This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar D7H7N 7 years ago.

• Author
    Hitster
    Participant

I just wondered what people’s thoughts are for the MIP Award this year.

Two guys who could be in the top 5 for MVP voting behind Harden and Westbrook sprang to mind – Isaiah Thomas and Giannis.

Isaiah is averaging 29ppg which would have put him in the lead for the scoring champion title in 4 of the last 6 seasons and has lead the Celtics to yet another play off birth. He is however 28 and may well have been considered for this award during his Kings days so voters may go for a younger guy. Ish is also a double all star and should be in one of the All NBA teams.

Giannis has become a franchise level player this season and has only just turned 22 years old! With work still be done on his point forward abilities and improvement in his mid to 3 point range shooting likely, the sort of number he could put up are scary. Minus Jabari Parker and Middleton for much of the season, Giannis has carried the Bucks to a current play off birth. 

He has improved his stats across virtually every column this season and is bringing his team results now. Also an All NBA team lock and likely to get into one of the Defensive Teams too. Giannis seems the logical choice for MIP unless voters decide to reward a more unsung guy given Giannis is an All Star, All NBA contender and will feature highish in MVP voting.

Harrison Barnes has had a good first year in Dallas averaging just under 20ppg but he has been on a losing team, taking much more shots than he did at GSW and especially with Dirk out. He has also won an NBA title so voters might not consider him a more deserving case than Giannis. This year might be more a marker, Get 23-25ppg next year and Dallas back in play offs to really be in mix.

I’ve also heard Otto Porter mentioned he may not have outstanding personal numbers but these have improved year on year and he has done a lot of unsung work for a successful Wizards team. Whilst not a headline grabbing choice, his contribution shouldn’t be over looked, may be more a top 3 contender than winner.

Wiggins and KAT have had good 3rd and 2nd seasons respectively and KATs stats compare well with Giannis. But again top picks should improve year on year and they play heavy minutes so figures may be slightly inflated. K-Love won MIP at Minny in a similar situation so neither can be discounted. 

Dennis Schroeder, Devin Booker and Rudy Gobert have also been mentioned in places.

he_gets_buckets
    Participant

I’d give it to Jokic if I had to pick someone. The last 2 months he’s quietly turned from above average starter to full fledged star- if this guy was in the big market and Porzingis was in Denver then everyone would be on the Jokic bandwagon. This guy has been a monster lately to the tune of 21 points, 12 boards and 6 assists over the past 2 months. One of the most skilled big man passers to come into the league in a very long time. He shoots, he passes, he can post, he can put it on the deck and he protects the rim. This guy is going to start staking his claim to the best big in the league title over the next 2 years just watch.

SubZero
      Participant

I don’t think MIP should go to a young guy like that. I feel like it should go to someone a little older who’s taken an unexpected step up in their game, like Isaiah or Harrison

jjj10man
        Participant

Agreed. Although Otto Porter improved much more than I expected, he was the 3rd pick in the 2013 draft. He shouldn’t get an award for "improving". 

D7H7N
      Participant

I wouldn’t give it to Jokic yet because I think he can improve a lot more next season. Giannis and Harrison Barnes I feel have reached their peak stats-wise.

Jokic is averaging 16/10/5 on the season. Probably close to 20/10/6 since the Nurkic trade? I think he can average 25/12/8 next season.

OhCanada-
    Participant

Derozan wont win over some if the mentioned players but he has imoroved a ton. His ppg wemt up by 4 points, rpg went up by 1 rebound 44%fg to 46%fg. Alot of what he has done does not show up in the stat sheet though. His defensive intensity has really improved and he is becoming a two way player. The fact that he is even playing defence is huge but now he is actually stopping people. On games where teams shutdown his driving game and force him to take contested 2’s he has balanced that by becoming a distributor and rebounder as well. In the past when you used to shut him down offensively he was out of the game completely. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login