This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 10 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    qDizzle32
    Participant

Which foreign players would you like to see represent the World Team in this year’s Nike Hoop Summit? The rule is always a selected 10-11 international players 19 years of age or younger. With the game being played in April, that most likely means any foreign player born in May of 1994 or after would be eligible to play. Players from last years game who will also be eligible this year are Dante Exum, Mouhammadou Jaiteh, Karl Towns and Gabriel Deck. Quite a few players have played in more than one game such as Andrew Wiggins, Dario Saric and how Karl Towns played last year as a high school junior. These games have helped players raise their draft stock in recent years such as Bismack Biyombo and Dennis Schroeder, so if Exum does declare which is starting to look more likely, he should definitely be invited to play again. Mario Hezonja was originally going to play in last year’s game but pulled out at the last minute. Would definitely love to watch him play this year to see how good he really is since he’s been riding the bench for FC Barcelona this year. I’m sure Karl Towns will be invited again since he was last year as a junior and also sure Trey Lyles will be invited as well. Even though Towns and Lyles are both Americans, they have already represented the Dominican Republic and Canada in International Competition. It would be awesome to get to watch Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk who was born in 1997 but there have been other 17 year old players at the time who have played in this game such as Andrew Wiggins and Dario Saric. Domantas Sabonis from Lithuania would get to play in his birthplace of Portland where his father starred during his NBA career and would sound like an accurate candidate with him being born in 1996 like most high school seniors. Australian phenom Ben Simmons would be a great candidate to play in this game as probably the best small forward the World Team could possibly use. Illmaine Diop was a surprise to not be invited for last year’s game but he would be a possible candidate although I’m not sure if they would want a frontcourt with Towns, Lyles, Sabonis, Jaiteh and Diop. But it all depends on who gets invited and who wants to play. What other players deserve to get invited to play in this year’s game? Would love to watch a World Team with Exum, Hezonja, Towns, Lyles, Sabonis, Simmons and Mykhailiuk and give USA some competition in order to win their first Hoop Summit since 2011.

qDizzle32
    Participant

Like I said, I’m not sure if they would want a very loaded frontcourt but it all depends on who gets invited and accepts, although last year’s frontcourt had Embiid, Jean-Charles, Towns, Jaiteh and Deck. One more guy who they could throw in would be Thon Maker the current #1 player from the Class of 2016. He is 1997 born and although he is considered a Sophomore, Andrew Wiggins played in the 2012 game as a Sophomore (Prior to his reclassification). Maker was born in Sudan but raised in Austrailia. Been hearing about Thon Maker for almost three years now and would finally get a chance to watch him play live at a very high level of competition. 

qDizzle32
    Participant

Like I said, I’m not sure if they would want a very loaded frontcourt but it all depends on who gets invited and accepts, although last year’s frontcourt had Embiid, Jean-Charles, Towns, Jaiteh and Deck. One more guy who they could throw in would be Thon Maker the current #1 player from the Class of 2016. He is 1997 born and although he is considered a Sophomore, Andrew Wiggins played in the 2012 game as a Sophomore (Prior to his reclassification). Maker was born in Sudan but raised in Austrailia. Been hearing about Thon Maker for almost three years now and would finally get a chance to watch him play live at a very high level of competition. 

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I somehow doubt all of our favorite International draft prospects are going to be in it, still should be a solid group. Will be incredibly difficult to top last years squad, that was stacked with talent. The squad you have listed is as well, for sure, just YOUNG talent. Think that last years group was awesome due to the fact that they had some grown @ss pro’s. Jean-Charles, Karasev and Schroeder, all were incredibly vital, helped that they were 19 rather than 17 or 18.

My guess is that Exum skips this one. He played really well in the game last year, had some nice practices and showed what he was all about. His stock is not going to get higher playing in this game, as cool as it would be to see him be competitive and do it, not much of a point. We have had two underclassmen in a row play for the International team, both being the youngest guy on the roster. Wiggins in 2012, Towns in 2013, both born in 1995. While it is possible to have ONE 1997 born kid on the International’s this year, have a hard time seeing two make it for 2014.

Don’t see Deck coming back, Jaiteh probably not either. Think they saw what they needed to see and while it would be cool to see Jaiteh hit people in the post again, their is other talent out there. Towns a year later, now that is interesting. Fully expect him to be back again. Trey Lyles was invited last year and did not attend due to injury, so guessing if he is alright, also making the trip. Seeing UK’s next freshman front court in action should be excellent, both are skilled, neither overly athletic. Still, they have strength and skill to keep up with whoever they go up against.

Beyond those two, here is my guess at a possible roster:

C [Player: Karl Towns] (Dominican Republic), [Player: Jusuf Nurkic] (Bosnia & Herzegovina)

PF [Player: Trey Lyles] (Canada), [Player: Kristaps Porzingis] (Latvia), [Player: Ben Simmons] (Australia)

SF [Player: Damien Inglis] (France), [Player: Edvinas Seskus] (Lithuania), [Player: Jonah Bolden] (Australia)

SG [Player: Brandone Francis] (Dominican Republic), [Player: Kenan Sipahi] (Turkey)

PG [Player: Sidy Ndir] (Senegal), [Player: Mehdy Ngouama] (France)

Truly, your idea is probably as good as mine, just sort of going off history as of late. Part of these teams being so competitive is them being a tad more "experienced". Even so, like that much better than the USA running away with a route going up against guys who have not had that extra time to grow into their bodies. That is why I am not so sure about Thon or Sviatoslav being on the team (YET! I think both are obvious candidates for next year and the year beyond that). Simmons actually would technically be a HS Senior (a younger one) if he went by the general September 1, 1995-August 31, 1996 timeline most people in the US go by.

The reason I left off [Player: Mario Hezonja] is due to his actually playing for Barcelona now. He didn’t make it last year due to "injury", yet played during the time he would have been in Portland. A lot of these guys are indeed on pro teams and unless they are either REALLY interested in entering the draft or making a name for themselves, most teams like having them on the roster. Ricky Rubio, Jonas Valanciunas and Giannis Antetokounmpo never made it due to this. Also was told by someone last year that Ilimane Diop’s team is particularly hardcore when it comes to letting guys leave the club.

Also do believe they will try to hit up a prospect from either South America or Asia, or both. So, will give a list of a few more candidates I see as possibilities:

• PF [Player: Bruno Caboclo] (Brazil): Won Camp MVP at 2013 Basketball Without Borders Americas
    • PF/C [Player: Domantas Sabonis] (Lithuania, actually born in Portland! Hope he makes it, plus his dad comes back to watch. Never stood next to Sabas, would likely be the tallest guy in a gym full of giants)
    • C [Player: Nikola Milutinov] (Serbia)
    • C [Player: Anas Osama Mahmoud] (Egypt, plays with Sidy Ndir at West Oaks, heard good things)
    • PF [Player: Clint Capela] (Switzerland)
    • PF [Player: Dimitrios Agravanis] (Greece)
    • PG [Player: Dominik Mavra] (Croatia)
    • C [Player: Guillermo Hernangomez] (Spain)
    • SF [Player: Jan Niklas Wimberg] (Germany)
    • PF [Player: Daniel Bordignon Barbieri] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: Marius Grigonis] (Lithuania)
    • PF [Player: Michal Cekovsky] (Slovak Republic)
    • PG/SG [Player: Mikhail Kulagin] (Russia)
    • PF/C [Player: Rasmus Larsen] (Denmark)
    • C [Player: Zhou Qi] (China)
    • PF [Player: Moataz Hosny] (Egypt)
    • SF/PF [Player: Michael Nzei] (Nigeria)
    • SF/PF [Player: Pape Diatta] (Senegal)
    • SF/PF [Player: Keanu Pinder] (Australia)
    • PF [Player: Lucas Dias Silva] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: Reuben Te Rangi] (New Zealand)
    • PF [Player: Kerem Kanter] (Turkey, yep he is Enes’ brother)
    • PF [Player: Rokas Gustys] (Lithuania)
    • SG/SF [Player: Shang Gao] (China)
    • PF [Player: Wesley Silva] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: James Birsen] (Turkey)
    • SF/PF [Player: Aleksandar Vezenkov] (Bulgaria)
    • SF [Player: Okben Ulubay] (Turkey)
    • PG [Player: Chris Tang] ("The Next Jeremy Lin", he is playing at Canarias Basketball Academy to my knowledge)
    • C [Player: Georgios Diamantakos] (Greece)
    • PG [Player: Matic Rebic] (Slovenia)
    • SG [Player: Mo Soluade] (England)
    • PG [Player: Andrej Magdevski] (Macedonia)
    • PF/C [Player: Nikola Jokic] (Serbia)
    • SF [Player: Marc Garcia] (Spain)
    • PG [Player: Lourawls Nairn] (Bahamas, Michigan State commit)
    • PF/C [Player: Gyorgy Goloman] (Hungary, UCLA commit)
    • PF/C [Player: Jack Salt] (New Zealand, Virginia commit)
    • PF [Player: Abdul Malik Abu] (Nigeria, pretty sure born in the US, though played in Nike Global Challenge for Africa, NC State commit)
    • C [Player: Matz Stockman] (Norway, Louisville commit)
    • C [Player: Shaquille Doorson] (Holland, Pitt commit)
    • PF [Player: Angel Delgado] (Dominican Republic, Seton Hall commit)
    • C [Player: Paschal Chukwu] (Nigeria, Providence commit)
    • SG/SF [Player: Therence Mayimba] (Gabon, George Mason commit)

Well, those are some possibilities, I am sure I left some people out, just some international players aged around the Hoop Summit who could be in the database of possibilities (probably more who aren’t than that are, you do have to be pretty damn good to make it). Finally, will give my Canadian people some chances to see who could join Trey on the team. Do not think it is a sure thing Canada gets two, though here are some possible candidates:

• SF [Player: Montaque Gill Caesar] (Think there is a good chance he reclassifies back to 2014 and also think he is the best chance at getting a 2nd Canuck)
    • PF [Player: Chris Egi] (Harvard commit)
    • SF [Player: Marial Shayok] (Marquette commit)
    • PG [Player: Kevin Zabo] (San Diego St. commit)
    • PF [Player: Tristan Etienne] (Washington commit)
    • PF [Player: Ray Kasongo] (Oregon commit)
    • C [Player: Jabari Craig] (USC commit)
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I somehow doubt all of our favorite International draft prospects are going to be in it, still should be a solid group. Will be incredibly difficult to top last years squad, that was stacked with talent. The squad you have listed is as well, for sure, just YOUNG talent. Think that last years group was awesome due to the fact that they had some grown @ss pro’s. Jean-Charles, Karasev and Schroeder, all were incredibly vital, helped that they were 19 rather than 17 or 18.

My guess is that Exum skips this one. He played really well in the game last year, had some nice practices and showed what he was all about. His stock is not going to get higher playing in this game, as cool as it would be to see him be competitive and do it, not much of a point. We have had two underclassmen in a row play for the International team, both being the youngest guy on the roster. Wiggins in 2012, Towns in 2013, both born in 1995. While it is possible to have ONE 1997 born kid on the International’s this year, have a hard time seeing two make it for 2014.

Don’t see Deck coming back, Jaiteh probably not either. Think they saw what they needed to see and while it would be cool to see Jaiteh hit people in the post again, their is other talent out there. Towns a year later, now that is interesting. Fully expect him to be back again. Trey Lyles was invited last year and did not attend due to injury, so guessing if he is alright, also making the trip. Seeing UK’s next freshman front court in action should be excellent, both are skilled, neither overly athletic. Still, they have strength and skill to keep up with whoever they go up against.

Beyond those two, here is my guess at a possible roster:

C [Player: Karl Towns] (Dominican Republic), [Player: Jusuf Nurkic] (Bosnia & Herzegovina)

PF [Player: Trey Lyles] (Canada), [Player: Kristaps Porzingis] (Latvia), [Player: Ben Simmons] (Australia)

SF [Player: Damien Inglis] (France), [Player: Edvinas Seskus] (Lithuania), [Player: Jonah Bolden] (Australia)

SG [Player: Brandone Francis] (Dominican Republic), [Player: Kenan Sipahi] (Turkey)

PG [Player: Sidy Ndir] (Senegal), [Player: Mehdy Ngouama] (France)

Truly, your idea is probably as good as mine, just sort of going off history as of late. Part of these teams being so competitive is them being a tad more "experienced". Even so, like that much better than the USA running away with a route going up against guys who have not had that extra time to grow into their bodies. That is why I am not so sure about Thon or Sviatoslav being on the team (YET! I think both are obvious candidates for next year and the year beyond that). Simmons actually would technically be a HS Senior (a younger one) if he went by the general September 1, 1995-August 31, 1996 timeline most people in the US go by.

The reason I left off [Player: Mario Hezonja] is due to his actually playing for Barcelona now. He didn’t make it last year due to "injury", yet played during the time he would have been in Portland. A lot of these guys are indeed on pro teams and unless they are either REALLY interested in entering the draft or making a name for themselves, most teams like having them on the roster. Ricky Rubio, Jonas Valanciunas and Giannis Antetokounmpo never made it due to this. Also was told by someone last year that Ilimane Diop’s team is particularly hardcore when it comes to letting guys leave the club.

Also do believe they will try to hit up a prospect from either South America or Asia, or both. So, will give a list of a few more candidates I see as possibilities:

• PF [Player: Bruno Caboclo] (Brazil): Won Camp MVP at 2013 Basketball Without Borders Americas
    • PF/C [Player: Domantas Sabonis] (Lithuania, actually born in Portland! Hope he makes it, plus his dad comes back to watch. Never stood next to Sabas, would likely be the tallest guy in a gym full of giants)
    • C [Player: Nikola Milutinov] (Serbia)
    • C [Player: Anas Osama Mahmoud] (Egypt, plays with Sidy Ndir at West Oaks, heard good things)
    • PF [Player: Clint Capela] (Switzerland)
    • PF [Player: Dimitrios Agravanis] (Greece)
    • PG [Player: Dominik Mavra] (Croatia)
    • C [Player: Guillermo Hernangomez] (Spain)
    • SF [Player: Jan Niklas Wimberg] (Germany)
    • PF [Player: Daniel Bordignon Barbieri] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: Marius Grigonis] (Lithuania)
    • PF [Player: Michal Cekovsky] (Slovak Republic)
    • PG/SG [Player: Mikhail Kulagin] (Russia)
    • PF/C [Player: Rasmus Larsen] (Denmark)
    • C [Player: Zhou Qi] (China)
    • PF [Player: Moataz Hosny] (Egypt)
    • SF/PF [Player: Michael Nzei] (Nigeria)
    • SF/PF [Player: Pape Diatta] (Senegal)
    • SF/PF [Player: Keanu Pinder] (Australia)
    • PF [Player: Lucas Dias Silva] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: Reuben Te Rangi] (New Zealand)
    • PF [Player: Kerem Kanter] (Turkey, yep he is Enes’ brother)
    • PF [Player: Rokas Gustys] (Lithuania)
    • SG/SF [Player: Shang Gao] (China)
    • PF [Player: Wesley Silva] (Brazil)
    • SF [Player: James Birsen] (Turkey)
    • SF/PF [Player: Aleksandar Vezenkov] (Bulgaria)
    • SF [Player: Okben Ulubay] (Turkey)
    • PG [Player: Chris Tang] ("The Next Jeremy Lin", he is playing at Canarias Basketball Academy to my knowledge)
    • C [Player: Georgios Diamantakos] (Greece)
    • PG [Player: Matic Rebic] (Slovenia)
    • SG [Player: Mo Soluade] (England)
    • PG [Player: Andrej Magdevski] (Macedonia)
    • PF/C [Player: Nikola Jokic] (Serbia)
    • SF [Player: Marc Garcia] (Spain)
    • PG [Player: Lourawls Nairn] (Bahamas, Michigan State commit)
    • PF/C [Player: Gyorgy Goloman] (Hungary, UCLA commit)
    • PF/C [Player: Jack Salt] (New Zealand, Virginia commit)
    • PF [Player: Abdul Malik Abu] (Nigeria, pretty sure born in the US, though played in Nike Global Challenge for Africa, NC State commit)
    • C [Player: Matz Stockman] (Norway, Louisville commit)
    • C [Player: Shaquille Doorson] (Holland, Pitt commit)
    • PF [Player: Angel Delgado] (Dominican Republic, Seton Hall commit)
    • C [Player: Paschal Chukwu] (Nigeria, Providence commit)
    • SG/SF [Player: Therence Mayimba] (Gabon, George Mason commit)

Well, those are some possibilities, I am sure I left some people out, just some international players aged around the Hoop Summit who could be in the database of possibilities (probably more who aren’t than that are, you do have to be pretty damn good to make it). Finally, will give my Canadian people some chances to see who could join Trey on the team. Do not think it is a sure thing Canada gets two, though here are some possible candidates:

• SF [Player: Montaque Gill Caesar] (Think there is a good chance he reclassifies back to 2014 and also think he is the best chance at getting a 2nd Canuck)
    • PF [Player: Chris Egi] (Harvard commit)
    • SF [Player: Marial Shayok] (Marquette commit)
    • PG [Player: Kevin Zabo] (San Diego St. commit)
    • PF [Player: Tristan Etienne] (Washington commit)
    • PF [Player: Ray Kasongo] (Oregon commit)
    • C [Player: Jabari Craig] (USC commit)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login