2012 Jordan Brand Classic on ESPN right now!!!

paradigmn
paradigmn's picture
2012 Jordan Brand Classic on ESPN right now!!!

Game should be on ESPN for all United States viewers right now!!!

Here is a quick run down of the rosters and other interesting info about the event.

http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/2012/04/2012-jordan-brand-classic.html

Onions
Onions's picture
Anyone else extremely

Anyone else extremely underwhemed by Tony Parker everytime he plays?

BruinSteve
BruinSteve's picture
Tony Parker

Tony Parker is a back to the basket banging center, which isn't highlighted when guards fastbreak all the time and only throw it to big men for alley oops.

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
Can anyone explain to me why

Can anyone explain to me why Rodney Purvis dropped so low in the rankings? He is a top 10 player imo

uknation
uknation's picture
Parker tries to shoot too

Parker tries to shoot too many jumpers lately (even in H.S)

pohani komarac
ayone have idea where to find

anyone have idea where to find stats for international game? thanks!

3-6 Mafia
nerlens doesn't project as an

nerlens doesn't project as an nba C does he?

cuss if he does unibrow should too

and i know he's pf/c, but a lot of people doubt him as a C. noel should be doubted

3-6 Mafia
what is isaiah austin's

what is isaiah austin's ceiling?

dolla130
I think the best player on

I think the best player on the west squad is Alex poythress he's quietly having the best game on that team, Shabazz is a NUT he hasn't passed the ball once and his jumper doesn't look good at all, also Rodney purvis is a problem real quick and has tons of potential on the defensive end with his quick hands

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Anything surprising happening?

I am Canada-demned from watching said game. Anything interesting happening? How is Steven Adams looking? Know that this roster appeared to be a little bit more East tinged, but with Shabazz Muhammad nearly always killing everyone in these things, who knows? Just wondering if any news worthy things were happening that we maybe did not already know about these players, or if anyone was having a particularly strong/poor showing?

Onions
Onions's picture
The east's bench +/- must be

The east's bench +/- must be like -40.

tuck243
tuck243's picture
I'm big on Bazz and Kyle

Especially Kyle... I think once he understands pace and get a consistent jumper he will be a problem in the NBA...

fliptonn
Kentucky

those kentucky boys are lookin pretty good out there. goodwin and poythress are playin great

tuck243
tuck243's picture
Other than Kyle

there aren't ANY PG's in this game... That's why this is so boring...

3-6 Mafia
"those kentucky boys are

"those kentucky boys are lookin pretty good out there. goodwin and poythress are plain great"

i know, they will be top 5 even without bennet, idk why im getting negged for this. specially when orchestrated by Cal.

fliptonn
future scout

top 5 is pretty hard to do. if they get bennett i think its very possible. but right now they dont have bennett, they dont really have a bench, and they have an unproven point guard, so its hard to put them preseason top 5 based on 3 incoming freshmen and kyle wiltjer.

tuck243
tuck243's picture
Future_Scout

Don't feel bad... I'm sure I would get negged for saying I love JESUS CHRIST...

Wreckless
Wreckless's picture
Steven Adams runs the floor

Steven Adams runs the floor really well.. He's not going to be just given minutes at Pitt next year but he'll be ok. I predict a solid freshman season for him then off to the league.

3-6 Mafia
for real, are there any 3

for real, are there any 3 point shooters in the game? i was thinking about how bad the shooting's been, and the announcer just said 6/31 both teams combined.

oh damn, 2 point game

3-6 Mafia
not to mention i don't think

not to mention i don't think i've seen a single jumpshot that made me say, "damn that J is pretty".

off topic: one of my fave jumpers coming up in this class is yogi ferell's, J looks wet

Shanetaylor95
Tarczewski looked really good

Tarczewski looked really good

Taylor Gang Mike
Taylor Gang Mike's picture
Steven Adams isnt gonna get

Steven Adams isnt gonna get minutes???? haha thats dumb to say, they have Taylor at the 4, and at the 5 is my boy Malcolm Gilbert and Zana, they are okay but im sure Steve will start

alex23
alex23's picture
shabazz

shabazz is a great player with so much potential but he has to use his right hand more often he barely went right in this game thats the only reason why im a bit worried on how he will do i college

Harbinger
Harbinger's picture
As I said earlier Noel is

As I said earlier Noel is alot of hype bazz is stronger then him and I think can be a great player and As I said earlier he has the upside to play 1-4 but he has to pass the ball more then what he does I mean doesnt "As I said earlier.I wouldnt say its the all star game because even in AAU game he played against marcus smart he was hurt and still wouldnt pass up the ball he would get alot of an assit if he learned to pass more.UCLA I think will make him a better player its a few gaurds in the nba jru,russel,darren, who learned to play the point in college those 3 were good scorers two were sgs.So playing at ucla should raise his iq and feel for the game molding him to become the sg everyone knows he could become right hand and all.Last but not least with the teammates he has he will learn how to play off the ball which will help him alot.

when it comes to kentucky poythress looked the best no fan of kentucky but this guy is scary he had no problem dunking it over anybody or going head to head with anybody off the dribble and at his size thats an advantage.This is(the nba) a league where if your a sf and can create off the dribble you wiill be around for a while.

WizKid
WizKid's picture
Lol you guys really negged

Lol you guys really negged Tuck for that haha

akhan786
akhan786's picture
I caution everyone from

I caution everyone from making so many judgements off an All Star game...

Some types of players look horrible in this type of setting.

And others look amazing in it as well.

I'll reserve my judgement until the season rolls around.

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
The most impressive player i

The most impressive player i think is Tarczewski..This kid is going to be very very special....He's aggressive,athletic,he has a nba body,plays the way a big man should play...He might challenge Shabazz and Noels for tbeing the 1st pick next year...

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Right now i think only

Right now i think only Shabazz can start on a nba team today...But i love the upside of Tarczewski ,Adams and Noel....

dolla130
No the hell Shabazz cant

No the hell Shabazz cant start on any nba team, he's an avg athlete and a slasher who only goes left and can't and will have trouble creating his shots he's not gonna be able to overpower nba defenders like he does in high school

Harbinger
Harbinger's picture
He should be stronger by that

He should be stronger by that time^.

I think he will be one of the most powerful guards on the next level.I think thats a lost art in the nba not to many guards lift heavy.Brandon jennings said he would refer not put on alot of muscle because he doesnt want the muscle to effect his game or speed.

surve
surve's picture
gotta give a shout out to

gotta give a shout out to Tokoto.

not a Duke fan...but why are all the announcers saying Sulaiman is a 4 year player? he looks good to me. I think he will be on the boards by his sophomore year. they compare him to Nolan Smith, but if Smith wouldve played in a different system or if he wouldve been the full time PG instead of Scheyer, he likely wouldve been gone by his junior year.

Poythress and Goodwin have some of the most NBA potential of all the players in the game.

Outside of my UNC boys....guys that I will likely be some of my personal favorites....Purvis, Ledo, House, and Grant.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
I just watched this game on

I just watched this game on ESPN3 and I have to say, it was a pretty crappy/boring game. Each team had about 25 turnovers, too many missed free-throws, and a ton of missed jumpers. As much as I love Bazz, he is my favorite prospect, the guy needs to learn to pass the ball. I think he had 1 assist in the McDonalds AA, Nike Hoop Summit, and Jordan Brand Classic combined. Nerlens Noel is a terrific shot-blocker, better than Anthony Davis because of his timing and footwork but he's not anywhere near the offensive player that Davis is. Does anybody see Nerlens Noel becoming anything other than Marcus Camby / Dikembe Mutombo?

How does a guy that averaged about 12PPG in high school while going 22-8 become the #1 ranked player in the nation?

Guys that really impressed me:

Rodney Purvis (NC State): This guy is a bull-dog. He doesn't give up, he plays hard, and he wants to win. Hopefully he could grow to about 6'5, which I'm sure he will. He has a nose for the ball on offense and knows how to score. 22 points shooting 10-13.

Tony Parker (Undeclared) and Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona): These guys are relentless. I don't think either of them had a play called for them all night but they still got their own. They play completely different styles but both of them are going to be terrific college players if they play like this every night. Parker had 12 boards with 8 points and Kaleb had 14pts and 10 rebs.

Alex Poythress (Kentucky): He's athletic, he plays defense, he plays hard, plays as a team player, and knows how to play. He reminds me a lot of Micheal Kidd-Gilchrist. 6'7 with long arms, he's going to be a very good player under Calipari's system. Not very polished offensively but the fact that he has such a great motor can really help him at the next level. Hustle guys are always fun to watch in college. 16 points, 4 rebounds, 7-8 FG.

J.P. Tokoto (UNC): Just like Poythress, this guy is athletic and he plays hard. He scored the first 6 points of the game and sort of disappeared after that. He had some nice dunks in transition. He's not a finished product and will not be a one-and-done in college. He'll probably play back-up to Bullock next season and we'll have to wait until his sophomore year to see what he really has. 8 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals.

Archie Goodwin (Kentucky): One of the more finished products in his class, Goodwin can do almost anything. At 6'5 - 6'6, he plays shooting guard. He defends, he's athletic, he's a good ball-handler, can shoot, can slash, can pass, can rebound. He really has no weaknesses and he put his skill-set on display last night. The only knock I have on him is the same as 90% of high school players, he needs to bulk up. That shouldn't be a problem though, with his game already complete, he can spend extra time in the weight-room. He's most likely a one-and-done and can be a very good player in college. 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals.

Steven Adams (Pittsburgh): This guy is big. Not only that, he plays big. He plays hard and doesn't give up on plays. He goes after rebounds and isn't content with the number of rebounds he already has. He's a good defender down-low and his strong body really helps him push around thinner guys (Nerlens Noel). He's a kind of guy that can anchor a defense down-low and doesn't mind doing the dirty work while not getting the ball on the offensive end. Although when he does get the ball, he makes the right plays. High basketball IQ. 4 points, 9 rebounds.

Shabazz (UCLA), Kyle Anderson (UCLA), and Nerlens Noel (Kentucky) played exactly how I thought they would. Shabazz scored the ball very well in the 2nd half although most of his points came off wide open dunks. Everytime he touched the ball, you knew he wasn't going to pass it back which worries me. Is it simply because it's an all-star game or is this a bad habit? Kyle Anderson struggled a bit as his left hand was taped up. He handled the ball well, grabbed some boards, and had some good passes. Nerlens Noel blocked shots as usual and rebounded decently well. He changed a lot of shots though and he made a lot of slashers think twice, pump fake, and pass out. When you can get into your opponents head like that, you've done your part even if you didn't exactly block the shot.

Shabazz: 20 points, 4 rebounds
Anderson: 14 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists
Nerlens: 4 points, 5 rebounds 3 blocks, 2 steals

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
I think this was an All-Star Game

I like your breakdown TOL, but this sounded like an absolute All-Star Game to me and it seemed to point to the overall weaknesses of the class. Poor shooting, poor PG play and while the big men have a lot of potential, they are still raw. Tony Parker and Kaleb Tarczewski are coming off a game at the Hoop Summit where they each had donuts every other than the foul column. Wang Zhelin killed them. WANG ZHELIN! The guy is not bad, but being beaten by him has to alter ones expectations of immediate success at the college level.

Kaleb indeed can run and is probably the center prospect I like most after Nerlens Noel and Steven Adams. With that being said, he is sushi raw on offense and I am not sure how immediately he impacts as a freshman. He will play, but I do not in the least think he is ready to be much more than around a double digit scorer. If he scores more than Andre Drummond did (and Drummond played in the Big East, not the Pac-12), I would be surprised.

My guess on how he and Tony Parker got double doubles? No one boxed them out and they scored garbage buckets. Nothing wrong with that, but at the college level they will be going up against players who actually put bodies in front of offensive players for rebounds. I mean, just from the numbers you could see that this game was a mess. 9-24 FT's for the East? Free throws! Come on guys!

The fact that the Final score was 99-95, in an All-Star Game, just points to the inability of the guards to push the tempo and open the floor. I think this class has very little potential as far as immediate NBA production and long term major players. The fact that Nerlens Noel gets hyped up the wazoo shows how desperate they were for bringing excitement and star power. There is little doubt in my mind that if Andre Drummond had stayed in this class, he would have killed these bigs. Seeing how down everyone was after Drummond's lone year in college, just be prepared for what is too come.

I feel that Shabazz looks like the best long term prospect in this class, even with him needing to expand his offensive game and work on his off hand. My feeling is, he shot every time he had the ball because he needed too. In the Hoop Summit, Shabazz was depended upon for scoring and I am guessing the West without a real PG more than likely expected much of the same. It is an All-Star game and Shabazz was probably within his right to shoot at will, not to mention he drew 8 foul shots (his hitting half will not be a common trend).

Also, I doubt Rodney Purvis grows and I doubt it will matter much. He certainly seems to be one of the better NBA prospects in this class and I am sort of surprised he has slipped in the rankings as much as he has. I certainly think he is quicker and has more to his game than the SG's ranked in front of him by most services. He seems like a more competent version of Archie Goodwin as far as his handle and explosion to the basket. Plus, I do not think he has as much of a hitch in his shot. Shabazz, Rodney and Alex Poythress doing well in this game did not surprise me, feel all of those guys are probably top 10 prospects in this class as far as having a NBA future.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
MikeyV

How do you like Nerlens Noel?

I don't see how he'll average more than 14 PPG in college, even if he didn't have to play with Poythress and Goodwin. His offense is much more behind his defense and I don't see how he can improve his offense to average over 12 ppg in the L. Am I the only one that's not as high on him as I should? I simply do not understand how he's the #1 prospect over guys that are much more skilled such as Shabazz, Goodwin and Kyle Anderson.

Also, aside from Shabazz (who I think is more of a SG), which other SG in this class is better than Archie Goodwin? Apparently he's drawn comparisons of former Little Rock star Joe Johnson, which really shows how good his overall game is and how polished he is.

Who's your favorite prospect, by the way?

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Favorite prospect?

In the 2012 class? Well, I assumed if you read what I have written regarding it, than you would know that I think Shabazz Muhammad is head and shoulders the prospect I see as being the best down the line. I posted that Nerlens Noel and Shabazz topic, think we are relatively on the same page. Nerlens is the upside guy due to his size, length and athleticism, which tends to give people the idea that he could be a good defensive center. In a class like that, I guess that is all you need to be #1, but to me Shabazz will offer more than Noel at the NBA level. Definitely at the college level.

Also have a tough time seeing Nerlens get more than 10-12 ppg at Kentucky next year. I do not know if he ever becomes more than a 15 ppg (single season high) scorer at the NBA level, but he definitely could be another Marcus Camby. He reminds me of Camby at the NBA level, whereas Anthony Davis was pretty much Camby at the college level to an extent. Even with Davis living off of lobs and such, he is much more skilled on the offensive end than Noel.

Not to mention, I feel Davis is indeed a more aggressive rebounder and even defender. Nerlens may be close to the shot blocker Anthony was, but I genuinely feel Kentucky's defense will take a step back which will more than likely mean Davis' shot blocking record is safe. So, I do not think you are alone, just a few sites see differently than a number of people on here seem too. Poythress and Goodwin should probably score more than him, which does not mean they are better NBA prospects. But, I do not think either is going to fill in fully for whom they are replacing, either.

I do not see Archie as Joe Johnson, though I do like his ability to penetrate. Just not a fan of Archie's shot, which is something he can work on but is something that worries me a bit. Scout has Arch 5 and Rodney Purvis 6 while they have Gary Harris 1 and Rasheed Sulaimon 2. Harris and Sulaimon may be better shooters, but I am not sure they are better overall players. I actually think I might like Purvis more than any of them. Archie has the closest to prototype size, but my guess is Purvis is not far off and I like his quickness with the ball.

Archie might be the most explosive athlete amongst the top SG's and I have heard Russell Westbrook comparisons. Do not really see it, but he certainly has potential to leave for the NBA after a couple years of college. Don't know if he is a one and done, think a second year will probably do him a lot of good. Still think Sulaimon and Harris are long term college guys. Purvis might be the guy I see most as being a one and done, just feel he could be a killer despite (like every other top SG in this class past Shabazz if you include him at this position) lacking ideal size. Rickey Ledo will be interesting, but he is also older and those concerns about his attitude are a tad scary. Also like Marcus Smart, but he seems like a guy who might be a good college player for a few years.

I would rate Noel and Adams behind Shabazz, at least as NBA prospects. Kyle Anderson and Archie Goodwin seem much more college ready, but I think Noel and Adams will be more attractive NBA prospects by next year. Anderson and Goodwin will probably have more to prove, should be back for their sophomore years. Purvis and Poythress both look like possible one and dones, though again neither is assured a lotto spot right now, still have a lot to prove. Just like the way Purvis scores and thinks he has probably the most potential of any SG outside of Shabazz. Poythress just has solid size and seems to have an advanced body, skill set. Overall, this class does not have a lot to be excited about for the NBA level. Nerlens seems to be rated at the top for his potential as a legit center prospect. As most see Shabazz as being more James Harden than Wade/Kobe, I guess that is why people think Nerlens might be the better NBA prospect. Like you, I am not so sure I would not take James Harden over Marcus Camby. It is debatable, but I am on the Shabazz side right now.

surve
surve's picture
I see Noel just like I see

I see Noel just like I see Davis. Tremendous upside, but I just wish he would stay at least 2 years. These one and dones are very raw. Of course he wont stay past his freshman season, thats just the way it is now. Its like I say all the time, a guy like Noel doesnt need to go in the gym and work on his shotblocking, he is a natural at that....he needs to shoot about 1,000 15 footers a day and get someone to work on his footwork and start with one go-to post move....master that, then go to the next. His defense makes him a prospect...his polish will make him a player.

pistolpete7
pistolpete7's picture
pohani komarac: Here is the

pohani komarac: Here is the international box score http://www.jordanbrandclassic.com/images/stories/JBC-Int_finalbox.pdf

RSS: Syndicate content