2012 Look Ahead
Since the end of the 2011 Draft is approaching in a matter of days I figure I would take a look ahead to this stacked class that may go down as the best.
- Harrison Barnes- Consensus #1? Proved ALL doubters wrong after a slow start, but will he maintain the same level of play on a stacked roster this year.
- Anthony Davis- P-word will come up with this guy only because he was a PG in HS who happened to grow 7 inches or so. How much of an impact will he be in coach Cal's system & will he dominate.
- Jared Sullinger- Proved he is a man of his word, but was it really because he wanted a Nat'l title or was it because of the lockout rumors. How much of a hit will his stock take this year.
- Perry Jones III- Has a chance to redeem himself for not living up to Fr. expectations, but how much effect will the suspension have on his play, we seen what happened to Selby.
- Quincy Miller- Was considered a Top 5 guy potentially a #1, but who knows his ceiling now coming off a major knee injury.
- Austin Rivers- Top 5 Lock, deadliest scorer to be eligible for this draft. Will he work on his game to become a NBA 1 or 2 which it will come down to.
- Jeremy Lamb- 1st Round talent, but will he standout this upcoming season to stay in Lotto discussions.
- Terrence Jones- Lotto pick when he comes out. May have hurt himself on losing out on $ but it shouldn't be that bad, because he never had it from the start. Another year with Cal can only make him a better player.
- Kendall Marshall- Will be the #1 PG heading into the season, but how long will he hold the spot down with Wayns on his heels.
- John Henson- Will he be better then advertised in a UNC uniform once he make it & can he shake off the Warrick comparisons.
- Tyler Zeller- Lock for the Lotto. Solid play all season long & we will be talking Top 5 heading into June.
- Maalik Wayns- Can be the #1 PG off the board but he has a ways to go to knock Marshall off.
- John Jenkins- Best shooter in the class, but will he become more then that.
- Brad Beal- Well rounded player who will be around for many many years to come.
- Thomas Robinson- Morris twins out the way sky will be the limit for his production on the collegiate level.
- William Buford- How much higher can his stock go with all the younger talent coming out also.
- Marquis Teague- Break you down off the dribble type of PG who I expect not to have outrageous scoring numbers due to his supporting cast, should become a more complete guard.
- C.J. Leslie- Good as gone. Has nothing around him to make a tourney run to even consider staying another year.
- Mason Plumlee- Not the same guy we seen as a Fr. who gave us thoughts as a Lotto guy. Been very productive on the college level which is a plus. Don't see him being your typical Dukie on the NBA level.
- Michael Gilchrist- Year ago was rated the #1 guy in HS. A year in college will only help you remember why.
- Adonis Thomas- Could be in discussions as the best SF prospect heading into the draft with his already made NBA body
- Doron Lamb- Returning to fine tune his game which is a plus but it would have not been a mistake to leave early.
I wouldn't necesarilly say PJ3 didn't live up to his Fr. expecatations. He even exceeded some people's expectations. He was considered raw coming out of HS, and the numbers he put up I pretty much expected from him. But I think he'll make a big leap next year.
I like this post alot but you said Kendall Marshal is the #1 point guard ( I do agree )but nbadraft.net has Myck Kobongo and Marquis Teague higher then him and Austin Rivers is a legit SG i dont see why people say he is a point he is 6'4 (height of the two main shooting guards in the NBA finals Terry and Wade ) and Brad Beal is the same hieght and not even questioned about being a point .
I really love Perry Jones, but there were still knocks on him from others.
Yes Marshall is the #1 PG IMO with all the buzz, not because I want him to be but because he has played himself into that spot.
Kabongo will not come out.....Teague is my fav PG in this class but I view Wayns as the #1 PG.
I think Rivers is a 2 but CAN be a 1 if he chooses to work on it.
This is just me, I don't think all the guys on this list will be in this draft. I fact, I don't wanna call 2012 a strong draft because we don't know what could happen in a year. I rather wait till maybe the season and see what's going on. Some of these guys might be doing the Perry Jones and coming back.
Bkknickfan you might be right, but I honestly think the only reason so many people came back was because of the lockout, and not getting paid for a year. I think you can except 80% of these players to enter if they live up to expectations, I think it will still be a strong class even if some dont enter
Quincy Miller will be a top 3 pick wont be shock if he gos #1.
Kendall Marshall he will be the number 1 PG taken if he work on that jump shot.
Watch out for my boys Aston Gibbs(PITT) and Brandon Paul(ILL).
Sorry to say this again but that Anthony Davis kid is a bit overrated.
if the baylor boys went 1-2...jones could be such a dynamic force in college basketball, and he has all the tools nba scouts look for, quincey miller is a flat out stud if he comes back and plays well off the injury baylor will be a dominate team
Tony Wroten - best pg prospect, 6ft6 amazing handles, leathery smooth passing...SWAGGER
Renardo Sidney - can he shake off the "cancer" label/conditioning shortcomings?
Kris Joseph - polished/less explosive Andre Igoudala?
Jeff Taylor - what Gerald Green could have looked like if he went to college?
LeBryan Nash - 1 & done right up there with Gilchrist and Barnes when all said and done.
Michael Carter Williams - Syracuse Fans you gotta dandy, best player they got in this year. Christmas is good this kids special.
Reggie Bullock - steps his game up a big notch this year, more athletic Cj Miles
Keala King - Gilbert Arenas 2.0/lankier
Ray McCallum - I can already see the Sportscenter Hype with this kid during this season pumping on the kid briinging a nonfactor team to a difference
Abdul Gaddy - can he come back from injury?
Rodney Wright - Chris Wright/Dayton 2.0?
your making it sound like some of those guys are top 5 picks that could be franchise type of guys. Not all of them will turn out like you think .It could turn out like this
Tony Worten =Julyan Stone who is late 2nd round
Jeff Taylor = a Gerald Green (D-League)
Keala King is Gilbert Arenas2.0 ? ummmmm no Gilbert before injuries was in MVP voting
McAdoo could also be another lotto.
Does anyone have tim hardaway jnr as a late first rounder or second rounder ?
I actually freestyled the whole thing so if I forgot a couple like Nash which is a major ut-oh my bad.
LeBryan Nash- One & Done hands down Lock for Lotto. Physical specimen is what he is.
James McAdoo- Will not be a one & done guy, sorry but it is true, 3 year guy at the least.
Tony Wroten- Only way I see him in this class is if he is ineligible which I think he will be that guy who pops up to the surface at the end of the summer. (Be on the lookout for the eligibilty thread soon).
Abdul Gaddy- Is a guy I love but what has he shown on the collegiate level yet to come out especially with a stacked class just to become a 2nd Round guy?
Peyton Siva- I know a couple of you guys may say well he warrants consideration, well yea he does, but he has to beat out a lot of guys just to get 1st Round consideration. Again why leave with a stacked class when you can be the man the following year?
Renardo Sidney- Has nothing to gain as a NBA prospect right now. STAY STAY STAY get your education to fall back on because you have killed yourself out of 1st Round discussions all because you are a headcase.
Reggie Bullock- Has to show more which will be hard to do with a stacked class.
and you didn't talk about international prospects... evan fournier, rudy gobert, neto, nogeira or satoransky...
Next year's draft looks absurdly good. Most of these guys will come out, just like every year but this one practically everyone comes out. You can go anywhere top 7 or 9 potentially next year and come away with a potential All Star. Would Vesley or Kawhi even be in the discussion before 10 next year?
P.Jones didnt live up to expectations. He was expected to lead them to the tourney and be in the running for player of the year as well as first team all conference. He didnt exceed any expectations and didnt live up to any as well.
Sullinger is one of the Few players who i think came back because he wanted to. He said he would stay more than a year even when he was in H.S
Just because the site has someone as a higher pick than someone else doesn't mean its a lock. It's this sites opinion based on what they think a player will get picked at this point
Gilbert wasn't even thought to be a future MVP candidate when he was aupcoming soph in college so its not outlandish
MaCadoo could be a one and done because of how good UNC will be and how much of his weaknesses will be masked ala Marvin Williams
Bumping this up now that it is 2012 time.......
2011 has shown us there are no absolute guaranteed 1st/2nd Round guys for the matter. This will be a very interesting projection process after watching this past class.
There are Guaranteed guys for the first round( they are the guys who everyone knows are lotto picks like Sullinger,Barnes,P.Jones etc
There are guys also we say are Lotto picks now, but will become irrelevant come draft time.
Yep and there are Guarantees. you're point was there are no Guarantees which isn't true. every year there are plenty of guys who were gurantees who ended up going lotto or first round
Where do you get the basis for McAdoo and Kabongo not being 1 and dones?
What will McAdoo do with a STACKED UNC roster that Marvin Williams did to become a one & done prospect?
Kabongo must have the same advisory personel as Joseph if that's what you are telling me. I believe he will be a smart kid & stay 2 years. He has a lot of maturing to do physically as well as learning on the court. All he does is pass & force passes not knocking his abilities as a NBA prospect but he has to do something on the court other than pass the ball well.
I can understand McAdoo not being one and done if he decides he wants to come back and play more ala Davis but just like Davis/Marvin he will have the option to get drafted first round even if he doesn't do alot .
Kabongo could go after one year and go first round(better pro prospect as a pg than Corey. I would put my money that he will go just like the rest of the recent findley players ( Avery,Cory,Tristan). Recent history shows that the smart money is on him leaving
These are guess that have the best chance to drop
Not saying they will but they all have the best chance imo
my top 5 prediction for next year draft:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers - Harrison Barnes
2. Charlotte Bobcats - Anthony Davis
3. Phoenix Suns - Perry Jones III
4. Minnesota Timberwolves - Jeremy Lamb
5. Detroit Pistons - Jared Sullinger