This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar ARMenting11 10 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Velvet Hoop
    Participant

In other posts on here regarding the USMNT training camp being held in Vegas, I feel like a lot of people assume that our roster will be the same for 2014 and 2016, but if previous years hold true than the 2014 World Cup will largely be a tryout for the next generation of USMNT stars. Lets take a look at the 2010 World Championship team and the 2012 Olympic team.

2010:

DRose
    Billups
    Durant
    Westbrook
    Gay
    Iggy
    Granger
    Curry
    Gordon
    Love
    Odom
    Chandler

2012:

Lebron
    Durant
    Kobe
    Melo
    CP3
    Westbrook
    Harden
    Love
    Chandler
    Williams
    Iggy
    Davis

So we know that 5 players (Durant, Westbrook, Love, Chandler and Iggy) played for both, with essentially 2 new players to come out of nowhere so to speak, in Harden and Davis. Notice that those 5 that began their run with the USMNT were all really young stars ready to take the next step, for the most part. If they follow the same script here and select 5 or 6 guys to “audition” for the right to play on the 2016 team, my guess is that Davis, Kyrie, George, Drummond, Cousins, and Lillard are virtual locks to play in 2014, assuming they are injury free. Right behind that group you have guys like Conley, Wall, Beal, Barnes, Faried, SANDERS!, and then either a Klay/Parsons/Anderson/McDermott guy as the shooter. Personally I would love to see these younger guys get a chance to prove they are ready. We still have enough talent to win it, and it would be a great way for K and Colangelo to identify which players potentially fit best for 2016.

So 2014 would go something like this:

Kyrie
    Lillard
    George
    Davis
    Cousins

Conley
    Wall
    Beal
    Drummond
    SANDERS! – just sprained ankle though, not sure how that will play into this.

Faried
    Barnes
    Klay

My early guess at 2016:

CP3
    Kobe
    Durant
    Lebron
    Howard

Rose
    Curry
    Melo
    Love
    Cousins

Westbrook
    Davis

Rose, Curry and Westbrook are all toss ups because of injury concerns, as is Kobe at this stage of his career, and Dwight because well – he’s Dwight. So, the next 5 in the event those 5 can’t go, would be:

Kyrie
    George
    Drummond
    Lillard
    Beal

Definitely will be interesting to see how this plays out.

ovaeast14
    Participant

The Glaring omition of blake griffin is stunning. I know you guys hate him, but he was a lock on last years olympi team.

ovaeast14
    Participant

The Glaring omition of blake griffin is stunning. I know you guys hate him, but he was a lock on last years olympi team.

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

Mistakes happen for some of us… I guess you don’t know what that is like. Let me try and explain for you. See sometimes, things will escape your memory from time to time when compiling a list and a player or two will slip your mind and then later on you will be like “oh (facepalm), I forgot all about _____”

In this case you are correct. I was looking over the list of invitees from this year, the 2012 squad and the 2010 WC team, and since Blake was injured and pulled out early from the 2012 group, he wasn’t on any of those lists and he completely slipped my mind.

On that same note, I also failed to put Harden and Aldridge in the mix for the 2016 team, but I’m guessing since you didn’t have an aneurysm over those two, that their omission wasn’t as glaring or stunning to you.

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

Mistakes happen for some of us… I guess you don’t know what that is like. Let me try and explain for you. See sometimes, things will escape your memory from time to time when compiling a list and a player or two will slip your mind and then later on you will be like “oh (facepalm), I forgot all about _____”

In this case you are correct. I was looking over the list of invitees from this year, the 2012 squad and the 2010 WC team, and since Blake was injured and pulled out early from the 2012 group, he wasn’t on any of those lists and he completely slipped my mind.

On that same note, I also failed to put Harden and Aldridge in the mix for the 2016 team, but I’m guessing since you didn’t have an aneurysm over those two, that their omission wasn’t as glaring or stunning to you.

BlueLaces
    Participant

What injury concerns does Russell Westbrook have? Aside from getting hurt in the playoffs, he has played in every game in his career.

BlueLaces
    Participant

What injury concerns does Russell Westbrook have? Aside from getting hurt in the playoffs, he has played in every game in his career.

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

same with DRose. I feel like both will be healed but is it really worth the risk for them or their ownership groups? I say Presti will be against Russ participating.

Velvet Hoop
      Participant

same with DRose. I feel like both will be healed but is it really worth the risk for them or their ownership groups? I say Presti will be against Russ participating.

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I would put James Harden over Kobe on the 2016 team.

WinterSoldier
    Participant

I would put James Harden over Kobe on the 2016 team.

hoopscop
    Participant

2010 was a Situation where 5 guys from 2008 declined because of injury, new contracts and personal stuff. And at that Point Colangelo and CK told Kobe to go ahead with his surgery because they would assemble a new roster. It was a year before that Paul, James, Anthony, Howard and Bosh pledged to Play 2010 together. The first plan was to leave the roster intact minus Kidd, Redd, Prince and Boozer. basically to assemble a much stronger Team. This time there is no pressure to get all the best Players but yesterday JC told on national television he expect Durant to Play. There is no secret that Irving is highly regarded like Paul George, Anthony Davis and James Harden should make the roster. As for the friends CP, Carmelo and Lebron, they will be asked to Play and I see them going for it. As for the bigs, I see Aldridge, Howard or Lopez, Griffin and Davis.

So that is my projection
    for 2014

Chris Paul
    Kyrie Irving
    Stephen Curry
    James Harden
    Paul George
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Anthony Davis
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Dwight Howard

hoopscop
    Participant

2010 was a Situation where 5 guys from 2008 declined because of injury, new contracts and personal stuff. And at that Point Colangelo and CK told Kobe to go ahead with his surgery because they would assemble a new roster. It was a year before that Paul, James, Anthony, Howard and Bosh pledged to Play 2010 together. The first plan was to leave the roster intact minus Kidd, Redd, Prince and Boozer. basically to assemble a much stronger Team. This time there is no pressure to get all the best Players but yesterday JC told on national television he expect Durant to Play. There is no secret that Irving is highly regarded like Paul George, Anthony Davis and James Harden should make the roster. As for the friends CP, Carmelo and Lebron, they will be asked to Play and I see them going for it. As for the bigs, I see Aldridge, Howard or Lopez, Griffin and Davis.

So that is my projection
    for 2014

Chris Paul
    Kyrie Irving
    Stephen Curry
    James Harden
    Paul George
    Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Blake Griffin
    Anthony Davis
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Dwight Howard

Platypus
    Participant

I see more

Paul
    Rose
    Durant
    James
    Howard

Westbrook
    Harden battle between Harden / Curry
    George
    Melo
    Love
    Griffin
    Davis, I wanted to put Aldridge here but they need another shot blocker

Next at each area

Guard: Curry, really hard to leave off
    Forward: Chandler Parsons (my shocker pick) would be a great off the bench guy who is versatile and style fits the team
    Big: Aldridge

Platypus
    Participant

I see more

Paul
    Rose
    Durant
    James
    Howard

Westbrook
    Harden battle between Harden / Curry
    George
    Melo
    Love
    Griffin
    Davis, I wanted to put Aldridge here but they need another shot blocker

Next at each area

Guard: Curry, really hard to leave off
    Forward: Chandler Parsons (my shocker pick) would be a great off the bench guy who is versatile and style fits the team
    Big: Aldridge

Kinguy11
    Participant

With Durant and Love both confirmed their intent to play for the team in 2014 but Lebron’s team USA days may have come to a close if reports are true. With this means the configuration of Team USA will likely change greatly.

Obviously a major contingent of the team is made up of 2012 olympic members (7) but I also wanted some members from the recent Team USA training camp to make debuts (3, including Davis who was also an olympian). I also acknowledged the play of Curry and accepted that barring injury Dwight Howard would likely make the team. I also added Griffin, who missed out on 2012 due to injury.

Here’s my picks for 2014.

Starters:
    PG – Chris Paul
    SG – James Harden
    SF – Kevin Durant
    PF – Carmelo Anthony
    C – Dwight Howard
    Bench
    Russell Westbrook – PG
    Stephen Curry – PG
    Bradley Beal – SG
    Paul George – SF
    Blake Griffin – PF
    Anthony Davis – PF/C
    Kevin Love – PF/C

Injury Replacements
    Some guys who made the team have injury history so I’m just picking the next 3 guys who could step in as a replacement.
    PG: Damian Lillard
    Wing: Kawhi Leonard
    Big Man: Greg Monroe

Kinguy11
    Participant

With Durant and Love both confirmed their intent to play for the team in 2014 but Lebron’s team USA days may have come to a close if reports are true. With this means the configuration of Team USA will likely change greatly.

Obviously a major contingent of the team is made up of 2012 olympic members (7) but I also wanted some members from the recent Team USA training camp to make debuts (3, including Davis who was also an olympian). I also acknowledged the play of Curry and accepted that barring injury Dwight Howard would likely make the team. I also added Griffin, who missed out on 2012 due to injury.

Here’s my picks for 2014.

Starters:
    PG – Chris Paul
    SG – James Harden
    SF – Kevin Durant
    PF – Carmelo Anthony
    C – Dwight Howard
    Bench
    Russell Westbrook – PG
    Stephen Curry – PG
    Bradley Beal – SG
    Paul George – SF
    Blake Griffin – PF
    Anthony Davis – PF/C
    Kevin Love – PF/C

Injury Replacements
    Some guys who made the team have injury history so I’m just picking the next 3 guys who could step in as a replacement.
    PG: Damian Lillard
    Wing: Kawhi Leonard
    Big Man: Greg Monroe

ARMenting11
    Participant

PG: DRose, Westbrook, Lillard
    SG: Harden, Durant
    SF: Melo, Leonard, George
    PF: Davis, Love, Cousins
    C: Howard

ARMenting11
    Participant