The 2014 NBA Draft Bill Simmons WHOA! Award

Nick Young
Nick Young's picture
The 2014 NBA Draft Bill Simmons WHOA! Award

I have been watching older drafts on Youtube for the last couple of weeks to get myself hyped for the upcoming Draft. Whenever I watch the 2013 draft, the no. 1 selection of Anthony Bennett by the Cavaliers (in one of their many, many draft f*ck-ups) and the reaction by Grantland's Bill Simmons always crack me up.

Because Cleveland has the top pick this year as well, which they will probably mess up, I started wondering. Which player in the 2014 draft class has the most potential to make Bill Simmons say WHOA! by getting picked first overall by the Cavs. Since it's Cleveland, all bets are off. You can pick anyone you want, from Sim Bhullar or PJ Hairston to the immortal Bogdan Bogdanovich. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if the Cavaliers selected Anthony Bennett again. We should just call it the Annual Cleveland Screw-up Award, since that would make a lot more sense.

Anyway, who do you guys think will win the 2014 NBA Draft Bill Simmons WHOA! Award? I'm putting my money on Jusuf Nurkic, because Joel Embiid got injured and Nurkic is the next best Center available on the Mock Draft, and I don't think Cleveland is smart enough to firuge out he is supposed to go 20 picks later...

I'm looking forward to your ideas.

- Nick Young, the GOAT.

CavsFan07
Such a quality thread all

Such a quality thread all around.

FearTheStache
FearTheStache's picture
The Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cleveland Cavaliers select Andrew Wiggins overall. With the Milwaukee Bucks on the clock, the background screen suddenly switches to the Celtics' logo; they have traded up. "I think this is it, Jalen. Concede for Embiid. The Celtics are getting their man! This might be the best moment of my life!" Bill Simmons exclaims, Adam Silver walks on the stage. "The Milwaukee Bucks have traded their pick to the Boston Celtics," Silver announces. Simmons orgasmically decrees, "That's it! Oh yeah! Gotta be Emdiid!" Silver reads his card, "With the second overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics select...Len Bias." Bill Simmons screams, "What?! Len Bias?!" Silver takes his right hand and moves it down the back of his head, grabbing the tassle of a zipper. Pulling his hand back up, the supposed face of Adam Silver is unzippered, revealing the live and healthy, unaged visage of Len Bias. After a moment of silence, he opens his mouth, "I'm back motherf***ers." Bill Simmons screams, "WHOA! This is like the Sixth Sense of NBA Drafts! Only Larry Bird could manage to do this! WHOA!"

Memphis Madness
Doug McDermott at 6 to

Doug McDermott at 6 to Boston.

Ainge hopes he is getting the next Larry Bird.

that would make BS go "Whoaa!!!"

NBAProspectFan1
Magic

Magic are most likely team to do this. Could see them randomly grabbing a guy like Zach LaVine or Elfrid Payton.

Memphis Madness
This might be it: Cavs take

This might be it:

Cavs take Dante Exum at 1, and trade TT, Dion Waiters, Andy V, Dellavadova, 33, and a future first round pick to Minnesota for Kevin Love.

Seconds later, LeBron heads back to Cleveland.

Cavs starting five: Kyrie Irving, Dante Exum, LeBron James, and Tyler Zeller with Anthony Bennett as a sixth man.

That would make Bill Simmons go "Double Whoaa!!!"

Bajeebz
Bajeebz's picture
Great Idea

I wrote an elaborate screen play scene, but decided it was a bit over the top, so I'll just share my answer. If the Cavs take Dante Exum with the first pick, then Simmons will definitely have an on air conniption

Great thread.

TenSecondTom
Either Exum getting picked

Either Exum getting picked over Wiggins or Parker by Milwaukee or Dario Saric getting his wish and being selected by Boston or LA 6 or 7. That would certainly be Bill Simmons' "WOAH" moment of the draft if either were to occur. Highly unlikely, but just a thought.

Memphis Madness
If they want to trade

If they want to trade Waiters, then Exum is the guy.

Bill Simmons' trade from his podcast was 1 and Waiters to Philly for 3 and 10. Then I guess Cleveland takes Exum or they go with Embiid.

Hey, Doug McDermott at 6 might actually make sense. If they don't get Love, they have Rondo and Avery Bradley in the backcourt with a front court rotation of Jeff Green, Sully, Olynyk, McDermott, and Faverani. Then they have that pick at 17.

Hmm, maybe they trade Jeff Green back to OKC along with Phil Pressey plus a future second round pick for K Perk and 21. Jeff Green gives OKC a fourth option. Just give Perk's minutes to Steven Adams and Thabeet. Then the Celtics can get two solid guys at 17 and 21, and I actually think the Celtics can use Perkins inside.

mookie
mookie's picture
??

Is he the real Swaggy P?

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
They have the same

They have the same conscience, none

RSS: Syndicate content