This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

The Nike EYBL (Elite Youth Basketball League) has its first session April 20-22 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is an AAU league that features 40 top teams amongst the country in 4 separate sessions, with the best teams making the play-offs for one final session in July. It is great exposure for these players and gives them a chance to go up against some of the elite talent in all of HS Basketball going into next season. The Class of 2013 and 2014 should be well represented, with even some 2015 or possibly 2016 players included as well at the U-17 level (does not mean everyone is under 17, I believe, just the highest level).

Players who shined last year were Kyle Anderson, Brandon Ashley, Anthony Bennett, Omar Calhoun, Ricardo Gathers, Jarnell Stokes, Rasheed Sulaimon and Archie Goodwin, among others. Not to mention that a BABC team led by Georges Niang and Nerlens Noel took the title in the season ending Peach Jam. This year should again be full of some of HS basketball’s premier players. Hopefully will break down a few of the top guys and a few teams to look out for.

Using Five-Star Basketball’s current list of top U-17 AAU teams, here is a bit of a breakdown of some of the big teams in the EYBL:

1. Oakland Soldiers (CA):

• F Aaron Gordon (Current #3 in NBADraft.net 2013 rankings)
    • G/F Jabari Bird (#12 in 2013)
    • G Tyree and Tyrell Robinson (Sought after basketball/football twin recruits, 2013)
    • G Shaqquan Aaron (2014)
    • F Stanley Robinson (2014)

4. Team Final (PA):

• F/C Austin Colbert (2013)
    • PG Jaren Sina (2013)
    • G/F Rondae Jefferson (2013)
    • G/F Davon Reed (2013)

5. CP3 All-Stars (NC):

• G Theo Pinson (#6 2014)
    • G Ja’Quel Richmond (2014)
    • F Greg McClinton (2013)
    • G Xavier Mays (2014)

6. CIA Bounce (All Canadians):

• F Andrew Wiggins (#1 2014)
    • G Tyler Ennis (2013, Gatorade POY New Jersey)
    • G Xavier Rathan-Mayes (2014)
    • G Duane Notice (2013)
    • C Tanveer Bhullar (#21 2013, Looks to be in much better shape, 7’3)
    • G RJ Currington (2013)
    • F Isaiah Watkins (2013)

7. Texas Titans (TX):

• G/F Matt Jones (#19 2013, Duke commit)
    • G Grant Troutt (2015)
    • F Jacob Hammond (2014)

9. Mac Irvin Fire (IL):

• F Jabari Parker (#1 2013)
    • F/C Jahlil Okafor (#2 2014)
    • G Billy Garrett Jr. (2013, DePaul commit)

10. Team Penny (TN):

• F Jonathan Williams III (#11 2013)
    • F Nick King (2013)
    • F Austin Nichols (2013)
    • G/F JaJuan Johnson (2013)
    • G Markel Crawford (2013)

11. Team Takeover (DC) (Finished last years regular season undefeated):

• F/C Beejay Anya (#17 2013, reported 7’9 wing span)
    • G Jairus Lyles (2013)
    • F Ishmael Wainright (2013)
    • G Stanford Robinson (2013)
    • F Nick Gorski (2013)

12. Boo Williams (VA):

• G/F Troy Williams (#9 2013)
    • G Anthony Barber (2013)
    • G/F Davon Hall (2014)

13. Mean Streets (IL):

• G Kendrick Nunn (2013)
    • F Paul White (2014)
    • F Kendall Pollard (2013)
    • G Taylor Ulis (2015)
    • G Jaylon Tate (2013)

16. BABC (MA):

• G Wayne Selden (2014)
    • F/C Goodluck Okonoboh (2013)
    • G Jaylen Brantley (2013)
    • G Rene Castro (2013)
    • F Andrew Chrabascz (2013)

18. Long Island Lightning (NY):

• F Kuran Iverson (#24 2013)

19. Nike Baltimore Elite (MD):

• G Kameron Williams (2013)
    • F Mike and Christian Owana (2013)

22. All-Ohio Red (OH):

• F Marc Loving (2013, Ohio State commit)
    • F Nigel Hayes (2013)

23. Playaz Basketball Club (NJ)

• G Isaiah Briscoe (2015)
    • C Neville Fincher (2013)
    • F Mike Young (2013)
    • F Reggie Cameron (2013)

Sure there are more big time players I am missing out side of the top 25, but it just gives a look into how much talent will be in the EYBL this year. Other players who I believe are playing in the EYBL are:

• PG Tyus Jones, Howard Pulley (MN) (#7 2014)
    • C Dakari Johnson, Each 1 Teach 1 (FL) (#3 2014)
    • G/F Kejuan Johnson, Each 1 Teach 1 (2015)
    • PG Joel Berry, Each 1 Teach 1 (2013)
    • SG/SF Justise Winslow, Houston Hoops (TX) (#8 2014)
    • SG Keith Frazier, Houston Hoops (#18 2013)
    • PF Tony Trocha, Houston Hoops (2013, sleeper from Colombia)
    • PF Khadeem Lattin, Houston Hoops (2014)
    • F Brian Bridgewater, Houston Hoops (2013)
    • G/F Justin Jackson, Houston Hoops (2014)
    • F Derrick Griffin, Houston Hoops (2013, committed to Texas A&M for football)

AAU Team Rankings: http://fivestarbasketball.com/top25/66-17U-2012-04-18

EYBL Website: http://www.nikeeyb.com/eybl

Sure there will be more updates to come, just wanted to give a rundown.

So raspy
    Participant

Lot of big names. No Harrison twins?

n that 7’9 wingspan is insanity if true

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Play for the Houston Defenders, I believe. They are an adidas team (yes, the shoe companies run this thing). I asked Beejay’s HS coach if it was true and all he said was "I don’t know, but his arms are LONG". Think that he also has wide shoulders, but the dude has serious reach. He is listed usually as 6’8-6’9, but he seems like a definite center prospect. Got some PT last year for Takeover, think he has improved quite a bit. Interesting prospect to say the least.

Really want to see how Andrew Wiggins does this year. Think he was the second banana on CIA Bounce last year behind Anthony Bennett, believe he averaged around double figure scoring. Was kind of inconsistent though, but one week I think he put up 29. Should be vastly improved this year. Know Jabari Parker and Julius Randle (I think it missed his name on the Texas Titans, strange as I typed all of this) were both awesome last year and Aaron Gordon also did very well. For 2014, Tyus Jones probably had the best EYBL out of any prospect in that class last season. Hope that Dakari Johnson plays, would love to see how he looks after sitting out a year in his transfer to Monteverde.

ipowers
      Participant

The Houston Defenders are an Under Armour team

So raspy
    Participant

being from NY, im interested in seeing if Kuran Iverson has made any strides in his game

Future_Scout board

is there a chance that aaron gordon ends up being better than jabari, or is jabari a lock? gordon looks nasty on those highlight videos (which is all im able to see, sadly)

So raspy
    Participant

Gordon’s the more explosive athlete. He would have to raise his skill level on the perimeter considerably to be where parker is in terms of creating shots for himself on the wing, but stranger things have happened lol he’s a beast tho 

Hale
    Participant

Has anyone seen Tyus Jones play? He plays like 20 minutes from my house, but I have never bothered to check him out.

paradigmn
    Participant

Tyus Jones is DOPE!!! He absolutely killed it in last years EYBL

http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/2011/09/player-profile-tyus-jones-class-of-2014.html

As far as this years EYBL…#1 team in the country 17U Oakland Soldiers are obviously the favorites…especially after loosing to Nerlens Noel and BABC last year in the semi’s.

Also saw the post on the front of NBA Draft.Net that USA basketball has selected 24 players for tryouts for 18U National team 

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u18/12_mu18_invitees.html

One players on that list that doesn’t get a lot of publicity….MONTREZL HARRELL…The Virgina Tech commit just killed it at the Reginoal game of the 2012 Jordan Brand Classic…went for 22 points, 12 rebounds & 7 blocks!!!

Hale
    Participant

Thanks paradigm. He looks really good. Apparently he led Apple Valley to 21 wins, which is impressive because I’m pretty sure before the conference switch they were awful. If you hear anything about Andre Wallace (Eden Prairie guard) let me know wht you think of him, he’s going to be a Jr. next year and supposedly he has a couple D1 looks.

Malcolmx
    Participant

The Long island lightning have a player named Dayshon smith who is not highlighted above that will definitely kill it this weekend. I feel the Soldiers,CIA bounce and Takeover are stacked.

Here is a look at the Dayshon Smith kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hxrGjiPNsI

Malcolmx
    Participant

Here is some more film on the kid.Going up against Steven Adams,Adonis Filer,Sam cassell Jr.,Myles Davis. All high major ballers and he killed it against them. I feel this might be EYBL’s breakout player http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLJT0Pu-PH0&feature=fvwrel

M-Eazy
    Participant

Remember Jabari Parker will be in this tourney too playing for Mac Irvin Fire

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

It took out Texas Titans and Mac Irvin Fire, but I had both of them listed. Texas of course has Julius Randle and Matt Jones (who is committed to Duke). Mac Irvin does indeed have who many feel is the #1 prospect in HS basketball in Jabari Parker. Aaron Gordon is a beast, but Parker’s court vision seems to give him the step up. Also, Mac Irvin has Jahlil Okafor (#2 in 2014) and a nice PG in Billy Garrett Jr. (committed to DePaul).

Bill Walton’s Knees
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Mickey Mitchell (2015, Prestonwood Christian Academy, TX) plays for the Titans as well.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

He plays HS ball with Julius Randle, but he was not listed on the Titans U-17 roster, at least on fivestar basketball. They showed a guard named Grant Troutt as the only 2015 on their U-17 roster. At closer inspection, Mickey Mitchell is on their U-16 roster and I am guessing that he may very well end up moving up to play U-17 as well. Just did not list him on the U-17 roster as of now. May end up seeing him, know he has a lot of game. Also have heard good things about fellow U-16 teammates King McClure and Jesse Pistokache. 

TheArtistPaysthePrice
    Participant

Has a kid that will make noise next year. Right now he ‘s not a big deal but his stock will continue to rise. Maurice O’field a 6-5 shooting guard, crazy athletic and nice stroke from mid range and deep. His best basketball is ahead of him, has made great strides in ball handling and passing. Had to sit out most of this highschool year at John Hay in Cleveland. Class 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMwksNr9N4s

Can finish with either hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVMA-afnKzU

"Nigel Hayes was a monster down low, newly acquired Maurice O’Field (11 points) was a human highlight reel"

http://buckeyeprep.blogspot.com/2012/04/all-ohio-nike-cup-championship-sunday.html

A.I.to76ers
    Participant

eh maurice ofield is really good. gr8 athlete. Kendrick nunn is a smooth lefty.. luv his game

M-Eazy
    Participant

Just a FYI they changed the EYBL website it’s now http://nikeeyb.com.  Box scores up…

M-Eazy
    Participant

Just a FYI they changed the EYBL website it’s now http://nikeeyb.com.  Box scores up…

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Actually is the new website and skips past an annoying intro. The box scores are indeed up, though. 5 teams out of 40 went 4-0 in the first session and they are:

Group A: N/A

Group B: Albany City Rocks (Still fixing a few box score glitches, but the standouts seemed to be Shadell Millinghaus, Chinoso Obokoh and Manny Suarez. Big win over home town Howard Pulley Panthers)

Group C: California Supreme (Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Jordan Mathews among standouts), Each 1 Teach 1 (Dakari Johnson put up some nice numbers, along with Joel Berry. Kejuan Johnson, one of the top players in 2015, also seemed to get some decent PT)

Group D: CIA Bounce (Xavier Rathan-Mayes averaged 18 ppg I believe, with Andrew Wiggins averaging 17. Think Tyler Ennis has been running point and must love having these two), Oakland Soldiers (Jabari Bird apparently hit a big game winner against last years champ, BABC. Aaron Gordon looks quiet in box scores, but my guess is he revs up as the sessions go on. Saw that 2014 player Stanley Johnson put up some nice numbers as well)

Other standouts from what I saw of box scores (site looks to be down as I type this):

• Mac Irvin: They went 3-1, with Jabari Parker missing their last game (a blow out win). Parker seemed to be putting up close to 20 ppg. Jahlil Okafor also looked to be doing well.
    • Team Texas Titans: Also 3-1, Julius Randle also looked like he was doing work. No Mickey Mitchell, probably playing U16 but could indeed move up in later sessions.Matt Jones looks like he is going to have another strong EYBL, much like last season.
    • Houston Hoops: Did not see Tony Trocha’s name on a box score, but Justin Jackson, Keith Frazier, Justise Winslow and Derrick Griffin all looked like they had strong weekends. Think they went 3-1 as well.
    • The Family (MI): James Young led the weekend in scoring at 26.7 ppg. Do not think they did very well in the won-loss column, but Young and Austin Price appeared to be the bulk of their team scoring. Both are 2013 guards.
    • Howard Pulley (MN): Tyus Jones was one of the big stars of the weekend. Think his team split their 4 games, but the kid looks like he is putting up big numbers again this season. Strong possibility he might be the best PG regardless of class, impressive prospect.
    • Team Takeover (DC): Looks like they have a strong team again, emphasis on defense. Ishamail Wainright (spelled his name wrong earlier, though that was how they spelled it on Fivestar Basketball) is a prospect I had heard praised for his defense before and lived up to it. He held Andrew Wiggins to 2-6 shooting in a narrow loss to CIA Bounce. He was originally committed to Missouri but I think he opened his search.

I am sure I left some people out but these were just a few noteables. Here are some MaxPreps articles about the weekend:

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/NrxS4WLln0CA8hnBdGT6yw/jabari-bird-provides-memorable-moment-in-eybl-opener.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/VwtN0pGfmUa3n8Zo9P-3lQ/tyus-jones-is-the-star-of-this-eybl-stop.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/c-Yph5P70kWw-lN3qpxj-g/eybl-notes–joel-berry-helps-e1t1-go-3-0.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/CS90C3MZ0EGjsAhISjfzMg/little-big-man-tahj-shamsid-deen-catching-kentuckys-eye.htm

Also, the Houston Defenders are indeed an Under Armor team, my apologies for not researching more thoroughly.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

The first of four sessions got rolling in Minneapolis, Minnesota with fourty Nike sponsored travel teams being split up into four divisions, each team playing four games over the weekend.  Unlike in years past this first session of the third year of the league takes place during a NCAA live period so the players got a chance to perform in front of Division I coaches that were on the hunt for talent.  Albany City Rocks(NY), Cal Supreme(CA), E1T1(FL), CIA Bounce(CAN), Oakland Soldiers(CA), and Houston Hoops(TX) all finished the weekend with 4-0 records, while Mokan Elite(KS), The Family(MI), Texas Titans(TX), All Ohio Red(OH), ICP Elite(OR), Mac Irvin(IL), Howard Pulley(MN), and Mean Streets(IL) wound up 3-1.

LEAGUE LEADERS

Scoring

Kameron Williams Baltimore Elite 27.3ppg
    James Young The Family 26.8ppg
    Roschon Prince ICP Elite 21.0ppg
    Stephen Clark Athletes First 20.0ppg
    Jordan Matthews California Supreme 19.5ppg

Rebounding

Luke Worthington Wisconsin Playground 9.8rpg
    Shadell Millinghaus Albany City Rocks 9.0rpg
    Jade Mclendon Southern Stampede 8.3rpg
    Jordan Martin Saint Louis Eagles 8.3rpg
    Semilore Ojeleye Mokan Elite 8.0rpg

Assists

Parker Cartwright California Supreme 5.8apg
    Tyus Jones Howard Pulley 5.8apg
    Tayshawn Scott Baltimore Elite 5.8apg
    Dayshawn Watkins Arkansas Wings 5.5apg
    Tyler Ulis Mean Streets 5.5apg

Steals

Clayton Cluster Mokan Elite 3.0spg
    Douglas Brooks E1T1 3.0spg
    Dayshon Smith NY Lightning 2.5spg
    Joel Berry E1T1 2.0spg
    Jordan Woodward Athletes First 3.0spg

Blocks

Derrick Griffin Houston Hoops 3.8bpg
    Chinoso Obokoh Albany City Rocks 2.8bpg
    Beejay Anya Team Takeover 2.8bpg
    Jade Mclendon Southern Stampede 2.8bpg
    Damian Jones TX Titans 2.5bpg

http://courtcred.com/content/entry/nike_eybl_session_1_leaders/

Other noteables:

• Confirmed that Xavier Rathan-Mayes and Andrew Wiggins were at 18 and 17 per game respectively for CIA Bounce (Canadian Players).
    • Tyus Jones was at 18 ppg while also averaging 5.8 apg (tied for EYBL lead with Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Tayshawn Scott)
    • 4 teams are scoring over 70 ppg after the first session: The Family (Michigan, which actually went 3-1 with James Young putting up big scoring numbers), Howard Pulley (Minnesota, Tyus Jones starring), CIA Bounce and Houston Hoops. Undefeated California Supreme has only given up 45.5 ppg, while averaging 68.8.
    • Kameron Williams is averaging 27.3 ppg for 2-2 Baltimore Elite, while averaging 5.3 triples per game (with a 58.3% 3PT%)
    • Jabari Parker is averaging 16 ppg and 7 rpg in the 3 games he played for Mac Irvin Fire. He did not play in there last game, an 83-52 blowout of Wisconsin Playground. He has been 17-36 from the field, with his only poor shooting game coming against Team Final (PA), where he only shot 1-9 in a 57-45 victory. Mac Irvin’s lone loss was to last years champs from BABC (MA).
    • Parker’s AAU teammate, Jahlil Okafor, is considered by many to be a top 5 prospect in the class of 2014. He is averaging 9.3 ppg on 73.7% FG through 4 games.
    • After sitting out as a transfer to Monteverde, another one of 2014’s top big men seemed to be back on the scene with a vengeance. Dakari Johnson averaged 13.8 and 8 for 4-0 Each 1 Teach 1 out of Florida. PG Joel Berry, another 2014 prospect, also had a strong weekend for the team.
    • Houston Hoops was another team that went undefeated and appear to be stacked. Keith Frazier, Derrick Griffin and Brian Bridgewater are all highly ranked 2013 players, while Justise Winslow and Justin Jackson are two players found in most people’s top 20 prospects of 2014. Khadeem Lattin is another intriguing 2014 player for the team and Colombian Tony Trocha was listed as a possible roster addition. Could be contenders.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login