This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Lotto Stud 9 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    TONYDABOSS77
    Participant

These next two drafts seem to have A LOT of talent in them, especially down low (Embiid, Randle, Towns, Alexander, Turner, Vonleh, Gordon, Marcus Lee, Saric, Okafor). Who are some perimeter guys that you’re intrigued by? Here are a few from me.

**4 Comparisons: 1st one is at worst, 2nd one is most realistic, 3rd one is in a good situation, 4th is absolute ceiling for me.**

Emmanuel Mudiay—I originally had Tyus Jones as the #1 PG in this class because I didn’t watch a lot of him so I didn’t really know whether or not Mudiay was the real deal or if he was like Andrew Harrison. After watching him on the all star circuit & in the Hoops Summit, it made me want to dig a bit deeper & after watching a lot more of him, I feel like its not even close. He has the size to be one of the biggest PGs (6’5 200) with rare explosiveness & craftiness with the ball. His athleticism isn’t like a Westbrook though, as Westbrook is leaner. He has a Baron Davis feel to him for me. He has that stocky frame that Davis & Harden both have. He’s a streaky shooter who can be either on fire or cold from deep. Not really a midrange guy either & he takes a bit too long to get his shot off. Sometimes he play’s too fast though & sometimes dribbles too much, I think Larry Brown will help him out a lot in that area. What really impresses me about him is that unlike many young guys, he seems comfortable going left or right. Also a really good rebounder for a guard. Looks to have serious defensive potential, although he sometimes loses focus on that end.

Comparison: Tony Wroten/Tyreke Evans/Baron Davis/Dwyane Wade

Andrew Wiggins—Anybody that has followed my posts can see that I believe Andrew Wiggins will be, at the worst, a VERY nice glue guy. A good shooter, defender, crazy athlete that can score in spurts. Thats if he never gets any better. I caught just about every Kansas game & my one knock on him is, like others, his mind. He came up big in every major game they played except for their tournament elimination game & one of the OK State games. It seems the big games make him dig in & play, but what will he do in March & his team has tho play the Pistons on the road? Thats my only question. When he jumper’s on, there’s no containing him. Something that impresses me a lot about Wiggins is that he understands how to get easy baskets to get himself going (backdoor lobs, cutting to the basket, put back dunks, open 3s, transition). Contrary to popular belief, he shows NBA moves. He’s 6’8 & moves like Westbrook. If he fills out & continues to develop his floor game, the sky’s the limit.

Comparison: Darius Miles (pre injury)/Tracy McGrady (last year in Toronto)/Scottie Pippen/Tracy McGrady

Jabari Parker—Yes, his defense is horrible, he’s not as athletic as you would like, he’s a black hole at times, and he does little without the ball. Still, guys that can create their own shots will forever be able to play & win games for you in this league. He’s bigger than most wings at 6’8 240. He might have the most polished offensive game since Durant. He has a box game, has shown he can create his own shot, has the 1 dribble pull up, can stroke the long ball, finish through contact, and has a bit of a post game. He gets a nice amount of rebounds as well. I’m not the biggest Parker fan, but I must give talent when it’s due. If I had to put the ball in somebody in the NCAA’s hands to win the game, he’s on my short list (along with Smart & Napier). Just knows how to put the ball in the hole. At absolute worst, he could be your sixth man that can carry a team in spurts offensively, like a super sized Jamal Crawford. I think if he toned up a bit more & lost 10-15 pounds, he would gain some quickness & be a match up nightmare downlow or on the perimeter. I think he’s the safest bet in these classes to average 20 a game.

Comparison: Antwan Jamison/Antoine Walker/Carmelo Anthony/Benard King

Dante Exum—Just recently started to watch him , though I still need to see more, I think he has a chance to be special depending on the situation. I don’t see Penny Hardaway when I look at him though. I just don’t think he’s that talented as a facilitator right now. I compare him to a high school Kobe Bryant. He has that same long, skinny frame. I’m not saying he’s Kobe Bryant, but that at the same stage they have similarities. He has a very good first step. I think his athleticism gets overstated sometimes because he’s so quick. Is he athletic? Very. Is he Westbrook, a prime Rose or John Wall? Nope because he’s not really the leaper those guys are & doens’t have that crazy speed, but he’s much more longer than those guys so I don’t think its a problem. I also think his actual skills get underrated. He shows that he has a nice feel for the game & is a capable & willing to passer. Understands how to draw fouls & has good body control. Can finish around the rim. Crafty. Has a lot of potential defensively due to his athleticism & length. I think he’s more of a two than a one. I think he gets characterized as a one because people naturally see him that way because he has a nice feel for the game & is a willing passer. No type of midrange game. Streaky from deep. Could possibly be the best guy in this class if he develops accordingly. I think the worst thing that could happen to him is if he gets drafted by a Cleveland or a Sacramento. Fan bases should be patient, as he may show flashes of brilliance, but is a couple of years away from showing any real consistency to me. If he has a few years to develop though, I think he could be a real star.

Comparison: DeMarr Johnson/Shaun Livingston (now)/Ron Harper/Kobe Bryant

Marcus Smart—Built like a tank. I think he gets unfair questions about is he a real point guard. I mean, look at his team. His best options were an undersized guard who’s a streaky shooter & a wing who’s basically useless unless he’s around the basket. I think he has nice leadership qualities. Crafty. While he’s not the quickest or fastest & he doesn’t jump the highest, I think he’s could be one of the msot explosive guys in this class. He’s a bully. He sometimes plays too fast. He’s a streaky shooter, has shown he can also fill it up when needed. Very good rebounder. I think he has the potential to be the best defensive PG in the league. I think he can have a Wade-ish impact on D. Has a nice handle too. I don’t know if he could handle playing with another dynamic guy on his team though cause he’s a bit too ball dominant. He’s a guy I could see being a triple double threat.

Comparison: Aaron McKie/Lance Stephenson/Fat Lever/Dwyane Wade

cha
    Participant

Man, is it me or are people sleeping on the Melo man? Damn, dude plays not decent but GOOD defense. Ask any Team USA coaching staff or trainer. He was as surprised as anyone. He sometimes doesn’t pay attention on team defense and off-ball (which many players do) but overall, he’s good. Jabari is good and all; I like him a lot. He’ll be right between Pierce and Melo. Melo is just the better athlete, quicker, bigger and is an abosolutely one on one nightmare and oh yeah, to those people who knocked on him as a 3 point jacker without actually being a good one; dude’s shooting 40% from downtown while pulling down a career high in rebounds. The Knicks just wasted his prime year. 

cha
    Participant

Man, is it me or are people sleeping on the Melo man? Damn, dude plays not decent but GOOD defense. Ask any Team USA coaching staff or trainer. He was as surprised as anyone. He sometimes doesn’t pay attention on team defense and off-ball (which many players do) but overall, he’s good. Jabari is good and all; I like him a lot. He’ll be right between Pierce and Melo. Melo is just the better athlete, quicker, bigger and is an abosolutely one on one nightmare and oh yeah, to those people who knocked on him as a 3 point jacker without actually being a good one; dude’s shooting 40% from downtown while pulling down a career high in rebounds. The Knicks just wasted his prime year. 

Rip255

I actually liked that post. Not sure why he’s getting negs.  The Ron Harper/Exum comparison is interesting. Ron Harper was actually quite a good player back in the day. Its worth noting that Exum is still only 18 so teams need to work out whether they can afford to wait a couple of seasons before they get even a starting calibre player. If they can’t….better go with Marcus Smart who is 20. 

And the 2 versions of T-Mac seem like a good comparison for Wiggins. That’s who I think his game will most represent.

And I think D-Wade is beyond Smart’s ceiling. If he could get to Baron Davis or Tyreke Evans level, which I think he will, that would represent good value at pick 7-10 in a deep draft. 

And I just don’t see Parker as an effective wing. I’d much rather see him in a Carlos Boozer type double-double role at the 4 and at 6’8" with good strength, he’d manage. Otherwise he’s destined to be an iso-heavy Joe Johnson type at the wing. Plus I think he’d have more success guarding David Lee and Thad Young types than Kawhi Leonard and Rudy Gay types. 

Rip255

I actually liked that post. Not sure why he’s getting negs.  The Ron Harper/Exum comparison is interesting. Ron Harper was actually quite a good player back in the day. Its worth noting that Exum is still only 18 so teams need to work out whether they can afford to wait a couple of seasons before they get even a starting calibre player. If they can’t….better go with Marcus Smart who is 20. 

And the 2 versions of T-Mac seem like a good comparison for Wiggins. That’s who I think his game will most represent.

And I think D-Wade is beyond Smart’s ceiling. If he could get to Baron Davis or Tyreke Evans level, which I think he will, that would represent good value at pick 7-10 in a deep draft. 

And I just don’t see Parker as an effective wing. I’d much rather see him in a Carlos Boozer type double-double role at the 4 and at 6’8" with good strength, he’d manage. Otherwise he’s destined to be an iso-heavy Joe Johnson type at the wing. Plus I think he’d have more success guarding David Lee and Thad Young types than Kawhi Leonard and Rudy Gay types. 

Magic Jordan
      Participant

I also liked that Ron Harper comparison.  It is one I haven’t seen or heard about Exum but could end up being spot on.  Harper was a beast when he came into the league and they share a similar physical profile and athletic ability.

Magic Jordan
      Participant

I also liked that Ron Harper comparison.  It is one I haven’t seen or heard about Exum but could end up being spot on.  Harper was a beast when he came into the league and they share a similar physical profile and athletic ability.

Lotto Stud
        Participant

I’ve already been on the record for comparing Andrew Harrison to Ron Harper.

Lotto Stud
        Participant

I’ve already been on the record for comparing Andrew Harrison to Ron Harper.

TONYDABOSS77
    Participant

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Jabari playing the 4 thing. I even said that a few weeks back in a post, but in the first couple sentences I said I was just focusing on the perimeter guys so I left that part out, but I think he could be a perennial all star if a team was open to playing him at the 4 for atleast parts of a game.

As for the Melo thing, I feel where you’re coming from, but Jabari’s game most resembles Melo & Pierce & I already said Pierce. Plus, Melo had the same body type as Jabari has right now when he was coming out. It seems forever ago, but during Melo’s first couple seasons he didn’t look as explosive as he was at Syracuse & Oak Hill mostly due to having had gained some bad weight. Just like Jabari didn’t look as a good of an athlete as he had looked before because of gained weight. I mean, if you stretch Paul Pierce out from 6’6 to 6’8 230, you’d probably get Melo. Just my opinion though.

TONYDABOSS77
    Participant

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Jabari playing the 4 thing. I even said that a few weeks back in a post, but in the first couple sentences I said I was just focusing on the perimeter guys so I left that part out, but I think he could be a perennial all star if a team was open to playing him at the 4 for atleast parts of a game.

As for the Melo thing, I feel where you’re coming from, but Jabari’s game most resembles Melo & Pierce & I already said Pierce. Plus, Melo had the same body type as Jabari has right now when he was coming out. It seems forever ago, but during Melo’s first couple seasons he didn’t look as explosive as he was at Syracuse & Oak Hill mostly due to having had gained some bad weight. Just like Jabari didn’t look as a good of an athlete as he had looked before because of gained weight. I mean, if you stretch Paul Pierce out from 6’6 to 6’8 230, you’d probably get Melo. Just my opinion though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login