This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar NCarmean18 11 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    NCarmean18
    Participant

Andrew Nicholson (Orlando Magic) –

Andrew Nicholson to me is having arguably the best showing so far during this summer curcuit out of any prospect who has performed.  Nicholson is scoring, rebounding, and playing excellent defense.  In all honesty, the Magic may have gotten one of the best value picks at #19 overall with Nicholson.  Now, I’d like to talk about different parts of his game.

• Scoring – Nicholson was an intriguing prospect coming out of college because of his ability to spread the floor as a power forward.  He had the ability to shoot from the perimeter, but he also had the size, strength, and athleticism to score down low, which he has been working to perfection during his first two games of the NBA summer league.  He’s playing really efficient basketball, shooting around 50 percent from the floor, and around 69 percent from the free throw line, which is a pretty solid number coming from a rookie big.  He has shown his ability to shoot from longer ranges, but more importantly, his post game is looking much improved and he seems very comfortable playing down low.  

• Rebounding – Nicholson has shown some very solid rebounding numbers.  He’s averaging 9 per game, but in his debut game he tore down 12 to add to his 24 points.  He’s always under the glass, boxing out, and going for the ball.  His presence is similar to that of Kenneth Faried’s from the Denver Nuggets, especially because of the way he is always hustling and trying to make plays for his his team.  Nicholson has shown signs of being able to rebound off of his teammates misses as well.  

• Defense – Nicholson has played stellar defense so far.  He has great footwork, and has really made it tough on the opposing teams bigs to score over him.  He has shown the ability to block shots, something that will make Orlando very happy, especially considering that Dwight Howard is on his way out of Orlando.  
    draft2017
    Participant

From what you saw what do you think he needs to improve?

NCarmean18
    Participant

It’s really tough to say this early, I mean it is the summer league.  However, I have loved every bit of what Andrew Nicholson has done so far for Orlando, and by the summer league standards I would say his production is above average, and he does not need to get any better to play in the summer league.  The NBA is a different story though, which is why it was an awkward stance for me to go about your question.  

Basically, he has room to improve, but there is no doubt in my mind that you should be very pleased with his production so far.  

B Free
    Participant

He is clearly one of the main reasons that they got rid of Ryan Anderson.

NCarmean18
    Participant

I mean, Orlando was going to lose Ryan Anderson.  New Orleans was going to sign him to an offer sheet, and they didn’t feel as though his production was worth the amount that the Hornets were going to offer him.  They didn’t "get rid" of Ryan Anderson because Andrew Nicholson is an upincoming superstar, but he certainly made them feel comfortable in trading him away for a young producting big in Ayon.  

In the end, Nicholson will become the starting 4 and O’Quinn/Ayon will be productive at the 5 spot whenever Orlando trades Dwight Howard.  

draft2017
    Participant

I have a question, who would you take right now Tristan Thompson or Andrew Nicholson?

NCarmean18
    Participant

Right now, I’d probably have to take Andrew Nicholson.  That’s just my personal preference.  To me, Nicholson has a really well developed low-post game, can hit the perimeter jump shot with great efficiency, and is an excellent rebounder and shot-blocker.  Tristan Thompson has the better potential, but right now I think he isn’t as polished on the offensive side of the ball, and he isn’t as good or aggressive on the glass as Nicholson is.  Thompson is a very good defender though, and I think he beats Nicholson in that category.  

So, Thompson has more potential, but Nicholson has already developed into a good solid player.  As of right now, I’d take Nicholson.  Ask me again in 5 years, and I may have a different answer for you. 

Good question.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login