This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar DolanCare 12 years ago.

• Author
    Hi its Ben
    Participant

Right now between the 19-23 picks of the 2013 draft, there are 4 point guards projected.  These 4 are Lorenzo Brown, Ryan Harrow, Myck Kabongo, and Isaiah Canaan. Some questions.

1) Which of these do you think has the best chance to crack the lottery next year?

2) Which one could slide into the second round?

3) Who has the best pro career?

4) Any comparisons for any of them?

For me, just off the top of my head I feel that Isaiah Canaan reminds me of Jameer Nelson.  Stocky PG who can shoot the lights out but still needs to work on his point guard skills.  Thoughts?

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Ryan Harrow is the biggest question mark to me at this point, what can coach Cal do with him with all that talent around him

gopack10
    Participant

Kabongo probably has the best chance at getting into the lottery since he has the most clout and upside of the group but I think that Lorenzo Brown is the best of the bunch at this point.

I may be biased since I’m a State fan but he is a matchup nightmare for smaller PG’s in the league.  He is 6’5 in shoes and has a long wing span.  He can dribble penetrate and create his own shot off the dribble, he is an above average defender at both guard positions and he is a very good passer.  His lack of a three point jump shot will hold him back but look for him to jump on everyone’s big boards next year.

surve
    Participant

Lorenzo Brown should be that guy.  He is better than all of them, plus his size puts him higher than Kabongo.  Kabongo is talented but I dont see him in the lottery due to his size…ala Collison.  He is likely a mid-late first rounder.  Brown is a guy who can play both guard positions equally….so he is not a combo guard, he is whatever you want to draft him as.

I agree, Harrow is a question mark.  He is talented, but how he has improved and grown since transferring is something we will have to wait and see about.  History usually suggests that a transfer of his stature should be primed for a big year.

With Canaan, again, I compare him to Nelson like I did Kabongo to Collison.  Although he could be as good as Nelson and Kabongo could be as good as Collison….when talking draft, I think their lack of size pushes them out of the lottery.  Teams just usually draft for size first, even if its a guy who is not a true PG that they want to convert to one.  Kemba Walker was a recent exception but his speed is ridiculous and none of these guys can score that ball like Kemba.

Pointman21
    Participant

Seen very little of this group. Brown does have the size. To me Kabongo looks to have the passing feel. Could be a little like TJ Ford at Texas. That could be good and bad.

TomShoe
    Participant

I’d like Myck.

*lol it rhymes*

*and it’s like the movie too*

Kk, Here’s a little analysis:

The Good: Kabongo is a pure playmaker who can make everyone around him better. He’s quick and he has a pretty nice jump shot. 

The Bad: Pure point guards need talent around them. Kabongo had a black hole — J’Covan Brown and little else. He struggled in virtually every area as a freshman. 

The Upside: Kabongo is a much better prospect than he showed as a freshman at Texas. It just wasn’t a great fit for him this year after most of Texas’ talent left for the NBA. His stock has slid considerably because of it, but it wouldn’t take him long to rebuild faith in his skills. This is a very weak point guard draft, and Kabongo is one of the few point guards in the NCAA with the ability to make an impact at the next level.

DolanCare
    Participant

Lorenzo Brown size obviously gives him the advantage for most PG matchups. But he may never develop the PG skillset that is needed to lead a great team.

Kabongo on the otherhand has the quickness and passing ability that is required for the NBA point guard role. His size makes him a defensive liability and will probably keep him from being an finisher at the rim, but he still has more upside when you’re talking about fitting into a NBA system

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login