This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar mikeyvthedon 13 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

With the announcement of the NBAPA looking to overturn the age limit during the next CBA, it of course could mean that as early as next draft, 2012, their could be a re-emergence of HS players entering the NBA. This of course would lead to a total reversal of the paper thin 2006 draft, when the age limit was instituted, and lead to a draft full of the best players of two HS classes. Also, if the prophecy many are having about players returning to school in fear of a lock out (which I have never believed, but could possibly happen), the 2012 draft could challenge both 2003 and 2008 for overall depth. Immediate impact is no sure thing, but it would be a very talented draft. So, my question would be, what would you think about the 2012 draft if it brought back HS players into the fold? Do you think it might be one of the better draft classes we have seen, possibly even the deepest in history as it might be combining the best of 3 HS classes? Also, who could you see entering out of HS?

The 2012 HS class right now appears to be incredibly stacked at the big man position, and I think that would mean we could have a number of early entry’s. I think it is incredibly difficult to evaluate HS prospects, as they have rarely played against competition near their size or ability, but in the end there will eventually be a team that is willing to take a chance on a young big man who could end up making a huge impact and possibly being better than the more seasoned or proven players chosen before them. This HS class also has a couple of unique guard prospects who I could see taking a chance. Here is a list of players I could see making the jump from 2012, plus where the top 5 might go:

1. Andre Drummond: Think he would be the hands down favorite for first pick in the draft.

2. Isaiah Austin: I know, he is committed to Baylor, he is paper thin, he is not a post. That being said, he is a legit 7 footer with tons of potential. I think he would be a likely top 5-10 pick, might make the jump.

3. DaJuan Coleman: Talented young, huge, has a nice skill set. Should be a likely first rounder, could easily prompt him too enter.

4. Shabazz Muhammed: He is a wing, but he might be the best player in the entire class and projects to be one of the top scorers of all HS prospects right now. I think he would be a likely lotto pick if he were to enter in 2012.

5. Rodney Purvis: Yes, he moved up a class, but I believe he would be eligible and he is incredibly talented, I could see him being a first round pick.

6. Cameron Ridley

7. Kaleb Tarczewski

8. AJ Hammons

9. Perry Ellis

10. Brandon Ashley

Too me, those are 10 guys who could legitimately take a shot at the draft out of HS. Of those 10, I think maybe Drummond and Muhammed would be anywhere close to contributing. Nonetheless, numbers 6-8 are huge guys with potential who some team would take a chance on and Ellis/Ashley could both turn into players teams might seriously regret passing on. It would be incredibly too see where these HS players would stack up, especially seeing that the 2011 HS class would have already played a year on the NCAA level and might have had questions raised about their games. It is true that many players who came from HS have turned into some of the best players in the league, but the age limit has been really great to have as far as evaluation and increasing players immediate impact. Just interested in seeing what people think about the possibility of bringing back HS early entrants. Who do you think would enter and who would you see as being the top prospects for the 2012 draft?

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I dont think they should allow high schooler to make the jump…The age to apply of 19 seems ok..Going to college gives them a sense of responsibilty..

I know its not fair to tell a grown man what he should or can not do..But if the rules allowing high schoolers to come into the nba was still in place..Can you imagine what life for Harrison Barnes would be like? Barnes was labeled the next cant miss superstar ..And he’s struggling to hit double figures against a team like Evansville..He’ll be sitting on a nba bench ,being dogged out the fans & members of the media…In college he has the comfort of his family and school work to occupy his time..and a coach that doesnt have to worry about losing his job as quickly as a nba coach does and he can wait and allow Barnes to find his game a nba coach cant…

I believe guys like Eddy Curry,Kwame Brown and Darius Miles would’ve been much better players had they went to college…Not everyone can be like Lebron or Amare and win Rookie of the Year right out of high school…

BothTeamsPlayedHard
    Participant

The union isn’t going to fight too hard on that one. They are just trying to find negotiating chips. The league and the draft are vastly superior since the league changed the rule. David Stern knows that the league has every right to place qualifications on people who wish to apply for jobs in his league. He really has no reason to make his product worse by changing the rule.

delfam
    Participant

Kaleb Tarczewski, keep an eye on this guy, he’s going to be special.

Toronto16
    Participant

Not going to happen.  The owners will not budge on the age limit issue. It’s better for college ball, the NBA, and the players.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I agree that they are just using it as a form of negotiation tactic, but I think it is interesting nonetheless. I have always called the age limit a guilty pleasure, as I feel that all in all it should be a players choice as to when they want to enter the league, but I do see the benefit of the age limit. Still, I do think this is an issue that more than likely irks quite a few players and that they may take a slight stance on. It is definitely not an issue I see as to causing huge problems with constructing the new CBA, but it is widely known that a majority of players do not agree with the age limit. I feel the league should have some right to get the most out of their investment, which I think the age limit has helped with a great deal, but I was just interested as to see where people stood on this issue. Personally, still consider the age limit a guilty pleasure, but in the past I know I was lambasted for selfishly wanting it to remain. Also, I for one feel that their may be a time when it is finally reversed to the old ways, and since this is a draft web site, that would mean big things when that day comes.

SwatLakeCity
    Participant

Mickeyvthedon, you do realize that if you gave high school players the choice of whether to go the NBA or college. All phenoms would choose NBA in a heartbeat. They wouldn’t care if they weren’t ready or if they were going to cost a coach his job, they would go anyways because of the money. Its sad but true. So in reality, in order to allow high school players to grow and help the NBA you have to impose an age limit. When you leave it up to the players, you loose so much because high schooler’s egos. 

joecheck88
    Participant

i think it should be 2 years removed from hs. but i agree its just a chip in negotiations.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I see your point, I guess, but it still would mean the top 5-10 HS players would make that an option. Usually only the best of their HS class entered (with any serious prospects of being drafted high) and a majority of those players probably did little to cost their coaches jobs. If you read what I was saying I was agreeing with the age limit in regards to teams getting more from their investments, but it is a rule that many players find unneccessary. The success rate of players that entered out of the HS ranks is quite high (even if their impact was not immediate), plus their was a string of three drafts where HS players came into the league and contributed at a very high level right away, so the physical capability excuse seemed slightly null and void. It is obviously not the NFL, where players need time to develop their bodies for the rigors of playing with the pros, so detractors from the rule were numerous as the NBA really had no proven reason to do so. The owners/league benefit from the rule, but I think the vast majority of players are against it. These players are of course thinking of the scenario they would be in and putting themselves in the players shoes. But, to say a player would automatically enter the draft out of HS if presented the chance seems to be nonsense. Every HS class is different, but I think worst case scenario is 10 players. 2004 had the record with 8 in the first round, and without those players that draft would have been incredibly awful. Still, every year a few players would have gone to college who were highly rated prospects. LaMarcus Aldridge was in this HS class, and I am sure that you would find that a majority of players would rather take their chance in college than become a second round pick, although 2005 had a number of guys taken in the 2nd round who clearly should not have been. It seems with a majority of the HS players who were drafted since 1995, many of them were drafted than later than they should have gone than the other way around. You can point to Kwame Brown, Robert Swift, DeSagana Diop and Gerald Wallace, I will point to Josh Smith, Amare Stoudemire, Blatche/Lou Will/Monta all going in the second round, Al Jefferson, Al Harrington, Rashard Lewis, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O’Neal, Kevin Garnett and of course, KOBE AT 13! All of those players went much lower than they should have in the grand scheme of things, hence maybe looking at the age limit and saying, "Is this really for the good of us?" if you are a player.

I still am for the age limit, I find it does keep some amazing players in college for a year and might expose the odd player as being much less than NBA ready. I do also believe that teams have the right to protect their investment and to see these guys go up against legitimate competition. Also, college does prepare these players physically and mentally for the rigors of NBA life much more so than coming out of HS. But, do I think their is much basis for the age limit? Not really, because their was no legitimate argument that players from HS were failing in the NBA. But, to say that all players would leave is just not at all true, but college big men prospects would take a big hit, that is for sure.

QUINCEY HODGES1

In what way is the age limit working right now?..Some of the players don’t wanna go to class and after the first semester they dont have to because they know they are gone after the season and there second semester grades don’t matter as far as eligibility for the rest of the season. It helps us fans because we get to see them in college but that’s about it.

Austin would be making a huge mistake if he came out

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

NBA teams that would like players to be more ready to contribute while they are earning millions of dollars. Academics aside, players may not “wanna” go to class and all, but that will always be something synonymous with college athletics. But, than why would you say Austin would be making a huge mistake by entering? He is a long way from contributing, is skinny as anything and has no real position yet, but how would him entering the draft and being a high pick be any different than if he went to Baylor? He will be a long way from contributing and probably would not play a lot regardless of when he came to the NBA. Like, you argue that the age limit is not working, than you say a person should go to college lol. I know you have your reasons, but my point is that if a player goes to the NBA our of college or HS, the only difference is that it might take them longer to contribute. Austin should definitely go to college and bulk up, work on his post game, but if he was a top 5-10 pick, should he not enter the draft? Would he be making a mistake or would the team drafting him be making a mistake? I just do not get one sentence statements without any explanation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login