2012 Nike Hoop Summit Rosters Announced

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
2012 Nike Hoop Summit Rosters Announced

No Steven Adams :(. He will be playing in the Jordan Brand Classic, but it appears he might not make it to this one. But, some interesting prospects. Dario Saric and Evan Fournier will both be repeats from last year. Fournier may even be playing to try and show off to the scouts for this year.

Other choices:

PF Anthony Bennett, Canada

SF Andrew Wiggins, Canada: First time I have ever remembered them selecting a domestic HS underclassmen to compete. AWESOME!

C Marcos Delia, Argentina

PG Aleksandar Cvetkovic, Serbia

SG Dmitry Kulagin, Russia

SG Michal Michalak, Poland

C Patson Siame, Zambia

PG Leo Westermann, France

C Zhelin Wang, China

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/roster.html

Will get to see these guys practice and keep everyone updated. Really excited about Saric and Fournier being chosen again, not to mention the two Canadians who are both top ranked HS prospects. Wiggins will be the youngest player by a decent margin, will be interesting to see how he stacks up against the 2012 US Wings.

Anton123
Anton123's picture
Sheesh, how long has it been

Sheesh, how long has it been since I've seen a nice young prospect from my home country, hope Kulagin does well

This year the international roster is actually pretty good. This should be an interesting game, since the talent level for once is actually pretty equal. Fournier should play like a man among boys, being pretty much a college sophmore and it will be interesting to see the future potential lottery-bound players in Wigginns, Saric and, maybe, Bennett

I'll be waiting for the updates, keep it up!

JunkYardDog
JunkYardDog's picture
This is a shame there is no

This is a shame there is no greek player !!! THERE IS A DEFINITE AGENDA AGAINST GREECE !

More seriously : is there any reason steven adams is not selected ?

I'm personaly high on fournier : not very agressive but very talented offensively and so smart on the court. He has progressed a lot this year scoring lots of point and being more involved as a leader. He still needs to work on his D but he is a great kid and a great teammate.

Westermann has a great feel for the game and great passing skills. He has also progressed a lot this year but should be at best a 2nd round... he's more fitted for an european carreer (at least for a few years à la De Colo for the spurs).

seniokas
seniokas's picture
Steven Adams decided to go to

Steven Adams decided to go to some kind of Adidas event, so I assume that was the reason, because other than that there are no reasons.

It's really stupid situation when because ''wars'' between companies you cannot participate in some events, just like Saric couldn't play in one tournament this summer...

JunkYardDog
JunkYardDog's picture
thanks for the precision

thanks for the precision seniokas

that's waht we call "beauty of sports" I think

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
Boooo Adidas And I am

Boooo Adidas

And I am excited for this game I didnt even think of Wiggins being on the roster. I figured the Polish center from last years game would make a return since he seems like the only big international prospect left thats actually considering college

Hadzialijagic
I dont see a realistic chance

I dont see a realistic chance at the international team but it seems like a really good oppurtunity for Wiggins Bennett Saric and Fournier to showcase their skills

peZt93
This squad lacks some quality

This squad lacks some quality big men. I don't even know one of those Centers lol. I was really excited to see Steven Adams for the first time.

rwd5035
Nikos Pappas WHY U NOT AT

Nikos Pappas WHY U NOT AT NIKE HOOP SUMMIT

akhan786
akhan786's picture
EuropeanBaller in

EuropeanBaller in 3...2...1...

niQ
niQ's picture
Shoutouts

Shoutouts to Anthony Bennet and Andrew Wiggins! Should be a good game. Can't wait to see how they do!

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Think they are more interested in NBA prospects.......

As opposed to International guys playing in college. Karnowski may play college and might be big/skilled enough to merit some NBA attention, but I think if there is one thing this team is never short on it is size (pun not intended). Have heard of many of them, should be interesting to see how it plays out. 11 guys on the Internationals right now, they say it is a final roster but there have been instances of adding a player or two.

The Adidas thing sounds legit for Adams, but it is definitely a bummer. Would have loved to have seen how he looked in practice against these guys and how he handled the US bigs in the game. This year may be short on star power for the US HS Class, but it has a lot of big bodies. Still, the most intriguing thing about this international team is its depth at guard.

Fournier and Saric are players I am excited seeing with another year of experience, maturation under there belt. Word is, Evan Fournier might consider entering the draft this year and this could boost his stock a great deal. In a draft short on big foreign names, Fournier could be the first taken. Have also heard good things about Kulagin.

Andrew Wiggins is the player I am easily most excited about seeing, though. Had no idea they would have him in the game, I believe it is unprecedented that they have an underclassman playing US HS ball playing in the Hoop Summit. Andrew looked great during the Global Challenge and I would love to see him play against his older peers. Could he be thinking of reclassifying? Maybe moving up to 2013 and playing in the game again next year? Or, maybe he could play in it three separate times if he stays 2014? Either way, Wiggins vs. Shabazz Muhammad should be exciting.

Anthony Bennett should give the US team match-up problems, no real stretch 4. Saric played pretty sparingly last year, but did not look bad and could definitely stretch the floor as well. Seems like a lock to be at least a mid first round pick whenever he chooses to enter the draft, which I believe he could do next year (possibly even this year?). Well, starting April 2 I will keep everyone in the loop about what I see at the International practices.

McDunkin
McDunkin's picture
Mikey Im kind of glad he isnt

Mikey Im kind of glad he isnt playing. He has the skills of Marc Gasol...with the speed of a turtle I think he would have been picked apart in this game.

I hate that mst of the size the World roster usally has down low are too skinny to bang down low, prefer the perimeter,or too unathletic to hang with the U.S.. Look at what an aggressive big like Kanter was able to do for them.

niQ
niQ's picture
Don't sleep on Dario Saric

I remember seeing highlights of him playing well against Jonas Valanciunas in the FIBA U19 World championships last year. Go google it. He was pretty much doing everything in that game and throughout the whole tournament.

On another note, Kulagin and Cvetkovic made the allstar 5 in that same tournament. (Jeremy Lamb as well).

peZt93
Im pretty excited about the

Im pretty excited about the Shabazz vs. Wiggins and Kyle Anderson vs. Dario Saric Matchups.

As I have read Anderson seems to be a similiar prospect as Dario Saric and it will be interesting to see how they matchup against each other.

Hale
Hale's picture
Can't wait to see Wiggins

Can't wait to see Wiggins play in this.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
McKarnowski

He was last year. Definitely a gigantic specimen, but he had little impact last year. Never established post position, not to mention the guards do not necessarily look to pass. Apparently (from butidonthavemoney), he was solid in practice and tough to stop. Also had a really solid U-17 Tournament where Poland finished second to the US, he has been compared to a Brad Miller type. Still, if it had to be anyone returning, really glad it was Saric and Fournier.

Wish Steven Adams was there as I know he schooled Kaleb Tarczewski when the two have previously met (Adidas Nations, maybe in HS as well). He is one of those athletes that I think would make life tough for the US. Enes Kanter was definitely one of those too, though more with brute strength and great positioning. I genuinely think they must have wanted Adams, but I guess scheduling didn't work out or something. Always seems to happen with one guy or another, but I am still pretty happy with the names I see.

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Something on Patson Siame

MONDAY, MARCH 26, 2012

Welcome Patson Siame!

Click for larger size.

Very exciting news today for Lions fans. Patson Siame (from Zambia) a 6'10" who is a center playing at Impact Basketball Academy in Las Vegas has committed to the Lions per several recruiting sites. There is not much information on Siame as he seems to have just gotten to the US but Frank Burlison a respected basketball writer saw Siame play at Nevada Basketball development league game and described him as:

Patson Siame impressed more than any other forward in the event. The athletic Zambia native who trains at Impact Basketball Academy blocked numerous shots, ran the floor well, and dunked again and again. He passes pretty well for a big man with a relatively raw game and he has a natural feel for where to be on offense. He is a high-major prospect who has an obvious enthusiasm for the game.

In doing research on him what really impressed me was that he has been invited to play at the prestigious Nike Hoops summit where the "World Team" will go up against some of the top rated US players>

Rosters :

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

I'm sure there will be more information coming out as we find out more about Patson. Sounds like an excellent addition to our 2012 class.

Short video:(Starts at :49)

http://ballislife.com/nbdl-week-1-mix-w-marcus-lovett-jr-josh-wade-stephen-zimmerman-more/

An tremendous recruiting job by the staff.

Go Lions and welcome Patson!

http://lmubasketball.blogspot.ca/2012/03/welcome-patson-siame.html

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Something on Patson Siame

MONDAY, MARCH 26, 2012

Welcome Patson Siame!

Click for larger size.

Very exciting news today for Lions fans. Patson Siame (from Zambia) a 6'10" who is a center playing at Impact Basketball Academy in Las Vegas has committed to the Lions per several recruiting sites. There is not much information on Siame as he seems to have just gotten to the US but Frank Burlison a respected basketball writer saw Siame play at Nevada Basketball development league game and described him as:

Patson Siame impressed more than any other forward in the event. The athletic Zambia native who trains at Impact Basketball Academy blocked numerous shots, ran the floor well, and dunked again and again. He passes pretty well for a big man with a relatively raw game and he has a natural feel for where to be on offense. He is a high-major prospect who has an obvious enthusiasm for the game.

In doing research on him what really impressed me was that he has been invited to play at the prestigious Nike Hoops summit where the "World Team" will go up against some of the top rated US players>

Rosters :

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/

I'm sure there will be more information coming out as we find out more about Patson. Sounds like an excellent addition to our 2012 class.

Short video:(Starts at :49)

http://ballislife.com/nbdl-week-1-mix-w-marcus-lovett-jr-josh-wade-stephen-zimmerman-more/

An tremendous recruiting job by the staff.

Go Lions and welcome Patson!

http://lmubasketball.blogspot.ca/2012/03/welcome-patson-siame.html

pistolpete7
pistolpete7's picture
Steven Adams will be playing

Steven Adams will be playing in the Derby Festival Basketball Classic, which is the night before the Hoop Summit. They were trying to get Nerlens Noel too, but it looks like he chose to play in the Summit instead.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/3/1/2836558/2012-derby-festival-basketball-classic-rosters-released

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Good stuff

Thanks for the find man, wondering why he was not in it. Honestly, am surprised that he would choose to play in this game over the Hoop Summit, which gives one much more exposure. Guess they announced the rosters for this well ahead of time, so I cannot hate on him for honoring a commitment. Really talented roster in that game as well, but it would have been awesome to see Adams match-up with Nerlens Noel, Mitch McGary and Kaleb Tarczewski again.

JunkYardDog
JunkYardDog's picture
update... Fournier whose team

update...

Fournier whose team is playing to avoid relegation, decided to decline invitation and keep on playing with poitier till the end of the season.

Too bad for us, but a great decision for his team (he's the leader and one the best scorer in his team) and it shows us his high degree of professionalism and dedication to his team.

He chooses to stay in france and play crucial games for his franchise (31 march to 7 april : 2 games against paris and nanterre).

RSS: Syndicate content