Atlanta Hawks to sign 6'11" PF/C Pero Antic

TomShoe
TomShoe's picture
Atlanta Hawks to sign 6'11" PF/C Pero Antic

Well this is out of left-field. From Peachtree Hoops:

The Atlanta Hawks might not be quite done tinkering with their roster. TalkBasket.com's George Kioussis reports that Olympiacos veteran forward Pero Antic is currently in Atlanta along with his agent and is expected to sign a one year deal with the Hawks before he leaves.

Antic is already in Atlanta with his manager, and if everything goes well, he will sign his new contract with Atlanta Hawks.If this happens, it will be the best reward for him, after two great seasons with Olympiacos, and two Euroleague trophies he conquered with the Reds.
The Atlanta Hawks have not announced any new player acquisitions so this should be treated as a rumor for now. Antic is listed at 6-11 and has played both the power forward and center spots during his 14-year career. He has spent the last two seasons playing for Olympiacos and averaged 6.0 points and 3.5 rebounds in 31 Euroleague games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomShoe: It's a bit of a head-scratcher of a pickup considering his production on the European stage. I mean 6 points a game? And this is for a guy who's already 30 years old. That was in only 15 MPG, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that. Here's a player profile from Wikipedia:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antić's best offensive attributes are his body strength, jump shot and dunking ability. He is adept at pick and roll play, which coupled with the unusually good three-point shooting accuracy for a player of his position, makes him a scoring danger from all distances. While he's not a prolific scorer, he also possesses decent passing skills, adding to his offensive contribution. The defensive part of the game is considered to be his finest attribute. Antić's anticipation, positioning and overall athleticism make him one of the most powerful rebounders in Europe. He also demonstrated particular determination and confidence when guarding opposition star players, such as Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol at the EuroBasket 2011.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomShoe: This reminds me of when the Spurs signed Aron Baynes to a 4 year deal I think last season. I guess he was brought in to bring toughness and rebounding to the frontcourt. Could've just re-signed Ivan the Terrible, but whatever. A decent pickup for a decent team, but it's not likely to get them off the treadmill of mediocrity anytime soon.

Oh well, even if his NBA career doesn't pan out, at least he'll always have a gig as a celebrity impersonator.

domeico7
domeico7's picture
Wow, really unnecessary

Wow, really unnecessary signing by the Hawks. Antic is so slow he can shoot the ball though. Don't think he'll see minutes.

terrancebower
pointless

What a pointless signing.

I was thinking they'd start Milsap and Horford at the 4 and 5, with Noguiera and Brand getting the backup minutes, and then use the garbage time to give Mike Scott and Mike Muscala a chance since they're young.

What they really need is a starting quality SG and SF. Korver doesn't cut it as a starter unless the other 4 starters are veeery good, which is not the case here. And SG? I don't know if they're gonna start Cunningham and see if he makes a big improvement, with Lou Williams playing off the bench when he comes back. Maybe Jenkins will start? Either way it's not a good look for them.

Siggy
It's a whatever signing.

It's a whatever signing. He's basically the 12th man, 4th or 5th big. If he doesn't pan out, so what? It's basically a minimum 1 yr deal. I remember being impressed by his play in Int'l competition for Macedonia, but that was 2 yrs ago. Smart, clever, can shoot it a bit and isn't afraid to mix it up. Didn't see him as an NBA talent though.

BothTeamsPlayedHard
BothTeamsPlayedHard's picture
When Atlanta goes out and

When Atlanta goes out and signs Paul Millsap and Elton Brand to go with Al Horford up front, they are signaling their intent to make a playoff run and compete. Presuming those three are healthy and playing around 30 minutes per night, they are simply looking for a security blanket for the remaining minutes. Maybe it is Antic, maybe not, but it is safer to bring him in a year, maybe 2 or more, than thinking Mike Muscala or Lucas Nogueira are ready. I don't think a guy who fouls every 7 or 8 minutes in Greece is going to be relied upon for big minutes in the NBA, but they aren't paying him as someone who will do so. He is a professional 6' 11" guy with a man's body who can step outside and make an open jumper. Choose for yourself, $15 million for Zaza or a lot less for Antic? I don't understand how someone can be upset about it. Not every move is about upside.

Choppy
Choppy's picture
Plays for Olympiacos?

Waiting for Euroballers scouting report...

DoubleNickelsDurr55
DoubleNickelsDurr55's picture
Reeves Nelson?

He looks like former ucla player reeves? Nelson

RSS: Syndicate content