This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 7 years ago.

• Author
    SlickBouncePass
    Participant

This year if you follow the Sixers, it went from Embiid, to Embiid passing the torch to Dario Saric.  The Sixers nobody expected to be near a 30 win team, and Dario, TJ, and Covington, the Sixers likely second unit next year, are keeping them in every game.  Dario has improved throughout the year, and thats not having any breaks playing international ball during the summer after a full Europe season, and his Croation coach ran him like a beat horse over the summer.  Dario is keeping the Sixers in games this year, says a lot for his toughness and leadership in addition to skill, the other rookies are all either role players or figuring out their role, not the leader Dario has been since Embiid went down.

Next year is interesting.  With this college freshman class coming in, like the next J. Kidd as they say, in Lonzo Ball, all the other stud guards, and Jackson and Tatum, and the debut of one Ben Simmons, it will be interesting to see who wins it.  

Ball vs. Simmons is really interesting, especially with Ball’s father claiming Ball is Magic with a jumper.  Both guys facilitate, who will be the better facilitator.

Simmons, at least over the summer league, his vision is nasty.  I’d like to ask each guy about the other.  

thetrademachinery
    Participant

Boston, Lakers, Phoenix and Minnesota has go to scorers and few minutes for a rookie so its hard to imagine they produce a roy. (maybe only j.jackson in suns)

Simmons is very possible, but could be injury prone. Whoever Orlando or Sacramento selects is also likely. 

My bet is for DeAaron Fox to be the ROY. Dennis Smith and Malik Monk will have a run too if they all go to other teams than i first mentioned.

Sacremanto picks will prevail with their depleted team.

Anton123
    Participant

It’s absolutely crazy that they went from Embiid being the obvious ROY, to Saric being the obvious ROY and next year they may have THREE! incoming ROY candidates (if they get lucky with the LAL pick). 

Add guys like Covington, Richaun Holmes and Luwawu coming along nicely and the fact that they still have Korkmaz stashed away, and Jeryd Bayless potentially playing a role for them next year, that’s A LOT of talent. 

Everything will depend on the health of Simmons and Embiid, of course, if they are healthy, the team is scary, if they are not, the Sixers wil probably be something like an 8th seed in the East.

festar35festar35
    festar35
    Participant

Tatum to me is built to be a ROY candidate, with his already well progressed offensive game I think he will score points.

Zouldiers
    Participant

I’m going with Simmons for ROTY then whoever PG Sacramento picks a close second.

OhCanada-
      Participant

Im gonna have to agree with that but you also gotta expect Markelle Fultz to be right in there as well as long as he doesnt get picked by Boston. 

Hitster
    Participant

It all depends who lands where, the guy Boston picks won’t probably see as much playing time as the other picks due to their depth. Some guys will be long term prospects and there could be an MCW guy who is drafted lower down but gets good minutes from the start and emerges as an ROY guy.

I’d think Simmons could be a leading contender if he is fit and gets the ball handling job in Philly. The Kings pick/s I agree will probably play from the get go and see good court time.

BeastMode716
    Participant

The guy was an All Star for god sake (should have been) & had the best #’s since Wilt – that insane for a Rookie coming off an injury. He avg 20+, 8 & 2.5 blocks in 25 mpg – I can’t remember the last time a Rookie avg 20 a game & he did it playing part time.

Saric has been so much better than I thought he would be. He’s a lot like Simmons actually but w/o the freak athleticism

Brogdon is having a nice year too but he’s playing w/ the Greek & he’s only avg 10 & 4. And even though Saric & Embiid get crap for being in the 2014 NBA Draft they r both 22 while Brodgon is 24!

Next year I don’t see how it’s not Simmons & I hate saying that b/c I’m a Lakers fan. If we get Fultz, he could Def win it but I think Fultz is the only one who has a chance to challenge Simmons but if Fultz goes to Boston I just don’t see him getting enough minutes on aVeteran team to win ROY

Anton123
      Participant

You can’t remember the last rookie to average 20 ppg? Tyreke Evans, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin? I mean, those guys weren’t around that long ago, gotta remember them. They also didn’t have the luxury of resting every time their team had a back-to-back. If all rookies did that, guys like Kyrie and KAT might’ve averaged 20 ppg as well.

The Sixers have won more games without Joel Embiid than with Joel Embiid, Saric has appeared in all of them. Embiid wasn’t an all-star because he didn’t deserve to be an all-star. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t even next in line after Paul Millsap (who only got in because of K-Love’s injury), Hassan Whiteside probably deserved it more. 

Thefabulousjq
        Participant

Millsap was on the original all-star roster.  They added Melo when Love got injured.  You could make a case that Embiid should have been added instead of Melo since he had nice offensive stats and also plays defense which Melo does not, but Embiid had also just got injured right before the all-star break.  They held him out of the Rising Stars and Skills challenges.

BeastMode716
        Participant

I said playing "Part Time" – 20 ppg playing part time

Evans avg 20 ppg playing 37.2 mpg

Griffin avg 22.5 in 38.0 mpg

Durant avg 20.3 in 34.6 mpg

Embiid avg 20+ in 25 mpg on team that won 10 wins the year before & basically has the same roster & their record in his 31 games was 13-18 w/o him it’s 15 & 29

I get your point though & your retort actually strengthens mine. Griffin & Durant are Hall of Famers & Embiid put up the same #’s playing 10 minutes less per game & his Per 36 stats are topped by Only Wilt Chamberlain

Saric is a nice player but he’s avg 12 pts a game. He’s decent player, but like Brogdon who avg 10 & 4ast & is 2 years older than Both Embiid & Saric – it demonstrates what an Incredibly Weak rookie class this is.

If Wiggins or KAT or even MCW was in this Rookie class I would agree w/ you.

But you just told us a guy who who put up identical Rookie #’s to Durant & Griffin and is a Thousand times better on Defense (Sixers were ranked Top 5 in team Defense w/ Embiid on the court & Embiid’s individual defensive #’s were miles ahead of every other Center in the NBA except Gobert & he was neck & neck w/ Gobert.

I hate to be in a position to argue FOR a Phila Sixers player b/c I can’t stand the team but just like Griffin & Durant, Embiid right out of the gate looks like a transformational talent. Let’s be honest, if Embiid was playing for Any of team but Phila people would be arguing For him & not against him. 

OhCanada-
          Participant

Theres no part time rookie of the year. Brogdon or Saric will win the award depending how much they factor team success. 

machu46
    Participant

I’d guess the ROY will be the Knicks PG or Simmons.

Regarding the OP, I really think Brogdon should be the ROY over Saric. He has Saric beaten in basically every statistical category/advanced metric except for points (which is close) and rebounds (obviously). Saric has been good for 1.5 months after being horrific for most of the season. Brogdon has been pretty good all year.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

I felt like Ball was underrated coming into the season now I feel like he’s brutally overrated.  

Ball reminds me of a spread option college QB like Goff whose numnerd were inflate due to great receivers  and uptempo playstyle.  In Balls case he was surrounded by 3 plus shooters at all times who could hit 40% of theyre 3s.  He had massive trouble breaking people down off the dribble, didn’t run the PnR often enough,  and basically got most of his assists simply making the right pass.  

Ball didn’t have the jaw dropping passes Simmons made last year.   I can’t wait til people see the difference  in their talents levels because it’s extremely vast and Simmons is the clear favorite for ROY next. 

SubZero
      Participant

Agreed. Ball is a very good prospect (as are most guys in the top 10 this year), but Simmons is still a potential All-NBA First Teamer. I feel like people have forgotten how much potential he has because he hasn’t been playing

OhCanada-
    Participant

Philly is gonna be such a scary team next year if they are healthy (or decide to be healthy). If they draft an athletic PG like Smith they really have the best of all worlds for todays NBA in young talent. Go drop a fortune on KCP and they have everything even without him Im high on Justin Anderson. Athletic combo gaurd in the mold of healthy Westbrook, versatile 3 and d with Anderson, Simmons being a do it all pointforward like Lebron/Antetekoumpo, another pointforward to stretch the floor and pass in Saric like a better Hedo Turkoglu, and Embiid at C stretching the floor or dominating the paint. Obviously the comparisons are unrealistic but those would be the tapes I would have them study. Ridiculous upside. 

Atlantic division wont be easy wins for Toronto anymore.

Memphis Madness
    Participant

I think whoever Boston gets would be the sleeper pick. The player can do his thing without having to carry the whole team. Won’t be the focal point of other team’s defense.

So, don’t count out Josh Jackson. Defense, slashing, and dunks plus he reminds me of Johnny Kilroy for some reason. 

I am gonna go with Miles Bridges as my top guy. A stat stuffer and a potential small-ball 4.  A point power forward or whatever those are called.  Reminds me of Charles Barkley some. 

The "fave" Ben Simmons needs to stay healthy and shoot better — I mean A LOT better. Otherwise, maybe he will be overshadowed by Embiid, Saric, and possibly 2 top 5 picks. 

If they end up with Ball and Monk then Simmons has to play as a glorified point forward, closer to Lamar Odom or Toni Kukoc than Magic Johnson.  Then they still have Okafor, Covington, and TJ McConnell who need minutes, shots, and the ball.

Another guy I like: Jordan Bell: great Bill Russell impersonation against Kansas and the most impressed I have been by a tourney performance.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

I’m not even going to guess until I know more about who is going where and how much playing time they can expect to get.y

My pick for this season is saric, just barely edging out brogdon. Saric has taken on more of a featured role the second half of the season than brogdon has all year and he has actually helped keep Philadelphia pretty competitive despite the injuries. For this team to probably win 30 games under the circumstances they faced is actually pretty remarkable and saric deserves a lot of credit for that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login