This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mattystars 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    arambone
    Participant

PG- Schroeder
    SG- Koresev
    SF- Saric
    PF- Noguiera
    C- Gobert

Seems like an unusually deep group of internationals with top 20 rankings and even higher potential.

If I was gm of the Cavs, Suns, or Hawks, I’d try to draft as many of these guys as possible, get another good pick next year, and hit the ground running in ’14-’15. Someday I hope we see such a rebuild strategy carried out. Could be a real shortcut to the standard 5 year hope-n-pray 5 year rebuild timeline, and offer a nice four year window of dirt cheap contracts.

Cleveland could probably get four or all five of the above, Atlanta and Phoenix at least two.

Just a thought as an unorthodox rebuild strategy

JoeWolf1

When I think draft and stash, I often think of 2nd rounders. I think at least 4 if not all 5 of the players you mentioned are going to be first rounders and playing in the NBA in 2013-14. 1st round contracts are not “dirt cheap” either.

When I think “stash” I think 2nd round. I’m no international expert, but here is my team.

PG:- Nemanja Nedovic
    SG:- Athanasois Adetokoubo
    SF:- Livo Jean-Charles
    PF: -Augusto Lima
    C: – Mouhammadou Jatieh

JoeWolf1

When I think draft and stash, I often think of 2nd rounders. I think at least 4 if not all 5 of the players you mentioned are going to be first rounders and playing in the NBA in 2013-14. 1st round contracts are not “dirt cheap” either.

When I think “stash” I think 2nd round. I’m no international expert, but here is my team.

PG:- Nemanja Nedovic
    SG:- Athanasois Adetokoubo
    SF:- Livo Jean-Charles
    PF: -Augusto Lima
    C: – Mouhammadou Jatieh

arambone
    Participant

I think the team has control over when the player is brought over, at least when the player has more years on an overseas contract. A buyout is optional, not mandatory. Noguiera has more years on his Estudiantes contract and said he’d come to nba when his drafting team decided. Anybody know about the rest?

1.5-2.5 million isnt dirt cheap, but if these guys get another year of development overseas, they all seem to project pretty well 2-4 years from now compared to mid-late 1st round rookie contracts.

But bringing them over now, the value goes down. All of these guys will get significantly stronger in the next year. Each of them with 10 extra pounds becomes closer to an elite or semi-elite prospect.

arambone
    Participant

I think the team has control over when the player is brought over, at least when the player has more years on an overseas contract. A buyout is optional, not mandatory. Noguiera has more years on his Estudiantes contract and said he’d come to nba when his drafting team decided. Anybody know about the rest?

1.5-2.5 million isnt dirt cheap, but if these guys get another year of development overseas, they all seem to project pretty well 2-4 years from now compared to mid-late 1st round rookie contracts.

But bringing them over now, the value goes down. All of these guys will get significantly stronger in the next year. Each of them with 10 extra pounds becomes closer to an elite or semi-elite prospect.

FutureNBAGM
    Participant

I would add Marko Todorovic and Joffrey Lauvergne as 2nd round draft-and-stash possibilities as well.

FutureNBAGM
    Participant

I would add Marko Todorovic and Joffrey Lauvergne as 2nd round draft-and-stash possibilities as well.

DolanCare
    Participant

Nogueira may not come over next year, but that’s different than ‘drafting and stashing’. For example, Jonas V was not stashed, he just completed his contract.

DolanCare
    Participant

Nogueira may not come over next year, but that’s different than ‘drafting and stashing’. For example, Jonas V was not stashed, he just completed his contract.

arambone
    Participant

The point is drafting an international player who won’t join the team for a year or more, and preserving the full rookie contract.

Using Valenciunus (sp) as an example, Cleveland didnt draft him because they were in a rush to improve immediately, so they took T Thompson. Thompson is a good player, but Jonas V is better and a center. Cleveland should not have been in such a rush to get better, although they are still in pretty good shape with the waiters, zeller, thompson and number 1 pick this year.

Saric says he wants to come over this year, and has a 1.5 million buyout. I’m starting to like him more for my Celtics at 16, whether or not he comes right over. He could be a borderline all star as a stretch 4 for years, if not immediately.

arambone
    Participant

The point is drafting an international player who won’t join the team for a year or more, and preserving the full rookie contract.

Using Valenciunus (sp) as an example, Cleveland didnt draft him because they were in a rush to improve immediately, so they took T Thompson. Thompson is a good player, but Jonas V is better and a center. Cleveland should not have been in such a rush to get better, although they are still in pretty good shape with the waiters, zeller, thompson and number 1 pick this year.

Saric says he wants to come over this year, and has a 1.5 million buyout. I’m starting to like him more for my Celtics at 16, whether or not he comes right over. He could be a borderline all star as a stretch 4 for years, if not immediately.

mattystars
      Participant

If only Cleveland could wait a year for JV that would of been huge coming into this season they could comfortably select Porter with the 1st pick

mattystars
      Participant

If only Cleveland could wait a year for JV that would of been huge coming into this season they could comfortably select Porter with the 1st pick

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Alex Abrines a shooting guard that has lottery type talent..Might slip to the 2nd round,becuz of his contract situation…..He might not play in the nba for a yr or 2…..

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Alex Abrines a shooting guard that has lottery type talent..Might slip to the 2nd round,becuz of his contract situation…..He might not play in the nba for a yr or 2…..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login