Mikez
Mikez's picture
the 2013 ping pong ball video

theprophet
ok, this still does not prove

ok, this still does not prove anything.

strobox88
So only the top 3 teams use

So only the top 3 picks utilize the lottery balls? What about picks 4-14? If it's based on previous season's winning precentage, sounds pretty rigged to me. What's so "lotto" about that? lmao

I get the feeling this video didn't show everything.

Forte IV
Forte IV's picture
I didn't get how that worked

I didn't get how that worked at all. I always thought there were 100 ping pong balls with more the worst team having most in the pot while the 14th team having maybe one or so. Are they all weighted differently? It looked like every ball had the same chance to come out.

Forte IV
Forte IV's picture
Ohh okay. I should have

Ohh okay. I should have watched more. Its just number combinations and they use that board behind the pot to see who gets the picks. makes sense now. I would assume for the 14th team to get the pick it would have to be the 14,13 and 12 balls or something like that.

seskillm
I believe here's how it works

Each team gets a certain number of combinations. The combinations are made up of 4 different lottery balls (1-14 obviously). The worst team in the league each year receives a random 25% of those combinations. They don't necessarily receive them all in one block of combinations, such as they all start with 1, 2, or 3. I believe the league has said there are 1,000 combinations available, so this past year the Bobcats received 25% of those combinations. If their combination came up, they would've received the #1 pick. After they draw for the #1, then all the balls go back in the machine and they draw again, with that combination receiving the #2 pick. Repeat for the #3 pick. If any of the combinations come up for the same team, they redraw.
After the first 3 picks are done, they just put the teams in reverse order of how the completed the NBA Season.
Hope this helps explain it for everybody.

Grandmama
Grandmama's picture
I checked out some info on

I checked out some info on the lottery and found out that in the 29 years the NBA has held a lottery, only 4 times has the team with the worst record won the lottery. '88 Clippers, '90 Nets, '03 Cavs who were tied for the worst record, and '04 Magic. I thought that total would have been higher.

RSS: Syndicate content