Best perimeter defender in 2009 draft?

H-Train41
H-Train41's picture
Best perimeter defender in 2009 draft?

Yeah, most potential NBA first rounders are known for what they can do on the offensive side of the ball, but my question is about defense. I want to know who the BEST PERIMETER DEFENDER is in the draft. (So not a big like Thabeet, he's an interior defender). Who is the best lockup defender on the outside?

butidonthavemoney
butidonthavemoney's picture
Best Defenders

Ricky Rubio is the best perimeter defender hands-down. He held his own against studs like Kidd, CP3 and D-Will in the olympics and even though he isn't explosive or very strong he is hardly ever out of position. He also plays the passing lanes like John Stockton did. It is uncanny how he can tell what his defender is going to do before the defender knows. Some people don't think he can keep it up in the NBA but I disagree.

From college I think it would be between Danny Green, Jrue Holiday and James Harden. Sam Young and Terrence Williams were good defenders too.

evan13
Yeah but those three point

Yeah but those three point guards weren't even trying to score in the olympics. I bet LeBron took more shots than all three of them combined.

Meditated States
Meditated States's picture
T-Will

T-Will is a better defender than Rubio. He can Guard 1,2,3 all perimeter players.

TONYDABOSS77
TONYDABOSS77's picture
t-will

t-will

boffacheerios
rubio is good in passing

rubio is good in passing lanes and good at mugging, but his lack quickness stops him from being the absolte best. He's still a very good defender in the draft.

JNixon
JNixon's picture
yep

Terrence Williams is the best perimeter defender...where did Rubio come from???

gift2basketball
t-Will

Terrance Willams is

billyk
Split between Jerel McNeal

Split between Jerel McNeal and Toney Douglas.....

UdAmWaIvLsD-Cats
UdAmWaIvLsD-Cats's picture
You're all Wrong

It's obviously Chase Budinger

that was a joke for those with no humor

Lemons4Life
Lemons4Life's picture
billyk is right on track

NBA scouts particualry look at offense in the first round unless they're tall and talented(Shaq & Thabeet). Most 2nd rounders are excellent defenders also such as Glen Davis for the Celtics and many others. In this draft though I think its McNeal (as billyk pointed out), Jrue Holiday ( i believe he WILL surprise everyone next year), and DeMarre Carroll ( all around player.

koty
Jerel McNeal and Danny Green

Jerel McNeal and Danny Green r the best in this class

bluedevils12
terrnace

i like twill better but i havent seen much of rubio this year so i cant put him in the convo

AaronH
Tyreke

I think Tyreke is better Averaging 2.1 STLS , He long and athletic enough to guard 3 positions

eprizzle14
I'm suprised only a couple

I'm suprised only a couple people mentioned Toney Douglas. Coach K had some fond words on him. I think he could be useful to the Lakers as a defensive players, maybe to TRY and counter a Rondo, Brooks, or any quick guard.

michaelds911
Just because you get steals

Just because you get steals doesn't me you are a good defender. I would have to go with Toney D.

butidonthavemoney
butidonthavemoney's picture
T-Will

I knew people were going to point out Terrence Williams but I haven't seen him play enough to say whether or not he is a great defender. I've watched every game I could of Rubio and in my opinion he is the best defender. But like I said I haven't really seen a lot of T-Will or Toney Douglas. Tyreke Evans isn't a great defender, he does get steals but he just isn't a great defender yet.

sameolG
sameolG's picture
best perimeter defender

I think its between Terrence and Danny Green.. dont forget Darren Collison too

ch15r36is
T-Will and Rubio are both

T-Will and Rubio are both solid perimiter defenders, although you must ask yourself is T-Will quick enough to guard 2's and big enough to guard 3's, and no one knows yet if Rubio will be quick enough or strong enough to keep up with guys like C-Paul, D-Will, D-Rose and Rondo, but his performance at the Olympics would seem to indicate that he should fare well against NBA competition.
Tyreke Evans is not yet a good defender on the perimiter, in the interior, in transition or anywhere else.

Socki
Mc

It's McNeal...Except on this play...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aizz6YDvm0c

michaelds911
It seem like every

It seem like every ankle-breaking play I see the guy always makes the shot. I always found that kind of odd.

alphamale310
alphamale310's picture
terrence williams

come on guys. i love Terrence Williams, but its not him. He's one of those guys, like D-Wade who gambles a lot and plays like a safety. He gets a lot of steals and creates havoc, but he's not a lock down perimeter defender.

Meditated States
Meditated States's picture
Oh Yeah Collison for sure sorry T-Will my bad

Collison is a fierce on the ball defender he causes havoc. On the ball just guarding the point, I agree Collison is the man. Gman was on that one.

Michael.S.
its rubio because even

its rubio because even though he isnt as tall as most nba 2 guards his wingspan is rediculouswhich allows him to make up for the height advantages

RSS: Syndicate content