Biggest Lottery drop off for 2013

Windy City Assassin
Biggest Lottery drop off for 2013

I don't know what happened to Archie Goodwin throughout the UK breakdown, but this guy was considered a Top 5 pick and now he's a possible early second rounder. Although he did not hire an agent and even if he were to comeback to UK next year, I don't believe he can improve his stock to become a lottery pick in the future. By UK being exposed as a weak team, it hurt him even more due to the fact that it was his team to carry on his back.

WolfRob
WolfRob's picture
Ryan Harrow? Lottery, to

Ryan Harrow? Lottery, to ummm.... Nothing. At least Archie gets drafted

Windy City Assassin
Harrow does not count because

Harrow does not count because he was only a preseason lottery pick. Archie earned his consideration through his performance.

druneave3
druneave3's picture
True but

True is stock as plummeted but can you really see a guy with his athleticism/talent/age dropping to second round, especially in this draft? Yes this draft is fairly deep with quality players but I don't teams passing on him past 20.

Bryant24
Bryant24's picture
There's no way Archie Goodwin

There's no way Archie Goodwin drops to the second round he's too talented. If drafted he will probably be one of the youngest players in the NBA so he has time to develop. This UK team was overrated from the get go and had to much hype around them at best I thought they will at least be a sweet 16 team. To me Noel and Goodwin were the only two on the team who had heart and played there hardest every game. Come workouts I wouldn't be suprise if Goodwin stock rise if he gets drafted 15-25 I feel like he will be the steal of the draft.

Windy City Assassin
I'm not saying he won't get

I'm not saying he won't get drafted in the first round, but right now his range is late first-early second.

fcb206
That's the hazard of

That's the hazard of projecting a kid's draft stock before he's ever played a college game. Several members of Kentucky's freshman class were projected to go early in the first round and Nerlens is the only guy who put in a season remotely worthy of a high top pick. Poythress was a projected lottery pick to begin the season too, and if he didn't return to school he'd be unlikely to go in the first round.

FastAndFurious
FastAndFurious's picture
You crazy if you think Archie

You crazy if you think Archie is going 2nd round.

The boy is still 18 years old, with an huge amount of talent. I honestly think he has more talent than Shabazz and McLemore, didn't say he was the better player yet, but talent wise he's right there with them or MORE talented.

Marquis Teague was drafted first round last year based off talent and upside, same will happen to Archie.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
He played out of position on

He played out of position on a team that struggled. He's a SG and played PG most of the season. A lot of teams are going to regret passing on this guy in 5-8 years.

CAROLINA BLUE NICK
CAROLINA BLUE NICK's picture
A lot of guys this year had

A lot of guys this year had major drops. James McAdoo was a top 5 pick before the college basketball season started. Now he is a borderline top 20 pick. Tony Mitchell was a lottery pick and now he is in the second round. Lorenzo Brown was a lottery pick at one point. Guys can still work their way back up or higher based on combine performances but these guys I listed just had disappointing seasons. I don't think Goodwins is a bad. Noel came to Kentucky with more hype than Goodwin and once Noel went down, Goodwin tried his best to carry that team. Yes Goodwin was a lottery pick at one point but I still think he will go mid to late first round because the guy is just so talented He may even work his way back up to the end of the lottery come combine time. Plus he was just a freshman. All freshman struggle at some point. Even the good ones. McAdoo, Mitchell, and Brown all had a year of college ball under there belts already which is why I think their drops are worst than Goodwins.

Windy City Assassin
I honestly see McAdoo as a 4

I honestly see McAdoo as a 4 yr prospect now, he might as well stay to get his degree.

CAROLINA BLUE NICK
CAROLINA BLUE NICK's picture
I do too. Unless he redeems

I do too. Unless he redeems himself next year. I thought for sure he would have a breakout season this year but he proved me wrong.

Malcolmx
Malcolmx's picture
Archie's stock went down but

Archie's stock went down but he isn't sliding past the 23rd pick. I can bet that. He is the youngest player in the draft so far. He won't turn 19 until two months after the draft. He has all the tools you can ask for and they say he is still getting taller and longer(his growth plates are open). He has to many gifts to pass up on. He will kill the combine and one on one workouts and possibly climb back up into late lotto. He is that gifted.

flopdownD
I love Archie Goodwin, I

I love Archie Goodwin, I think he is a stud. He has uncanny slashing ability, and he doesn't truck defenses... he uses variations of euro steps (Wade-ish) in the break that are to me the best change of direction in CBB, I've been saying that since preseason. He got everything in the package as far as slashing, hop steps, ball fakes, spins etc.
He might not have the best jumper, but has anyone seen him pull up off the dribble? He has no problem creating space and shows a very smooth looking pull up jumper.
He dunked a couple of facials this year, his 7ft wingspan is massively overlooked.
Absolutely love Goodwin, to watch him play, and as a prospect.
No way he falls to second... and if he does, mark my words, steal of the draft in 4 years, when he will be only 21/22, Mason Plumlee's age.
Give Archie two years at Kentucky and let him develop........ that's how old Shabazz Muhammad is right now, as I write this.
I don't have him higher in my mock (at 17) because is made based on how I think actual NBA teams have players' stock ranked.
I would personally have him in that late lotto range in a Big Board (10/14).

BasketballJunkie224
BasketballJunkie224's picture
some other guys who have

some other guys who have dropped significantly are tony mitchell, isaiah cannon, lorenzo brown and bj young

Rafter
Rafter's picture
Adonis Thomas was projected as

Adonis Thomas was projected as a lottery pick pre-season and is now in the second round...of the 2014 draft. He's always been an appealing prospect for me, sometimes there are prospects that you just like. He's a guy who I've wanted to like but he's seldom performed well enough for me to justify that admiration.

Apart from those already mentioned. Gobert has slowly slipped despite playing reasonably well this season, he went from top-5 to top-10 to lotto and now mid-first.

RSS: Syndicate content