This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar LakerQ 13 years ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

It is undeniable how much potential this draft holds, but maybe we should all slow down a bit. We saw this year how many prospects were reluctant to declare, and dont be shocked if it happens again next year. Especially with the fact that their are so many good prospects in that draft if guys like Bradley Beal, Micheal Gilchrist, Patrick Young, Quincy Miller etc. are not promised a lotto selection, they may not want to declare for the draft.

Lets get out of the mindset that every Freshman will be a one and done type guy, and live up to the potential at the same time.

LakerQ

I dont see too many people talking about the 2012 draft. i see more people talking about the 2012 college season and the POTENTIAL that the 2012 could have

nateoak10
    Participant

But I think the majority of guys next year will come out, couple that with Nash, Dwight, CP3, Westbrook, Rose, and Kidd as FA’s…… Oh my 

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

ummmmm are u really putting J Kidd as an exciting FA next year???? HAHA wow, i got a boner!!!!

Transformers boner

ninja12
    Participant

and require kids to be two years out of high school before they can enter the NBA draft?  Then, next years draft will be all the guys who don’t come out this year (plus international prospects and college players who are under the radar right now but improve next season).  It might still be an okay draft, but probably nothing special.

B Free
    Participant

I don’t know if they made it two years it would be basically what we thought this draft was going to be Barnes, Sullinger, everyone on else on UNC Henson Zelller Marshall, Perry Jones, Trisan Thompson, plus Jon Jenkins , the Lambs, Kris Middleton, Malik Waynes, Terrence Ross, Patric Young. Then we have the one or two guys who turn them selves into loto picks like maybe Trey Zeigler and Mouphtoau Yarou. In the end the draft always works itself out.

LakerQ

I forgot about the rule chage that might happe. The owners is pushing for at least 2 years before they can come out and lets be honest, in the end the owners are gonna win because there main income isn’t basketbal

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

While I do not share the major exuberance of many who seem to believe the 2012 Draft will be "the deepest of all-time" or some such claim, I think people are right to be excited about it. Personally, I did not think that fear of the lockout would be such a deterrent, after all, look at the 1998 Draft which had many strong underclassmen leave and have big rookie years. But, what I will say, is that I would rather have a draft where people are fighting for spots in the lottery rather than have people stretching into picks. The depth in this draft is thin, and that is thanks in large part to a decent number of players that showed not just promise, but also were putting up solid results to go along with it.

When you looked at the 2010 HS class, the big names as far as NBA prospects were Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones and Kyrie Irving amongst others. Well, when 3 of those 4 decide to hang around, it is something to be excited about, as whatever team drafts them should expect an additional year of mental and physical maturity. At the same time, this next class has some prospects to be excited about as well, plus it more than likely will have a CBA intact. While it is an unknown what will happen to the rookie pay scale, my guess is that it will not fix something that is not broken. It works, and if their are changes to it, they will likely be minor.

With that being said, even if guys who are typically one and done players were to stay, would the top of the draft not look a whole lot more promising than it does at this current point in time? I think their would be less question marks and more immediate results. Also, the versatility and athleticism at the top would be very exciting in 2012. I am not a person that is going crazy for the 2012 Draft, but I like its prospects far more than this years draft with the current players who have entered.

The reason people have the mindset of players more than likely being one and done is due to the fact that if you look at the best players in the NBA, many of them were either HS players or one and done. Not all of them, but as the years have gone by, a VAST majority. The reason? Many of the best players from each years HS class are indeed the best prospects in the draft. You have a much higher direct correlation between the best HS players, who have become the one and done guys, and them also being the best prospects overall. So, not every player will leave as a one and done, or live up to their projections, but they will still more than likely be top prospects come next year. Quincy Miller and Mike Gilchrist are two guys I think have a very nice chance of leaving early, even if they are not guaranteed top 5, but maybe more along the lines of top 10. I think their is going to be very little stopping them from entering, as opposed to this year with the fear of a lockout. 

LakerQ

Thats exactly what the players are saying as far as letting H.S players enter. They want to get rid of the one year rule and the owners want the two year rule. One rumor is the players don’t really care too much and that they will give on this so the owners can give on something that they really wat

Hitster
    Participant

If the two year removed rule from HS was passed this summer, I would guess that it would probably not come into effect until maybe 2013 or later. If you have players like Austin Rivers, McAdoo, Gilchrist etc going to college this fall and expecting to have the option to be able to be drafted next summer to change that without proper notice would possibly create issues.

Waiting until 2013 would give mean that any 2011-12 HS seniors like Drummond/Austin etc would know they would not be able to declare until 2014 and thus plan their college or even overseas careers for those two years around this.

Thus 2013 draft year would be like 2006 when Oden, Durant and co could not be drafted as HS Seniors and this time it would be Drummond and co as college freshmen if the rule change came in.

Thinking about the CBA, the player’s union would want to protect their current members interest’s more than future members surely so to get a more favourable deal the two year removed from HS draft rule may be one they would readily agree to in order to get a more favourable CBA on other issues. We know that David Stern has said he would like this rule in place and if the owners want it then there must be a very good chance it gets passed.

LakerQ

It would come into effect for next years draft just lie the one year rule did

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login