best persuader in the league...He could definitely get in Duncan's ears, and make him leave San Antonio...First and foremost, Duncan made like $20 mill in his career before, so he would'nt mind playing for the minimum for more rings...The Spurs are on the decline, am I the only 1 that sees that? Parker is gone, he's not going back to the Spurs, after he becomes a free agent...Him and Eva Longaria, has made it known, he wants to play for the Knicks...Ginobli always gets hurt and he's getting older, so he's not reliable anymore really, to continously produce at the high level he use to play at...Splitter is still young and has to learn the ins and out of the league...Mcdyess is productive, but still old...Their way too thin upfront, to compete with the likes of the Lakers, The Blazers (when healthy), The Thunder, and the Mavericks, in a playoff series...So why should Duncan stay? When he could go out East and be a key piece, for a contender

don042488
don042488's picture
He Won't Tarnish Sh*t

What the heck would Duncan tarnish? he's the best damn power forward to play the game of basketball...And won 4 championships with the Spurs, and 2 MVP awards...Karl Malone left the Jazz to join the Lakers, and he still gets talked about, as a Jazz and all-time great...He just got inducted in the Hall of Fame, for what he done with the Jazz, in his career, so get ya facts straight buddy... (tli232) There's no loyalty in a business, u gotta put ya self first sometimes...When Jordan returned to the league, as a Wizard, did that tarnish his image as a Bull? No!!! he's still the best player ever, and his statue is still outside a Bulls area...Just like how Pippen joined the Rockets and Blazers, but he's still known for his days as a Bull, and became a Hall of Famer, for his legacy, as a Bull

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
I dont think you understand

I dont think you understand the difference between $20-Million over 6 years and $500 Thousand for 1 Year. Is $119.5 Million Dollars worth risking for a $5000 ring. Sure, sure, sure it is an NBA Championship Ring. Although Billups and Duncan are still Star players, some would argue Duncan is still the best big in the world. They can get large contracts for 4-6 more years and join the best team in the NBA for the vets min. after that contract. Thats what everyone does, it is the only smart thing to do. There is a difference between a $10 Million paycut and a $100 Million paycut.

don042488
don042488's picture
I'm Not A Idiot: OhCanada

Your not understanding, that players do this...Tracy McGrady made $23 million last season, and now plays for the Pistons on a non- guranteed veteran's minimum contract...Malone and Payton did this, so why u making it seem like it's uncommon to take such a big paycut?

tigers04
never

This is never gonna happen..my would chauncey sign for the vet min. He is still playin great ball..and to think timmy a top 3 power foward of all time is just absurd

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
LOL at the McGrady comment.

LOL at the McGrady comment. Do you think he really wants to play for Detroit? Why didnt he go play for Miami instead. Detroit isnt a contender, McGrady is not as productive as he used to be. Karl Malone was 40-years old when he did that. tim duncan is 34 and still extremely effective. He is not retiring anytime soon. He is not playing for any vets min. He is a competitor, he can sign a Max-Contract deal and still compete for the Championship.

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
Don are you telling me you

Don are you telling me you would, you personally would give up $100 Million dollars for an NBA Championship, which is not gaurenteed. what iof he signs the vets min, and then has a career ending injury.

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
OhCanada said it best. Theres

OhCanada said it best.

Theres no reason for him to join the Heat.
That paycut would make me cry.

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Tim Duncan and Billups can

Tim Duncan and Billups can both play. I doubt they go to Miami and play with The Big 3. Niether of them could and would take the vet's minimum.

yellowdunker
yellowdunker's picture
Tim Duncan have four rings

Tim Duncan have four rings for the Spurs even if he loose the rest of his career he's gonna retire there he's has nothing else to prove.....

don042488
don042488's picture
To be honest, I would

If I'm a Hall of Fame caliber player, and I have the chance to add more rings to my resume, and surpass Michael Jordan, with his 6 rings, plus already made my share of money before, yeah, I would accept the veteran's minimum...Duncan playing with the SuperFriends and Billups, could add like 3 to 4 more rings to his resume, surpassing Jordan's 6 rings, and possibly putting Duncan in the category of not just the best power forwardf, but top 5 best player, to play the game, so yeah, that's alot more important than cash

Mr.Knick 32
Mr.Knick 32's picture
Jordan won 6 titles as the

Jordan won 6 titles as the main guy.

If Duncan went to Miami to win more rings, That would be sad. He wouldn't win them as the best player on his team either. He'd probably be 3rd behind James and Wade.

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
I agree with Mr.Knick. Get as

I agree with Mr.Knick.
Get as many rings as you want but he he wont be the main guy on that team.
I doubt he cares about his "rank" behind Jordan anyways.

don042488
don042488's picture
Umm

Kareem, Magic, and Worthy, did it, and are still recognizable Hall of Famers...Drexler was a profilic scorer for the Blazers for years, and the minute he teamed up with Hakeem, he won a ring

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
But Duncan has already won 4

But Duncan has already won 4 rings.
Im pretty sure Drexler didnt sign for the vet min. Lol.

boxn1
boxn1's picture
Tim will retire as a spur,he

Tim will retire as a spur,he doesnt need a ring unless it has spurs on it

yellowdunker
yellowdunker's picture
Bill Russell have 11 he's not

Bill Russell have 11 he's not top 5 player in NBA history (IMO)

billyk
Why is everbody so sure that

Why is everbody so sure that Duncan will retire a Spur, I could see him finishing his career elsewhere if the Spurs enter a rebuilding mode...

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
How many things can you buy

How many things can you buy with 100 Million Dollars to keep your mind off of the huge dissapointed of not being the best player ever...Well lets start with a yacht, then a helicopter to fly on and off your yacht, and a castle to land your helicopter and go to when your bored of your yacht, you can build a mansion inside of your castle, and a racecartrack on the perimeter of the castle with a Shelby GT-500, Lambourghini Diablo, Ferrari Enzo, Dodge Viper, and still have change to buy Ron Artest's NBA Championship Ring!

You definitely would not pass up that money. Dont be a fool!

hiphopismylife
hiphopismylife's picture
Yeah Malone and Payton didnt

Yeah Malone and Payton didnt that because they didnt have rings. Duncan has his and is also very loyal to the spurs.

Mavs41
just stop

just stop

RSS: Syndicate content