This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Sewok15 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    abrownii
    Participant

This draft has to be a hit.

With a possiblity of a combination of Embiid/ Parker/ Wiggins, + a high 10 pick, and multiple 2nd rounders. This is a turn around event for us.

In the past, the organization missed big time a few times.

In no order,

1. 1998 NBA Draft, Looking for some help for star player Allen Iverson. The Philadelphia 76ers select Larry Hughes with the 8th pick of the draft. Thus missing out on Dirk Nowitizki (9th), Paul Pierce (10th), Rashad Lewis (32th), Brad Miller (undrafted).

2. 1997 NBA Draft Philadelphia 76ers select Keith Van Horn with the 2nd Pick! REALLY KEITH VAN HORN! Pass up on Chauncey Billups (3rd) and Tracy McGrady (9th).

3. 2001 NBA Draft Philadelphia 76ers select Samuel Dalembert with the 26th pick. Even though this was a quality project pick at the time. Looking back makes me cringe in my dented couch. We passed on Jamaal Tinsley (27th), Tony Parker (28th), Gilbert Arenas (30th), then to top it off we took Alvin Jones with the 56th pick, and passed up on Carlos Arroyo, Andres Nocioni, Charlie Bell, Maurice Evans, and yes Jamario Moon.

4. 2002 weak draft class, but we took Philly took Jiri Welsch with the 16th. And Ultimately passed up on Tayshaun Prince (23th) , Nenad Kristic (24th) , Roger Mason Jr.(31th) , Dan Gadzuric (34th), Carlos Boozer (35th), Matt Barnes (46th), Luis Scola (56th).

While we can’t determine how these players would worked out in Philly, but hey Imagine The Answer and The Truth or AI and Dirk. Just saying, comment other draft mistakes by not only the Sixers but your favorite teams. Don’t mention easy one like Oden over Kevin Durant, or even Evan Turner. 

The Scare Crow Rises
    Participant

What would Kobe have done if we selected him #1 overall in 95? I feel like he would of sucked it up and played his part while we struggled those first few years…
    I feel like Kobe would have embraced playing with a Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitzki and the 76ers would have even more success than we did with AI…

The Scare Crow Rises
    Participant

What would Kobe have done if we selected him #1 overall in 95? I feel like he would of sucked it up and played his part while we struggled those first few years…
    I feel like Kobe would have embraced playing with a Tim Duncan or Dirk Nowitzki and the 76ers would have even more success than we did with AI…

mike_r232
    Participant

First off… sooooooo many Philly threads!  They’re certainly a team to watch in this upcoming draft.  Back to the topic.  They are in a great position at 3 and shouldn’t be ridiculed for passing on anyone this year as long as they stick to the big 3.  As far as the older drafts that you’re speaking about, they certainly had some misses, but some of these were completely unforseen.  Sure, in 98, someone like Pierce or Dirk was probably discussed in their draft room, but they would have been laughed out of the building had they chosen Rashard or Brad Miller at #8 overall.  Yes, those players were good, but, in general, people didn’t see them coming.  2002 was a horrible pick, but again, no chance they would have taken any of those guys that you mention from the second round… they would have been considered major reaches and someone would have lost their job.

abrownii
      Participant

I understand and agree with what you’re saying. The point I was trying to make was with the value in the picks looking back. From our standpoint now, we can look back and say Philly and everyone messed up by not drafting Rashad and Brad. Philly just happened to be the focal point of this dicussion. Now tell me looking back, Brad Miller or Rashad Lewis or Jiri Welsch. Hey, since the draft was so weak we could’ve grabbed both of them if we traded the picks right.

abrownii
      Participant

I understand and agree with what you’re saying. The point I was trying to make was with the value in the picks looking back. From our standpoint now, we can look back and say Philly and everyone messed up by not drafting Rashad and Brad. Philly just happened to be the focal point of this dicussion. Now tell me looking back, Brad Miller or Rashad Lewis or Jiri Welsch. Hey, since the draft was so weak we could’ve grabbed both of them if we traded the picks right.

mike_r232
    Participant

First off… sooooooo many Philly threads!  They’re certainly a team to watch in this upcoming draft.  Back to the topic.  They are in a great position at 3 and shouldn’t be ridiculed for passing on anyone this year as long as they stick to the big 3.  As far as the older drafts that you’re speaking about, they certainly had some misses, but some of these were completely unforseen.  Sure, in 98, someone like Pierce or Dirk was probably discussed in their draft room, but they would have been laughed out of the building had they chosen Rashard or Brad Miller at #8 overall.  Yes, those players were good, but, in general, people didn’t see them coming.  2002 was a horrible pick, but again, no chance they would have taken any of those guys that you mention from the second round… they would have been considered major reaches and someone would have lost their job.

King Calucha
    Participant

We passed on Jamaal Tinsley (27th), Tony Parker (28th), Gilbert Arenas (30th), then to top it off we took Alvin Jones with the 56th pick, and passed up on Carlos Arroyo, Andres Nocioni, Charlie Bell, Maurice Evans, and yes Jamario Moon."

So you cringe about a late 1st pick eventhough 26 teams passed on Tinsley?

And yeah… we are all pissed that the 76ers didn’t take Jamario Moon (sarcasm alert).

King Calucha
    Participant

We passed on Jamaal Tinsley (27th), Tony Parker (28th), Gilbert Arenas (30th), then to top it off we took Alvin Jones with the 56th pick, and passed up on Carlos Arroyo, Andres Nocioni, Charlie Bell, Maurice Evans, and yes Jamario Moon."

So you cringe about a late 1st pick eventhough 26 teams passed on Tinsley?

And yeah… we are all pissed that the 76ers didn’t take Jamario Moon (sarcasm alert).

MattP31
    Participant

Tough to knock 1997. Van Horn was easily the #2 guy that year. Couldn’t pass him up even though he didn’t want to play for them. Also Billups was looking to be a bust early in his career- he played for 3 different teams in his first two years

MattP31
    Participant

Tough to knock 1997. Van Horn was easily the #2 guy that year. Couldn’t pass him up even though he didn’t want to play for them. Also Billups was looking to be a bust early in his career- he played for 3 different teams in his first two years

Sewok15
    Participant

I can’t belive the Sixers passed on Dan Gadzuric and Nenad Kristic. I still lose sleep over it.

The only real complaint I have was when they took Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce. They went with potential over skill and it backfired but the year before they went with skill over potential picking KVH (over say T-Mac) and that didn’t work out either. The draft is far from an exact science as we all know so looking back is always fun but you can’t hold it against the team in most cases. Picking Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce is like the equivalent of taking Zach LaVine over Jabari Parker. Now most of us think Parker will certainly be the better pro but maybe in 5-10 years that won’t be the case.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Sewok15
    Participant

I can’t belive the Sixers passed on Dan Gadzuric and Nenad Kristic. I still lose sleep over it.

The only real complaint I have was when they took Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce. They went with potential over skill and it backfired but the year before they went with skill over potential picking KVH (over say T-Mac) and that didn’t work out either. The draft is far from an exact science as we all know so looking back is always fun but you can’t hold it against the team in most cases. Picking Larry Hughes over Paul Pierce is like the equivalent of taking Zach LaVine over Jabari Parker. Now most of us think Parker will certainly be the better pro but maybe in 5-10 years that won’t be the case.

Hindsight is 20/20.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login