Andrew Wiggins will be getting a lot of money, but maybe not 140-180 million (Plus NCAA news of the day)

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Andrew Wiggins will be getting a lot of money, but maybe not 140-180 million (Plus NCAA news of the day)

Well folks, a lot went down today and I wanted to give people an opportunity to maybe see it here in case they missed anything. To start, here are some bullet points, you can click on the player profile to go to the "Related News" section to see the articles (for everyone except Andrew Wiggins, where I will post the links):

Florida may be down one more

Florida has been stricken by injuries so far and the news may have gotten worse. Michael Frazier II had been under the weather for quite a while now and was being tested for mono. If so, he could be out for around 3 weeks or so. No news yet (was a quick test when I had it, which sucked BTW) and is just a footnote in a series of unfortunate circumstances the Gators have succumbed with injury, suspension and academic issues.

Most know that Chris Walker had academic issues that he is trying to straighten up to enroll in December, in which case he will be trying to play catch up, no easy feat. Than, Damontre Harris, Will Yeguete and immediately eligible transfer Eli Carter have all had ailments that have left the Gators quite undermanned for the time being. Plus, the status of Scottie Wilbekin is still relatively uncertain as his suspension seems to remain on going.

Once things get ironed out, this team should still be a force. Just wanted to keep people up to date that life has not gone to smoothly in Gatorland the past few months.

Chane Behanan Supended Indefinitely

From the sounds of it, Chane Behanan could have possibly played his last game in a Cardinals uniform. Rick Pitino announced that he was suspended indefinitely, with him needing to work to even be with the team by Mid-December. It is unknown as to whether Pitino is blowing smoke with him not coming back, just sounds like Louisville will be missing him for most of non-conference play, if not for the season. Without Behanan, the Cardinals still remain a strong team, just without a major piece in their quest for back-to-back NCAA Titles.

Other headlines:

• Allerik Freeman is out 6-7 weeks with a hand injury. The former Findlay Prep player is expected to play a solid role for Baylor this season.
  • Zach Auguste is out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand. Sophomore PF who has some size and should see an increase in responsibility for Notre Dame.
  • Marquette lost top JUCO transfer Jameel McKay before he ever suited up for a game. The combo forward said that he is transferring from the program. No reasons were given, just that it was what he and his family decided was best.
  • Trae Golden will be immediately eligible to play for Georgia Tech. Golden played big minutes for Tennessee and provides the team with senior leadership at the PG.
  • Kentucky was voted as pre-season #1 for the 2013-14 season in the USA Today Coaches Poll, claiming 16 of 32 #1 votes. #2 Michigan St. (3), #3Louisville (10) and Duke (3) also claimed #1 votes respectively. Arizona, Kansas, Syracuse, Florida, Michigan and Ohio State round out the top 10 in order.

Andrew Wiggins SI Story and Possibly Exaggerated Shoe Contract Figure

First off, wanted to post Luke Winn's SI Cover story, which did not get a lot of time in the News section this morning:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1208833/1/index.htm

Very interesting anecdotes surrounding Wilt Chamberlain, Danny Manning and Andrew Wiggins making their way to Lawrence. Chamberlain was 29 years before Manning and Manning was 29 years before Wiggins.

The last thing I wanted to bring up was a story that spread all over the place after an article posted on Wednesday. I posted it on the forum as well, here is the link to that post:

http://nbadraft.net/forum/andrew-wiggins-initial-shoe-contract-rumored-be-140-180-million-range

Well guys, it seems that the number quoted in that article by Jared Zwerling may indeed be a rather large overstatement. According to Nick DePaula, the editor of Sole Collector and someone who was quoted in the article, the references used may have been given a false source in a fraudulent letter said to be from adidas:

http://solecollector.com/news/the-industry-the-180-million-andrew-wiggins-offer-myth/

Definitely gives strong insight into the numbers being MUCH too high. With Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving both being Free Agents in the shoe market, adidas or other Nike competitors will be more likely trying to go after an already established player as opposed to betting the farm on Wiggins. No doubt that Wiggins will be a much wanted commodity, just think the numbers were most definitely skewed and people should know that the number quoted before seems to be way high.

I guess you can choose what you want to believe, think I am rolling with Nick's breakdown as someone very close to the shoe game. Think that Jared Zwerling raises some very interesting points in his article, just also think the numbers are probably off due to this apparent misinformation (ProBasketballTalk said an adidas spokesperson denied the offer as well). Just have to be careful what you read, even if it is being picked up by established sources as well.

Yes, Andrew Wiggins will be making a lot of money as a likely endorsee of a major shoe company. However, it turns out that he may not hit 9 figures and in my mind, I have a hard time seeing him getting much more (if any more) than what LeBron James signed for on his initial shoe contract.

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
Wiggins my be the most over

Wiggins my be the most over hyped player of all-time! I'm not saying he won't be great but it's been some red flags about him that you didn't have with Bron or Durant. Check this out.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2013/10/post_2.html

And these were the same issues they said about him in HS. Not sure if Bill Self can bring the best out of Wiggins because of his laid back demeanor.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Yeah, sort of doubt that one

Because of Wiggins' laid back demeanor? Yeah, he can seem like he is not being incredibly aggressive, say that is more due to his lack of emotion than his actually play. To me, Goodman went to one practice and is looking for something to write about. He has not even seen Jabari Parker or Julius Randle for months (if not over a year) and he is saying that by his seeing Wiggins in a practice, plus hearing KU down talk him (probably for motivation and to be the only people, besides Goodman to talk about him being less than the best), is moving them up by lack of knowledge and hearsay. Sounds like a plan to me.

LeBron James is the best HS player I have ever seen. He was in kill mode constantly, had 40 pounds on Wiggins and an incredibly high basketball IQ. LeBron also was not a fantastic outside shooter and that is how many teams played him in those early years. Still, saying that Wiggins is the best prospect since LeBron James is not comparing him TO LeBron James. It is saying that he, like LeBron, is 6-8 with amazing athleticism and speed that has helped him thoroughly dominate his competition (because, lets not lie, he was doing this in HS for the last couple years).

Kevin Durant was a better shooter than either of these guys, with fantastic ball skills and insane length. He was really smooth and he was a killer as well. However, he played on a team full of guys who were not even close to his level and was an absolute tooth pick. His lack of strength obviously was not a deterrent in him killing at the NCAA level, but his rookie season was not exactly a breeze. He and LeBron both struggled at times, even though you knew they would kill it down the line.

That brings me to Andrew Wiggins. He is not LeBron James, he is not going to have a Kevin Durant type freshman season. What he will do is be an incredible athlete and make teams have to account for his presence on both ends of the floor. He is going to more than likely be faster than anyone guarding him, will be a terror around the hoop and probably get a lot of people in foul trouble (Jabari Parker has had a hard time staying out of foul trouble when he has guarded him in the past). The guy will make an impact and Jeff Goodman going to one practice, than talking to some scouts who give no other players they feel are better prospects in this draft than Andrew Wiggins fails to convince me he is overrated at all.

RSS: Syndicate content