2013 U16 Fiba Americas...USA vs. Mex Round 1

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
2013 U16 Fiba Americas...USA vs. Mex Round 1

Here's the link to watch the 2013 U16 FIBA Americas Championships.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/default.asp

Argentina vs. Bahamas is on right now, but USA vs. Mexico starts at 4 p.m. eastern.

Watched all of the U16 games two years ago with Tyus Jones, Aaron Gordon, Jahlil Okafor and company...and it was some REALLY good basketball. When these guys represent the U.S., they don't mess around. Hopefully this years team lives up to the hype. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

qDizzle32
qDizzle32's picture
I've been really anxious to

I've been really anxious to watch that Seventh Woods kid play. I've only seen highlights of him but he's 14 years old and I would be impressed if I saw that talent from a 21 year old.

Siggy
Cool. Thought I missed

Cool. Thought I missed it.
Anybody catch their measurements?
Woods was kinda disappointing length-wise (nh), but he's got time to grow.
Some stand out measurements:

Harry Giles 6'9, 7'2 wingspan
VJ King 6'7, 6'11 ws
Thomas Bryant near 9'4 standing reach
Jayson Tatum 6'6, 6'9 ws

Velvet Hoop
Velvet Hoop's picture
I Thought...

that some of the measurements seemed weird. Like Malik Monk at 6'1.25 w/o shoes and then 6'4.5 with. What kind of shoes is he wearing? I think there were four guys that gained 2 inches from their shoes. Then again, none of those players made the final cut, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I was really impressed at VJ king's length. On their blog they have a team picture and he looks much longer than Tatum.

Harry Giles is the truth. 6'9 with that wingspan? I think he is going to wind up being one hell of a wing player a la KD, only he is already 209 lbs. and the kid just turned 15 a few months ago.

Here is the blog that is written by coach Dan Showalter's wife.

http://2013usabasketballu16.blogspot.com/

Siggy
Starting lineup Seventh

Starting lineup

Seventh Woods
Malik Newman
Josh Jackson
Harry Giles
Diamond Stone

Should be shuffling players in and out. This Mexican team is hilariously bad. They look like a typical American JV team.

Siggy
Some observations from this

Some observations from this joke of a game.

Ivan Rabb has amazing hands and feet. Very nimble feet, springy and has velcro hands. Had one play where he caught a lob in transition with one hand, hung in the air for a little and scooped it in, all in one motion.

Newman looks like a knock down catch and shoot shooter. Looks a little short for a 2, but he's got time.

Jackson looks like a baller. Very active, tough defensively. Made some smooth and clever slashing finishes.

Harry Giles was used at the point of the press, which was kinda surprising. He's not an amazing athlete but is very long and balanced. I wonder if he'll fill out to be a 4.

I don't know what to make of these rotations, but VJ King was either the 11th or 12th man on this team. I found that interesting.

Woods is trying to play under control, but still has some sloppy TOs. Banged one home in transition and missed another open court dunk. Very good balance defensively as well.

Siggy
Team Mexico hung tough, but

Team Mexico hung tough, but USA hangs on to eek out a 99 pt win. 130-31

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
After a tough

It was a fierce, tough game where both teams had to withstand the others' best shots. Each quarter seemingly felt like a round of a title fight, and the United States won by what can only be seen as a closely contested majority decision. There was no one punch KO tonight, as the USA hangs on by the narrow score of 130-31.

Tap892
Some fun stats: USA had 96

Some fun stats: USA had 96 points in the paint, Mexico had 8.

USA had 43 points of turnovers, Mexico had 2.

USA had 28 points off of turnovers, Mexico had 0.

USA had 39 fast break points, Mexico had 2.

Chrispy
Chrispy's picture
43 or 28?

43 pts of TOs or 28? I'm confused... Going with 43...

Siggy
Team USA played pretty poorly

Team USA played pretty poorly today and still won by almost 30 vs Puerto Rico. They junked up the game, turned the ball over a lot, shot 41% from the floor 5% from 3 (1-21) but scrambled on defense, mixing up the looks and killing the o-glass.

Ivan Rabb destroyed them on the offensive glass, grabbing 9 O-boards. He's such a quick leaper with great hands and he finishes equally well with both hands, probably finishers better with his off-hand which is kinda cool. With Giles out for the rest of the tourney, Rabb looks like the best player on the team.

I really like Josh Jackson's floor game. He's probably the most mature perimeter player on the team. He does a little bit of everything, defends well and plays with great pace. Needs to work on his shot though. He plays like the wing version of Jrue Holiday IMO.

Thomas Bryant has super long arms. Not really a great athlete and looks kinda awkward with his movements, but he plays with really good aggressiveness. Thought he was gonna get in a fight a couple of times.

Seventh Woods has been a bit of a disappointment. His defense has been solid, but his shot isn't falling and he's not playing with enough aggressiveness. He doesn't even look like he's trying to attack, being perfectly content with bringing the ball up and passing it to the wing. Maybe it's the zone defenses that they're facing, but he looks like he's trying to be too much of a distributor and not playing to his strengths. He had opportunities to get in the creases and collapse the D, but he'd give the ball up early.

TYO
How did Jayson Tatum look if

How did Jayson Tatum look if you don't mind me asking?

Siggy
None of Team USA's perimeter

None of Team USA's perimeter player had good games except for Josh Jackson. Like the rest of the team he missed his jump shots, but also made a couple of mistakes in transition where he tried to take it himself instead of hitting his teammate for an easier shot. He still impacted the game with his length though with a number of deflections and boards. They also used him as a point forward, having him bring the ball up and orchestrate. Seems to have a solid floor game in the half court.

TYO
Thanks for the insight. I do

Thanks for the insight. I do know there was some talk in St Louis that he wants to be a Point Guard at the next level.

Siggy
He does look like he knows

He does look like he knows what to do with the ball in the half court, but I don't know about him being a PG, maybe a point forward. He could gain some quickness and explosiveness as he puts on muscle, but as of now I don't think he has the quickness to defend PGs, nor do I think he has the breakdown ability usually associated with PGs.

He just turned 15 and he's already near 6'7. I don't think he's done growing. He's got that gangly look about him that makes me think he'll grow a few more inches.

BTW, the championship game is today at 5pm ET if anyone wants to check it out on fibaamericas.

RSS: Syndicate content