2012-13 Major All Conference Awards.....So Far

JM40
2012-13 Major All Conference Awards.....So Far

Here is my early look at the All-Conference Awards for the8 major conferences......

ACC:
Mason Plumlee-F-Duke
Erick Green-G-Virginia Tech
Lorenzo Brown-G-NC State
Alex Len-C-Maryland
Seth Curry--Duke
POY: Mason Plumlee-F-Duke
FOY: Rasheed Sulaimon-G-Duke

BIG 10:
Cody Zeller-F/C-Indiana
Trey Burke-G-Michigan
Deshaun Thomas-F-Ohio State
Brandon Paul-G-Illinois
Aaron Craft-G-Ohio State
POY: Cody Zeller-F/C-Indiana
FOY: Glenn Robinson III-G/F-Michigan

SEC:
Kenny Boynton-G-Florida
Archie Goodwin-G-Kentucky
Phil Pressey-G-Missouri
Mike Rosario-G-Florida
Nerlens Noel-C-Kentucky
POY: Kenny Boynton-G-Florida
FOY: Archie Goodwin-G-Kentucky

BIG 12:
Marcus Smart-G-Oklahoma State
Jeff Withey-C-Kansas
Le'Bryan Nash-F-Oklahoma State
Ben McLemore-G-Kansas
Pierre Jackson-G-Baylor
POY: Marcus Smart-G-Oklahoma State
FOY: Isaiah Austin-C-Baylor

Mountain West:
Jamaal Franklin-G-San Diego State
Anthony Bennett-F-UNLV
Kendall Williams-G-New Mexico
Mike Moser-F-UNLV
Leonard Washington-F-Wyoming
POY: Jamaal Franklin-G-San Diego State
FOY: Anthony Bennett-F-UNLV

BIG EAST:
Michael Carter-Williams-G-Syracuse
Sean Kilpatrick-G-Cincinnati
Otto Porter-F-Georgetown
Russ Smith-G-Louisville
Jack Cooley-F-Notre Dame
POY: Michael Carter-Williams-G-Syracuse
FOY: Steven Adams-C-Pittsburgh

West Coast:
Elias Harris-F-Gonzaga
Matthew Dellavedova-G-St. Mary's
Tyler Haws-G/F-BYU
Kevin Foster-G-Santa Clara
Kevin Pangos-G-Gonzaga
POY: Elias Harris-F-Gonzaga
FOY: Przemek Karnowski-C-Gonzaga

PAC 10:
Solomon Hill-G/F-Arizona
Shabazz Muhammad-G/F-UCLA
Spencer Dinwiddie-G-Colorado
Jahii Carson-G-Arizona State
C.J. Wilcox-G-Washington
POY: Solomon Hill-G/F-Arizona
FOY: Shabazz Muhammad-G/F-UCLA

mikeyvthedon
mikeyvthedon's picture
Some changes I might make

If you are talking about right now, than I think you have to have Richard Howell over Lorenzo Brown for NC State. I know Lorenzo is still putting up numbers, his shooting has been incredibly inconsistent, though. As I guess you are talking about the end of the season, still have a few changes I might make:

ACC: Looks pretty good. Still have a feeling that James Michael McAdoo could make this list, call me crazy. Just feel he might do well in conference, but right now everyone on your list is probably more deserving (Again, Lorenzo Brown getting thoroughly outplayed a few times might make me reluctant, though I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he will probably be better around conference play)

Big Ten: Aaron Craft does seem like a perennial favorite to get All-Conference 1st Team honors, though I have been impressed with the early play of Keith Appling. If they do well in conference, could see Appling getting honors over Craft.

SEC: Well, I might have said Boynton as well at the beginning of the year, but unless Florida full out dominates the conference, will be damned if I know what he has done much better than Archie Goodwin right now. Even Nerlens Noel's early play leads one to believe he could have a chance at POY honors (certainly defensively). Would easily take Laurence Bowers or Alex Poythress over Mike Rosario as well. Florida could win the conference, but Kenny Boynton does little to lead me to believe he will be more impressive than a Goodwin, Noel, Bowers or Flip Pressey in conference play for the POY honors.

Big 12: Guess you are giving the freshman of the year award to someone besides the POY, though Marcus Smart is indeed a frosh. Also think that McLemore will be in conference POY contention as well, as a redshirt freshman. No major gripes besides that, though I will say that if Myck Kabongo gets his eligibility granted could see him making some definite noise in Big 12 play.

Mountain West: They are pretty solid this year. Franklin is the reigning POY, though I think it could be a battle between he and Bennett if he remains healthy. Think that Moser is out of it after that dislocated shoulder, might not be back until a few weeks after the new year. Not to mention, Bennett has completely stolen his thunder and Moser had not made a smooth transition to being more wing oriented. Old running joke here, but I think AI's brother Colton might be up for a possible spot. Colorado State should be tough once again and gun for a tourney spot, he is leading the way and has looked pretty solid which should carry over to conference play. Plus think Deonte Burton definitely has to be in the running as well, would take him for Moser's spot.

Big East: First team looks dead on, well done. This is a deep conference but I do not see anyone more deserving than the 5 guys you listed unless someone really steps up once league play begins. Have to say that while I am not as down on Adams as many, think that Jakarr Sampson has to be the favorite for freshman of the year. He may not be Moe Harkless, but he looks like he should win the Big East Freshman award much like Moe did last year.

West Coast: No major issues with the teams and have to believe that Harris looks like Gonzaga's most likely to win the POY, plus they should dominate conference. Anthony Ireland is shooting lights out and Brandon Davies is playing really well right now, think they deserve consideration. One other guy to watch for is Kelly Olynyk, has looked quite good early on and should do very well in conference play.

Pac 12: Allen Crabbe has looked really good early on and should be among POY faves. Plus while I think Dinwiddie has been great, Andre Roberson is still the life blood of that Colorado team. Those guys are probably my two early favorites as well as Shabazz for POY. Solomon Hill is definitely in the running as well as I do believe Zona will be the best team in the conference, just think that their may be better POY candidates. Can't wait to see Zona play Florida next weekend. If we are going off of early play, Jahii Carson should be in the conversation for freshman of the year. Have a lot of confidence in Shabazz and still expect UCLA to be a much better team in conference than ASU, but Carson has been fantastic. Think that Shabazz will be the best freshman on his team once conference play roles around, just also have to say Jordan Adams has helped UCLA bail out of a couple jams early on and seems like a top freshman as well, especially with UCLA having very little depth right now.

JM40
I see your point on several of these......

I can see what you're talking about on several of these;
ACC: I think McAdoo is top 5 player in the ACC, but I hesitated to put anyone from UNC on the 1st team at the moment. I put Lorenzo Brown down ahead of Howell and Leslie because of the role he plays for a top ranked team that compliments his stats. Howell has clearly been their most effective player, though.

SEC: I think Goodwin will make a strong push for POY honors, but for some reason I think Boynton and Florida will have good enough seasons to take it home. I do agree that at the moment I looked over Bowers, he certainly deserves the nod before Rosario. I picked Rosario with the thinking that 2 players might be selected from the eventual conference champs, and being that I also selected 2 Kentucky players I felt Florida deserved 2 as well.

Big 10: I agree that Appling deserves 1st team consideration. If Ohio State dips at all, he will surpass Aaron Craft. At the moment though, I think Craft has a slight edge. I also think Dre Hollins could be in the mix.

Big 12: I selected Austin as FOY as I thought if Smart was POY they might select someone else. I like Smart as POY over the Kansas stars at the moment. McLemore is a beast, but Smart is more valuable to his team I think. Withey will get major consideration for National Defensive POY, which puts him in the mix too.

MTN West: I didn't know about Moser or I would have left him off. I would definitey replace him with Deonte Burton. I think Jamaal Franklin is a beast, and will be the eventual POY. Bennett will be a close 2nd.

Big East: I picked Adams as FOY assuming his conference play is much better, and he is closer to 10 and 8 by then. If not, Sampson is a FOYcandidate. Smith-Rivera from Georgetown and Coleman from Syracuse are others.

West Coast: I think Olynyk might creep up, too. At first I saw a log jam at the C spot (Olynyk, Dower, and Karnowski). It seems like they co-exist well, and if Harris can slide a bit to the 3 there will be plenty of minutes for all.

PAC 10: I like Roberson, just not as much as Hill. And I hope I keep depreciating Shabazz, but UCLA's early performance has me doubting their overall success. My pre-season team had Shabazz and Travis Wear. Crabbe is tough, but Cal will struggle in the conference and I think his numbers might drop.

RSS: Syndicate content