Bulls 2014!!

druneave3
druneave3's picture
Bulls 2014!!

Yet another Bulls rebuild post, but yes, I am throwing all my eggs in the Melo to Chicago basket!!

Several years ago the Bulls were in discussions to get Melo via trade in return for Noah, Gibson, others, and picks. Now it is possible that those three form the best frontcourt in the league.

I don't think Deng is willing to take the pay cut the Bulls want to give him, and the Bulls aren't willing to pay him what he wants (since he can't dribble or score over 20 points consistently). One beat writer is stated as saying that in all reality he will be gone. Most people have always thought that after this year is when Boozer will be amnestied and Mirotic will head over. The latest rumors over the past year or so is that the Bulls have no desire to dump Boozer. However, if it means bringing in the league's most versatile scorer, immensely increasing your chances at winning a title, and having any type of financial flexibility whatsoever, that would be the way to go. It is only early in the preseason but Taj Gibson is playing with extreme confidence and scoring the ball extremely efficient. Due to his defensive prowess and his offensive productivity as of late he would be an upgrade of Boozer anyways given the fact that Boozer is probably the worst help side defender in the league.

They will soon have to pay Jimmy Butler in the range of $7-$10 million along with Mirotic who will demand just under that, but the expiring contracts of Deng, Hinrich, and Boozer (amnestied) will allow them to do that while also having some flexibility, albeit very slight. They will need to replace the backup PG and C positions with losing veterans Hinrich and Nazr after this season but hopefully they could find players who don't fall apart, i.e. Hinrich, and someone who can actually run (Nazr). Ramon Sessions and Greg Stiemsma are two guys I would look at.

Rose has been "more explosive" this year and hopefully next year he can be "more of a recruiter" to entice Melo to bring his talents to the Windy City. I cannot think of a better place for him if he wants to win. They will have the money. He won't be required to play the 4 that often. He would be surrounded by defensive players and a coach who brings out the best in everyone (see: Marco Belinelli, Nate Robinson, John Lucas, etc.). And last but definitely not last, playing along side the best point guard in the game. That two-man game would be unguardable! Having Melo would take so much pressure off of Rose, especially during late game situations.

They would truly be the favorites to knock off the Heat if Melo went to the Bulls in 2014! Until then I will just enjoy watching D Rose back in action, but this will always be something in the back of my mind.

Moon River
Moon River's picture
Bulls 2014 and the La La Factor

I think it would be very intriuging to see Melo in Chicago but I have two major doubts/concerns. Will Melo play the defense that Thibs demands and the La La factor.

Mrs. Melo is an actress which pretty much demands she be in NYC or LA. That is a problem for Chicago.

But the big issue you hit on is that the Bulls NEED a #2 legit scorer to go with Rose. Yes, Noah and Deng are all stars but they are not enough.

44ears81
44ears81's picture
I think with the addition of

I think with the addition of Drew Gooden, the Bulls could be a championship caliber team.

TarHeelRaven
TarHeelRaven's picture
just stop posting dude...

just stop posting dude...

Tyrober
Tyrober's picture
Melo will either be in LA or

Melo will either be in LA or back in New York. He wants the biggest stage possible and he wants to be the main guy doing it. For basketball reasons it would make a ton of sense for him to head down to Chicago, but I can't see him going there.

Siggy
The Knicks could offer him a

The Knicks could offer him a contract at 24 mill per yr plus max raises for 5 yrs. Any other team could offer him 19 mill per yr plus min raises for 4 yrs. Melo is about that paper and he will get his max extension from the Knicks. Any other team I just see being a pawn for him to get that max deal.
You can bring up how Dwight turned down money to sign with HOU, but the difference is that Dwight can opt out when he's 30. Barring a catastrophic injury, he will still be in line for another max deal then. OTOH, if Melo signs a 4 yr deal, he will be ~ 34 when he's up for another deal.

druneave3
druneave3's picture
$$

At some point you think he would care more about winning championships rather than $$ or being the "main guy." That is what I am hoping for anyways. Looking at his history, you are probably right though. Dream killer Siggy. Winning titles brings in more $$ and fame anyways so I am hoping he realizes that and chooses Chicago.

He doesn't need a pawn or bargaining chip in order to get a max deal. It just depends on him and what he wants his legacy to be.

KHAM83
Sure, the Bulls needs a

Sure, the Bulls needs a second scorer, but I'm not sure he and Mello are a good fit. They both need the ball to be effective. What Rose needs is a consistent offensive post presence that can play off of Rose, ie pick and roll. I guess this is what Chicago is banking on Mirotic providing. As for Mello, I don't think he'll ever appreciate a coach who gets in his grill to play defense and he needs the largest market possible, v ie new York, LA. I I think he stays in NY.

On another note, a trade idea I would like to see is Boozer/Mirotic to Atlanta for Horford. As a Hawks fan, my argument to Chicago is why bank so much in Mirotic panning out? Take Horford, who gives you what you are paying Boozer for and you know meshes in the front court will Noah and try to win now. As a Hawks fan, Im actually hoping Mirotic actually pans out while allowing us to tank this year :-)

druneave3
druneave3's picture
Pick n Roll

So Rose and Melo couldn't make for an unstoppable pick n roll duo?

Rose has all the makings of a true point and is extremely unselfish. He is only asked to take on the scoring load because he has no one else on the team that is capable. That is where Melo comes in, and the reason he would be a perfect fit.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Melo has said today that he

Melo has said today that he will likely explore FA next summer but contract wise he will leave a load of money on the table if he moves on. I had wondered whether he would opt in for 2014-15 then see what the Knicks are going to do when Chander, Bargnani and STAT's contracts clear and they get some cap space.

The canny thing for him to do might now be get a max 5 year with the Knicks next summer but have a player option for year 3 in 2016 so if the Knicks FA moves didn't bring what he hoped he would not be tied there or he would likely be traded if he said that he would opt out. This way he could move on whilst still on his large contract.

Personally I think a lot will depend what all other major FA's do next summer from LeBron downwards, I just think one or two with player options may opt in especially in the case of D-Wade.

D-Rose and Melo would be fantastic together but I do wonder whether they could get enough touches each and I still think that Melo will likely stay in NY given the profile and stage he has there and the bigger contract they can offer him.

druneave3
druneave3's picture
Neg

I negged myself. He's staying in NY. $$$.

I just want a championship in Chicago and got excited when I heard the news about him wanting to be a FA.

44ears81
44ears81's picture
not until i get 1000 pts

not until i get 1000 pts

ditotay
ditotay's picture
Aside from the fact

that Melo doesn't want to play for Chicago and Rose doesn't want to recruit players I think that he is not the type of player Chicago wants for its roster. He tends to be a ballhog on offense and his defense would drive Thibs crazy (I'm picturing him pulling his hair and crying claiming for god's help). He wants to be the alpha dog in the team, so I think he is going to sign with the Knicks with a clause that allow him to choose which players he wants to play with. Greetings from Montevideo.

RSS: Syndicate content