2014 NBA Draft

LA12
2014 NBA Draft

I don't know if any of you have noticed yet, but this draft seems to be the first in a long time where a wing player gets drafted first overall.

The last time a wing player was taken first overall was Lebron James, but remember that he was drafted as a point guard (Check the sites draft archives, even they had him listed as a point). So to find the last player to be drafted as a wing player, you'd have to go back a long time in draft history to maybe the 1996 draft with Iverson? If you consider Iverson to have been drafted as a point, then you go back even more, all the way to 1994 when Glenn Robinson went first overall.

That's 20 years since the last time a wing player was taken! Even if you count Lebron, that's 11 years! Even if you counted Iverson, that's still 18! Now this year, two of the top candidates for the number one pick happen to be small forwards, and one almost seems like a lock to go first without even playing a single college game. What do you guys think explains the trend of wing players not going first overall? Is it because teams have more needs elsewhere, or do you think it's just a coincidence that no wing player showed enough to warrant a first overall pick for so long?

he_gets_buckets
I dont know who on earth

I dont know who on earth thought of Allen Iverson as a wing

LA12
A wing as in either a

A wing as in either a shooting guard or a small forward, and I'm sure a lot of people considered him a shooting guard..

Anton123
Anton123's picture
If Anthony Bennett makes the

If Anthony Bennett makes the transition does he count?

@activehustle
@activehustle's picture
You make no sense, Bron was

You make no sense, Bron was drafted as a wing, started as a wing player...stop it..

NeggedAlterEgos...
He was drafted as a point

He was drafted as a point

Toronto16
Toronto16's picture
Actually, Cleveland did play

Actually, Cleveland did play Lebron at point his first season...

LA12
Damn, everyone attacking me

Damn, everyone attacking me on the Lebron thing. Read up, he was drafted a point. Like I said, even this site had him listed as a point guard. He's asmall forward now, times change

Lipstick
Lipstick's picture
Or is he power forward? :O

Or is he power forward? :O

Memphis Madness
I think Doug Collins was the

I think Doug Collins was the last big 2 guard to go number one.

AwardedBaller
AwardedBaller's picture
Shouting "look it up" back in

Shouting "look it up" back in forth is proving nothing, just show the information yourself.

According to our very own site, LeBron James was drafted as a Point Guard primarily.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030623185831/http://nbadraft.net/

Allen Iverson was drafted as a Point Guard.

So technically, the last wing could be Anthony Bennett or Glenn Robinson, depending how you see it.

Everywhere has Bennett listed simply at "F" so the last TRUE wing would be Glenn Robinson.

Now to his question, it seems to me the wing Position is underlooked, Top 3 players in the league are wings and 3 or 4 out of 5 of the greatest players of all time were all wings.

Shabazz could've been the next #1 wing but he literally ate, talked and played his way out of the #1 pick.

LA12
I remember reading an

I remember reading an interview with Bazz before the college season started about the potential of him being the first wing to go number one in a long time, and he said that's a huge goal of his and he was working hard on his game to get there. He definitely didn't play up to that potential

RSS: Syndicate content