This topic contains 78 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hadzialijagic 7 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    DolanCare
    Participant

The league has been rejiggered, to put it mildly. There will be more moves before the season starts, but the bulk of trades and signings have already happened. This offseason has only further cemented the Warriors and Cavs as the favorites for their respective conferences. 

But what about the rest of the teams? Will there be any significant changes to the playoff seedings for this year?

While I’m not in love with George Hill, I think he’s shooting and general competence at the point guard positon allow the Jazz to shoot up rankings. I’m sure many will disagree, I just think this team has the potential to win 50 games.  Meanwhile, I see Dallas and Memphis missing the playoffs this year in the West. Pistons and Bucks losing out in the East. 

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) Clippers

4) Jazz

5) OKC

6) Portland

7) Rockets

8) Timberwolves

East

1) Cavaliers

2) Raptors

3) Celtics

4) Pacers

5) Heat

6) Hawks

7) Wizards

8) Hornets 

What does the rest of forum predict? 

shug94
    Participant

West

1 Warriors

2 Spurs

3 Jazz

4 Mavericks

5 OKC

6 Portland

7 Clippers

8 Timberwolves

East

1 Cavaliers

2 Celtics

3 Pacers

4 Raptors

5 Magic

6 Pistons

7 Wizards

8 Bucks

I think the Magic are going to be really good with Ibaka.

shug94
    Participant

West

1 Warriors

2 Spurs

3 Jazz

4 Mavericks

5 OKC

6 Portland

7 Clippers

8 Timberwolves

East

1 Cavaliers

2 Celtics

3 Pacers

4 Raptors

5 Magic

6 Pistons

7 Wizards

8 Bucks

shug94
    Participant

West

1 Warriors

2 Spurs

3 Jazz

4 Mavericks

5 OKC

6 Portland

7 Clippers

8 Timberwolves

East

1 Cavaliers

2 Celtics

3 Pacers

4 Raptors

5 Magic

6 Pistons

7 Wizards

8 Bucks

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) OKC (I see Westbrook is that player who can single-handedly bring a team to more than 50 wins)

4) Clippers

5) Mavs (I learned to never dount Carlisle teams. Their success also relies on Bogut’s health)

6) Jazz (The combination of veterans and young guns in this team every GM’s dream)

7) Blazers

8) Rockets (Harden + D’antoni… Veeeeery interesting)

Just missing out: Wolves (I see kinda see a close 4-team race though between Jazz, Blazers, Rockets and Wolves)

East: 

1) Cavs

2) Pacers

3) Hawks (I am one of the only believers left in Dwight and his ability to impact a game with the right teammates and mindset)

4) Raptors (I can’t seem to erase the stench of their terrible post-season even if they made it far. They also lost valuable a valuable back-up in Bismack. And I’m a Raps fan)

5) Celtics

6) Wizards (A healthy Wizards team is a dangerous Wizards team. Markieff is the perfect complement to Wall and I expect Oubre to break out and steal some of Porter’s minutes. Satoransky, Mahinmi and Nicholson off the bench will be nice too)

7) Knicks (Hornacek + Rose will be EXCITING. I just hope Phil doesn’t force Horny to slow it down every after rebound to run triangle)

8) Magic (I trust Vogel will make sense of their logjam in the frontcourt and make the most of the talent there)

Missing out:

Hornets ( Lin was such a big loss for them. He paired so well with Walker and was a huge soark off the bench. They also lost C-Lee and Big Al)

Heat: Not sure how healthy Bosh is. Wade’s departure too will be huge. A lot to put on Whiteside and Goran’s shoulders)

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) OKC (I see Westbrook is that player who can single-handedly bring a team to more than 50 wins)

4) Clippers

5) Mavs (I learned to never dount Carlisle teams. Their success also relies on Bogut’s health)

6) Jazz (The combination of veterans and young guns in this team every GM’s dream)

7) Blazers

Just missing out: Wolves (I see kinda see a close 4-team race though between Jazz, Blazers, Rockets and Wolves)

East: 

1) Cavs

2) Pacers

3) Hawks (I am one of the only believers left in Dwight and his ability to impact a game with the right teammates and mindset)

4) Raptors (I can’t seem to erase the stench of their terrible post-season even if they made it far. They also lost valuable a valuable back-up in Bismack. And I’m a Raps fan)

5) Celtics

6) Wizards (A healthy Wizards team is a dangerous Wizards team. Markieff is the perfect complement to Wall and I expect Oubre to break out and steal some of Porter’s minutes. Satoransky, Mahinmi and Nicholson off the bench will be nice too)

7) Knicks (Hornacek + Rose will be EXCITING. I just hope Phil doesn’t force Horny to slow it down every after rebound to run triangle)

8) Magic (I trust Vogel will make sense of their logjam in the frontcourt and make the most of the talent there)

Missing out:

Hornets ( Lin was such a big loss for them. He paired so well with Walker and was a huge soark off the bench. They also lost C-Lee and Big Al)

Heat: Not sure how healthy Bosh is. Wade’s departure too will be huge. A lot to put on Whiteside and Goran’s shoulders)

DolanCare
      Participant

I like your West rankings. I agree that the Mavs could easily remain in the playoffs. Afterall, they have a better active roster than they did last year.  OKC at 3 is a bold pick, but one that I like. Russ gets MVP if that happens.

As for your Eastern playoff predications…. I’m a lifelong Knicks fans but I’m skeptical we can beat out the Hornets and Heat for a spot.

Lee and Lin were hard losses for Charlotte but they still have their best three players on the roster: Walker, Williams and Batum. 

Obviously Bosh is a big quesiton mark. But this Heat team was still pretty nasty last year when both Wade and Bosh were sidelined. Dragic will flourish without Wade, they can still make the 8th seed even without Bosh.

If everyone is healthy for the Knicks, they’re scary…. Pretty big ‘if’ though. Assuming it’s Melo, Porzingis and Jennings as the core- they’re lucky to make the 8th seed. If Noah and Rose can contribute at a high-level on a routine basis, they’re a three seed. Don’t see that happening though. 

Lastly, mark my words… the Magic aren’t going anywhere this year. Unless Mario Hezonja ascends into an elite wing player in the next 5 months, this team is scoring 85 points a night. 

DolanCare
      Participant

I like your West rankings. I agree that the Mavs could easily remain in the playoffs. Afterall, they have a better active roster than they did last year.  OKC at 3 is a bold pick, but one that I like. Russ gets MVP if that happens.

As for your Eastern playoff predications…. I’m a lifelong Knicks fans but I’m skeptical we can beat out the Hornets and Heat for a spot.

Lee and Lin were hard losses for Charlotte but they still have their best three players on the roster: Walker, Williams and Batum. 

Obviously Bosh is a big quesiton mark. But this Heat team was still pretty nasty last year when both Wade and Bosh were sidelined. Dragic will flourish without Wade, they can still make the 8th seed even without Bosh.

If everyone is healthy for the Knicks, they’re scary…. Pretty big ‘if’ though. Assuming it’s Melo, Porzingis and Jennings as the core- they’re lucky to make the 8th seed. If Noah and Rose can contribute at a high-level on a routine basis, they’re a three seed. Don’t see that happening though. 

Lastly, mark my words… the Magic aren’t going anywhere this year. Unless Mario Hezonja ascends into an elite wing player in the next 5 months, this team is scoring 85 points a night. 

DolanCare
      Participant

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

4) Clippers

7) Blazers

East: 

1) Cavs

2) Pacers

5) Celtics

Missing out:

Zouldiers
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) Clippers

4) Jazz

5) OKC

6) Portland

7) Mavericks

8) Timberwolves

East

1) Cavaliers

2) Celtics

3) Pacers

4) Raptors

5) Hawks

6) Hornets

7) Bulls

8) Heat

Zouldiers
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) Clippers

4) Jazz

5) OKC

6) Portland

7) Mavericks

8) Timberwolves

East

1) Cavaliers

2) Celtics

3) Pacers

4) Raptors

5) Hawks

6) Hornets

7) Bulls

8) Heat

Zouldiers
    Participant

West

1) Warriors

2) Spurs

3) Clippers

4) Jazz

5) OKC

6) Portland

7) Mavericks

8) Timberwolves

East

1) Cavaliers

2) Celtics

3) Pacers

4) Raptors

5) Hawks

6) Hornets

7) Bulls

8) Heat

Toronto16
    Participant

Does Al Horford really make the Celtics the 2nd best team in the east?

Toronto16
    Participant

Toronto16
    Participant

high floor
    Participant

West:

1.) Warriors – Undisputed IMO

2.) Spurs – Still a 60+ win team even if they rest guys down the stretch

3.) Clippers – Can their big 3 stay healthy?

4.) OKC – Super hard to guage. I feel Westbrook & co. will carry team to 50 wins

5.) Utah – They will take a sizable leap.. but not enough for home court advantage

6.) Portland – Will finish with almost the exact same record as last year

7.) Memphis – I would have them higher if they did not lose Coach Joerger. Health a concern

8.) Dallas – Carlisle will have this team fighting like he always does

East

1.) Cleveland – Kings of the East for the forseeable future

2.) Toronto – Losing Biyombo will cost them a few games. Still no. 2 though in my opinion

3.) Boston – Creeping up the standings. Al Horford needs to improve his rebounding for them to challenge for no. 2

4.) Indiana – This team is built to win in the playoffs. Big Al will help them advance to the 2nd round

5.) Atlanta – If Dwight misses a chunk of time, I think they could fall to 7

6.) Detroit – Stan Van will have this team playing above average ball. 46 wins, 6 seed. Book it

7.) Charlotte – I believe the loss of Lin & Big Al hurts, he was awesome for the 2nd unit. MKG is back though..

8.) Orlando – Could be higher if they figure out how to score. Could be a top 6 defense, but will struggle to score. A leap in production from Elfrid Payton & Aaron Gordon could bump them up higher

high floor
    Participant

West:

4.) OKC – Super hard to guage. I feel Westbrook & co. will carry team to 50 wins

5.) Utah – They will take a sizable leap.. but not enough for home court advantage

7.) Memphis – I would have them higher if they did not lose Coach Joerger. Health a concern

East

2.) Toronto – Losing Biyombo will cost them a few games. Still no. 2 though in my opinion

3.) Boston – Creeping up the standings. Al Horford needs to improve his rebounding for them to challenge for no. 2

4.) Indiana – This team is built to win in the playoffs. Big Al will help them advance to the 2nd round

6.) Detroit – Stan Van will have this team playing above average ball. 46 wins, 6 seed. Book it

7.) Charlotte – I believe the loss of Lin & Big Al hurts, he was awesome for the 2nd unit. MKG is back though..

8.) Orlando – Could be higher if they figure out how to score. Could be a top 6 defense, but will struggle to score. A leap in production from Elfrid Payton & Aaron Gordon could bump them up higher

high floor
    Participant

West:

East

machu46
    Participant

West:

1. Golden State – Duh.

2. Spurs – Still great even without Duncan IMO

3. Clippers – To me, the top 3 in the West is pretty clear this year.

4. OKC – Still a good team even without Durant

5. Grizzlies – If everyone can stay healthy, I think they have enough talent to finish here.

6. Jazz – I think this is finally the year that they get back into the playoffs.

7. Portland – Pretty good, but I expect a small step back from last year.

8. Rockets – Basically just faith in James Harden

East:

1. Cavs – Duh.

2. Raptors – This will be a tough one between them and the Celtics.

3. Celtics

4. Pacers – I like their additions.  Honestly though, 4-12 in the East should be a weirdly tight race.

5. Atlanta – Dwight is still good and so is this team.

6. Bucks – Their starting lineup was good enough to be playoff team a year ago, and I believe that with Dellavedova, Teletovic, and one more piece that I expect them to bring in, the bench will be up to the task as well.

7. Bulls – I think this team is going to be a mess and Hoiberg will be fired, but there’s too much talent for them not to sneak in.

8. Wizards – A lot of this will depend on Beal’s health, but I think they have the talent to sneak into the playoffs.

Hornets, Knicks, and Pistons should all be within a couple games of a playoff spot too.

machu46
    Participant

West:

1. Golden State – Duh.

5. Grizzlies – If everyone can stay healthy, I think they have enough talent to finish here.

6. Jazz – I think this is finally the year that they get back into the playoffs.

East:

1. Cavs – Duh.

3. Celtics

4. Pacers – I like their additions.  Honestly though, 4-12 in the East should be a weirdly tight race.

6. Bucks – Their starting lineup was good enough to be playoff team a year ago, and I believe that with Dellavedova, Teletovic, and one more piece that I expect them to bring in, the bench will be up to the task as well.

7. Bulls – I think this team is going to be a mess and Hoiberg will be fired, but there’s too much talent for them not to sneak in.

8. Wizards – A lot of this will depend on Beal’s health, but I think they have the talent to sneak into the playoffs.

Hornets, Knicks, and Pistons should all be within a couple games of a playoff spot too.

machu46
    Participant

West:

1. Golden State – Duh.

East:

1. Cavs – Duh.

3. Celtics

Arc12345
    Participant

Am I the only one that could see Chicago being top 4? Sure they’re not the best shooting team, but talk about talent on that squad. Hard for me to envision them not making some noise.

Same with the Knicks, I can’t see them not making the playoffs after the moves they made. Albeit it’s probably a 7 or 8 seed.

Arc12345
    Participant

Am I the only one that could see Chicago being top 4? Sure they’re not the best shooting team, but talk about talent on that squad. Hard for me to envision them not making some noise.

Same with the Knicks, I can’t see them not making the playoffs after the moves they made. Albeit it’s probably a 7 or 8 seed.

machu46
      Participant

I don’t really see a top 4 seed for Chicago at all.  I just think Rondo, Wade, and Butler are a match made in hell.  Only 8 guards in the NBA played at least 2200 minutes and made fewer than 80 3’s, and 3 of those 8 are now starting for the Bulls.  They have enough talent that I think they’ll sneak into the playoffs, but I don’t think it’s going to be a very good team at all.

And I just don’t think the Knicks are a good team, even on paper.  Rose hasn’t been good for almost 4 or 5 years now.  Noah appears to be rapidly declining, posting the worst TS% in a single season that I’ve ever seen.  Lee, Melo, and Porzingis is nice, but I just don’t think it’ll be enough to overcome what I expect to be some awful PG and C play.  They could sneak into the playoffs, but with how tight I expect the race to be from 4-12, they could easily end up with a top 8 pick in the draft.

machu46
      Participant

I don’t really see a top 4 seed for Chicago at all.  I just think Rondo, Wade, and Butler are a match made in hell.  Only 8 guards in the NBA played at least 2200 minutes and made fewer than 80 3’s, and 3 of those 8 are now starting for the Bulls.  They have enough talent that I think they’ll sneak into the playoffs, but I don’t think it’s going to be a very good team at all.

And I just don’t think the Knicks are a good team, even on paper.  Rose hasn’t been good for almost 4 or 5 years now.  Noah appears to be rapidly declining, posting the worst TS% in a single season that I’ve ever seen.  Lee, Melo, and Porzingis is nice, but I just don’t think it’ll be enough to overcome what I expect to be some awful PG and C play.  They could sneak into the playoffs, but with how tight I expect the race to be from 4-12, they could easily end up with a top 8 pick in the draft.

machu46
      Participant

Arc12345
    Participant

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

Wow 1st off it’s been a while, and people still seem to not understand basketball! How are people still picking the heat without wade and josh’s unclear health status to make the playoffs and the grizzled to miss to playoffs?

West

1. Warriors-super team by way of durant’s lack of competitive fire

2. Clippers-i have been the anti clippers guy since cp3 joined the team, but this year, with the spurs old as dirt, I give them a chance.

3. Spurs-old, but still have kawhi & LA. Added Gasol, no other additions

4. Grizzlies- how do you count out gasol, a healthy Conley and Parsons?

5. Blazers- another year to gel all that youth, dangerous. I thought they would get a big who could score like monroe, maybe b.lopez

6. Okc- if not yet, I’ll get negged for sure this 1. Westbrook has oladipo to help score until someone else can prove themselves. Also westbrooks lone season without durant they missed the playoffs. Yea.

7. Rockets- I am part of the blame harden train, but in defense he hasn’t had much help in the scoring department, now they do.

8. Not sure if I say Mavs or jazz. Mavs are my team, they also added bout upgrade of healthy, Mathews a full season of recovery,barnes/ JAZz big addition with how, not sure hill is the answer people see, he’s not a true point,  also back in Indy he struggled throwing entry passes to the post,  JAZz have 3 post presences, not sure on JAZz

Wolves, be serious whoever stayed them?

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

Wow 1st off it’s been a while, and people still seem to not understand basketball! How are people still picking the heat without wade and josh’s unclear health status to make the playoffs and the grizzled to miss to playoffs?

West

2. Clippers-i have been the anti clippers guy since cp3 joined the team, but this year, with the spurs old as dirt, I give them a chance.

5. Blazers- another year to gel all that youth, dangerous. I thought they would get a big who could score like monroe, maybe b.lopez

6. Okc- if not yet, I’ll get negged for sure this 1. Westbrook has oladipo to help score until someone else can prove themselves. Also westbrooks lone season without durant they missed the playoffs. Yea.

7. Rockets- I am part of the blame harden train, but in defense he hasn’t had much help in the scoring department, now they do.

8. Not sure if I say Mavs or jazz. Mavs are my team, they also added bout upgrade of healthy, Mathews a full season of recovery,barnes/ JAZz big addition with how, not sure hill is the answer people see, he’s not a true point,  also back in Indy he struggled throwing entry passes to the post,  JAZz have 3 post presences, not sure on JAZz

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

But that season wherein they were without Durant Russ missed a chunk of games too. And even with that, OKC still remained like one win away from the playoffs in what at that time was one of the toughest Western Conference races ever.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
        Participant

I hate when ppl try to defend Russ in that season, he still played 67 games, and 1 of the toughest races ever? The pelicans beat out the thunder with 45 wins, how many seasons just in the past decades has all team in the west won at least 48 games!?! He also shot less than 30% on 3s and 42% overall, get real, he is good but super inefficient.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
        Participant

I hate when ppl try to defend Russ in that season, he still played 67 games, and 1 of the toughest races ever? The pelicans beat out the thunder with 45 wins, how many seasons just in the past decades has all team in the west won at least 48 games!?! He also shot less than 30% on 3s and 42% overall, get real, he is good but super inefficient.

Stop_basketball_nonsense
        Participant

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

But that season wherein they were without Durant Russ missed a chunk of games too. And even with that, OKC still remained like one win away from the playoffs in what at that time was one of the toughest Western Conference races ever.

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

Stop_basketball_nonsense
    Participant

West

stifler101
    Participant

WEST

1) Warriors – won’t win 73 games while incorporating KD and the reshuffled bench, but will still lead the league in wins

2) Clippers – brought everyone back and if they stay healthy should be right up there with the Spurs in the regular season (playoffs could always be another story until they prove otherwise)

3) Spurs – don’t think Pop will try and earn the 1 seed this year (and may not be able to); despite his decline, they’ll miss Duncan’s defense a lot.  Pau is a good replacement, especially offensively, but they’ve lost some depth…still will be an elite team though

4) Jazz – they nearly made the playoffs last year and had a ton of injuries…Exum & Burks are now healthy and they’ve added George Hill, Joe Johnson, Boris Diaw…none of these guys essentially played for them last year so I’m expecting 50 wins here as the mid-tier in the West has some room to move up

5) Grizzlies – assuming Gasol, Conley, Parsons, and Wright stay relatively healthy this year, I love what Memphis did this offseason. it’ll be interesting to see if Fizdale continues grit-and-grind or uses Z-Bo in a more complementary/bench role, but barring injury there’s enough talent here to resume their place as a mid-tier contender in the West

6) Blazers – didn’t do enough this offseason to move up any, will likely have a similar record to last year…but with Dame they’re still dangerous as a 6th seed come playoff time

7) Thunder – OKC could still move up these rankings depending on how they conclude their offseason, but I can’t say that a lineup of Adams, Kanter, Roberson, Oladpio, Westbrook with virtually no proven bench (outside of Ilyasova) is better than the aforementioned 6 squads

8) Timberwolves – may not reach .500 and may not need to to squeek into the playoffs in the West, but Thibs will get these guys playing more consistent defense and KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, Dunn will take a big step forward

MISSING OUT (West)

9) Mavericks – they’ll fight to the end of the regular season, but Minny’s young talent wins out and Dallas struggles with injuries. The others below them (Sacramento, Houston, Denver) aren’t legitimate threats this year (unless a trade is made)

EAST

1) Cavaliers – hands down the best East team

2) Raptors – losing Biyombo hurts, but hopefully the confidence gained in last year’s playoffs + a fully healthy year from Carroll will offset that somewhat; may play a lot more small ball this year

3) Pacers – not sold on McMillan over Vogel, but they’ve drastically increased their talent and I think Paul George will be in the running for MVP this year with these pieces around him

4) Celtics – Horford helps gets these guys to 50 wins, but Ainge needs to add another star to challenge the Cavs

5) Pistons – after the Tobias Harris deadline deal, the Pistons were winning at a 50-win pace last year; may not get there in an improved East, but they made great offseason additions to combat last season’s weakness: the bench (Ish Smith, Jone Leuer, BOBAN)…think a lot of the people in this thread will be surprised (judging by many picking them to miss the playoffs entirely), but SVG has a good thing going here

6) Hornets – Charlotte takes a slight step back losing Big Al, Courtney Lee, & Jeremy Lin,  MKG coming back healthy (hopefully) should help, and look for Kemba to challenge for an All-Star spot this year…but they’re still probably in the same seed, with maybe a couple less wins

7) Knicks – obviously if a few of their new additions continue to have health issues, this won’t happen, but color me optimistic that this squad comes together and actually gets New York back to the playoffs

8) Hawks – I think the Hawks may figure it out around playoff time and actually challenge the Cavs better as now constructed than it years past (couldn’t be much worse than being swept 2 years in a row), but I think it’ll take time for Howard and Shroder to settle into their new roles…they could be more dangerous next year if they retain Millsap, but this season will be a step back as far as wins are concerned

MISSING OUT (East)

9) Wizards – slightly better on paper than last year, but it’s hard to give Beal the benefit of the doubt to be healthy all year…Brooks may groom Wall for his best season yet but I think in an ultra competive 6-13 East they’ll fall right about where they were last year

10) Bucks – assuming they can move Monroe or find a way to minimize his defensive liabilities, I think the shooting they added in the offseason combined with utilizing Greek Freak as a point forward will make him and All-Star and/or MIP candidate and get the Bucks back into the hunt for a playoff spot at least

11) Heat – Dragic will have a great year and Whiteside will be solid again, but I don’t think Bosh will ever play again and the rest of the team is spare parts; despite Spoelstra’s brilliance, Miami will fall short in the first year of the post-Wade era

12) Magic – love Vogel as a coach and their defense could be the best in the league, but they’ll struggle to score outside of Fournier…Aaron Gordon looks to be stuck playing a lot of SF (Jeff Green might be too) and that’s not a good recipe for successful offense in this day and age

13) Bulls – Hoiberg still doesn’t have the players to run his space and pace system, and they lost a lot of interior talent this summer…Butler, Wade, Rondo are gifted individual players on the perimeter, but they simply don’t complement each other well at all

stifler101
    Participant

WEST

1) Warriors – won’t win 73 games while incorporating KD and the reshuffled bench, but will still lead the league in wins

2) Clippers – brought everyone back and if they stay healthy should be right up there with the Spurs in the regular season (playoffs could always be another story until they prove otherwise)

3) Spurs – don’t think Pop will try and earn the 1 seed this year (and may not be able to); despite his decline, they’ll miss Duncan’s defense a lot.  Pau is a good replacement, especially offensively, but they’ve lost some depth…still will be an elite team though

4) Jazz – they nearly made the playoffs last year and had a ton of injuries…Exum & Burks are now healthy and they’ve added George Hill, Joe Johnson, Boris Diaw…none of these guys essentially played for them last year so I’m expecting 50 wins here as the mid-tier in the West has some room to move up

5) Grizzlies – assuming Gasol, Conley, Parsons, and Wright stay relatively healthy this year, I love what Memphis did this offseason. it’ll be interesting to see if Fizdale continues grit-and-grind or uses Z-Bo in a more complementary/bench role, but barring injury there’s enough talent here to resume their place as a mid-tier contender in the West

6) Blazers – didn’t do enough this offseason to move up any, will likely have a similar record to last year…but with Dame they’re still dangerous as a 6th seed come playoff time

7) Thunder – OKC could still move up these rankings depending on how they conclude their offseason, but I can’t say that a lineup of Adams, Kanter, Roberson, Oladpio, Westbrook with virtually no proven bench (outside of Ilyasova) is better than the aforementioned 6 squads

8) Timberwolves – may not reach .500 and may not need to to squeek into the playoffs in the West, but Thibs will get these guys playing more consistent defense and KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, Dunn will take a big step forward

MISSING OUT (West)

9) Mavericks – they’ll fight to the end of the regular season, but Minny’s young talent wins out and Dallas struggles with injuries. The others below them (Sacramento, Houston, Denver) aren’t legitimate threats this year (unless a trade is made)

EAST

2) Raptors – losing Biyombo hurts, but hopefully the confidence gained in last year’s playoffs + a fully healthy year from Carroll will offset that somewhat; may play a lot more small ball this year

3) Pacers – not sold on McMillan over Vogel, but they’ve drastically increased their talent and I think Paul George will be in the running for MVP this year with these pieces around him

4) Celtics – Horford helps gets these guys to 50 wins, but Ainge needs to add another star to challenge the Cavs

5) Pistons – after the Tobias Harris deadline deal, the Pistons were winning at a 50-win pace last year; may not get there in an improved East, but they made great offseason additions to combat last season’s weakness: the bench (Ish Smith, Jone Leuer, BOBAN)…think a lot of the people in this thread will be surprised (judging by many picking them to miss the playoffs entirely), but SVG has a good thing going here

6) Hornets – Charlotte takes a slight step back losing Big Al, Courtney Lee, & Jeremy Lin,  MKG coming back healthy (hopefully) should help, and look for Kemba to challenge for an All-Star spot this year…but they’re still probably in the same seed, with maybe a couple less wins

7) Knicks – obviously if a few of their new additions continue to have health issues, this won’t happen, but color me optimistic that this squad comes together and actually gets New York back to the playoffs

8) Hawks – I think the Hawks may figure it out around playoff time and actually challenge the Cavs better as now constructed than it years past (couldn’t be much worse than being swept 2 years in a row), but I think it’ll take time for Howard and Shroder to settle into their new roles…they could be more dangerous next year if they retain Millsap, but this season will be a step back as far as wins are concerned

MISSING OUT (East)

9) Wizards – slightly better on paper than last year, but it’s hard to give Beal the benefit of the doubt to be healthy all year…Brooks may groom Wall for his best season yet but I think in an ultra competive 6-13 East they’ll fall right about where they were last year

10) Bucks – assuming they can move Monroe or find a way to minimize his defensive liabilities, I think the shooting they added in the offseason combined with utilizing Greek Freak as a point forward will make him and All-Star and/or MIP candidate and get the Bucks back into the hunt for a playoff spot at least

11) Heat – Dragic will have a great year and Whiteside will be solid again, but I don’t think Bosh will ever play again and the rest of the team is spare parts; despite Spoelstra’s brilliance, Miami will fall short in the first year of the post-Wade era

12) Magic – love Vogel as a coach and their defense could be the best in the league, but they’ll struggle to score outside of Fournier…Aaron Gordon looks to be stuck playing a lot of SF (Jeff Green might be too) and that’s not a good recipe for successful offense in this day and age

13) Bulls – Hoiberg still doesn’t have the players to run his space and pace system, and they lost a lot of interior talent this summer…Butler, Wade, Rondo are gifted individual players on the perimeter, but they simply don’t complement each other well at all

stifler101
    Participant

WEST

MISSING OUT (West)

EAST

MISSING OUT (East)

cjw
    Participant

I can’t believe how many people left the Grizz off their list. They didn’t make it last year because of their record setting injuries. The year before that they were a 5 seed and have now added Parsons (much needed shooting). Okc lost durant so the grizzlies most likely take the 4 spot this year.

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

Marc Gasol is coming off an achilles tear, Z-Bo is slowing down considerably and theIr bench is weaker than last year’s without C-Lee and Jeff Green. Parsons is meh. Not enough to make them compete in a tough western conference.

Lets see your own list then before you start negging every single post here.

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

Marc Gasol is coming off an achilles tear, Z-Bo is slowing down considerably and theIr bench is weaker than last year’s without C-Lee and Jeff Green. Parsons is meh. Not enough to make them compete in a tough western conference.

cjw
        Participant

Parsons MEH?!? He is an above average sf who fixes their 1 weakness as a team and their bench got better with baldwin, davis, troy daniels

West- GS, spurs, clippers, grizz, blazers, jazz, thunder, rockets

East- Cavs, celtics, raptors, pacers, hawks, wizards, bucks, knicks

5-8 in east is gonna be real close

cjw
        Participant

Parsons MEH?!? He is an above average sf who fixes their 1 weakness as a team and their bench got better with baldwin, davis, troy daniels

Jr. ROXAS
          Participant

Yup. Meh. Lol. You really think Parsons will be the difference to lead them to… 4th place??? Their team last year with a healthy Gasol and Chalmers with Jeff Green and C-Lee were sticking around the 5-6 spot. The West is way more competitive now no way only Parsons is the answer to get them a 4th seed (?!!) Lmao.

And slow down with the "bench got better." What???? LOL. Thats 2 rookies right there no way they make up for the production of Green, Chalmers and Lee. I love Davis but he’s not ready to produce at the pro level yet. And come on now, TROY DANIEL?? LOL. You really think he’d make them have a "better bench". That guy may be one of the worst defenders in the league, watch his tape. He’s a good spot up shooter but so is Anthony Morrow, and we all know how shooters that are more terrible at defense lose playing time because they impact the game negatively.

Jr. ROXAS
          Participant

Yup. Meh. Lol. You really think Parsons will be the difference to lead them to… 4th place??? Their team last year with a healthy Gasol and Chalmers with Jeff Green and C-Lee were sticking around the 5-6 spot. The West is way more competitive now no way only Parsons is the answer to get them a 4th seed (?!!) Lmao.

And slow down with the "bench got better." What???? LOL. Thats 2 rookies right there no way they make up for the production of Green, Chalmers and Lee. I love Davis but he’s not ready to produce at the pro level yet. And come on now, TROY DANIEL?? LOL. You really think he’d make them have a "better bench". That guy may be one of the worst defenders in the league, watch his tape. He’s a good spot up shooter but so is Anthony Morrow, and we all know how shooters that are more terrible at defense lose playing time because they impact the game negatively.

cjw
            Participant

Idk why you think its crazy that the grizz could be the 4 seed. The blazers and jazz might take a big step but are unproven and not as balanced. Jeff Green was never as effective as he was supposed to be and chalmers was brought in to start after conley went down. Lee is a big loss but the grizz are a well rounded team who has proven they are competitive in the west.

cjw
            Participant

Idk why you think its crazy that the grizz could be the 4 seed. The blazers and jazz might take a big step but are unproven and not as balanced. Jeff Green was never as effective as he was supposed to be and chalmers was brought in to start after conley went down. Lee is a big loss but the grizz are a well rounded team who has proven they are competitive in the west.

cjw
            Participant

Jr. ROXAS
          Participant

cjw
        Participant

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

cjw
    Participant

I can’t believe how many people left the Grizz off their list. They didn’t make it last year because of their record setting injuries. The year before that they were a 5 seed and have now added Parsons (much needed shooting). Okc lost durant so the grizzlies most likely take the 4 spot this year.

cjw
    Participant

Andrew1984
    Participant

I’m going to be bold and be the first to say that GS will not be the No. 1 seed. That doesn’t mean they aren’t the favorite to win the title, but I do think it’s going to take them some time to figure out how it comes together. I also believe the top three teams will have very similar records, perhaps within a game or two of each other.

1. Clippers: They’re actually flying under the radar right now, and will be healthy this year, with no major changes to the roster. The chemistry is there.
    2. Golden State: See above.
    3. San Antonio: Parker will be another step slower and Duncan’s presence will be missed. It’s Kawhi’s show, but I expect a drop-off from last year.
    4. New Orleans: The Brow will be more comfortable in Gentry’s system and will deliver an MVP-caliber season. 5. Minnesota: Karl Towns establishes himself as a superstar, Wiggins is maturing, Thibs teaches them defense and how to win.
    6. OKC: The loss of one of the league’s best players has an impact, but they have enough talent and experience to remain competitive.
    7. Houston: The loss of D-12 is addition by subtraction. Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson will fit in nicely.
    8. Phoenix: I absolutely love the Suns’ backcourt with a healthy Knight and Bledsoe and the emergence of Devin Booker. Tyson Chandler is underrated and I believe Earl Watson knows how to motivate guys like Len and T.J. Warren. I think they’ll edge out Portland, Dallas, and Memphis for the final spot.

1. Cleveland: Maybe a slight hangover, but not enough competition to be overtaken.
    2. Indiana: I am a huge fan of Paul George and Myles Turner, and bringing in Jeff Teague is exactly what they needed to make them more dynamic.
    3. New York Knicks: They have managed to assemble a collection of savvy, experienced veterans that I think will be feisty and physical. I don’t expect D-Rose to be what he once was, but I foresee a consistent display of both offense and defense from the Knicks.
    4. Boston: I love Stevens, IT, and Horford, but I’m still not sure there’s enough other talent there to win more than one playoff series or to truly compete for the No. 1 seed.
    5. Toronto: I expect a little bit of a regression from last year, but another solid season.
    6. Washington: John Wall and Brad Beal are too good to have two disappointing seasons in a row.
    7. Milwaukee: Freak, Jabari, and Middleton as a core are going to turn some heads in the East.
    8. Orlando: I know there’s a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I think they’ll put it together well enough to get in over Charlotte, Miami, and Detroit.

DolanCare
      Participant

Definitely bold. I didn’t neg you, I would never do that after you injected so much flair and eccentricity into this thread. For whatever reason, the Clippers as the top seed isn’t what shocked me, it’s Phoenix in the 8th seed. That pick is the hardest pill for me to swallow. 

DolanCare
      Participant

Definitely bold. I didn’t neg you, I would never do that after you injected so much flair and eccentricity into this thread. For whatever reason, the Clippers as the top seed isn’t what shocked me, it’s Phoenix in the 8th seed. That pick is the hardest pill for me to swallow. 

DolanCare
      Participant

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

I love the boldness.

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

I love the boldness.

Jr. ROXAS
      Participant

I love the boldness.

Andrew1984
    Participant

I’m going to be bold and be the first to say that GS will not be the No. 1 seed. That doesn’t mean they aren’t the favorite to win the title, but I do think it’s going to take them some time to figure out how it comes together. I also believe the top three teams will have very similar records, perhaps within a game or two of each other.

1. Clippers: They’re actually flying under the radar right now, and will be healthy this year, with no major changes to the roster. The chemistry is there.
    3. San Antonio: Parker will be another step slower and Duncan’s presence will be missed. It’s Kawhi’s show, but I expect a drop-off from last year.
    4. New Orleans: The Brow will be more comfortable in Gentry’s system and will deliver an MVP-caliber season. 5. Minnesota: Karl Towns establishes himself as a superstar, Wiggins is maturing, Thibs teaches them defense and how to win.
    6. OKC: The loss of one of the league’s best players has an impact, but they have enough talent and experience to remain competitive.
    7. Houston: The loss of D-12 is addition by subtraction. Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson will fit in nicely.
    8. Phoenix: I absolutely love the Suns’ backcourt with a healthy Knight and Bledsoe and the emergence of Devin Booker. Tyson Chandler is underrated and I believe Earl Watson knows how to motivate guys like Len and T.J. Warren. I think they’ll edge out Portland, Dallas, and Memphis for the final spot.

1. Cleveland: Maybe a slight hangover, but not enough competition to be overtaken.
    2. Indiana: I am a huge fan of Paul George and Myles Turner, and bringing in Jeff Teague is exactly what they needed to make them more dynamic.
    3. New York Knicks: They have managed to assemble a collection of savvy, experienced veterans that I think will be feisty and physical. I don’t expect D-Rose to be what he once was, but I foresee a consistent display of both offense and defense from the Knicks.
    4. Boston: I love Stevens, IT, and Horford, but I’m still not sure there’s enough other talent there to win more than one playoff series or to truly compete for the No. 1 seed.
    5. Toronto: I expect a little bit of a regression from last year, but another solid season.
    6. Washington: John Wall and Brad Beal are too good to have two disappointing seasons in a row.
    7. Milwaukee: Freak, Jabari, and Middleton as a core are going to turn some heads in the East.
    8. Orlando: I know there’s a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I think they’ll put it together well enough to get in over Charlotte, Miami, and Detroit.

Andrew1984
    Participant

TRC1991
    Participant

WEST

1) Golden State

2) LA Clippers

3) San Antonio

4) Memphis

5) Dallas

6) Utah

7) Portland

8) Oklahoma City

—–

9) Houston

10) Minnesota

11) New Orleans

12) Phoenix

13) Denver

14) Sacramento

15) LA Lakers

EAST

1) Cleveland

2) Toronto

3) Boston

4) Indiana

5) Detroit

6) Chicago 

7) Atlanta

8) New York

—–

9) Washington

10) Charlotte

11) Milwaukee

12) Orlando 

13) Miami

14) Philadelphia

15) Brooklyn 

TRC1991
    Participant

WEST

1) Golden State

2) LA Clippers

3) San Antonio

4) Memphis

5) Dallas

6) Utah

7) Portland

8) Oklahoma City

—–

9) Houston

10) Minnesota

11) New Orleans

12) Phoenix

13) Denver

14) Sacramento

15) LA Lakers

EAST

1) Cleveland

2) Toronto

3) Boston

4) Indiana

5) Detroit

6) Chicago 

7) Atlanta

8) New York

—–

9) Washington

10) Charlotte

11) Milwaukee

12) Orlando 

13) Miami

14) Philadelphia

15) Brooklyn 

TRC1991
    Participant

WEST

1) Golden State

2) LA Clippers

3) San Antonio

4) Memphis

5) Dallas

6) Utah

7) Portland

8) Oklahoma City

—–

9) Houston

10) Minnesota

11) New Orleans

12) Phoenix

13) Denver

14) Sacramento

15) LA Lakers

EAST

1) Cleveland

2) Toronto

3) Boston

4) Indiana

5) Detroit

6) Chicago 

7) Atlanta

8) New York

—–

9) Washington

10) Charlotte

11) Milwaukee

12) Orlando 

13) Miami

14) Philadelphia

15) Brooklyn 

joe2324
    Participant

you have portland too low

joe2324
    Participant

joe2324
    Participant

VRod305
    Participant

West

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

East

1. Sixers

2. Cavs

Nothing else matters.

VRod305
    Participant

West

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

East

1. Sixers

2. Cavs

Nothing else matters.

VRod305
    Participant

West

1. Warriors

2. Spurs

East

1. Sixers

2. Cavs

Nothing else matters.

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

West:

1. GS

2. LAC

3. SAS

4. MEM

5. UTA

6. OKC

7. POR

8. DAL

Houston, New Orleans & Minnesota will be very close, but I give Dallas the edge due to depth and Carlisle.

East:

1. CLE

2. TOR

3. BOS

4. IND

5. ATL

6. CHI

7. DET

8. WAS

Milwaukee, NY, Charlotte, Miami & Orlando all keep it tight until the end. 1 key injury could shift any teams fate between 6-13…it’ll be that tight

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

West:

1. GS

2. LAC

3. SAS

4. MEM

5. UTA

6. OKC

7. POR

8. DAL

Houston, New Orleans & Minnesota will be very close, but I give Dallas the edge due to depth and Carlisle.

East:

1. CLE

2. TOR

3. BOS

4. IND

5. ATL

6. CHI

7. DET

8. WAS

Milwaukee, NY, Charlotte, Miami & Orlando all keep it tight until the end. 1 key injury could shift any teams fate between 6-13…it’ll be that tight

SmooveKRYPT
    Participant

West:

1. GS

2. LAC

3. SAS

4. MEM

5. UTA

6. OKC

7. POR

8. DAL

East:

1. CLE

2. TOR

3. BOS

4. IND

5. ATL

6. CHI

7. DET

8. WAS

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

I would love to see the Knicks back in the playoffs but I’m a lot more skeptical then some of you guys. They have very little depth. Their center rotation is Joakim Noah (who seems to be on the downside and played only 29 games last year) and two guys who have never played a minute in the NBA. Their point guard rotation is Rose (we know his injury history) and Jennings who is coming off a torn achilles. They have too much relying on players who have had injury troubles as of late. 

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

I would love to see the Knicks back in the playoffs but I’m a lot more skeptical then some of you guys. They have very little depth. Their center rotation is Joakim Noah (who seems to be on the downside and played only 29 games last year) and two guys who have never played a minute in the NBA. Their point guard rotation is Rose (we know his injury history) and Jennings who is coming off a torn achilles. They have too much relying on players who have had injury troubles as of late. 

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login