Brad Beal ahead of austin rivers in 2012 draft

arc1212
Brad Beal ahead of austin rivers in 2012 draft

I'm so glad this site realizes that beal is actually better than rivers. Beal is probably the best 2guard in that class, yet people won't stand to hear anything other than austin rivers at the 2 guard spot. Just wanted to say thank you nbadraft.net. Rivers is GREAT, don't get me wrong. But beal really is better...

Timboslice
He's Doc Rivers' son and he's

He's Doc Rivers' son and he's going to Duke so he gets alot more pub, but it is really surprising how little you hear about Beal.

sammybuckeye13
sammybuckeye13's picture
Beal reminds me of a slightly

Beal reminds me of a slightly weaker Eric Gordon with a slightly smoother shot. Rivers can score just as much but he's way more ball-dominant as Beal. Beal knows he's a 2 and what I admire about him is how he can play aggressively without alienating his teammates for minutes at a time.

xavier328
xavier328's picture
Beal also a good

Beal also a good defender....he's not just a scorer!

askaround
Beal better....

I dont think he's better than Rivers...Rivers plays like a star and wants to be one. That says alot about a kid...he's cocky...but hes good.

cbelford
u mean he's cocky and a ball

u mean he's cocky and a ball hog

TaylorCondrin
TaylorCondrin's picture
hes a ballhog, has poor

hes a ballhog, has poor demeanor on the court, and is a whiny punk. beal bangs out tough. ill take him and jermaine over austin and jeremiah any day of the week

mess.eee
mess.eee's picture
Beal is not better than

Beal is not better than Rivers. Rivers is a better one on one/ISO scorer, quicker first step, more athletic and has better length. The hate/dislike towards Rivers comes in the territory of having alot of hype, but he is the best guard in 2012 class, Beal is not better than him, and that's fact whether you hate Rivers or not.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
Jermaine Beal is Bradley

Jermaine Beal is Bradley Beal's brother? Didn't know that

Johnny Chill
Johnny Chill's picture
Rankings

They will change!

Knicksboy3
If you think Beal is better

If you think Beal is better then Rivers....ya'll crazy man.

Bullyball5050
I like Beals game alot strong

I like Beals game alot strong build good defender even though i think its was a horrible choice going to Florida but to me he is better than Rivers change his last name an theres goes the hype another Kenny Boynton IMO

kobyz
kobyz's picture
at the end of the season

at the end of the season Rivers will be a top 5 pick while Brad Beal doubtful lottery!

hiphopismylife
hiphopismylife's picture
They haven't even played

They haven't even played college ball yet so it'll play itself as to who is the better prospect. A lot can change. I agree Beal is overlooked and the argument could be made hes gotten the better of Rivers head to head, but as far as projecting goes, Rivers seems to have more upside. His stock has slipped of late because he seems more and more dependent on clear outs and playing a 1 on 1 game, whereas Beal's game is smooth and efficient, where he can fit in with anybody and doesn't have to dominate the ball or take away from others as much. Beal is a very easy player to like, while Rivers seems to have a love/hate following.

Im not so sure Beal is not just as good today, but projecting them going forward I would guess Rivers will have a better pro career. Beal seems much closer to a finished product, and seems like a classic finishing two guard who will run off screens, catch and shoot, and finish in transition. He could play alongside just about anybody.

Rivers on the other hand has the rarer ability to get a shot he's capable of making on nearly any possesion, which is what seems to breed superstardom in the league.

Frankly, they're two of the safest picks in the 2012 mock.

DMV_LeGenD
DMV_LeGenD's picture
^^^THIS

^^^THIS

arc1212
I think about it like this

Yes both of their individual skills are great, and you could even give rivers the nod in this aspect. I'll agree with that and rivers' individual scoring is jaw dropping but beal is not far behind. Let's also remember when head to head, beal has definitely gotten the better of rivers. But the deciding factor for me is, if I'm creating a dream "team" from the class of 2011 that actually contends for a championship, I'd pick beal over rivers. Simply because rivers dominates the ball and has to score. I feel like he takes away from other players abilities, and is almost too much 1 on 1. But beal doesn't dominate the ball, yet he still scores and doesn't take away from his teammates. Regardless, both are fantastic. I like the Eric Gordon comparison to beal. I think hiphopismylife was dead on.

bjcart53
I think right now beal is

I think right now beal is clear cut better than rivers. I watched a few of their games and beal ran some 1 and 2 while rivers tried to run some 1 but it hurt the team. Rivers can score in bunches but is average going left. Beal is the better athlete too. Athleticism is more than someone getting two feet under them in a dunk contest and dunking it. Beal is better on the boards and is a better defender and will even block some shots, and throw down ferocious dunks. Rivers will show you his athleticism on one end at this stage. That's how i judge it anyway. They will both be really good players but i think beal has the upper hand to be better in the league at this stage. He played good defense on BJ Young and BJ young is a very fast, highly skilled pg. Yet everything goes out the window when the ball is thrown up at center court, that's why we play the games to find out once and for all who is the best. I can't wait to see.....

OhCanada-
OhCanada-'s picture
They are two completely

They are two completely different gaurds, I dont see what the competitive ranking between the two are. If I had to choose between the two I would select Brad Beal. He is the best leader in his freshman class, knows his position, will understand what he has to do to make a team, and will do it well. To me I see Austin Rivers being a guy that will struggle if he does not have the ball in his hands, will try to do to much, and will also struggle gaurding his position, and playmaking for PG.

Austin Rivers is a combo gaurd, and Brad Beal is a throwback perimeter SG (something the NBA needs more of).

IndianaBasketball
IndianaBasketball's picture
This Austin Rivers vs Brad

This Austin Rivers vs Brad Beal debate reminds me of the OJ Mayo vs Eric Gordon debate.

One player was more ball dominant, had more hype and "star" qualities, while the other player just quietly went about his business and played the game the right way.

Cardinal_Fan
Pro Beal here!!!!

Ive always thought Beal would turn out to be the more complete player. His body is starting to fill out, and i also think he is more unselfish then people give him credit for. If he was worried about putting up huge numbers i dont think he would have went to Florida, a team looks to have a crowded backcourt with Rosario becoming eligible this season. Also with Boynton and Walker being scoring guards. Rivers has never look interested in playing defense and seems content with putting up huge numbers regardless of whether his team wins or not. Rivers is a great talent but i think in the NBA he will end up like Monta Ellis a undersized 2 that puts up big numbers but isnt a winner. If Beal continues to develope his ballhandling ability i dont see why he cant eventually be a multiple all-star type of talent.

river09
It seems kinda ridiculous to

It seems kinda ridiculous to be debating this right now.. both aren't even moved into their dorms yet.. but for the sake of argument i like rivers game a lot more than beal's.. reminds me a lot of stephen/seth curry.. so he'll probably be hated by coach k and end up sitting on the bench getting around 10 minutes a game behind above average upper classmen... lol dang.

so... maybe beal will be better...

Da1pot
Da1pot's picture
Beal will not have to change

Beal will not have to change his game to play at the next two levels whereas I think Rivers will have to make some changes and be used to not always being a number one option, passing the ball more and working on other aspects of the game such as defense and getting rid of his poor reaching habits. It will be interesting to see how often he trusts his teammates at Duke now that he will be on a team with superior talent opposed to one where he had to do it all with Winter Park.

IndianaBasketball
IndianaBasketball's picture
Rivers is young, so he has

Rivers is young, so he has time to improve (being coached by Coach K will help), but I see a lot of flaws in his game as of right now.

Similar to Mayo, I see him as a tweener, not a great combo. He's not big/long enough to defend two guards and I don't think he has the vision or unselfishness to be a point guard. Like Mayo, he's more of an instant offense type of guy to me.

Another thing I don't like about Rivers is everything is off of the dribble. He's going to have to learn to catch and shoot, instead of always feeling he has to put the ball on the floor and dribble for five seconds. He's a ball stopper. He's not very good at playing off of the ball. Has to learn what the right passes are. For him to be a coaches son, it's wierd he seems to be lacking in the fundamentals department.

He's a good, not great athlete. I see him struggling to finish around the rim in the league. He'll be primarily a jumpshooter.

He has a "star" mentality and ego, but I just don't see him being that guy in the league (unless it's on a losing team)... Which could be a problem if he doesn't learn to tone his game back.

Rivers is more talented, but I'd take Beal as of right now. More mature mentally and physically. More all-around game. Beal actually has a position and will come without the ego. He'll be able to play within a team concept and not have to dominate the ball. Defense won't be a problem for Beal either. He should be an effective defender at both guard spots.

Steven
wow. im pretty shocked this

wow. im pretty shocked this topic is even being argued over. ive seen both players play, ive heard players who had to guard, or go up against both players, and ive seen highlights. (yes i put that last cause highlights can only show so much.) Anyways, austin rivers hands down is the better player. hes taller, hes like 6'5 while beal is 6'4. rivers is a smart player, as is beal but rivers learned from Pros as a kid. beals body might be bigger, but i think rivers body is perfect for his style of play. and he will add more muscle obviously. AND rivers is playing for 1 of the greatest coaches to ever live. Coach K... and believe me coach K will make rivers an all around, even better player then he is.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
If Rivers is a bit of a

If Rivers is a bit of a ballhog then Coach K will surely coach that out of him over the next year at Duke. The interesting thing for me is that Aran has both Marquis Teague and Jeremy Lamb as guards ahead of Rivers and Beal in his 2012 mock. Teague like Rivers comes from basketballing stock and will be on a high profile team with Coach Cal you has put Evans, Rose(MVP), Wall and Brandon Knight into the NBA in recent years and Lamb as a returning Sophomore has the experience edge on the other 3 guys. So it is going to be interesting to see which of these backcourters gets drafted highest especially with the recent love for PG's at the top of the draft

TaylorCondrin
TaylorCondrin's picture
on another note,

on another note, IndianaBasketball is just 8 points away from the legendary 10,000 mark!

kobyz
kobyz's picture
Rivers has a feel about him

Rivers has a feel about him that eventually will settle and be able to run the PG position, right now he just show his extreme scoring and one on one abilities, think of him as an hybrid of Jrue Holiday and Monta Ellis...

kobyz
kobyz's picture
and to me you got it all

and to me you got it all wrong, Brad Beal is the one between the two who is similar to OJ Mayo, like Beal you forgot that Mayo was strong build, very fundamental player with size and quickness question marks...

estebansf
Just Saying

Just saying that Brad grew up a Duke fan and loved the school and probably would have gone if offered a scholarship. However, Coach K picked Rivers over Beal as his shooting guard and I think he knows more than all of us. If Beal was really better or even as good, K would have taken him. Instead, he put the extra effort into getting Rivers and had to battle with many other top schools to get him. Rivers wants to get better, and doesn't want things handed to him. That's why he chose the hard way in Duke. He knows his weaknesses and will improve on all aspects of basketball under the greatest college coach in a long time.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
I'm going to wait until they

I'm going to wait until they play in college to say who's better..

But Austin has had the advantage of growing up around and playing against pros..The little things he has picked up over the years listening,talking and watching those guys are priceless...Plus he can play the point,scouts go crazy over 6'6 guys that can create plays...

Rivers reminds me of Ray Allen, I see some Kyrie Irving/Eric Bledsoe in Beal's game...

estebansf
Almost everyone who is

Almost everyone who is pro-Rivers gets minus points. Everyone who is pro-Beal get plus-points. That's funny.

Hale
Hale's picture
I'm guessing that's because

I'm guessing that's because Rivers has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (myself included), by making very questionable statements over the past year. He definitely believes he is the next big thing.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
WoW!! I guess i was wrong..I

WoW!! I guess i was wrong..I thought you guys LOVED SUB-ZERO

RSS: Syndicate content