This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar NBAjunkie81 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    ChicagoCasey
    Participant

This Mock will contain how I believe the season will be played out. 

Average one and done players that came out the last five years: 9.4

One and Done Predictions: Ben Simmons, Skal Labissiere, Jaylen Brown, Jamal Murray, Brandon Ingram, Malik Newman, Isaiah Briscoe, Cheick Diallo, Antonio Blakeney 

Eastern Conference Standings: Cavaliers, Bulls, Heat, Wizards, Bucks, Hawks, Raptors, Pacers / Detroit, Boston, New York, Orlando, Charlotte, Brooklyn, Philadelphia

Western Conference Standings: Warriors, Spurs, Thunder, Rockets, Grizzlies, Clippers, Pelicans, Kings / Dallas, Pheonix, Utah, Minnesota, Los Angeles (L), Portland, Denver

Mock Draft:

1. Philadelphia – Ben Simmons 
    2. Denver – Skal Labissiere
    3. Portland – Jaylen Brown
    4. Los Angeles (L) (Philadelphia’s pick) – Jamal Murray
    5. Brooklyn – (Boston’s Pick) – Brandon Ingram
    6. Charlotte – Jakob Poeltl
    7. Minnesota – Dragan Bender
    8. Orlando – Damian Jones
    9. New York – (Toronto’s Pick) – Malik Pope
    10. Boston – Cheik Diallo
    11. Detroit – Domantas Sabonis
    12. Utah – Malik Newman
    13. Pheonix(Boston’s Pick) – Furkan Korkmaz
    14. Dallas – (Boston’s Pick) – Justin Jackson
    15. Pacers – Kris Dunn
    16. Kings – (Bull’s Pick) – Daniel Hamilton 
    17. Raptors – Amida Brimah 
    18. Hawks – Caris LaVert
    19. Bucks – Devin Robinson
    20. Pelicans – Isaiah Briscoe
    21. Wizards – Demitius Jackson
    22. Clippers – Melo Trimble
    23. Grizzlies – Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk
    24. Heat – (76’s Pick) – Antonio Blakeney
    25. Rockets – Jonathan Jeanne 
    26. Bulls – EC Matthews
    27. Thunder(76’s pick) – Grayson Allen
    28. Spurs – Nigel Hayes
    29. Cavaliers (Sun’s Pick) – Jake Layman
    30. Warriors – Zhou Qi

*This standings is not a prediction to the NBA Finals

*This Mock Draft will be updated weekly when the NCAA Basketball season start

*Most would want to know why I believe Blakeney will be one and done and not some other prospects. I say him because I believe he will leave regardless if he have a poor season or a great season. I see LSU making it far in the tournament.

* I believe Cheik Diallo leaves regardless of his eligability status.

* I believe the Kings will squeek into the playoffs. They have an underrated roster.

providencefriars1
    Participant

Appreciate you putting this out there. Looks fine for an August mock draft.

I have seen a lot of EC Matthews and I don’t think he’s a first round pick. People who think he will be able to play PG are nuts he is a scoring two guard all the way with a below average jumper. 33% from 3 last year.

I’m also intrigued with Svi Mykhaliuk; I’m not putting him in my mock until I see him get playing time. A wing rotation with Greene, Seldon, and some Devonte Graham may put him back in a 10-15 mpg role.

providencefriars1
    Participant

Appreciate you putting this out there. Looks fine for an August mock draft.

I have seen a lot of EC Matthews and I don’t think he’s a first round pick. People who think he will be able to play PG are nuts he is a scoring two guard all the way with a below average jumper. 33% from 3 last year.

I’m also intrigued with Svi Mykhaliuk; I’m not putting him in my mock until I see him get playing time. A wing rotation with Greene, Seldon, and some Devonte Graham may put him back in a 10-15 mpg role.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Well, EC Matthews did shoot 35% from the three his freshman year and he probably is in the same dilemma as RJ Hunter last year when he have for face double teams.

I believe he can transition from a 2 to a point because he have a good enough handle and penetration ability to potentially be a drive and kick type of passer. Of cource he have to prove to be more of a natual point guard and he have to prove he can knock down the three point shot consistently, but I love his overall game and we are now seeing every year that a non-tradidtional power 5 school player come out the blue and emerge as a NBA first round prospect. I believe EC Matthews will be that player.

Rhode Island should be a top 25 school in the country and make the NCAA tournament with a very talented roster. 

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Well, EC Matthews did shoot 35% from the three his freshman year and he probably is in the same dilemma as RJ Hunter last year when he have for face double teams.

I believe he can transition from a 2 to a point because he have a good enough handle and penetration ability to potentially be a drive and kick type of passer. Of cource he have to prove to be more of a natual point guard and he have to prove he can knock down the three point shot consistently, but I love his overall game and we are now seeing every year that a non-tradidtional power 5 school player come out the blue and emerge as a NBA first round prospect. I believe EC Matthews will be that player.

Rhode Island should be a top 25 school in the country and make the NCAA tournament with a very talented roster. 

providencefriars1
        Participant

EC Matthews is not in even close to the same situation as RJ Hunter. Hunter’s main form of offense was the three pointer while Matthews is a guy who likes to attack the basket.

Hunter’s percentages were low primarily because he relied on the 3 so much and took bad shots because he was the best player on the team, not because he was double teamed. There is a huge difference between a guy who has to force a shot with the shot clock winding down and someone who is double teamed. Both guys were not double teamed.

URI has an actual PG, Jarvis Garrett, who came on strong towards the end of last year so Matthews will be playing off the ball.

I agree that URI is a top 25 team this year and either them or Dayton will win the A-10

providencefriars1
        Participant

EC Matthews is not in even close to the same situation as RJ Hunter. Hunter’s main form of offense was the three pointer while Matthews is a guy who likes to attack the basket.

Hunter’s percentages were low primarily because he relied on the 3 so much and took bad shots because he was the best player on the team, not because he was double teamed. There is a huge difference between a guy who has to force a shot with the shot clock winding down and someone who is double teamed. Both guys were not double teamed.

URI has an actual PG, Jarvis Garrett, who came on strong towards the end of last year so Matthews will be playing off the ball.

I agree that URI is a top 25 team this year and either them or Dayton will win the A-10

NBAjunkie81
        Participant

If you are correct & Phila gets Simmons & Murray at #1 & #4 they will have some unreal stable of young blue chip talent – even w/o Embiid – but to think of the players they would have if Embiid is healthy & Saric is there – My Lord – you could argue that they grabbed the best prospect in Each of the ast 4 Drafts – that’s just unheard of! Truly amazing…. I also like Brown going to Portland… I think people forget that Aldridge was 30 years old – I like what Portland is doing, I think the fans are going to be happy watch that young team grow… And Minnesota & Denver are also really building some young talent bases that will be fun to watch… I know it’ll be years before these teams mature but it’s very exciting to watch teams build through the Draft – thanks again for taking the time to put this together, I really appreciate it…

NBAjunkie81
        Participant

If you are correct & Phila gets Simmons & Murray at #1 & #4 they will have some unreal stable of young blue chip talent – even w/o Embiid – but to think of the players they would have if Embiid is healthy & Saric is there – My Lord – you could argue that they grabbed the best prospect in Each of the ast 4 Drafts – that’s just unheard of! Truly amazing…. I also like Brown going to Portland… I think people forget that Aldridge was 30 years old – I like what Portland is doing, I think the fans are going to be happy watch that young team grow… And Minnesota & Denver are also really building some young talent bases that will be fun to watch… I know it’ll be years before these teams mature but it’s very exciting to watch teams build through the Draft – thanks again for taking the time to put this together, I really appreciate it…

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

I appreciate reading your opinion on the draft but, No way Kris Dunn falls all the way to 15, Barring injury he’s going to have a real good season.. Ed Cooley runs the flex offense, which is a very pro friendly offense lots of NBA sets have lots of Flex Principles aka Horns sets, Floppy sets and zipper sets.. He’s going to be a very solid guard at the next level.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Well, I believe he will fall mostly teams will be turned off by his age.

ChicagoCasey
      Participant

Well, I believe he will fall mostly teams will be turned off by his age.

Robb_CRobb_C
    Robb_C
    Participant

I appreciate reading your opinion on the draft but, No way Kris Dunn falls all the way to 15, Barring injury he’s going to have a real good season.. Ed Cooley runs the flex offense, which is a very pro friendly offense lots of NBA sets have lots of Flex Principles aka Horns sets, Floppy sets and zipper sets.. He’s going to be a very solid guard at the next level.

BallerScript
    Participant

Could you give me some info on Jonathan Jeanne?

wonzi_bells
      Participant

From DraftExpress, I haven’t seen him myself.

FIBA Europe U18 Championship Scouting Reports: Centers

August 10, 2015
      Jonathan Givony

Strengths:
      -Has tremendous height for a center at around 7-2 in shoes
      -Has an incredible 7-6 ½ wingspan that would rank him among the longest players in the NBA right off the bat
      -Very fluid and mobile. Can play above the rim with ease. Runs floor well. Covers ground nicely. Can get to places on the court (around the basket) that very few players on the planet can
      -Very skilled for a player his size, particularly his age
      -A consistent presence on the offensive glass. Has soft hands. Averaged 5.8 offensive rebounds per-40 at U18s. Career 5.5 in FIBA competition
      -Can handle the ball a bit, even in open court. Long strides
      -Has a nice looking jumper (from waist up) and should be able to develop into a capable shooter in time
      -Excellent footwork and body control with back to the basket. Can score inside the post, sometimes from long vantage points
      -Impressive touch around the basket
      -Good feel for the game. Can find open man cutting to the rim
      -Tremendous potential defensively with combination of height, length and mobility
      -Very good shot-blocker. 3.5 blocks per-40 at U18s. Career 3.5 in FIBA competition. Rotates and protects the basket
      -Steps out quickly and impressively on pick and roll. Extremely mobile.
      -Shows some potential switching out on perimeter. Can move feet with small, choppy steps. Uses length to contest shots impressively
      -Gets in passing lanes frequently (3.1 at U18s, 2.7 career)

Weaknesses:
      -Frame is very frail. Still many years away from reaching physical maturity.
      -Lower body in particular is very thin
      -Has high hips, which affects his balance
      -Gets backed down frequently in the low post.
      -Average defensive rebounder
      -Shot just 50% from 2-point range at U18s. Not as good of a finisher as you’d expect around the basket with his combination of size, length and athleticism. Lacks a degree of strength and toughness inside the paint. Career 3.5 free throw attempts per-40 and 50% 2P% at FIBA and ANGT level.
      -Does a poor job of drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line
      -Shows potential with his jumper, but struggled badly to convert at U18s. Hit just 1/12 jumpers at the competition. Rushes his shot at times, doesn’t always display great balance. Contorts body sideways on release
      -Career 26/45 (58%) FT% in 31 games

Outlook:Raw, developing prospect with huge upside. Has rare physical tools to go along with a versatile skill-set on both ends of the floor. Signed a contract with Le Mans in Pro A and will likely spend most of his time in the Espoirs league next season. Has clear-cut NBA upside with a chance to be a very high draft pick if he continues to develop accordingly.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3jgaTvupP

wonzi_bells
      Participant

From DraftExpress, I haven’t seen him myself.

FIBA Europe U18 Championship Scouting Reports: Centers

August 10, 2015
      Jonathan Givony

Strengths:
      -Has tremendous height for a center at around 7-2 in shoes
      -Has an incredible 7-6 ½ wingspan that would rank him among the longest players in the NBA right off the bat
      -Very fluid and mobile. Can play above the rim with ease. Runs floor well. Covers ground nicely. Can get to places on the court (around the basket) that very few players on the planet can
      -Very skilled for a player his size, particularly his age
      -A consistent presence on the offensive glass. Has soft hands. Averaged 5.8 offensive rebounds per-40 at U18s. Career 5.5 in FIBA competition
      -Can handle the ball a bit, even in open court. Long strides
      -Has a nice looking jumper (from waist up) and should be able to develop into a capable shooter in time
      -Excellent footwork and body control with back to the basket. Can score inside the post, sometimes from long vantage points
      -Impressive touch around the basket
      -Good feel for the game. Can find open man cutting to the rim
      -Tremendous potential defensively with combination of height, length and mobility
      -Very good shot-blocker. 3.5 blocks per-40 at U18s. Career 3.5 in FIBA competition. Rotates and protects the basket
      -Steps out quickly and impressively on pick and roll. Extremely mobile.
      -Shows some potential switching out on perimeter. Can move feet with small, choppy steps. Uses length to contest shots impressively
      -Gets in passing lanes frequently (3.1 at U18s, 2.7 career)

Weaknesses:
      -Frame is very frail. Still many years away from reaching physical maturity.
      -Lower body in particular is very thin
      -Has high hips, which affects his balance
      -Gets backed down frequently in the low post.
      -Average defensive rebounder
      -Shot just 50% from 2-point range at U18s. Not as good of a finisher as you’d expect around the basket with his combination of size, length and athleticism. Lacks a degree of strength and toughness inside the paint. Career 3.5 free throw attempts per-40 and 50% 2P% at FIBA and ANGT level.
      -Does a poor job of drawing fouls and getting to the free throw line
      -Shows potential with his jumper, but struggled badly to convert at U18s. Hit just 1/12 jumpers at the competition. Rushes his shot at times, doesn’t always display great balance. Contorts body sideways on release
      -Career 26/45 (58%) FT% in 31 games

Outlook:Raw, developing prospect with huge upside. Has rare physical tools to go along with a versatile skill-set on both ends of the floor. Signed a contract with Le Mans in Pro A and will likely spend most of his time in the Espoirs league next season. Has clear-cut NBA upside with a chance to be a very high draft pick if he continues to develop accordingly.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3jgaTvupP

sitlbito
      Participant

He’s rail thin,but 7-2 with great mobility for his size. Usually a solid shooter but couldn’t buy one from outside at the U18,solid FT shooter. insane wingspan as well,the Rudy Gobert comparison will come sooner rather than later. Now he’s sooo far away from contributing even at the PRO A level,he’s gonna join Le Mans next year but not sure he’s gonna play much. I’d rather put him in the 2017 mock draft to be honest.

If I had to pick a frenchman I’d put Luwawu in the first round. Great first step,athletic,good defender and passer,needs to be better from three,but already a good FTshooter.

sitlbito
      Participant

He’s rail thin,but 7-2 with great mobility for his size. Usually a solid shooter but couldn’t buy one from outside at the U18,solid FT shooter. insane wingspan as well,the Rudy Gobert comparison will come sooner rather than later. Now he’s sooo far away from contributing even at the PRO A level,he’s gonna join Le Mans next year but not sure he’s gonna play much. I’d rather put him in the 2017 mock draft to be honest.

If I had to pick a frenchman I’d put Luwawu in the first round. Great first step,athletic,good defender and passer,needs to be better from three,but already a good FTshooter.

BallerScript
    Participant

Could you give me some info on Jonathan Jeanne?

Rip255

Nice work.

I think Deng Adel is a better shooting version of MKG and will soar up draft boards.

I think the big Slider will be Skal Labissiere after Jamal Murray and Isaac Humphries steal his thunder at Kentucky.

And the tanking for Simmons is going to be Epic. Whatever team gets that #1 pick has all their problems solved.

My guess is that the league riggs the lottery and he goes to LA. The NBA would love to shortchange Philly out of that protected pick and if/when Russell busts, the need for a saviour becomes immense.

Rip255

Nice work.

I think Deng Adel is a better shooting version of MKG and will soar up draft boards.

I think the big Slider will be Skal Labissiere after Jamal Murray and Isaac Humphries steal his thunder at Kentucky.

And the tanking for Simmons is going to be Epic. Whatever team gets that #1 pick has all their problems solved.

My guess is that the league riggs the lottery and he goes to LA. The NBA would love to shortchange Philly out of that protected pick and if/when Russell busts, the need for a saviour becomes immense.

sitlbito
    Participant

The number of international players in this draft could be a record honestly.

sitlbito
    Participant

The number of international players in this draft could be a record honestly.

wonzi_bells
      Participant

At first, I looked at this comment and said "huh, they’re aren’t that much" and then I remembered how much of the college players are from other countries.

wonzi_bells
      Participant

At first, I looked at this comment and said "huh, they’re aren’t that much" and then I remembered how much of the college players are from other countries.

Rip255

A record in number and quality. 

I made a thread about how the US is losing its grip on basketball dominance. This is further proof.

Some key reasons why Americans are slipping.

1) Big guys cant shoot. Arent trained to shoot from a young age.

2) Too many would rather look good and lose than look bad and win.

3) Americans gained the edge in many sports in the past due to doping. Including basketball. This has slowed down. If East Germany played basketball…they would have kicked ass too.

4) Often black players have superior athleticism but inferior fundamentals and basketball IQ. These days, basketball IQ and fundamentals are more important than ever. There are exceptions to the rules of course….eg Chris Paul. 

5) Too many off-court distractions. America has a lot of social problems that is holding talented young players back. Like gangs and drugs etc. 

6) Aside from Enes Kanter…nearly all international players are high character guys. 

BallerScript
        Participant

Hahah, I’m guessing you are not american (I’m reppin New Zealand). I disagree with the off-court distractions and stereo-typical athletic black guy without fundamentals. Aside from those I would see this as more over seas scouting and the rise of talent in other countries rather than the U.S getting worse.

Rip255

Where’s all the really good young american players then? You say they aren’t getting worse. 

Last one was Anthony Davis. None on the immediate horizon. 

Rip255

Simmons, Exum, Skal, KAT, Wiggins, Murray, Bender, Herzonja, Mudiay, Porzingas, Maker, Embiid

These guys are better than nearly ALL the young american guys from the last few years. 

Neg me if you disagree, but be prepared to come up with a list of American guys who are BETTER than the guys I listed above. I bet you can’t name more since Anthony Davis was drafted, and that list took me 2 seconds off the top of my head. 

providencefriars1
              Participant

Maybe because America is one country so there are bound to be very good players in the rest of the world too. Basketball has been around for 100 years why wouldn’t other countries produce good players too

providencefriars1
              Participant

Maybe because America is one country so there are bound to be very good players in the rest of the world too. Basketball has been around for 100 years why wouldn’t other countries produce good players too

Rip255

Simmons, Exum, Skal, KAT, Wiggins, Murray, Bender, Herzonja, Mudiay, Porzingas, Maker, Embiid

These guys are better than nearly ALL the young american guys from the last few years. 

Neg me if you disagree, but be prepared to come up with a list of American guys who are BETTER than the guys I listed above. I bet you can’t name more since Anthony Davis was drafted, and that list took me 2 seconds off the top of my head. 

Rip255

Where’s all the really good young american players then? You say they aren’t getting worse. 

Last one was Anthony Davis. None on the immediate horizon. 

BallerScript
        Participant

Hahah, I’m guessing you are not american (I’m reppin New Zealand). I disagree with the off-court distractions and stereo-typical athletic black guy without fundamentals. Aside from those I would see this as more over seas scouting and the rise of talent in other countries rather than the U.S getting worse.

Rip255

A record in number and quality. 

I made a thread about how the US is losing its grip on basketball dominance. This is further proof.

Some key reasons why Americans are slipping.

1) Big guys cant shoot. Arent trained to shoot from a young age.

2) Too many would rather look good and lose than look bad and win.

3) Americans gained the edge in many sports in the past due to doping. Including basketball. This has slowed down. If East Germany played basketball…they would have kicked ass too.

4) Often black players have superior athleticism but inferior fundamentals and basketball IQ. These days, basketball IQ and fundamentals are more important than ever. There are exceptions to the rules of course….eg Chris Paul. 

5) Too many off-court distractions. America has a lot of social problems that is holding talented young players back. Like gangs and drugs etc. 

6) Aside from Enes Kanter…nearly all international players are high character guys. 

theballerway
    Participant

One america was certainly not the only country doping.

Two alot of the foreign players get ‘projected’ higher because they are seen less frequently. The mystique of unfamiliarity. (Bender, Herzonja~I am curious as how good you epect him to be, Porzingas. especially Exum)

Then you got the fact that many of the other play in the US at high schools – KAT, Wiggins, Mudiay, Embid, Maker(who is project albeit wrongly as the 22nd in 17′.

Saying all that though how many of the guys you listed do you think will be as good as AD though. Theres a middle groumnd where most of those players will end up. ~Your man Simmons maaaaybe.  

Wiggins  – Parker/Noel (not equal players but not light years behind either)

Kat  – Okafor(matter of opinion),

Porzingas – M.Turner

Bender – Ingram, Bagley

Mudiay – Russell(was more sought after prospect this draft)

Skal – Rabb with the edge to Skal for that jumpshot

Embid – has yet to play

Exum – has done nothing to show he is a AD level talent and is injured – A.Gordon/Olidipo are two americans with similar if not higher value imo

Maker (who I like) is ranked 22 behind – Giles , Smith, Monk , Josh Jackson etc despite being older

Murray – Jaylen Brown

Simmons is ahead of the pack as we all know

The class of 2017 is very strong, the american talent pool is just so large look at the Blue n White game the talent is there and will only get better imo.

the lack of fundamentals in todays game I think youll find extends to more than just Black players. i think its a worldwide issue to be honest but I am not suprised you wouldnt notice that

theballerway
    Participant

One america was certainly not the only country doping.

Two alot of the foreign players get ‘projected’ higher because they are seen less frequently. The mystique of unfamiliarity. (Bender, Herzonja~I am curious as how good you epect him to be, Porzingas. especially Exum)

Then you got the fact that many of the other play in the US at high schools – KAT, Wiggins, Mudiay, Embid, Maker(who is project albeit wrongly as the 22nd in 17′.

Saying all that though how many of the guys you listed do you think will be as good as AD though. Theres a middle groumnd where most of those players will end up. ~Your man Simmons maaaaybe.  

Wiggins  – Parker/Noel (not equal players but not light years behind either)

Kat  – Okafor(matter of opinion),

Porzingas – M.Turner

Bender – Ingram, Bagley

Mudiay – Russell(was more sought after prospect this draft)

Skal – Rabb with the edge to Skal for that jumpshot

Embid – has yet to play

Exum – has done nothing to show he is a AD level talent and is injured – A.Gordon/Olidipo are two americans with similar if not higher value imo

Maker (who I like) is ranked 22 behind – Giles , Smith, Monk , Josh Jackson etc despite being older

Murray – Jaylen Brown

Simmons is ahead of the pack as we all know

The class of 2017 is very strong, the american talent pool is just so large look at the Blue n White game the talent is there and will only get better imo.

the lack of fundamentals in todays game I think youll find extends to more than just Black players. i think its a worldwide issue to be honest but I am not suprised you wouldnt notice that

Rip255

Nice work man, only one prepared to step up to the challenge. Not sure what you meant by that last line lol, but I’ll let it slide. 

I’m taking the international team you listed though.

First time in history that would be the case in a side-by-side comparison. 

And lets be honest, if white guys are gonna cut it in the NBA they need to have better fundamentals. 

Cos white guys can’t jump. Haven’t you seen Billy Ho, Sidney Dean gave him 3 chances. 

Rip255

Nice work man, only one prepared to step up to the challenge. Not sure what you meant by that last line lol, but I’ll let it slide. 

I’m taking the international team you listed though.

First time in history that would be the case in a side-by-side comparison. 

And lets be honest, if white guys are gonna cut it in the NBA they need to have better fundamentals. 

Cos white guys can’t jump. Haven’t you seen Billy Ho, Sidney Dean gave him 3 chances. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login