This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar usfballer 11 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    tbp82
    Participant

I’ve noticed on the mock draft here that the 2014 draft is lacking big men. I know that Wiggins and Parker are considered to be two big time prospects but as history has shown us the NBA Draft is dominated by PFs and Cs as the top picks and every now and then a stud Point Guard goes #1. I keep reading that 2014 is considered a strong draft class but I don’t see any size or point guards there. I know guys like Julis Randle or Aaron Gordon could end up being 6’9 or 6’10 and there is also Ilmane Diop as a big man and if any of those 3 play well will have the inside track on being top 5 picks but are there any big men who might be available in 2014  that people are sleeping on?

Anton123
    Participant

Well the 2013 mock draft is full of them, at least some, like maybe Steven Adams, will probably stay

But that doesn’t really matter, it’s much about the overall talent, I mean it’s much better to be full of great SFs than average Cs or PGs, right?

tbp82
    Participant

I don’t think so not in terms of NBA Gms. I could see a GM reaching for an average 6’10-7’0 over a great wing with ease. That is why a player like Diop has a great chance to move up over the next year. The Okafor kid could as well.

lalaila
    Participant

you can say what you want but 2012 and 2014 looks good real good, and 2013 in between is so sooo weak..

i mean even about size Randle already measured 6’10 at LeBron James camp and 240lbs..Chris Walker 6’9 6’10 and really long arms, than that african kid who played for Spain, Isiaiah Austin probably would stay and have a great sophmore compaign, also already mentioned Adams… 

Siggy
    Participant

The HS class of 2013 would conclude a 3 yr run of mediocre PG classes. There are some high end ones, like Andrew Harrison and if guys like Purvis and Marcus Smart can make progress in their transition towards the point, that would help, but otherwise some other less projectable PGs will have to really show out. Guys like Yogi Ferrell will have to really stand out in order to climb up draft boards.  I think he has the game to do it, but his size will always be a question mark.

Luckily, the NBA PG position is so deep that it doesnt matter for most teams. how many teams are actually looking for a PG?

The big men are a different story. The lower ceiling bigs seem to be all either in poor shape or too short. The higher ceiling bigs seem to be either too raw or are super skinny with poor builds.

Taylor Gang Mike
    Participant

Lacking Pg’s?????? Kasey Hill, Zach Levine, Tyler Ennis, Rysheed Jordan, and The Harrisons… Not lacking at alll

Siggy
      Participant

Now which of those guys are one and done candidates? Andrew and maybe Kasey Hill,  and that’s a big maybe.

Kasey needs a lot of work on his body and his jumper.

usfballer
    Participant

Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Ricky Rubio, Jeff Teague, kemba Walker, Mike Conley, Brandin Knight and Jeremy Lin are all starters in the league right now. That doesn’t include the likes of Damian Lillard, Eric Bledsoe, Isaiah Thomas, Austin Rivers, Mario Chalmers who either look like they will be quality starters or have been starters already in the league. There are more than enough young point guards out there, so unless an Andrew Harrison or another Kyrie Irving shows up, there wouldn’t be much room in the lottery for them to be taken anyway. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login