2014 Steals

DipoTime
DipoTime's picture
2014 Steals

Who are some guys that could go second round or even undrafted that you feel could be solid contributors at the next level and why?

First guy I'm looking at is Lamar Patterson from Pitt. I feel like he has been vastly underrated as a player and a prospect for quite a while now. This is a guy that is listed by pretty much everybody as an undersized small forward, which has dropped him off many mocks. I, however, see a big, strong, wing. I don't think he is the type of player to get lost at either the two or the three. He has great vision for his size and position and good enough ball handling skills and an improved jumpshot which will allow him to play the 2. He also has the size, strength, and rebounding capapbilities to play the 3. When you are a role player off the bench like I think he will be, I think it is more of an asset than a liability to be a more versatile player that can play multiple positions. I think he can have a Jae Crowder like impact right away as a late second to undrafted rookie.

Another guy I have been watching really the last four years is Cleveland Melvin from DePaul. This is a guy that kind of burst onto the scene as a freshman and sophomore but seemed to hit a wall as far as development goes his junior year. Some may view his stall in development along with his suspension from school as some real negative setbacks, but I don't think they are really that bad. He was able to get some D-League experience at the end of the season, averaging 11 points and 4 rebounds a game in 21 minutes. He greatly improved his range and 3 point accuracy this season, while getting back to blocking shots down low at 1.6 per game. This, along with his solid length, athleticism, and ability to run and finish in the open floor, should allow him to potentially succeed as a solid stretch 4 off the bench. I don't suspect he has a great shot at being drafted, but already being in the D-League will help his chances at making a team come this summer.

AirMcLemore
AirMcLemore's picture
Cleanthony Early, he'll

Cleanthony Early, he'll probably be a first-round pick, but I consider late first rounders that become good starters steals, I think he can become just that. As for likely 2nd round guys I have my eyes on DeAndre Kane, he just looks like an NBA player. He's very polished and has a wide range of skills on the offensive end. He will be a huge steal in the 2nd round.

arambone
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

Rip255
Russdiculous

I think he'll be a 10 year pro due to his ability to score the basketball. Teams will love having that option off the bench.

arambone
Point guards seem to be

Point guards seem to be getting taller and stronger. Russ Waterbug will be able to run circles around many of them.

Espressoprodigy
Jordan Bachynski, Marshall

Jordan Bachynski, Marshall Henderson, Will sheejay, Bryce cotton....

are a couple players that could go to the nba after being undrafted.

HomerKang
Andre Dawkins, Jabari Brown,

Andre Dawkins, Jabari Brown, Russ Smith, Deandre Kane, Melvin Ejim, and CJ Fair, all listed in the second round, are prime examples of steals for this draft.

Conversely, James Young, Noah Vonleh, Dante Exum, and Tyler Ennis are prime examples of first round or lottery players that will be average players, at best, in the league.

And, players like Mitch McGary, Zach Lavine, Kyle Anderson, and Rodney Hood, all of whom I liked very much in their colleges, unfortunately will be busts in the league, I hate to say it.

koranprince@yah...
koranprince@yahoo.com's picture
I think imma go with Isaiah Austin

Last year averaged 8.3 rebounds but about a 1.7 blocks this year his rebounds dipped down to 5.5 a game but I believe that was a fluke his blocks per game doubled. He also took less shots this year but honestly I think he's gonna be a sure fire steal the nba is a whole different game look out for this kid

Rip255
Clint Capella

I think Clint Capella has a more American game than Euro game so I expect him to develop into a starting PF who can give 30 athletic minutes a night and hit the glass hard as well as other dirty work around the rim.

Some mocks have him in the lottery, whilst others in the second round so as to whether he's a "steal" or not will depend on where he gets drafted of course.

JoeWolf1
JoeWolf1's picture
Mitch McGary - Michigan's

Mitch McGary - Michigan's embattled bigman has the size and strength capable of playing both the 4 and 5, and questions will most certainly drop him to the 2nd round. I think Mitch can find a role rebounding the ball, and be a nice value pick in the 30's.

DeAndre Kane - Every year, only 10 or so 2nd round picks make a roster, and with Kane I think you get a firey guard who can play both positions, most likely, in the 40-60 range. I think Kane could be a major steal, when the majority of the last 20 picks rarely play more than 20 NBA games. I fully believe DeAndre will be playing minutes next season and beyond.

Dwight Powell - Dude is built to play an NBA role as a bench stretch 4, IMO. He's around 6'10'', a polished offensive player, who can both put the ball on the deck and stretch out 4's to beyond 20 feet. Don't expect much on the defensive end, aside from a little weak side shot blocking, but I think Powell could be a real steal as well.

RSS: Syndicate content