This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar DoKOLi 11 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    steviechillz
    Participant

Just about every NBA team has a different starting back court for their team.  There are a few execeptions like the Spurs and the Celtics, but for the most part, teams like Denver, NY, and others have new talent running the show for their teams.  So my question is which team has the best defensive back court, and remember SPG, doesn’t exactly mean your a great defender, sometimes it means that you just like to take some unnecessary risks.

My pick is The Celtics duo of Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley: Both are relentless, tough guards who have a nack for staying in front of the ball and swiping it away from the offe nisve player when the opporutunity is presented to them.  Both are exceptional at getting into the opposing player’s heads and with Avery Bradley’s new respect he earned last year as a top permiter defender, I expect this back court to be feared.

Bostonkings
    Participant

You’re right about that, people are underestimating the Celtics. They are a completely defensive oriented team, with a defensive oriented coach in Doc, along with defense they have plenty of offensive weapons and also imho have the deepest bench in the league, don’t be surprised to see them knock off Miami in the ECF and make the Finals.

ENOGSIWONdede

Grizzlies

UNCbasketballbum
    Participant

Avery Bradley is one of the best on the ball defenders in the league and is relentless pressuring ballhandlers.  Rondo has always been a good defender, using his unreal wingspan for a player his size to be a pest on the ball.  He is probably the best rebounding PG in league, consistently recording double digits rebounds last season. Bradley and Rondo immediately popped into my mind when I read this post, so I’m going to go with them. 

akhan786
      Participant

I love the fact that Boston will have a defensive minded duo in Rondo and Bradley and an offensive duo in Courtney Lee and Jason Terry.

I’m supa excited for this season.

capecodder
        Participant

Let’s not forgot that Lee shut down Ray Allen in the Orlando/Celtics playoffs in either 09 or 10

DoKOLi
          Participant

let go

DondiJohn
    Participant

Westbrook and sefolosha

mawi7056
    Participant

The Miami Heat. Mario Chalmers, Dwayne Wade, and Lebron James. People often ignore it because they are so talented offensively, but this is the top trio of perimeter defenders in the NBA. Also don’t forget Shane Battier can still lock guys up coming off the bench.

Grandmama
      Participant

A back court is the PG and SG.  And Dwayne Wade is an average defender at best.  I’d say Boston is clearly the best defensive back cout with Rondo and Bradley.

J_01
        Participant

While I agree that Miami does not have one of the best defensive backcourts since when did Dwyane Wade become an average defender at best? At minimum he is an above average defender at worst. From a stats perspective he is one of the best shot blocking guards in the NBA at 1 a game and also averages almost 2 steals a game for his career. He is also a good on ball defender relying on his athleticism and high basketball iq. He’s also one of few defenders in the league that can effictively guard multiple positions (PGs, SGs and SFs). All NBA defensive 2nd Team 3 times in 05,09 and 10. So the player I described is an average defender at best? No and even though he’s lost some athleticism due to age and injuries he will still continue to be one of the better permiter defenders in the NBA.

Grandmama
          Participant

He got torched defensively in the playoffs.  Yeah he’s a good shot blocker, but as an on ball defender, he isn’t anything special.  Maybe a few years ago, not anymore.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
            Participant

Got torched in the playoffs?

1. He was playing injured.

2. Who exactly torched him?

Was it the Knicks’ SGs?

• J.R. Smith: 12.2 PPG — 31.5% FG — 17.8% 3PT
            • Landry Fields: 7.2 PPG — 48% FG — 0-4 3PT FG

Was it the Pacers’ SGs?

• Paul George: 10 PPG — 36.5% FG
            • Leandro Barbosa: 5.2 PPG — 31.8% FG — 0-9 3PT FG

Was it Ray Allen?

• Ray Allen: 11.8 PPG — 36.2% FG — 34.1% 3PT

Was it the Thunder’s SGs?

• James Harden: 11.4 PPG — 37.5% FG — 33% 3PT
            • Thabo Sefolosha: 4.6 PPG — 29% FG — 18% 3PT

Who torched him?  I don’t seem to remember.  
            Yes, he was injured and had trouble on offense but Wade did NOT let that affect him on the defensive end.  He was his shut-down self that he always is.

F_S

damn, putting it that way wade looks like he was shutting down people HEAVY.

no SG shot over 40% from the floor except landry fields. thats gotta be some time of world record imo.

wade is a top defender in the nba thought everyone knows he can get lazy playing off the ball, ray allen even said it and likes to take advantage of that, or use to. 

P.S.: if im not mistaken wade is the best blocking 2-guard in the history of the nba.

blood

than what you consider for elite? wade is one of the best shot blocking sgs in this league,he is better defender than rondo imo

Tongue-Out-Like-23
    Participant

Easy.

Oklahoma City

Westbrook is by far one of the top defensive PGs in the league and Sefolosha is also one of the best defensive SG/SFs.  You also have James Harden coming off the bench who average at worst.

Speaking of the Celtics, they do have a great perimeter defensive combo, but I think we still need to see how Bradley fares when he’s put in the post against guys like JJohnson, Kobe, Iggy, and Ginobili.  Also, JET isn’t going to shut anybody down exactly.

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

Don’t underestimate the combo of Mike Conley and Tony Allen. Conley is a very good defender and gets a number of steals each game and as we all know Allen is one of the best on-ball defenders in the game.

Brew Meister Smith
    Participant

Rondo / Bradley – definately top of the league.  They are both young and absolutely fearless on D.

I’m also going to put out Toronto’s backcourt as a good example as well.

Lowry / Derozan.  Under the defense driven Coach Casey this should be a strong defensive backcourd.  It should also continue with Lowry / Ross or Lowry / Fields(but he will likely be playing forward this year).

Obviously, when Jose Calderon is on the floor they will lose a little there, but the zone structure of Toronto’s new defence tends to cover up liabilities like Calderon pretty well.  This will be a top 10 defence generally, and it all starts with their backcourt now (especially Lowry).

Sharp Shooter
    Participant

Well can’t forget  about Knight and Stuckey…both get alot of steal and force turnovers…not saying they’re the best but they are up there.

apb540
    Participant

I’ve seen a few people say OKC but I’ve got to say I’m not seeing the same thing  Of course Thabo is a great defender but Westbrook actually plays some below average defense.  He will make a big play here or there, but his on ball defense is very inconsistent and he gets lost so often when his guy is playing off the ball.  All the skills are there, it’s just up to him to commit himself on D.

For my choice I’ll be a homer and pick the Sixers.  I think Jrue Holliday actually toook a step backwards last year in all categories (or just didn’t improve in some), and his defense was the most notable to me  He will always be a "pesky" defender, getting a bunch of hustle steals and such, but I expect him to become a lock down defender.  Try to be The Glove of his era.  He’s got the size, quickness, speed, strength, and cocaching to get where he should be, but it’s up to him to really focus on improving things like consistency and fighting through screens (one area he realllly lacks.)  Evan Turner alongside Jrue is a solid defender who can take on three different positions.  Versatility, athleticism, size and toughness make Evan Turner the above-average defender he is.

druneave3
    Participant

1. OKC – slight edge to them Rondo/Bradley due to size. How would Boston combo fair against Kobe?

2. Boston – better on-ball defenders than #1 spot

3. Miami  – Wade’s blocking ability is incredible, historic

4. Memphis – Allen is obviously a beast but conley is also a pest.  

5. Indiana – George has signs of Pippen, Hill is solid.

6. Knicks – (when healthy-then move them up to #4) I thought Shumpert did the best job of guarding Rose of anyone besides LeBron. Brewer is great.

If Rubio gets paired with someone that would be a nice defensive backcourt.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

Rondo and Bradley are small, but tenacious. It’ll be interesting to see if Bradley returns from surgery on both shoulders with that same tenacity. IF not, Lee will step in. There’s no doubt in my mind that Boston has the best rotation of defensive guards in the NBA with Rondo, Bradley, Lee and Dooling. With Terry in the mix, it’ll be interesting to see how Doc splits up the minutes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login