This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by r377r377 r377 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    bigjah8
    Participant

there was a topic with comparisons pre season, but given what I’ve seen I will say some comps. I’m not declaring these as correct, just what I think from what I’ve seen

1. Markelle Fultz – John Wall/Kyrie Irving – Is long, athletic and extremely fluid, a la john wall. But his craftiness and ability to adjust and finish at the rim is more Kyrie like. Best prospect in this draft by a lot. I think he will be the face of a franchise
    2. Lonzo Ball – Poor Man’s Penny Hardaway – hardest prospect to project for me and the comp I’m least confident in. From what I’ve seen, he’s an NBA 2 guard with elite passing vision and an awkard shot that he can hit off the catch. Not much of a finisher while driving and not an explosive athlete, but a decent enough athlete. He’s different from Hardaway cuz he can shoot somewhat. Just thought the size, passing and athleticism was similar.
    3. Dennis Smith – Steve Francis/Eric Bledsoe – Just had his biggest game of the season against Duke. His shot is inconsistent but if its falling look out. He’s got incredible hops and dunking ability, quick twitch quickness, good vision and seems like he can run pick and roll. My reservations on Smith is that he has small arms and looks like a bad defender. While I project him as a good to great NBA player, I wouldn’t touch him with my Sixers because of the fit next to Simmons who will be our primary ballhandler.
    4. Josh Jackson – Andre Iguodala – Very athletic wing, high motor, projects as an elite defender. Good size for his age. Good instincts as a cutter and passer. This comp is his floor for me. If that jumpshot could ever improve he could be one of the best wings in this game (Jimmy Butler) but if he never becomes a go to scorer, being Iggy isn’t a bad outcome either
    5. Jayson Tatum – Harrison Barnes – This is the player who I’ve changed my opinion most on since the summer. He would play 3/4 in the NBA and his best skill is his iso scoring. His midrange shot is butter as well as his off balance shots in the post. He will have to extend to the 3 point range at the next level if he wants to be a great player. I just don’t see a dominant scorer and he hasn’t shown enough defensive flashes for me to get excited on that end. Would be better as a secondary scoring option
    6. Malik Monk – Better Shooting Victor Oladipo – Malik is a slightly undersized off-guard who can jump out the gym, finish on the break and hit catch and shoot threes. This was a difficult comp because most spot up shooters don’t have this level of explosiveness and vice versa. 
    7. Jonathan Isaac – Rashard Lewis/Brandon Ingram – If it was my personal draft board, I’d have Isaac higher than Tatum. His length, athleticism and shooting touch make him extremely intriguing. Isaac’s got the same height and length as NBA centers like John Henson and shows flashes of a perimeter game. He’s still very raw and not the focal point of the offense at Florida State but the tools are there. And for what it’s worth I have more faith in his 3 point shot than the other 3s (tatum and jackson). May be a tweener at the next level, but I really like Isaac and specifically for my Sixers
    8. De’Aaron Fox – Reggie Jackson/Rajon Rondo – first thing you notice is he’s lightning  quick and super fast. Probably the fastest player in the draft. Not in the same tier as the point guards above him as far as passing vision and playmaking. Jumpshot is a big question even more than Dennis Smith
    9. Frank Ntilikina – Dennis Shroder/Dante Exum – this comp is honestly spot on. He shows the same exact flashes of length and athleticism that scouts were going crazy over Dante Exum for. And while Dante hasn’t solidified himself as a rotation player yet, he’s still young, missed a lot of time due to injury and hasn’t really been given the green light from a team as far as touches and minutes (like someone like Mudiay or Elfrid Payton have gotten from their teams). I like Frank slightly more than Exum as a shot creator and he would be higher than this on my personal draft board
    10. Lauri Markkanen – Dirk Nowitzki/Taller Hedo Turkoglu – I know Dirk comparisons are cliche and this is his absolute ceiling but man, Lauri can really shoot. He can shoot from inside, mid range and outside. Hes even shown flashes of ability create his own shot off the dribble in college which makes him more intriguing. More realistic comp is a 7’1 Turkoglu on Orlando. Hedo could really shoot then, in iso and off catch and shoots and was an above average dribbler for his size. Very high on this kid

BallerScript
    Participant

I have been a supporter of the Jayson Tatum to Harrison Barnes comparison for a long time now and I love your comparison of Lauri Markkanen to a taller Hedo.

SlickBouncePass
    Participant

also like how you can’t resist making the Philly comments.

I’ll just add to this with my Philly specific big board.

1. Fultz – the ideal.  Wish they tanked one more year because he is exactly what they need.  Still a shot if they finish bottom 5.

2. Jackson – although perimeter shot is an issue, I’d love to walk away with this kid.  Defense first.  Get to the hole at will.  He can’t shoot but he can break down a defense and put relentless pressure on them and knows how to finish at the rim.  Will raise the team’s defense and can guard the other team’s best player, like you said, floor is Iggy, ceiling is a better Butler, because I think his mind is sharper and plays better in the system.

3. Isaac – length and shooting and ability to play on the perimeter makes Philly more futuristic.  He doesn’t have the handles but he’s a longer smooth scoring Fultz.

4. Smith – watching him play bigtime against Duke showed me something.  The kid was next level over all those Dukies.  Having him and Monk would be a really exciting backcourt.  Smith reminds me of Kyle Lowry.  

5.  Monk – need to see him do more with the ball.  But love his shotmaking and a great fit for Philly.  Will see open looks all day.  Right now Philly has Stauskas, who isn’t bad.  Monk is a level above Stauskas.

6. Ball – again kid showed me something against Arizona.  played hard and to win.  Just another guy that gets the offensive system going.

7.  Ntilinka – everyone’s projecting here.  Exum was highly touted too.  Appears to have all the tools.  I don’t mind him.  Due to his size and shooting and if he has handles he may be as good as Ball or even Smith for us, and maybe slightly above Monk…but, he plays in Europe so you just can’t tell and its a risk.  I’d be intrigued and would take him over the guys below for sure.

8. Markkanen – stroke is too nice.  He’s a little off mentally doesn’t play with the grit I like.  But that shot is beautiful.  But if we walked away with only him with all the other dynamos on the list, I’d be upset.  Philly needs perimeter help.

9. Tatum – noticed it in HS AS games, the kid is exciting but for some reason the shot doesn’t drop and he doesn’t finish.  I have no idea why.  Maybe it will all start clicking once he gets comfortable.  But I’d interview the hell out of him to make sure he understands his role for Sixers basketabll.

10.  Fox – there are too many other PGs.  I think his speed though will be even greater in the older NBA.  All that space and this kid will be flying on fast breaks.  If I got Isaac with the Lakers pick and all the other PGs were gone and was left with Fox, that is not a bad consolation prize at all.  Defense and fast break scoring.

11.  Giles – reminds me of Chris Webber IFFFF he is healthy.  Freaky long and explosive IFFFFF he is healthy, but who knows.  Duke has too many freshman and Coach K and cronies cannot integrate them all like Calipari and Kentucky.

The Goat
    Participant

Ive only seen limited action for most guys this year, but from what Ive seen Josh Jackson has a bit of Justice Winslow about him and De’Aaron Fox reminded me of Cameron Payne for some reason. I haven’t seen London Ball play, but if hes a poor man’s Penny, a 2 with vision.. Steve Smith a fair comp? 

OhCanada-
      Participant

Nah Smith a bad comp. So is Penny tbh. 6’6 decent athlete and strong body with Jason Kidds point gaurd game. Has a nice shot and finds a way to get it off with a bit of space can hit from deep but has no inbetween game. Really struggles from the midrange and with floaters/runners because of his shot form. Has an untraditional shot form where he shoots in front of his body and doesnt get great elevation kinda similar to Shawn Marions shot but prettier and with more ways to get it off from the side. Really sees the floor well loves to push the ball in transition and is a great team player with a great feel for the game.

The Goat
        Participant

OK thanx for the clarification. Will be interesting what happens at the top of the draft if teams loaded with PGs fill the first few spots. 

Jr. ROXAS
    Participant

Lauri Markannen- Brook Lopez (2016-2017 Brook Lopez)

Yea, Markannen may be a more mobile than Brook, and Brook may be a better rim protector, but everywhere else? Man, they are so alike.

Their body type for one is exactly the same. They both have strong and very developed upper bodies. Also they are HUGE. I think they are the type of players that look way bigger in real life than on TV. 

The skillset is almost the same. Markannen likes it better in the permiter but he has an above average post game. Brook likes it better in the post but he can rain threes down on you from time to time. Heck they even have the same shooting form.

At first thought, it may be off to compare them but seeing Markannen play a lot I cant help but always be reminded of BLopez lol.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

I will throw a few different names out there:

Fultz – D’Angelo Russell
    Dennis Smith – Kevin Johnson
    Jayson Tatum – is pretty smooth. James Worthy, Jamal Wilkes, Lamond Murray. Poor mans Bernard King/ George Gervin
    Giles – Jermaine Oneal, Vin Baker, Larry Nance Snr. I don’t mind Webber although Webber was a superior ball handler and passer. You could see C-Webb dribble the ball between his legs, then throw an around the back pass.
    TJ Leaf – Troy Murphy. For an IR comparison I will go Channing Frye
    Terrance Ferguson – Hubert Davis. Poor mans KCP

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

We all know these player comparisons are tricky and will never turn out completely accurate. Players skill sets change as they get older. These are just based on who’s particular body and skill set these players seem to most closely emulate right now. It is not necessarily a projection of how their future NBA career will go.

Fultz- Brandon Roy

Ball- Jason Kidd/grevies Vazquez

Smith- stephon marbury

Tatum- Danny Granger

Jackson- Leonard/igoudala

Giles- very young Jermaine O’Neal

Monk- Bradley Beal

Isaac- rashard Lewis/Darius miles

Markannen- more athletic Frank kaminsky/olynk

Fox- John wall/Dennis Schroeder

Rabb- Taj Gibson

Adebayo- Drummond/howard