Board to Death
Yes, this title is corny, and awful, but I feel this board has been a little slow, through no fault of anyone in particular (well, David Stern comes to mind). I tend to hate topics that have little to do with basketball, and unfortunately, this might be one of them.
I am going to list some things I truly dislike on this board. I am not going to single anyone out, and if you feel I do, than I will probably say "Take the hint". It is not hard to become a well liked member of this board. I think that is why so many people like coming here, this board, while it at times can be malicious, rewards effort and improvement, not to mention a general love of basketball. There is always room for more though, and I will list some things I think can be improved on, as a matter of better content and etiquette. If you have more suggestions, feel free to add them.
- Seeing a long, well thought out post, immediately get in the negs. WITHOUT ANY EDUCATED REBUTTLE!: I almost feel like this board is sometimes more show and tell than actually talking about basketball when this happens. I do not feel this happens to me, I mean it may, but I tend to care less. But, when I see it happen to iggynixon, I am sorry, that is garbage. This guy puts a lot of hard work into his posts, has well thought out lists and it is a relief (at least for me) to see one of his posts rather than the usual generic ones of the most recent ESPN or popular news story we have seen on RealGm. If you are going to dislike his post, at least take some time to say why. I am guessing the people who do it are just trolls, but if you are not, heed these words.
- Making generalizations without any examples or proof to back it up. This is a constant, and I am not saying you need to do it all the time. But, when we got into the "height is only a number" debate. Yes, we tend to have people in our mind when we say, "You can win with Centers 6'9-6'11", and you indeed can. Still, why not list the people that back up your statement? You may learn something, and you make your debate incredibly concrete. So, if you are going to make debates, or ask questions, maybe have some names to back it up rather than just leaving us to believe you might be talking about Monta Ellis, Ben Wallace or Anthony Randolph. You might even, I don't know, get the discussion you were hoping for?
- Posts that drop names, and little else. Name dropping and hype posts are some of the most monotonous ones on the board. It is fine if you want to know something about a player, but can you not do atleast a tiny bit of your own research before asking what we think about him? It is great to get many perspectives, but I always find it best to start with, I don't know, your own. It is fine to ask for help and highlight a player, even fine to make bold statements, but leaving a bunch of names without any real info is exhausting. Something I really wish were done less often.
- Complaining about the Mock Draft: Don't really need to elaborate. It is a rough list, made almost a year before the ever changing draft. When you make lists (have made a lot), you forget people, have them ranked to low, to high, etc. If you want to discuss a player being higher, do so by all means. But, the "How can you have him ranked here?" thing is a little, well, obnoxious.
- People not comprehending what a person has written: I have been guilty of this as well, and I probably still will be, but I at least TRY to put an effort into reading exactly what a person is trying to say when I respond to them. So, if you are responding to someone in particular, READ the post, maybe try to understand where the person is coming from, than write what you are saying.
- Comments with no constructive questions, criticism or are incredibly short and seemingly thoughtless: If you are going to write a comment telling a person you disagree with or dislike something they say, maybe either state an opinion or have some thought put into your response. I understand, we are all busy and that it may be your lunch break, but than write it when you have some time. Put some thought into it, do some research to make sure your point is as strong as you think it is. This is an internet site. We are all on the internet if you are using it. Tons of resources to make an argument or back-up what you are saying. When someone puts thought into their posts, it would be nice if you did as well.
- Multiple posts on the same video/topic: Let me introduce you to a function on the site called "Search". I know, many of us like to be the news breaker, like to show things to the board that they might not have seen, which is appreciated. However, give a look and see if it was posted recently before you do so. Just kind of courtesy, and keeps the board fresh. If every thread could have different content, it would truly be incredible. It is not easy for that to happen, but theirs are steps that could be made.
- People who give themselves +1: Stop it! It becomes incredibly obvious over time who you are, and you lose a lot of credibility. Let other people give you props, rather than waxing your jimmy! Thank you!
- Those stupid trolls and spammers! I think most of us agree on this one. Fake topics are cool on April Fools Day, otherwise, eff off.
Well, I think this is a start. Maybe this gets the ball rolling for ways to improve our own content. If you want to improve the sites content, outside of the message board, I have no control over that, but I suggest that their may be better ways than posting message board topics. Also, I have no control over improving the message board in general, beyond what I just wrote. I am not a mod, just someone who enjoys speaking on this board, think it has tons of cool people to talk basketball with and thinks that all it could use would be females that were not on peoples avatar pictures (though, I am afraid at how some guys might act if that were to happen). So, hope we can maybe agree on some of these, or maybe learn some new things, and if you do not like it, than shake it off. Just know that I feel these are constructive things people can avoid doing or think about, and if you have criticism beyong my writing a lot of words, than I am all ears as well.
i agreee 109% with u mikey V... another great post...
but how do u know when ppl give themselves +1
Becomes really obvious when there is always a plus 1 next to your name within seconds of what you have posted. If this happens a few times, it may be legit, but time after time after time, it becomes a little obvious. There are certain people who have been flat out called out on it, and I could name names, but I just hope they get the message, and stop.
Bored to Death is actually a very nice TV series, I quite like it.
It is actually, pretty funny. Zach Galifianakis is hilarious, so is Ted Danson. I MAY BE BASED, thanks for your support, along with Universal and everyone else who may have wanted to say these things before.
and i want to add another thing
sometimes pll get minsed for the dumbest things
like u said some posters r just trolls and douches and will minus for no reason
i get minsused a lot for no reason
if i didnt... i would have at least 2344 points
I completely agree with MikeyV, 139%
I agree with the self-giving points, especially. One guy that comes to mind is memphis_tyga23. He would add a point to himself all the time until someone called him out on it a couple of months ago. Since then, coincidentally his point total stopped soaring at such a rapid rate. If I had to give a raw estimate, I'd say about 1,500 - 2,000 of his points are self-given. Smh...
But, I believe memphis has improved in that regard. At least I hope he has. Nonetheless, the self +'ing was not meant to be the biggest issue I was delving into, but it nonetheless is something that I wanted to call out in general, not necessarily by name.
Mikey I agree with you 146.7% on this topic. I also don't like how people post unrealistic trades that benefit their home team.
I think that posters here can't believe that the NBA is having a LOCKOUT after a great season and and awesome playoffs with great ratings featuring a Finals between America's new enemy (the Miami Heat) against some underdog "good guys" (Dirk, Kidd, Marion, Terry, Barea).
Things are starting to get messy and this could really damage the league's reputation.
So, after an interesting draft with some popular college players, and some Euros with potential there hasn't really been any NBA "news" except for the lockout battles and player posturing...
I am really ticked off about it and I think the FANS are the ones who are losing. And the fans are the ones who actually pay the salaries and support the league.
I really don't understand it from a competitive standpoint. It felt like this year had 5 or 6 legit title contenders with the Heat, Bulls, and Celtics all being legit contenders out East, and the Mavs won the championship as a 3rd seed out West and a team that many predicted to lose in the first round. The league's premier "franchise teams" are all thriving. The Bulls won the most games, the Celtics had a great year, and even the Lakers made the 2nd round and got a high seed. The Knicks made the playoffs and were back in the news. The Spurs also made the playoffs after a great regular season. The NBA LOVES the big name teams and does well when the big teams do well.
The NBA also loves the small market underdogs. Well, the Western Conference semi's featured the Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis Grizzlies which are two of the smallest, yet most exciting, teams in the league. They also had two of the top handful of players in the playoffs (Durant and Z Bo) and should be contenders for the next several years. In a league where only 2 teams have won half the titles (Lakers, Celtics) and where two others combined for 10 of the other ones (Bulls, Spurs) this year's Finals featured two relative middle major teams in the Dallas Mavericks and the Miami Heat. Other than their 2006 Finals matchup neither of these teams have had vast, continued success such as the Lakers or Celtics. Also, both teams came into the league in the 80's so they aren't really that old. If the competitive balance in today's league isn't good then when will it ever be good? The "BIG" teams are doing well, the mid-level teams are contending, and two of the best up-and-coming teams are in small markets.
another thing to harp on is when someone say they agree with someone else 100% and the next guy says he agrees 105% and the next guy says he agrees 111.1%, it gets dumb. we get it, you all are so clever.
Just playin with yall. lol. i like reading mikeyv's posts. it always kills an hour or 2 at work. lol. seriously tho, guys like mikeyv, jnixon, indianabbball, and llperez bring so much to the site with strictly basketball that it is always refreshing to read their material and to neg them and not give a reason is lame.
I totally agree. When I read Jnixon's "countdown to NCAA season" he sould at least have 10+(if not more). He put alot of hard work into those and they're really good. It happens too much that people just give negs for no reason, or if you do have a reason at least please tell us all.
jnixon should get no negs for his work. why neg someone just because you disagree. just dont give him a point. i give negs to spammers, ignorant people who call other people names, etc. jnixon deserves pluses because he contributes to a level he doesnt have to. you can give him plus 1 and say great write up but i think differently here....
its not rocket science but i would only give negs to those that truly deserve them.
Don't have time to read the whole thing right now, but I definitely agree with the first thing on the list. A lot of times, I feel like I post a well-thought out post, but when I come back to see the responses, I see a whole rack of negatives but sometimes, nnot ONE educated rebuttle. Some examples of this are when I make posts about LeBron losing athleticism, and when I post something good about Andray Blatche. I mean, if someone can't post a good rebuttle, I guess that means I'm right lol. When I post something about LeBron losing athleticism, usually that means I'm automatically "hating" and the negatives pile on. But can someone give me proof that LeBron hasn't lost athleticism, tell me now.
And when I make Andray Blatche posts, I know the negatives are coming, but I don't care. I'm just trying to get my point across. And if I never begged for a rebuttle in my last Andray Blatche post, I don't think I would have ever gotten one. I bet most of the people negging me haven't even seen Andray Blatche play lol.
I mean, I don't just make a random statement. I add supporting details to the statements to prove them right, but usually, I can't even get ONE educated rebuttle SMH.
I agree, I once stated we will see how good lebron will be when he loses some or all his athleticism and i got negs for that, and the best rebuttal i got was your post makes no sense thats like saying what would kobe be if he lost athleticism.. he would suck, which in reality is false because we can say that kobe has some of his overall athleticism but is still able to dominate on any given night.
@MikeyV as always great write up, I always give points to people who put a lot of time into their posts and am always confused when I see they get a crap load of negs even though their arguement makes perfect sense.
sorry for yet another incredibly short and thoughtless comment..
but great post!
Honestly not really a fan of giving negative's unless it's just a downright ignorant post such as The Bulls needing to rebuild or John Wall needing traded for younger talent. Otherwise I just don't acknowledge the post at all.
Lol at the random numbers yall are coming up with. "I agree 109%, 112%"
Thanks for acknowledging me guys! But yeah, even though I dont complain about points I definitely notice that people dock points off me at times. It's probably from some guys who argued and debated with me about something on here and hold it against me. I love that part of this site and sometimes I guess it seems like I'm intense with it, but believe me, in most cases I dont even remember what I'm arguing about later on and I'm not at all the type of person who holds grudges, I cant do that even if I tried. I also don't take debating with you guys all that seriously. It's an internet forum at the end of the day and I come on here to learn and discuss the game. I think different opinions make the site what it is. I would say I've learned alot about the game from alot of different users, but I dont think people should take everything someone says and dock points because they have a few different opinions. I personally don't even take points from people unless they do something incredibly dumb, I just give points or leave it alone. Good to see people speak out for people who work hard on posts.
A lot of people like self +1'ing, LOL. I am getting killed for that one, and not one person has addressed me being wrong about it.
I see Lil B and BASED related posts/threads arent on your list...Do i see a Master chef in the making?
Lil' B is naming his next album, "Self +1".
About giving yourself a point, I completely agree with you Mikey V.
I find it unethical, and sort of corny. I remember about a week ago in a thread, Rudeboy was arguing with this guy, and It was quite obvious that he was +1ing himself, well, a bunch of us started getting mad, cause he was basically saying we didn't know any thing, and It was also sort of obvious that he was on three accounts, givingpeople negs and himself points. The idiot wasn't even thankful that we hadn't even started negging him, then a bunch of people came in and he lost a ton of points.
Bottom line, don't give youself a point, If you really need that make you feel better, than that is just sad.
Dear Mr. vthedon,
I love this post... I love it for all the right reasons but the reason that I am really crazy about it is that, unlike most people who have a list, you didnt use 8 as your number..
I have to be honest, I did not even think about it. But, glad I did not step on your toes as far as using your trademark. Should have maybe done a list like this, though: