This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar holefillers1 7 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    jjj10man
    Participant

During the 2014 and 2015 seasons, it was pretty consensus that the 2013 draft class was one of the worst (if not the worst ever). The best players to come out were Victor Oladipo and Michael Carter Williams, both of which looked like they would struggle to be all stars.

Fast forward to 2016 then 2017, the players in this draft class seem to keep improving completely unpredictably. A class that looked like it had no real all stars now has: Otto Porter Giannis CJ McCollum Rudy Gobert

What are your updated thoughts for this draft class? I think the improvement of Rudy Gobert and Otto Porter, along with the unlimited potential of Giannis saved this draft class from being the worst to one of the best

Zouldiers
    Participant

This class to me is unique. The best prospects in this class have come from the mid to late first round as Schroeder and Gobert are future all-stars while Giannis is a superstar in the making plus McCollum and Porter who could be allstars as well. This class may have the worst top-10 of all time but may have the most talented group of international players.

BallerScript
    Participant

Not one of the best but there is definite positive potential

he_gets_buckets
    Participant

No where near one of the best ever its just an average class- one star and a couple quality starters/borderline Allstars. Best ever is when you have multiple hall of famers, eg Jordan/Stockton/Hakeem/Barkley draft, or the Kobe/Ray Allen/Steve Nash/Allen Iverson draft, which also had a plethora of All stars and quality starters.

terrancebower
      Participant

Nobody is saying it’s the greatest, just that it went from being considered horrible in the first couple years to being solid, and that it’s interesting that the biggest stars aren’t from the top 5-10 picks, which is usually the case. No one ones comparing this to ’84, ’96 or ’03. 

Matos
        Participant

OP distinctly said "…from being the worst to one of the best."

OhCanada-
    Participant

Out of the four players on yiur list only one was good from the jump thats Mccollum. Giannis, Porter and Gobert were patiently developed. Good players and talent is everywhere the key is and will akways be development.

Jester87
    Participant

I’d still say it was a fairly weak class, with a few high risk high reward picks that have gone as well as the could’ve gone. Giannis is the only legit superstar (and man, was he a bet). Gobert is a perennial all defense player who’s enough of a threat on lobs and drop offs to contribute on offense (also an acceptable passer). I’m not sure he is a top 20-30 player in the league, but not far from that mark (I don’t like to use the formula "all star" as it’s pretty much meaningless, all star appearances are too arbitrary and the product of coincidences, so they tell very little about how good a player is and more often than not are based on production of raw offensive stats – i.e. ppg – more than actual impact on the court). McCollum is a great offensive player, but I think his ceiling is a little capped by his defensive deficiencies, especially playing next to another small guard. Unless he shows he can be the lead guard for a good team I think he’s a tad below the all star status, whatever it means. Schroder is a nice player, but I’d call him more of a good starter than someone with star power. He’s not very explosive as a finisher and has yet to show he can be a contributor on defense and we’re talking about the deepest position in the league. He’s not even among the 10 best players in his position and it doesn’t seem like the talent pool is going to dry up in the coming future. Porter is growing into a nice player, which tells you a lot about how important development is, considering how embarassing he looked in his first season. I can’t really say what his ceiling might be, considering his late growth, but he still has to show he can do anything off the dribble and be more than a 3&D combo wing, which makes him a coveted player in today’s Nba, but definitely not a star.

Other than these guys there are some sneaky good players, who are going to have 10 years+ careers as solid rotation pieces/starters like Dipo, Adams, KCP, Zeller, Noel, Olynyk, Plumlee, Dieng, Nogueira, Hardaway, Crabbe, Muscala, Lauvergne, Roberson. Those guys should all stick in the league (maybe put a question mark on Roberson, whose offensive incompetence might be too much of a burden to shoulder on a non rookie scale deal). Outside of them the others are all on the bubble (well Solomon Hill luckboxed an obscene long term deal, so he will be on a roster for a while, but I still have to see evidence he’s a legitimate Nba player), 6 first rounder are already out of the league (seemingly for good) along with 22 second rounders. Guys like McLemore, MCW and maybe Burke aren’t really doing much to stick around. It doesn’t look like a great output. Not as disastrous as the 2000 class (which had no Giannis, but had a lot of guys who could’ve had better careers and have been solid contributors if it weren’t for injuries), but I don’t recall many worse classes.

By the way, if I have to point the finger on a class that this far seem to be different than expected I would mention the 2014. It was expected to be a once in a decade class, while it’s been good I’d say it hasn’t met the expectations, especially if you think how everyone was saying how the 2015 class was going to be a lot of weaker (while it has proven to be better, for now).

Jordo
    Participant

Think you’re jumping the gun saying it went from worst to best but those guys have definitely started to show thier potential. 

cjw
    Participant

Everyone knew giannis and gobert would probably be good

TheTruth86
    Participant

For me , the 2013 draft class is special bc this is the year I got interested in nba prospects and the draft itself. There are a number of good players, they just didnt get drafted in the correct order. Its kinda funny but also exciting. I have to admit that I was high on Anthony Bennett and Ben McLemore, in the same time I disliked prospects like Rudy Gobert and Otto Porter, lol, I guess I didnt know much back then.  I agree with other users  that development is key, I also think that some guys of this draft class would end up much better than expected even as of now (Steven Adams, KCP), bennett certainly not included ,lol.

holefillers1
    Participant

CJ was injured early in his career.  He can ball, Giannis can ball.  Gobert is a perennial DPOY candidate.  This draft is what draws me to scouting college basketball.  You don’t need all 22 footage to gain an advantage.  For example, I am certain that 80% of the people who regularly contribute to this site can draft better than Sacramento.  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login