This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar alinge 11 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Alright, Nike Hoop Summit fans, the day is finally here! The World Roster, after a long, long wait, has been announced:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/13_hsum_world_roster.html

My apologies to those who I doubted regarding some guys considered 2014 prospects, because it seems that the game is open to them getting a couple shots. Also, the only returnee from last years roster is the one we are all waiting to see. Will give you the roster breakdown along with links to their site player profiles, no real shockers and all are known commodities from their respective countries.

G Dennis Schroeder (Germany) 6-1 1993

G [Player: Nikola Ivanovic] (Montenegro) 6-3 1994

G [Player: Dante Exum] (Australia) 6-4 1995

G [Player: Mario Hezonja] (Croatia) 6-7 1995

F [Player: Sergey Karasev] (Russia) 6-7 1993

F [Player: Andrew Wiggins] (Canada) 6-7 1995

F Livio Jean-Charles (France) 6-9 1993

F [Player: Gabriel Deck] (Argentina) 6-6 (?) 1995

C [Player: Mouhammadou Jaiteh] (France) 6-8 (?) 1994

C [Player: Karl Towns] (Dominican Republic) 6-11 (?) 1995

All of the heights are taken from the current USA Basketball listing for the World Roster, put question marks next to the ones I have heard might be different. Have seen Deck listed at 6-8, Jaiteh at 6-10 and Towns at close to 7-1. Of course have seen Wiggins listed as 6-8 by his HS and numerous others, interested to see if he has indeed grown. Will say, when he was standing side by side with Anthony Bennett, Wiggins appeared taller last year. Think they may say more about Bennett NOT being 6-8 rather than saying Wiggins is, though we will see.

Here is a thread I made about the USA team announcement. Roster looks stacked and I am sure they will be hungry for redemption:

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/2013-usa-junior-national-select-team-roster-announced-16th-annual-nike-hoop-summit

Well, incredibly excited to be covering this event once again and will keep you guys up to date as soon as hit my first practice in Portland. The game is April 20 at the Rose Garden and is generally televised on FOX Sports (which is probably why ESPN tends to not have a lot of coverage around it). What do you guys think of the world team? Who do you have in the game? Think it is going to be very competitive, hoping we get back to that amazing 2010 contest that went through three major lead changes on both sides.

Siggy
    Participant

Wow. That is a pretty impressive group. I think I’ll favor the world.

omphalos
    Participant

Exum represent, I hope Simmons gets selected next year after all the hype he got.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

Think the reason he was probably not selected was due to his being born in 1996, along with plethora of wings on this roster. I have not heard anything about [Player: Dante Exum] re-classifying to 2013, though the site that shall remain nameless has ever so steadily kept him on their 2014 Mock Draft. From everything I have heard, Dante is planning on coming to the US for his last year of HS and going to some lucky school for more than likely a year or two.

So, if all goes well, next year their could be a couple Aussies on the World Team who are amongst the top of their respective classes, with Simmons possibly holding down the top spot. Just know he REALLY impressed people at the Pangos All-American camp, looked good at the U-17’s and great at adidas Nations. Think he arrived in Monteverde around the start of the year and will be suiting up for them next season. So, just saying, the hype around [Player: Ben Simmons] may not be a joke, hearing from good sources he could be a stud.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Will be interesting to see whether the quicker US bigs can take advantage of the bulkier ones on the International side. The athleticism of this World Team looks to be pretty fantastic, that is usually what tends to pull in favor of the US. I have heard Schroeder is a water bug, Exum is really quick as well. In the other thread, pohani komarac said that Hezonja has been injured, would be a shame if he missed the game.

Their can be a few last minute changes, were last year when [Player: Evan Fournier] and [Player: Dmitry Kulagin] were replaced by Vytenis Cizauskas and Tauras Jogela from Lithuania. If anything, it made the game a tad more fair, the Lithuanians played hard and were not bad, just doubt you will be seeing them on NBA rosters, while Fournier was a first round pick and Kulagin is apparently super talented.

If Hezonja is healthy, the World just looks STACKED at the wing. So many weapons. Roy Rana managed his roster really well last year, think it will be hard to go wrong again with this group. The interesting thing will be whether they make a plan to stop Wiggins. Also think Jabari Parker could be an issue as well, last year everyone wanted to see Wiggins/Muhammad, this year we see re-match of Wiggins/Parker in Portland. 2011 Global Challenge came down to a Parker/Wiggins covering each other for a large portion of the Finals. Parker had some nice buckets, but Wiggins got him into foul trouble. I believe Wiggins finished with 18, Jabari finished with 9 though his team won the tournament and he won the event MVP. Will be incredible to see how they match-up almost two years later.

AwardedBaller
    Participant

Awwww, I was hoping to see Xavier Rathan-Mayes.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

He is a good player, just think that if any Canadian would have made it besides [Player:Trey Lyles] (who was invited, but had to pull out due to injury), it would have been [Player: Tyler Ennis]. X is a good player and I am sure he could have given them a scoring punch, just doubt he would have gotten much PT. Have a feeling that if this roster stays intact, you the players chosen will bring even more to the table than Xavier would at this point. Again, I do like X, just do not know if he would crack this teams rotation. Have to say, not sure if Ennis would either, though he will be playing in the Derby Classic on April 19th anyway, so at least he gets in some sort of All-Star game.

XYRYX
    Participant

No Greeks included? I’m gonna pass on this list haters…

Honestly a very nice group of young players! Great to see a german talent on this list even if I’m still not sold on Schröder as an NBA prospect. Hezonia seems to me as the next big thing from europe, talent wise having the same ceiling as Rubio. Don’t sleep on Ivanovich either! The former Jugoslavia has always a ton of great talents to offer!

Best international class ever? Maybe, Wiggins alone makes this list worth a gamble

qDizzle32
    Participant

Mario Hezonja played against the Dallas Mavericks in this last preseason, Sergey Karasev played on Russia’s team in the 2012 Olympics with Andrei Kirilenko and Alexy Sheved and Karl Towns played against Team USA’s Olympic Team last summer. There’s 3 players on that team who have experience of playing with and against NBA Players.

McDunkin

This roster! 

This game!

This lack of Greeks!
     photo ahh_zps7197cd84.png

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

The site that shall remain nameless is reporting that [Player: Giannis Adetokoubo] is working on straightening out his passport issues and could be added to the roster. The last Greek to play in the Hoop Summit was of course: [Player: Nikos Pappas]. In the mean time, thanks for once again taking time to feed the Euro Troll even more fodder McZefLife.

Rotela
    Participant

A world team with no Africans in it SMH…although Jaiteh and Shroeder do have African ethnicity..

tortue
    Participant

I confirm measurements are inaccurate. Jaiteh is a lot bigger than Livio Jean-Charles. Jaiteh is around 6’10 – 240 while Jean-Charles is around 6’8 – 220

McDunkin

But why would he troll this? Everyone knows that Giannis is Nigerian

European Basketballer
      Participant

LeBron is Nigerian too.

alinge
        Participant

So are Steve Nash and Kevin Love, it’s all a conspiracy

theballerway
    Participant

he intrigues me alot and should be looking to show out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login