This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar uknation 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Am not there and only know what I can find on-line, but Session #2 of the 4 EYBL regular season sessions started yesterday in Hampton, VA. Ian Powers is seems to be the expert on the actual game happenings and I am sure he will drop a recap after the weekend is over. Just wanted to give some notes of what I have seen and heard from box scores and internet musings.

• Scout.com has Xavier Rathan-Mayes on the front page and were saying that he and Andrew Wiggins had a nice start to the weekend. Looks like Wiggins had 20 and 6 while Rathan-Mayes put up 15 in a 76-71 win over Mo-Kan Elite. PG Tyler Ennis also put up 12 and 6 assists for CIA Bounce to move to 5-0 in the EYBL. 2013 wing Semilore Ojileye had 27 for Mo-Kan, going 7-9 from 3. Semi is considered to be around the top 50 prospects in his class and is looking at Kansas, Marquette, UCLA, Oregon, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Oklahoma St. and Kansas St. among other schools.
    • I posted an article a couple days ago about Aaron Gordon missing some time with a fractured toe. Looks like he may indeed miss pretty much all of the remaining sessions, possibly being ready for the Peach Jam in July. Jabari Bird looks like he will step up even more than he has in Gordon’s absence as he helped the Oakland Soldiers stay perfect, handing Albany City Rocks their first EYBL loss. Bird scored 20 in the 63-60 victory.
    • Jabari Parker apparently twisted his ankle in his 3rd game in the Minnesota session, sitting out the 4th game as a pre-caution. Not sure if it was more serious or the circumstances behind it, but he did not play in either of Mac Irvin Fire’s first two games, both losses.
    • Each 1 Teach 1 and California Supreme are both now 6-0 in EYBL play. Looks like Dakari Johnson has been a force for E1T1, he had 26 and 8 in a win over St. Louis, than going for 13 and 9 against Georgia Stars. Joel Berry, a 2014 PG, had 23 and 5 assists in the Georgia game as well. Cali Supreme is being led by rising wing Jordan Mathews, PG Parker Jackson-Cartwright and another major riser in 2013, athletic PF Marcus Lee.
    • Houston Hoops continues to look pretty beastly as Kenneth Williams, Derrick Griffin, Justise Winslow and Justin Jackson all went for double figures in a 78-61 win over Athlete First (OK). They are 5-0 and have a pretty favorable schedule this weekend.
    • Heard from Evan Daniels of Scout that Leonard Hamilton, head coach of Florida State, was checking out Andrew Wiggins game. Both of Andrew’s parents are Florida State alums. Also read that both Andrew and Xavier would love Kentucky offers, so FSU is not a lock. They are on the radar, though.
    • Also read from Chris Fisher on 247 sports that John Calipari was checking out James Young of The Family (MI), a scoring wing. Coach K was apparently checking out BABC wing man Wayne Selden. Said that Roy Williams was checking out Troy Williams game going on as I type this.
    • Julius Randle had 21 and 11 this morning and 15 in last nights Texas Titans contest. Moves the Titans to 5-1.
    • Theo Pinson of CP3 (NC) and Emmanuel Mudiay of Texas Pro are two of the top 2014 guard prospects by most accounts. They matched-up with Texas Pro winning 74-66. Pinson had 12 points and 5 boards while Mudiay seemed to have the better game with 23 and 6 assists.
    • Arkansas commit PF Bobby Portis is having a great start to Session #2, averaging 24 and 11 boards in a couple Arkansas Wings victories.
    • Duane Wilson Jr. notched what I believe is highest scoring game thus far in the 2012 EYBL season with 43 points in a 78-76 win over ICP (OR). The 6’3 guard is an early commit to Marquette.

Am sure there is more, but that is just a little break down. If anyone is there or wants to add anything, definitely do so. Will hopefully get more news on some of the top HS prospects in the nation playing at the Nike EYBL.

http://www.nikeeyb.com/Events/eybl-session-2-–-hampton-va

Anton123
    Participant

Thanks for the information, a little bit of feedback on how they all actually played would be great, I mean high school boxscores don’t really tell much about a player

Every time I see Dakari Johnson mentioned I get angry at NBADraft.net for comparing him to Shaq. Comparing a 6-11 slow, developing 16 y.o. to Shaq is painfully worng

uknation
    Participant

Dakari is A lot like Bynum right now

Malcolmx
    Participant

You can’t compare a 16 year old to either of the two right now.

WizardofOz
    Participant

He also reminds me of Bynum from what  I’ve seen.

BleedingBlue
    Participant

I’m just wondering whether Andrew Wiggins actually got 20 points 6 rebounds in 10 minutes or the stats sheet is just incredibly off. ‘Cuz if that’s true then that’s as dominating a performace as any at the high school level.

http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/HC3G3.pdf

uknation
    Participant

I mean Bynum when he was a Jr in hs. Plays like him then not now of course

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Bleeding Blue, I doubt it. The minutes do add up, but I am guessing his got switched with someone else’s. Taking 12 shots and 7 FT’s in 10 minutes just does not make a lot of sense. Plus, seeing that they only won 76-71, plus Semi Ojeleye going for 27 points in 16 minutes, just does not add up. The box score originally had the score being 100-76 Mo-Kan, so these things take a while to become perfect sometimes.

Andrew is awesome and all, but the way he scored 20 just does not add up to it being in 10 minutes. I believe he probably had 19 points in 20 minutes against the Jackson Tigers. His scoring 24 in 30 minutes against Albany City also seems to add up.

But, I am guessing they must have either switched the minutes of Tevin Findlay with Andrew’s. Just judging by past box scores and stats, looks like 25 minutes and 20 points is the likely scenario. That still seems pretty awesome. He is averaging 18.9 through 7 EYBL games, all of which his team has won. Looks like he is indeed the real deal. Than again, from what I saw of him at the Hoop Summit, his play did not seem like a fluke.

From what I have heard, he has little interest of re-classifying and is having fun in HS. At the current pace, he would be 20 February of his freshman year at college, which is not a big deal. I think that Jabari Parker seems to be the only prospect close to him with his overall impact and skill set. Andrew is a really rare athlete though and could effect both sides of the court big time. If he remains on course, looks like a lock to be a top 5 pick in whatever draft he is in, which is a rare thing to say. I am sure most people have him as the odds on favorite for #1 in the 2015 Draft. A lot can happen, but he is really awesome.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

After two sessions of Nike EYBL play, the Canadian players representing CIA Bounce are a perfect 9-0. Every other team has at least one loss, with undefeated teams such as California Supreme, Oakland Soldiers, Albany City Rocks, Houston Hoops and Each 1 Teach getting L’s. Again, was not there, but have some thoughts on the results and what I know of these players.

• Andrew Wiggins is averaging 18 ppg through the first 9 CIA Bounce games. From all reports, he has done just about everything that had people raving about him at the Hoop Summit. Special athlete and seems like a potential star player who is taking that next step up.
    • The CIA Bounce back court of Tyler Ennis and Xavier Rathan-Mayes are seeming to tear it up as well. Ennis’ brother Dylan just transferred from Rice to Villanova, but he is getting scholarships from all over. Also, people have marveled at Rathan-Mayes’ shooting ability. Both are looking to rise up the 2013 rankings. I have heard that Rathan-Mayes’ might have re-classified to 2014, but most seem to have him in 2013 still.
    • ESPN’s Dave Telep tweeted that he believed Tyus Jones is the best PG prospect in the country and it seems like he is having yet another huge EYBL. The crazy thing about the youngster from Minnesota is that he does not turn 16 until May 10. His Howard Pulley team went only 2-3, but Jones put up averages of 23 and 7.2 assists. He also was a major factor for them last year, seems like he has just stepped it up as time goes on. In his last game of the weekend, Jones went off for 37 and 8 in a 76-71 win over Bluff City (TN). If you are not familiar with him, definitely learn more. He is going to be a big name on the scene the next couple of years.
    • The Top 5 teams of each division get automatic entrance to the Peach Jam (which is where the EYBL play-offs go down). 4 teams also have a chance for at large bids. That gives 4 new groups that play a round robin to decide the 8 teams that make the quarter finals. From there, single elimination until a champ is crowned.
    • Glimpse into the top 5 of Group A: Arkansas Wings (7-2, led by 2013 PF Bobby Portis), Team United NC (6-3, led by 2013 wing Sindarius Thornwell and C Kennedy Meeks), BABC (5-4, led by 2013 PG Rene Castro, 2014 SG Wayne Selden), Team Final PA (5-4led by 2013 SG Davon Reed and SF Rondae Jefferson) and Wisconsin Playground (4-5, led by 2013 PG Duane Wilson Jr. and PF Luke Worthington)
    • Glimpse into top 5 of Group B: The Family MI (7-2, led by 2013 wing James Young and SG Elbert Matthews), Indy Spiece (6-3 led by 2013 wing Trevon Bluiett, PG’s Bryson and Brenton Scott, and 2014 PF Trey Lyles), Athlete’s First OK (5-4 led by 2013 G’s Stephen Clark and Jordan Woodward), NJ Playaz (5-4 led by 2013 PG Shane Rector and wing Reggie Cameron), Albany City Rocks (4-5, led by 2013 SG Shadell Millinghaus and PF/C Chinoso Obokoh)
    • Glimpse into top 5 of Group C: All-Ohio Red (8-1, led by 2013 PG Zack Denny and PF Nigel Hayes), California Supreme (8-1, led by 2013 SG Jordan Mathews and PF Marcus Lee, plus 2014 PG Parker Jackson-Cartwright), Each 1 Teach 1 FL (8-1, led by 2014 PG Joel Berry and C Dakari Johnson), Team Texas Titans (8-1, led by 2013 SG Matt Jones, PF Julius Randle and PF/C Damian Jones) and Mac Irvin Fire (6-3, usually led by #1 2013 Jabari Parker who did not play this weekend. In the mean time, led by 2013 G’s Billy Garrett Jr. and Shannon Brown’s brother Sterling. Also 2014 PF/C Jahlil Okafor)
    • Glimpse into top 5 of Group D: CIA Bounce (9-0, 2013 G’s Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Tyler Ennis and #1 2014 SF Andrew Wiggins), Mean Streets IL (8-1, led by 2013 PG Kendrick Nunn and SF Kendall Pollard, plus 2014 PG Tyler Ulis and SF Paul White), Houston Hoops (7-2, led by 2013 SG Keith Frazier, SF Brian Bridgewater, F Derrick Griffin, plus 2014 SF’s Justin Jackson and Justise Winslow), Oakland Soldiers (7-2, first session without Aaron Gordon who might be back for the Peach Jam. Led by 2013 wing Jabari Bird and G’s Tyree/Tyrell Robinson, plus 2014 wing Stanley Johnson, wing Shaqquan Aaron) and Baltimore Elite (led by 2013 G’s Kameron Williams and Daquein McNeil)
    • Theo Pinson and Emmanuel Mudiay both had monster games after their match-up. Pinson dropped 29 points, 10 boards and 4 assists in a 74-60 CP3 win over Georgia Stars. Mudiay put up 31, 8 and 8 in his last game of the weekend for Texas Pro, but lost 69-64 to Nike Team Florida. Looks like a couple of 2014’s top players are certainly putting up numbers in the EYBL. Pinson’s CP3 team is 5-4 and Texas Pro is 2-7, though as stated earlier Texas Pro won the head-to-head.

Again, if anyone knows more definitely feel free to post. Just wanted to give a run down of some of the top future prospects in this event.

M-Eazy
    Participant

I went to the Saturday games to see Troy Williams (goes to my old high school) and Boo Williams team, and no doubt in my mind dude is worthy of the #6 overall ranking just needs major work on being a team player (his HS coaches suck). 

The talk of the tourney was "#22 from CIA Bounce".  It was nice to see Andrew Wiggins ball, it’s just soo easy for him.  Definitely was the best player I saw all weekend.  Jabari Parker wasn’t even playing hard and still making it look easy.

I know my EYBL summary sucks but I’m no scout.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Actually wasn’t playing this weekend. Did you mean Wiggins? Heard Jabari missed the weekend for an award.  

http://www.bluegrasshoops.com/content/nike-eybl-session-2-441/

uknation
    Participant

Jabari didn’t play this weekend. Looks like UK will most likely get 

A&A Harrison 

James young and /or Troy Williams

And Cris Walker if we ever offer him a scholarship. Yep things are looking good in BBN

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login